[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any tips on how to spraypaint a bike?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 2578349476_94bf0686b0.jpg (113KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
2578349476_94bf0686b0.jpg
113KB, 500x375px
Any tips on how to spraypaint a bike?
>>
Powdercoat it instead
>>
>>906837
No.
>>
You either invest in a new Frameset because spraying it by a professional is simply too overpriced, or you try to do the job by yourself and deal with all the downsides
>>
use the bqg faggot
>>
File: BIKE_FRIDAY_LOGO.jpg (391KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
BIKE_FRIDAY_LOGO.jpg
391KB, 1024x768px
>>906834
•Make sure the frame is free of any old paint, dust, dirt, or grease. wash it down several times with alcohol.

•Prime the frame. Use a good quality spray primer. Primer usually dries quickly. Do 3 coats. Lightly sand between each coat with 400 grit sandpaper. Let it dry for 48 hours.

•Use high quality spray enamel. Buy extra nozzle tips. You don't want the nozzles to become clogged and start spitting paint turds.

•Keep the can 8-10 inches away from the bike frame when spraying. Never start a paint "stroke" directly on the bike frame. Always start off the frame and move the can smoothly and steadily across the frame and then off. Never stop in the middle.

•Don't over-do it. Allow the paint to dry 20 minutes between coats. Lightly sand with 400 grit or higher if needed.

•Once the desired appearance is achieved, let the paint cure for 72 hours.

*Top coat with a diamond hard clear coat. Do as many coats as seems necessary. Let it cure for a few days.

•You now have the satisfaction of having painted your frame following professional protocols. Enjoy it for years to come.
>>
>>906834
If you're going to DYI, put some time into it. Take everything off the frame, and I mean everything. Tape off anything with a thread as best you can. Set up some kind of a jig to hold the bike as you're doing it, and wear latex gloves when moving it around.
>>
>>906844
Are you third-world poor or something? Powdercoating is superior in just about every way aside from price.
>>
>>906844

Enjoy your ugly ass finish then.
>>
File: eew.jpg (49KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
eew.jpg
49KB, 500x333px
>>906851
>that stem

Alternately, if you're lazy and dont need an ultra clean finish, you can use the existing paint as primer. Just sand it nice and smooth. If you're careful you may even be able to revert back to the stock paint with some thinner and a new coat of clear. This will depend on the type of paint you use though.
>>
>>906834
Carbon - NEVER do it, you will damage the fibers in the frame and ruin it

Aluminum- When you sand the frame the grit in the sand paper will get embedded into the aluminum and look like shit

Steel- http://www.sheldonbrown.com/paint-prep.html
>>
>>906922
What's wrong with that stem?
>>
>>907003
I find it aesthetically displeasing in both shape and finish.
>>
File: BikeFriday9318.jpg (425KB, 1366x914px) Image search: [Google]
BikeFriday9318.jpg
425KB, 1366x914px
>>907034
Ah, well.. To each, his own.
>>
Very quickly: lots of cyclists get pissed off when you spraypaint their bike neon pink so work fast to get decent coverage before they realize what's happening and have a good escape plan in place for afterwards.
>>
>>907099
oooh. you better run, son!
>>
>>907097
Hmm. Let me guess -
Custom built travel bike.
Chris King headset.
Ultegra gruppo with brifters.
Brooks saddle.
Ortlieb panniers.
Schwalbe Marathon kevlar tires.

Fucking rad, no doubt. But, I bet it cost a shiny stack of quarters...
>>
OP here,
Thanks for the tipps!

Greetings
>>
>>907097
>>907116
Dear lord, the derailleur. Hope he fixed that before riding for too long!
>>
>>907126
Wtf? I think he should have used a short cage derailleur or is it just fucked up?
>>
>>907142
Looks like he cross-chained the fuck out of it. Can't run a triple chainring without a long-cage.
>>
>>907223
IDK. Looks like the chain is off the ring.
>>
>>907232
It's not. It's on the lower gear. He's just got a way, way to long chain. That's a mid cacge derailleur that is more than capable of a road tripple.
>>
But why on earth you'd want to run a tripple, with that cassette, on a bike with those wheels is beyond me.
It'd be faster to get off and walk.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.