[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bike Questions General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 48

File: NewThread.jpg (42KB, 762x505px) Image search: [Google]
NewThread.jpg
42KB, 762x505px
/BQG/ - Bike Questions General - Hiduminium Edition

Previous Thread: >>899098
>>
when a motorist cuts me off, what should I use as a blunt object to break his brake light?
I have a U lock and that does the trick, but Ive lost one before because it fell out of my hands.
Would a wrench be a good substitute? Also handy to have a wrench on you, but that also raises the issue of having to pull a wrench out quickly, where the U lock I can get off in an instant
>>
File: munchkins.jpg (739KB, 1437x1078px) Image search: [Google]
munchkins.jpg
739KB, 1437x1078px
>>902706 (OP)
>a U lock
you need, a cable lock, togo withit.
pic>drugs.
>>
>>902709
No way this is the real bacon.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-01-16h52m23s100.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-01-16h52m23s100.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>>902707
Honestly I just carry mace these days (And a u-lock, obviously).

I've got no problem politely letting someone know that they did a bad, but sometimes they get aggressive and want to yell and fight. Then you just burn their fucking eyes out, because they obviously don't use them while they're driving.

Pic semi-related. Stopped to *politely* let this guy know he was parked in a bike lane, he got all shitty right away. Cagers will defend this.
>>
File: 8hwRrXA.gif (1MB, 410x306px) Image search: [Google]
8hwRrXA.gif
1MB, 410x306px
There are two types of cyclists, those who start cycling to save money and those who spend every penny they have for the latest carbon bling. There is no in-between prove me wrong. Protip: You cant
>>
File: 1447707898219.jpg (96KB, 1024x756px) Image search: [Google]
1447707898219.jpg
96KB, 1024x756px
fags itt.

I got no questions, I know everything.
>>
>>902730
>OTS with suicide levers, spring seatpost, and pillow seat
>trying to do things with an adjustable spanner crescent wrench hand tool
I felt that gif in my soul. Damn working at a bike shop has spoiled me
>>
>>902706
Internal vs External cables

Whats the pros and cons of each?
>>
>>902730
I don't own any carbon but I spend more money on bike stuff than anything else
>>
>>902756
Internal
Pros:
Aero

Cons:
Annoying to install

that's about it
>>
>>902730
I'm a cyclist who will spend money where it matters, and doesn't where it doesn't.

I've probably got about $3000 sunk into bike stuff in the last year, none of it is "the latest" and none of it is carbon.
>>
>>902774
>>902730
Oh and lest anyone get the wrong idea, I'm very, very anti-retrogrouch. I'm saying stuff that's been out for a few years is fine, you just don't need to get the 2016 model when it's 2015.
>>
>>902775
am I the only one who enjoys riding both vintage old technology and cutting edge new shit?

I think they offer different experiences that are both a lot of fun
>>
>>902784
I think old stuff is cool, don't get me wrong, just don't go around claiming disc brakes are bullshit or barcons are somehow better than than brifters outside of some really extreme and very unlikely scenarios, and it's all good.
>>
>>902787
>>902787
Well I wouldn't say disc brakes and brifters suck, but I'd say there are definitely downsides to both.

Haven't used bar-ends but when I go back and forth between my bikes with downtube shifters and brifters, I have a hard time reaching the shifters from certain hand positions - depending which system I'm using.

As for disks there's the whole brake steer / huge load on fork issue, and weight & balance.

Still great technology for most applications tho
>>
>>902789
Not really sure what you're saying about brifters, you're saying you have an easier time reaching downtube shifters than just flicking the lever your fingers are already touching?

As far as "load on fork", I'm pretty sure it's not possible to mount discs on a non-disc fork, and any disc fork is designed to handle the loads. The windup thing is a little weird but the advantages far outweight the disadvantages.
>>
File: maxxis.jpg (97KB, 700x464px) Image search: [Google]
maxxis.jpg
97KB, 700x464px
What are the best mountain bike tires? I'm riding temperate rainforest terrain (Vancouver area,) roots, tightly packed dirt and big round rocks and stuff and I want to get something in a 2.25". 2.1 isn't really cutting it for me in terms of traction. For road I swear by Michelin but someone told me they aren't really very good in the mountain bike realm.
>>
>>902769
>Pros: Aero
can I get some wind tunnel calculations of how many watts that saves me?
>>
>>902795
Hey man I'm just answering the question. I think internally routed cables are a waste of time and energy.
>>
>>902793
when I ride with my hands beside the stem, or at the end of the bars, downtubes are easier to reach for than brifters. If I'm on the hoods or in the drops, brifters are easier to reach.
>>
>>902796
the only real benefit is a less cluttered handlebar area.
that's about it.
>>
>>902769
>>902795
>>902796
>>902826
Are we talking about internal bar or internal frame?

For a frame it's 2-5 watts. For fully hidden cables where it goes through the bar and stem directly into the frame, even more because there is a lot of turbulence where all the cables cross up front, and the cables are the first thing to see the air.

Internal frame cables are not a big deal. It's not hard to change cables if you use a liner, and you only change cables every few years and it keeps most of the cable run shielded.

If you're a home mechanic, having to deal with a routing mistake once a decade and spending a couple of hours fishing out the cable at worst is not a big deal.

The people who complain about it are shop mechs because instead of $15 for a 5 minute job, it's now $15 for a 15 minute job, or hours if they mess up and are bad at routing cables. Internal cables killed the profit margin on switching out cables.
>>
>>902707
I won't tell you whether or not to do this (though I would suggest that if you do it, you do not do it to someone for making an honest mistake, as that just makes cagers hate us more; limit it to people that intentionally cut you off) I would advise you to keep in mind that you can get charged with armed assault and other stuff for doing that so be careful.
>>
>>902756
Internal is aero, protects from exposure to elements making them last slightly longer, prevents them from getting snagged, and makes it easier to carry the bike and put it in a workstand etc without cables getting in the way.

Con is difficult and time consuming as fuck to install.

Generally, external is best. Internal is best for high end road racing bikes.
>>
>>902833
these are people usually trying to do hit and runs on me.
Bring on assault on property when you've done a much worse felony
>>902714
I do carry mace, this is just to hit a brake light. Mace wont get a brake light

what the fuck are cagers?
>>
>>902843
>what the fuck are cagers?

first day, huh?
>>
>>902858
yes, it actually is
>>
>>902843
>"cager"?
It's a motorcycle rider's term that works well from the perspective of bicyclists and pedestrians too:

A cager is someone so mentally conditioned to traveling in a 4-wheeled cage that they become oblivious to anyone who's not in a cage - this makes them hostile and/or dangerously inattentive out on the road.

Watch this great 1950's Disney cartoon if you need further clarification of the concept:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk-c5jlk48s
>>
File: 501207.jpg (143KB, 1920x1038px) Image search: [Google]
501207.jpg
143KB, 1920x1038px
what kind of bike would you need to do this?
>>
>>902888
One with a rack?
>>
>>902888
Any bike with a rear rack (and ideally a strong rear wheel and wide tire)
>>
>>902888
A carbon bike with carbon rear back and aero handlebars
>>
>>902890
>>902891
Most racks are rated to 25kg
Most bitches are 50+ kg
>>
>>902901

Would her lard ass crush the rack?
>>
>>902901
get one from Surly or Tubus?
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-01-23h12m31s93.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-01-23h12m31s93.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>>902843
You shouldn't just bash people's cars in because they were stupid to you, I'd always advocate politely explaining to them what they did wrong, and seeing if you can convert them out of their cager mindset. This obviously is only going to work a fraction of the time. If you're going to back people's cars in, you should be using a u-lock, because it's something you'll already be carrying. The thing is, if you're carrying a billy club around and the police get involved, you've got some explaining to do. The u-lock is pretty easy to explain away.

TL;DR: I don't always cagerage but when I do it's with a u-lock.
>>
File: SRAM RED Hydro HRR Caliper.jpg (1MB, 2014x2611px) Image search: [Google]
SRAM RED Hydro HRR Caliper.jpg
1MB, 2014x2611px
How do hydraulic rim brakes compare to hydraulic disc brakes for stopping power and modulability?
>>
>>902901
I have a shitty lifeline rack rated to 25kg and its supported people many times without bending or flexing at all
>>
>>902927
If someone cuts me off I usually just give them a stiff boot to the bumper
Little wake up call usually does the trick
>>
I've read the articles from Google, but I don't think it's enough.
I want to know everything I can do to improve. I know the obvious things. (e.g. Lose weight if needed, proper nutrition, ride more, ride faster, proper gear, higher cadence if needed,etc...) winter time restricts the time I have to ride because of ice/snow and sunlight. Is there anything I can do inside other than exercise bike?
>>
>>902927
To be fair though, in that case the snow and muck are obscuring the lane markings, that person probably just wasn't familiar with how they were supposed to park on that street.

>>902930
Hydraulic rim brakes give exactly the same power as cable-actuated rim brakes, the only difference is they offer a smooth lever feel - a very small benefit for the additional complexity and cost, which is why they've never gotten popular.
>>
>>902944
You can do core exercises, and if you want to get as much training as possible with limited ride time you should familiarize yourself with interval training.
>>
>>902944
A desk cycle
Use it while youre watching tv or sitting at a desk. Its like a recumbent without the fagginess
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-02-12h03m23s101.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-02-12h03m23s101.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>>902945
Yes, I agree. I didn't get too mad at that guy.

This guy, on the other hand.......

I'm pretty sure he knew it was a bike lane.
>>
>>902888
>no helmets
DROPPED
R
O
P
P.
E
D
>>
>>902944
Get the Cyclist's Training Bible: https://www.velopress.com/books/the-cyclists-training-bible-4th-ed/

You're going to lose endurance no matter what. The goal is to keep the losses minimal. Indoors, you can use a trainer or rollers. I use a trainer for space and convenience reasons. Also focus on core workouts, never skipping leg day, etc.

Nutrition is an interesting topic. I know guys who have had success in going vegan (yes I know about durianrider and his retardation that makes vegans look bad). One of the biggest WTFs I had this year is when one of my vegan buddies got into a major MTB accident and broke his back. Two months later he was out of his wheelchair and crushing hills like normal, which is pretty ridiculous. He thinks it has something to do with his diet, and his doctor was going to do a study on him to figure out if that's the case or if something else contributed to his absurdly fast recovery.
>>
>>902901
Weight ratings are always conservative because of lawyers.

Also those city bikes that the Japanese and Danish use are built like fucking tanks.
>>
>>902957

Know any good Japanese brands they would sell in the west?
>>
>>902954
>To afraid to go about daily activities without excessive safety gear
CAGE LOGIC
A
G
E

L
O
G
I
C

>>902956
It should be noted that 'The Cyclist's Training Bible' is really only of any use to road riders and track endurance riders. It has very little to offer cyclists of most disciplines.
>>
>>902945
And that is lower than disc brakes, is that right? I've only ever owned one bike and it has hydraulic disc brakes, so I'm unfamiliar with what rim braking is like in general.
>>
>>902971
Thankfully it applies to me, the guy to whom he was replying.
>>
>>902972
>And that is lower than disc brakes

well, yes, but bear in mind that dick breaks on a bicycle are massive overkill for most conditions.

if you squeeze your lever all the way and clamp down a rim brake, your wheel WILL lock up, quickly and easily if dry. even in wet conditions, it will take a few revs for it to kick in, but it will (unless you're running inferior/broken/worn out equipment) so take space precautions in the rain (rain requires more caution across the board, so not a huge factor IMO)

(and yes, modulation is better than locking up, I'm just saying, the braking power is there)

discs are better modulated, work better in wet, and debris doesn't grind into your sensitive rim but rather a tough, more easily replaced rotor; so offroaders like 'em. bike companies like 'em because they can make more money selling "the new standard" to suckers.

take your pic.
>>
>>902979
>Disc brakes are a meme
>Here's a common scenario in which rim brakes are objectively inferior
>Don't be a disc brake idiot though
Please go be a faggot somewhere else.
>>
>>902967
AFAIK there isn't anyone selling Japanese 'Mamachari' bikes in North America, but there are a few companies that are importing/replicating Dutch style city bikes, which are essentially the same thing.
>>
>>902971
What would be recommended for other cycling disciplines I'm interested in mountain biking enduro style stuff?
>>
>>902794
Maxis easy rollers are grippy as shit, but they wear pretty quickly and are expensive. I tend to buy halo knobblers as they last forever and although they aren't quite as grippy as the maxis ones they are super cheap.
>>
>>902983
he can buy whatever he wants, and so can you, I don't give a fuck.

you don't need them. but there are advantages. if you want them, get them.
>>
>>902988
For mountain biking, 'Mastering Mountain Bike Skills' by Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack would probably be the superlative tome relating to mountain biking. I haven't read it, but it seems well regarded.

This video is very good for skills, but ignore the advice on pedal stroke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxJ3AfSPgj8
>>
File: 10144086014_1d3be72cd6_k.jpg (2MB, 2048x1535px) Image search: [Google]
10144086014_1d3be72cd6_k.jpg
2MB, 2048x1535px
>that crank

why?
>>
what is the cheapest road bike I can get with the 105 groupset and where?
>>
>>903009

>gold
>muh grams
>>
>>903014
gold is bold
>>
>>903009
I see these cranks and immediately want to photoshop them into nazi symbols
>>
Can I replace a chainring on my double crankset with a "triple" chainring? What's the difference?
>>
>>903009

Because
>>
I've been commuting to my uni, which is 7km by measuring my route in google maps. Now for less than half a sem I've been commuting with just normal shorts and cotton t-shirts and my running shoes. Crashed once and I've stopped completely and would look to go back to biking next semester.

I'm thinking of getting some proper clothing for biking this time around. Cycling shorts would be top priority, of course. Now I'm thinking of what top I should wear. Something that dries easily would be great. No jerseys or lycra because I'm just commuting, anyway.

What do you guys think of a long sleeved under armour? Something that I can also use outside of biking, like calisthenics just for the sweat wicking. Also long sleeves for sun-darkening protection.
>>
>>903020
Read up about "tripleizer" chanrings. You may also need a triple-capable FD/shifter.
>>
>>903039
No no, I just want to put a 52T "triple" ring on my double crank
I still want it to be a double
>>
>>903014
Wop bling is great
>>
>>903040
Yes you can, but the ranps and pins will be optimized for whatever tooth count the middle was, usually a 42.
>>
File: Honeycomb-Fabric.jpg (43KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
Honeycomb-Fabric.jpg
43KB, 360x360px
>>903038
UA stuff is good, but don't get hung up on brand names. Really though, there are so many good options for tops to wear when cycling (if you don't care about bike-specific jerseys) that it's not even worthwhile making recommendations - any fairly close-fitting shirt that's made of a lightweight material will do. I particularly like shirts made of breatheable polyester for warm weather.
>>
>>903009
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/mobi/d.pmp-cranks/
Capitalism at its finest.
>>
>>902927
No, these are people whom of which if had not gotten out of the bike lane, stopped completely in the middle of the road, or done some drastic movement, would have been completely and utterly annihilated. This is when, if they are at a red or near, will bash their brake lights out. These are people that I see in a mirror that is hugging the curb so hard that they would get red paint on their rims. People turning right onto your straight path. To be fair, I live in orange county, where most people drive sports cars that they cannot handle. as a county alone, have 1 bicyclist die each month because of HEAD ON collisions.
Ive been clipped 5 times in a year before I finally just used the sidewalk as a main way of going about. Most main roads are not wide enough, have NO bike lane, and the cars would have to risk hitting the car in the next lane, the bicyclist if going the speed limit, or coming to a speed slower than the bike to avoid passing.
>>
>>903102
whom of which have forced me to the point that if I had not*
>>
Is there some trend for not running any tape on bars?
I keep seeing bare bars online and off, what's the point? Just for aesthetics?
>>
>>903149

Yes
>>
why dont they make tires that are solid rubber (no air inside). They'd never go flat! and they could still be thin.
>>
>>903241
Solid tires have/do exist.

The problem with them is that they give poor traction and greatly improve the odds that your bike will skid during turns or hard braking.
>>
>>903241
Simply put, solid tires are shit compared to pneumatic tires.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#airless
>>
File: 0161.jpg (123KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
0161.jpg
123KB, 640x480px
So I have a trek 2100 but the deraliur hanger bent and broke a while ago.
So should I just convert it into a single speed and have a beater or just give/ throw the frame away and be done with it?
Are there any conversion kits that would fit a single speed chain (1/2")? Because then I could use a halflink chain for tension.
>>
Solid tyres also wreck your wheels and shake the spokes loose.

A fair few people have tried making foam tyres that are as squishy as air-filled ones but they always turn out to be heavy, not grippy enough and generally useless at everything except stopping punctures.
>>
File: 11671.jpg (9KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
11671.jpg
9KB, 300x300px
>>903246

Neither
>>
File: image.jpg (494KB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
494KB, 1440x2392px
>>903257
Forgot pic of the damages.
Will that work for vertical dropouts?
>>
File: thingie.jpg (105KB, 702x958px) Image search: [Google]
thingie.jpg
105KB, 702x958px
>>903263

I don't see why it wouldn't
>>
>>903246
SS w/ tensioner or build a wheel with an IGH. Either way it'd make for a fun project.
>>
>>903269
>build a wheel with an IGH
this mate, it's always nice to have something different. IGHs are pretty nice, you can keep it cheap with a 3 speed or go for an 8+
>>
File: dropout-g.300px.jpg (10KB, 299x299px) Image search: [Google]
dropout-g.300px.jpg
10KB, 299x299px
>>903263

maybe this one instead, designed more for the situation at hand
>>
What are Velo orange hammered mudguards like? They look amazing.
>>
File: j dunlop.jpg (33KB, 338x450px) Image search: [Google]
j dunlop.jpg
33KB, 338x450px
>>903241
That's what we had before Mr Dunlop came along. Pneumatic tyres are far superior in every respect bar susceptibility to punctures (and even in that respect, the drawback is small when proper precautions are taken).
>>
File: cyclingandimpotence.png (333KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
cyclingandimpotence.png
333KB, 600x600px
how not become impotent when riding a bicycle?
>>
>>903453
>Properly fitted saddle
>Pedal hard
>Stand up regularly
>>
File: 61TnjRzcnmL._SL1200_.jpg (123KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
61TnjRzcnmL._SL1200_.jpg
123KB, 1200x1200px
If I'm too poor for a gopro is an sjcam sj400 a decent replacement?
>>
>>903489
Take a look at xiaomi yi
>>
>>903489
A decent replacement for a GoPro is a used GoPro.

Unless you need looped recording, in which case idk
>>
File: 1438311475325.jpg (3MB, 3130x2075px) Image search: [Google]
1438311475325.jpg
3MB, 3130x2075px
Can anyone get an idea of what bike this is from pic related? I love simple-looking bikes like that and want to look into them
>>
>>903638
Looks to me a simple road frame, vintage probably without brakes and set at a fixed gear
>>
>>903638

Old ten speed brakeless fixie conversion. In other words, hipster trash.
>>
File: RatCinelli.jpg (160KB, 1018x693px) Image search: [Google]
RatCinelli.jpg
160KB, 1018x693px
>>903638
Just looks like an older lugged frame to me.
>>
>>903638
>Old steel frame
>No brakes
>Single speed
>>
>>903657
I meant the frame of all things, I'd prefer having brakes lol
>>
>>903658
arr rook the same
>>
Just ordered a replacement for my rear tyre that was the one that came with the bike, Vittoria rubino 700x25, only lasted 500 miles before a cut appeared on it... oh well. I've got a Continental gatorskin of the same size coming, how'd i do?
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (8KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
8KB, 300x225px
Will I kill myself with one of these?
>>
>>903689
I rode gatorskin on my brakeles fixie for 1200km. Would've lasted way longer if I had brakes and didn't skid
>>
>>903698
Mmm, nice to hear, thanks
>>
>>903697
There does seem to be quite a bit to go wrong here. Risk of wasting money on something that will never work really right much higher than risk of actually biting it. Not really seeing the value; just keep your rim brakes tight and save up those pennies for a real disk frame.
>>
>>903360
They're okay. They aren't really hammered, though, unlike Honjo fenders, and maybe a little more rattly, but they're also cheaper and far easier to mount. If you get them, make sure to get the newer style, which has one bolt per stay, instead of one bolt for both stays. More reliable.
>>
File: anime.png (8KB, 59x47px) Image search: [Google]
anime.png
8KB, 59x47px
>>903009
>>
>>903710
Can you get black Honjo fenders?
>>
Convince me not to buy eggbeaters. Okay I guess it's not a question?
>>
File: 14wmt-articleLarge.jpg (29KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
14wmt-articleLarge.jpg
29KB, 600x416px
>>903721
A whisk?
>>
>>903721

Cleats wear out sort of quickly. I go through about two pairs per year. Seals aren't the best and the non-needle bearing 1 and 2-series lose lubrication very quickly.
The 3-series is much better with maintainence interval, but still not great.

Be prepared to service them. A lot.

Otoh, the rebuild kits and parts are relatively inexpensive compared to the price of the pedals, and I still use them and Candys on all of my bikes.

Go for it.
>>
Should I be buying a 650 road bike instead of a 700?
I'm 5'4" with a 28.5" inseam.
>>
>>903784

Yeah good luck finding one
>>
>>903785

Lots and lots of brands offer 650c "junior" models. getting a hold of one should be no problem at all.

Vitus Razor 650 is the first to show up on a Google search, but there are much more at all sorts of prices.
Surly even makes a 650(b) Straggler if that's your thing.
>>
>>903782
Yeah, I was looking at the 1 series, obviously for frugal reasons, with a discount they cost almost like regular pedals. I'm sort of discouraged though, because I keep hearing they break a lot.
>>
>>903785
It's not that hard around me actually, a lot of the women that have bikes ride 650 plus junior models exist like the other person said.
>>903788
oh I never thought about getting a Straggler but that seems pretty nice as well, I've just been riding around on a single speed I got off of craigslist and it's a bit big for me but now that I realize how much I really like riding getting a geared bike feels right at the moment.
>>
>>903791

Well, not break as in fall a part, but the inner bearing needs oil lubrication. And there are no provisions for holding that oil in place, or indeed, circulating it through the bearing.
Not the best of designs...

Anyway, all that needs to be done it undo the cap, unscrew the outer bolt, pull the whole body off - spindle still attached to the bike, and give it a good wipe and a spray of oil.

The 3-series needle bearings can be lubricated with fat, that stays in place for much longer.
I paid 25€ for my EB2, and I wouldn't pay any more.

Just go straight for EB3. Or cheap SPD-system pedals.
>>
File: 1436340294611.png (845KB, 960x717px) Image search: [Google]
1436340294611.png
845KB, 960x717px
>kept getting punctures no fucking idea why
>'hmmm maybe I should actually check the tyre'
>big fucking thorn had gone through

I'm learning from my mistakes albeit slowly.
>>
I'm feeling a bit of arch strain in my foot at the bottom stroke at the moment, I think my seat is a little high now.

What's a good ankle angle at the bottom of stroke anyway? I ride toe down at the bottom so i feel like I need a little bit.
>>
>>904050
Everyone has their own unique pedal stroke; you're going to have to experiment to find your ideal fit. You could persist with your current fit for a while (no long or hard rides) and see if you adapt to it - otherwise, yeah, drop the saddle a little.
>>
>>904052
My only real concern is having to much of a toe angle at the bottom of a stroke.

It feels like having a seat high enough that i'm forced to dip a little is good for me, but how much dip is too much!?

It doesn't help that i've just gotten hold of a new seatpost with more setback and have to retool my entire setup.

It never ends anon...
>>
>>904050
>>904062
>arch strain
>ankle angle
I'd start by verifying that the ball of your foot lines up above the pedal spindle, and I'd rule out the possibility that your foot problem is coming from a combination of a small pedal and flexible shoes.

But after those, my suspicion is that your saddle is a little too high - if you're having to hold your ankle stiff at an angle throughout the stroke to maintain proper leg extension, or are repeatedly straining to reach the pedal at the bottom of the stroke, that joint can't fully contribute to your leg's motion, and that would definitely lead to discomfort and pain.

Can you spin the pedals comfortably in a low gear while seated and rolling downhill? You should be able to do this with no strain or and minimal effort.
>>
>>903974
I wonder how that piss bag was disposed of
>>
>>904072
I've just fitted new pedals that are a lot bigger than the ones i had before (pic related) so i'll see how i go now.

Haven't gotten out for a proper road test yet, have just been getting around the local circuit which is pretty flat.

I've checked my cleats and they're dead on the ball of my foot so it's unlikely that's the cause, ankle angle at the bottom is something like 30 degrees from side on so it's probably too much.

I know some people say to have a flat foot at the bottom but i just can't manage with that.
>>
What's the best chain bike lock on the market? Kryptonite New York Legend or the Fahgeddaboutit?
>>
>>904076
Try putting the cleat slightly behind the ball of your foot.

>I know some people say to have a flat foot at the bottom but i just can't manage with that.
Just ignore such rubbish.
>>
>>904082
>Just ignore such rubbish.
That's all well and good, but do you have some alternatives anon?

Also, I've tirelessly tried both behind and forward of ball of foot and i like to be right on it or a few mm behind at most, so that's pretty well sorted.
>>
>>904080

Fahgeddaboutit is the toughest but weighs like a fucking boat anchor. Don't know about NY Legend. In any case both are overkill. Any Kryptonite/Abus/Onguard ulock is good enough, and if your bike is too nice even for those, don't leave it out. Someone will steal your brifters or something.
>>
>>904084
Your own self-selected pedalling style is best.

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/ankling.html
>>
>>904075
> Implying it's not just water and caramel done as a campus prank
>>
File: IMAG0042.jpg (927KB, 2592x1552px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0042.jpg
927KB, 2592x1552px
Does this chain seem too short?
Rear is in the smallest sprocket.
Also don't mind the rust, asking because I'm about to replace it of course.
>>
>>904182

Shift to the biggest rear cog

If you can't, it's too short.
>>
File: IMAG0043.jpg (927KB, 2592x1552px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0043.jpg
927KB, 2592x1552px
>>904183
It does work, but it looks like this.
>>
>>904184
Dude instead of using your old chain length to measure the new chain, just do the sheldon brown trick.

Run the chain along the big sprockets front and back, but not thru the rear derailleur. Then make the ends meet and overlap. You want the length they meet at, plus one complete link (two rivets)
>>
>>904184

Yeah, looks a bit short. Do what >>904185 said to make sure.
>>
>>904185
>>904188
Will do, thanks.
>>
>>904184
It's on the shorter side, but it's not too short - the rear mech still has some capacity left. If it was too short the chain would run straight through the jockey wheels.
>>
>>903958
>I paid 25€ for my EB2
Damn, I'd buy them without thinking for that price. I guess I'll hold off for now and might pick up 3 if I see them for a really good price at some point. At least it's good to know that there is such significant differences between 1/2 and 3.
>>
>>904259
I actually did it the Sheldon Brown way now...
It looks exactly the same, so I guess the old chain was just fine.
>>
is there such a thing called bicycle insurance? One that covers damage in a crash,accident or theft? Something that is as extensive as a motor insurance. Canada btw. I don't own a home so no homeowners insurance for me.
>>
Should I get bars with 125mm drop or 133mm drop?

I can't find my normal FSAs in the size I want, and FSAs are kind of heavy anyways, so I'm contemplating buying a non-FSA bar. Given that I won't get the FSA flare, the shape is going to be different anyways, I can't decide if I want the 8mm additional drop.
>>
>>904349
What about renter's insurance?

But yes, bike insurance is very much a thing. Although I often see "does not cover racing" fine print, or something like that.
>>
>>904352
125mm all the way mate, I'll put in a good word for the PRO PLT bar as it's pretty good for the cash.
>>
>>904354
Don't own renters insurance, I should but I dont
I have a bike association insurance that covers injuries but not damage to the bike. I'll look into it
>>
File: MY FACE WHEN.jpg (62KB, 567x736px) Image search: [Google]
MY FACE WHEN.jpg
62KB, 567x736px
My bike was recently stolen and out of pity, my dad is getting me a new bike. I used to ride a single-gear and he sent me this:
http://www.jensonusa.com/!n8iU3FO3FTEWE9IgDQyuxg!/SE-Bikes-Lager-Bike
While I like the prospect of having gears, I like how much simpler/easier to maintain/cheap single-gear bikes are. But the problem is that I don't know where to look for cheap single-gear bikes. Pure Fix I'm told is way too expensive for how cheap the quality of their bikes are and the only option I've looked at is this:
http://www.gogogone.nyc/fixie/

My questions are: is there a better site I can use to find single-gear bikes or should I just go to a LBS and browse? It doesn't have to just be single-geared, if there are cheap geared bikes made for streets, please post links.
My other question comes from the size of the frame. I'm tiny (5' 5") and I rode a 50 cm bike, would it be a bad idea to ride a 52 cm or would the change in height be negligible? I know that riding a bike that's larger than you is a terrible idea but what if the difference isn't that bad? Or does it just depend on the bicycle and I won't truly know unless I get on that saddle.
pls help.
>>
>>904433
>http://www.jensonusa.com/!n8iU3FO3FTEWE9IgDQyuxg!/SE-Bikes-Lager-Bike
I don't understand your question, that's a single speed bike. You know nothing.
>>
>>904433
Why not just get a cheap SS/fixed from craigslist?
Also, the bike you linked is SS, did you mean to link a different one?
You could always look at bikesdirect
>>
>>904433

I've never quite 'got' the argument that SS is easier to maintain. Just shift to the gear you're happy with, never shift again, let it rust solid and you have an SS bike.

If you don't even care about the gears, why would you maintain them?

---

Sizing depends on the bike and you won't know unless you get in the saddle. Or compare geo to what you've ridden before.
Length is also more important than height, as long as you don't have to crush your balls or trackstand every time there's a stop.
>>
File: referential image.jpg (250KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
referential image.jpg
250KB, 1200x800px
is it a good idea to convert a bike like pic to a gravel bike?
how do i know if i can put it a 700x35 wheels ?
or should i use my time on other projects
>>
>>904433
the SE Lager, as >>904435 pointed out, is a single speed with a flip flop hub so you could also ride it fixed if you wanted. it's a fine bike, i have one that i use as a beater fixie. in that price range you would probably be better off getting a mercier kilo tt from bikesdirect tho
>>
>>904501

Every bike is a gravel bike if you put gravel tires on it. Just measure the clearance with a ruler or something.

Not sure those hoods would be too comfortable offroad though.
>>
>>902901
Looks like it's holding a japanese girl, so a rack would not have any trouble.
>>
Would a mid/late 80's Diamondback ridged mountain bike (MeanStreak) have an ISO or JIS headset?
I don't want to go and buy calipers and measure...
>>
>>902947
My sister-in-law has been complaining that she doesn't have time to exercise now that they have an infant and cooking/cleaning/etc. And I was thinking of buying her one of these for Christmas, is there a particular one worth getting? For the record I'm poor and she's not, and I have no idea if she'd use it or not, so I'd like something 'good enough' if that makes sense.
>>
>>904349
>paying some jew just in case
>>
>>904349
Have you considered insuring yourself? Save up ~€2000 and keep it on hand for small things that fail/are stolen. The idea is to avoid using insurance for things that you could reasonably afford to replace yourself (electronics, bicycle, etc).

>>904433
>Features a Cro-Mo seattube!
i.e.: the rest of the frame is gaspipe

>Mixing unit systems
>Using non-SI units not accepted for use with the SI
I can't understand your question about fit.

>>904471
>wat is chainline
>wat is ghost shifting
>wat is superfluous equipment

>>904545
That sort of bullshit always just ends up collecting dust in a garage.
>>
Not a bike question, but it certainly doesn't deserve its own thread: does anyone have that von Kármán–Gabrielli diagram that was posted here a little while back?
>>
I'm going to clarify because clearly, I'm retarded.
>>904435
Oh wow it is a single-speed, I'm fucking stupid.
>>904466
I have been looking on Craiglist but I just haven't had any luck. Every bike is either too big or WAY too expensive. I guess i'll just have to keep checking in hopes of finding a decent bike. I don't know what bikesdirect is but I'll check that out.
>>904471
For me, it's all the working parts of a derailleur that turn me off so it's just one gear on the chain, it's easier to maintain. I'm probably wrong but it's just the way I see it.
>>904509
bikesdirect again, I should definitely check it out.
>>904563
Apologies, my bike was measured in cm and I only know my height in feet. I don't really know if it'll help but I'm ~177 cm tall and the bike I used to ride was 50 cm. Would changing to a 52 cm be a bad idea or would it not matter?
But I think another anon answered my question well enough; I won't know until I get on the saddle.
>>
>>904577
5'5" is 165cm, I know this because I'm 5'5". You know nothing, Jon Snow.
>>
>>904577
A 177 cm tall rider would typically ride a 52 cm or 54 cm frame.
>>
>>904577
> For me, it's all the working parts of a
>derailleur that turn me off so it's just one
> gear on the chain, it's easier to maintain.

But again, if you don't use them you don't have to maintain them. On the other hand, they're there if you decide it's worth the effort to keep them working.

>>904563
Chainline doesn't actualy matter with a modern geared chain: There are accurate tests showing the losses being miniscule - as in less than the difference between two different brands of lube.
>>
>>904579

54-56, actually.
>>
>>904610
>Efficiency is the only advantage of running a perfect chainline
>>
File: TH8aLN1.jpg (984KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
TH8aLN1.jpg
984KB, 1520x2688px
So I was checking my fork out and spotted this scratched looking spot, can anyone tell if this will lead to catastrophic failure and will require either repairs of replacement, or if it's superficial and can still be used?
>>
>>904644
You're actually already dead and don't realize you're a ghost anon
>>
>>904644
I... is this b8?
>>
>>904651
this is my first carbon fork, I have very little experience with bikes and tend to be a very paranoid person, so I want to make sure I won't get fuck'd
>>
>>904653
you'll never really know until you're descending at 35mph and it snaps.
>>
File: Strong Steel.jpg (65KB, 700x484px) Image search: [Google]
Strong Steel.jpg
65KB, 700x484px
>>904644
If that's enough to kill your fork, perhaps steel really is real.
>>
>>904653
you'll be fine anon, that looks like it's just a paint scrape not even getting into the carbon.

congrats on getting into cycling.
>>
I ride a crappie commuter hybrid. Should I expect to get more than about 25kph out of it?
>>
>>904689
Depends how strong you are, what tyres you put on it etc but generally pushing those kinds of bikes much faster than that is hard work.
>>
>>904689
If you're commuting through a city with street lights and stopsigns, maintaining a 25km/h average speed is pretty good on any bike.
>>
>>904689
I imagine that's near the top end of a sustainable pace. That is taking into account you being relatively fit.
>>
>>904619

What else would you care about?
And don't say wear, because that falls right in with friction, and we've already established that the increase in friction is in the order of choosing the 'wrong' chain lube.

Unless you're just a pathological hipster and OCD double diagnosis that just have to go 'muh chainline', but then that would explain the superfluous equipment argument too.
I can see it now.
>>
>>904698
That's really good to hear. I'm basically trying to baseline myself for when I get a legit road bike in the next few months.
>>
what is the correct number of bikes to own?
>>
How does carrying weight affect calorie expenditure on a bike? Say if I'm carrying 30lbs of groceries or whatever?
>>
>>904828
You have to expend more effort to accelerate a heavier bike than a lighter one, so there will be some effect. How much the extra effort is going to depend on a variety of factors: how much does total bike weight change as a percentage of the unloaded bike + rider weight? Does the weight or the way you carry it (panniers or trailer) change the rolling resistance and aerodynamic resistance you have to overcome? How do you change your riding style and route selection when you have a heavily loaded bike?
>>
>>904814
Depends on how much free time, extra space, and unallocated budget you have.

If you are not dedicated enough to assess your needs on your own I would say the minimum is 1 and the maximum is 3.
>The first is the aspect of the hobby you are most dedicated too. Road bike, mountain bike, whatever
>The second is something you can take around town and not have to worry (too much) if it gets crunched by a truck or stolen by a methhead.
>the third is a bike dedicated to winter riding if you're into that shit, since road salt corrosion and water damage are real.

Since I don't have a real winter, and I don't have any extra spaceI see it mostly as 2+1-1. If I ever find want to mountain bike or take up cyclocross, I probably wouldn't have the time to do road biking anymore. If I ever decide to go on tour (with the plan to do multiple tours on the same bike), I could use that to commute around town.
>>
>>904832
So what I'm getting is that it's way too complex to bother with using the basic strava/myfitnesspal calorie counting that I'm doing right now.
>>
>>904841
If you're using one of those calorie estimating tools, you could just add add 30 pounds to your stated weight in the program and that would get you reasonably close to understanding the relative impact.
>>
>>904814

n+1, where n is the number of bikes you currently own
>>
>>904841
Even if you use a crude GPS track-only calorie calculator, you should see a difference with 30lbs of groceries on board, since you'd be riding slower and for a longer time.
Though obviously, the GPS track would probably be similar to a slow, leisurely ride, and thus your calorie expenditure would be underestimated.
>>
>>904846
Yeah I just set up a new bike entry on strava to account for the extra weight.
>>
>>904793
Noise and chain security, you mong.

>>904851
Don't put much faith in the energy expenditure estimates provided by those, particularly if you are going fast.
>>
>>904868
Do they tend to overestimate or underestimate?
>>
>>904873
Overestimate.
>>
>>904868
A lubricated chain doesn't squeak no matter the chain line, and doubly so for the flexible chains used for geared systems.

If chains skip you need a new cassette/cog. Not a better chain line.
If it comes of the cog it'll self correct on a geared system. You'll have a miniscule ghost shift instead of a dropped chain, and if it does come off completely you can lift it back on instead of having to loosen the rear wheel.

> wat is grasping at straws
>>
How do Aussie bike shops survive when wiggle is just so much cheaper than retail here?
>>
>>904902
Same applies to lbs everywhere. Even after tax and shipping, it works out to be cheaper. Bikes are a different thing though, people tend to buy those in person as they are able to test it. This applies especially to new riders who aren't familiar with geometries. Older folks and people who want to support local businesses will try to buy local.
>>
I need to buy a new pair of shoes, the old ones I had were given to me second hand and didn't really fit right.

What should I look for, fit wise, in a new pair of road shoes?
>>
>>904912
Same as buying any shoe, fit is a personal preference based on the shape of your shoe. Dont get fooled by the price. I have a $250 specialized shoe that doesnt breathe as well as my $90 giro shoes.stick to sidi/giro/nw, basically shoes from companies that make SOLELY shoes or apparel.
>>
>>904916
>basically shoes from companies that make SOLELY shoes or apparel.

not shoes but my favorite pair of cycling shorts are actually canondale classic 6. sometimes bike manufacturer branded stuff is pretty good, although certainly there isn't any reason to pay extra for that
>>
>>904912
Comfort, whatever fits your feet best. I like Bontrager RL Road a lot. I tried on a bunch, they were best.
>>
>>904689
Depends. I assume you mean average speed. Factoring in stop lights, and pacing yourself on long rides, 25 km/h is completely reasonable. If you go on a short ride in a rural area with no stop lights, stop signs, or traffic, and you ride hard, then you could go significantly faster.

You can always get faster. You can always get better. Push yourself, get faster, go faster.

>>904644
It's obviously going to explode, killing you instantly and violently.
>>
>>904570
fgts.jp/n

>>904501
Measure clearance between chainstays, seatstays, and fork legs.
>>
>>904433
If you want a single speed like a faggot, consider the All-City Nature Boy. Great bike. Single speed version of the Crosscheck would be worth considering too, but I like the Nature Boy more.
>>
>>902944
>>902956
Seconding a vegan diet. After becoming vegan I've been extremely healthy, never get sick anymore, lots of energy/stamina for long distance rides, etc.

Also, drink lots of water. Drink a fuckload of water.
And during long rides, eat Clif bars, energy gels, etc during the rides.
>>
Whats so special about cycling socks?
>>
>>905011
Why do cyclists only ever go full retard? I don't think I've heard of any vegetarian cyclists. Maybe it's because they are capable of keeping their mouths shut.

>>905021
Ostensibly, a wicking fabric (either polyester or merino most likely) reinforcement in toe/heel, and for the fashionistas, the correct length.

Whether it's actually worth a damn is a another question. In winter I wear holeproof explorer wool socks, think they're actually designed for hiking but they do the job quite nicely.
>>
>>905021
Nothing, nothing at all, and this is coming from someone who wears lycra every day.

Any old merino socks will do, thickness according to season and fit. There is literally no reason to buy non-merino socks under any circumstances, cycling or non-cycling, ever. So just buy merino socks and use them when you're on a bike or off a bike.
>>
>>905032
Well, what sets those merino socks apart from the cotton-synthetic blend one might get in a pair of cheap socks?
>>
>>905041
Merino wool is fucking MAGICAL.

It wicks well, it dries reasonably quickly, and it NEVER gets stinky.

Also good at keeping you warm, but when it's hot it somehow doesn't overheat.
>>
File: 2016-specialized-turbo-s.jpg (3MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
2016-specialized-turbo-s.jpg
3MB, 2000x1500px
Are there any electric bikes that can go ~25mph and are relatively cheap? pic not related
>>
>>905048
How fast do those $100 stink kits go?

Also I don't know if you care but it's quite possibly illegal depending on where you live.
>>
I want to make a transition from my full suspension mtb to a road bike...

I saw these really beautiful Specialized Allez for 1000$ and I really want to become a roadie.

Problem is - There aren't many "safe roads" where I live, and I'm kind of scared riding....
Wat do
>>
>>905051
>stink kits
Help me out, google doesn't show much for that. Also legality is not an issue, I just want to go as fast as possible on a bike for as cheap as possible. If I can't make it into the ~25mph range then I feel like there's no point.
>>
>>905054
I'm talking about the petrol powered china conversion things.

Alternatively get a TT bike and go fast.
>>
>>905043
>>905041
Agreeing with everything in this post. It is actually magic.

I try to buy mostly merino if I'm going to be sweating in it on a bike, the fact that it doesn't smell bad ever is the reason I switched from synthetics.
The old roadies I ride with turned me on to it and I've never gone back.
>>
>>905058
So the magic bit only applies to pure merino wool socks?
>>
Is there any real difference between a gravel bike and an endurance road bike with disc brakes and bigger tires?
>>
>>905080
Both are just marketing terms that can refer to whatever bike a company wants to label, the only definite difference I would expect between the two is that the "gravel" bike's stock tires would have a few small knobs, the "endurance" bike would come with wider slick tires.
>>
Thinking of getting a cross bike with disc brakes but...
how important are thru axles? people seem to emphasize how important it is for optimal performance and safety. It isn't an industry standard, just wondering if it's absolutely necessary
>>
Campagnolo 10 shifters + Shimano 11 rear = Shimano 10 cassette
>>
>>905089
Absolutely necessary? Nope - QR hubs with disc brakes are perfectly safe, the reason thru-axles exist is because they're stiffer and prevent fork twist during braking, which feels unsettling and can pull your steering a little bit to one side.
>>
>>905028
>I don't think I've heard of any vegetarian cyclists.

what fucking bizzaro world do you live in?
>>
How big is the jump from tiagra to 105 in terms of quality?
>>
>>905080
There's no formal difference, but I would expect an 'endurance bike' to accept tyres not much larger than typical road race tyres - 28 mm to 32 mm at most - but a gravel bike to accept at least 32 mm with mudguards.

>>905089
>It isn't an industry standard
Through axles have been out for over a decade. There are a few competing standards in MTB, but the market is dominated by one standard at each end for drop bar bikes. They are not absolutely necessary, but they do make life with discs easier.

>>905096
>Nope - QR hubs with disc brakes are perfectly safe, the reason thru-axles exist is because they're stiffer and prevent fork twist during braking
Wrong on both counts. Disc brakes can cause front wheels secured with insufficiently tightened QRs to be ejected from the fork. One of the main reasons why through axles and discs go hand in hand is to eliminate the possibility of such malfunctions giving rise to liabilities to the fork manufacturers.

>>905111
Pretty slight in the current gen. Tiagra should perform satisfactorily for anyone outside of racing.
>>
>>905121
Define current. The new Tiagra has barely hit the shelves.
>>
how to true and dish a wheel, cos i'm a dumbfuck.
>>
Is shimano claris actually garbage?
>>
>>905121
Tiagra chainset is still a bit of an eyesore (the last gen makes me violently ill to look at, though), and now only available in 52/36, 50/34, and 50/39/30. Not really sure what the point of that triple is.

>>905151
No, it's very nice.
>>
>>905144
Read the Sheldon Brown articles on truing.

>>905151
Claris works fine, it's just not as pretty or lightweight as the higher-end Shimano component groups. Also, it's an 8-speed group, which just means you have fewer gear ratios to choose from than most component groups currently on the market.
>>
HELP
I don't know shit about bikes but need something reliable to get me from my house to school once I move to SOCAL. I'm not really on a budget if it's gonna be worthwhile. Any recommendations?
>>
>>905156

That's rather broad.
>>
>>905159
The school is about a mile away and everything else I would need to go to is at most 3 miles away.
This would also be temporary until I can save up and get a better car.
The terrain is relatively flat and all paved.
I was thinking this Critical Cycles Fixed Gear Single Speed.
http://amzn.com/B0085HTF38
>>
>>905162
>>905156
>SOCAL
any ss/fixed with brakes on CL
if you're already considering some shit amazon bike just buy a 20 dollar bike at a pawn shop and call it a day.

I bought some dudes single speed conversion of a 90s rigid mtn bike for 20 and it's been my grocery getter for the past two years. highly recommend just buying local.
>>
>>905143
Hmm.

4700. They Road.cc described Shimano as having 'launched' it in March, so I assumed it's readily available by now.

>>905156
>>905162
Pretty much anything that rolls and has two effective braking devices would suit you fine.
Consult the >>>/bbg/
>>
Got an old road frame with only the wheels missing, is it fine if I shove a single speed wheel in the back? The rear spacing is 126, the ss wheel is 120, the frame is steel so I'm assuming it's fine right?
>>
>>905162

Don't buy any bike from a brand that specializes in SS/FG bikes. They're all overpriced trash.

Check your local CL for steel road bikes, and if you're afraid of gears, just don't shift.

>>905177

Yes, steel is reel. Careful with the chain line though, if the freewheel and chainring aren't aligned it could lead to chain dropping.
>>
>>905180
Okie dokie, I will get the wheel dished if I have to, I just needed a winter beater and this guy had a garage sale and I dug it up, only frame that was my size but only had a SS wheelset.
Good looking out, thanks.
>>
>>905177
Try to space out the hub a bit with spacers behind the locknuts first. The dropouts don't need many mm of axle touching them.
>>
>>905203
Hmm, I have a bunch of washers that fit the axle, are those fine to use? Just steel washers. I will attempt this in the morning, thank you.
>>
Poorfag bike question. When do you know if it's time to upgrade the crankset? I'm on 42/34/24 and I mostly use this city bike for commuting. What's the speed on the top cog you need to have in order to know "ok, time to go higher"?
>>
>>905232
It depends on what the cassette is, too.

But depending what the top gear is, at a cadence of 90 RPM should put you somewhere in the 35-40 km/h range.

So basically spin2win, mash less. That's fast as hell for a city bike.
>>
File: $_1.jpg (27KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
27KB, 400x300px
>>905235

35-40 on a straight road on an old steel frame with such a crankset, you sure that's doable? I can push above 30 no problem and keep it for a while on a good open road (above 25 is dangerous in the city, above 30 can be suicide) but keeping a steady 35 let alone 40? I just don't see it, not on this crankset, it's speeds I only get and surpass while descending, and it's not a "being fit" problem, I've ridden hundreds of miles over the past months, so much that I use the biggest chainring all the time unless it's some very steep hill to climb, then I go for the middle one.
>>
>>905237
gear-calculator.com
>>
>>905237
>>905232
Consider that back in the day, the typical chainrings on a road racing bike were 52/42 - if you're finding it too easy to cruise around on pavement with a 42t large ring that's not surprising at all.

Like previous anon was getting at, the way to tell if you need a higher gearing is to consider your cadence - if you're spinning out (can't spin your cranks fast enough to keep putting power into your wheel) often, and not just because you're bombing down a big hill, that's a definite sign you need higher gears.
>>
>>905242

http://gear-calculator.com/?GR=DERS&KB=42,52&RZ=11,12,13,14,15,17,19,21,24,28&UF=2100&TF=90&SL=2.6&UN=KMH&GR2=DERS&KB2=24,34,42&RZ2=14,16,18,21,24,29&UF2=2030

Data is as close as it gets. So basically if I get to 90rpm given my regular speeds I'm pretty much close to maxing out this thing, right?
>>
>>905246
If 14t is your smallest cog, you could very easily obtain a higher ratio by replacing your freewheel with one that has smaller cogs.
>>
>>905246
42x14 is an unusually low top gear for a road bike, so yes, I would put higher gears on your bike (you want to be able to pedal going downhill too, right?)
>>
>>905249

The truth of the matter is, the original was 46 but I don't even remember how it felt like. I changed the old cassette for the shimano (identical size) but when I replaced the crankset (stripped) I went from 46 down to 42 (because I needed the bike to get ready asap so I just shopped offline) and cunts only had top quality expensive 46-48 or regular peon 42.

At the time I didn't quite pay attention to speeds nor use this bike as much as I do now, let alone having a bike computer or anything, so I didn't feel like I was missing much. It's right now, being in optimal shape, that when I push the bike as much as I can I feel like "that's it?".
>>
Why is replacing a tube so fucking difficult? It takes me like, an hour. Is there a particular method to doing it? I feel like a fucking monkey.
>>
>>905266
Is there are particular part of the process that's giving you trouble?

For a method, watching a youtube tutorial will likely be more effective than me writing it out here - but if there's one key to keep in mind, it's that when you're moving the bead up and over the rim, you make the process much easier by pressing the bead (the part already/still on the wheel) into the well in the center of rim, this creates some slack so you can get the tight section on/off.
>>
>>905266

Yeah, you don't fully deflate it nor use tire levers, that's what.
>>
>>905041
>cotton
>athletics
>ever
>>
>>905054
Then buy some '80s cb for 500$ off cl and ride that at 55 mph all day everyday.

What's the point of it being a bicycle anyways?
>>
>>905266
Assuming you have the tools, it's just a matter of practice. It used to take me 30 minutes. I spent a weekend just changing it and now it doesn't take me more than a couple minutes.
>>
>>905249
>>905248

Went out a bit and pushed it as much as I could, 32-33 is the max I can obtain on level ground.
>>
>>905121
I think you have TA confused with lawyer tabs. The former makes for a stiffer fork/brake system. The latter is what prevents an ejected fron wheel.

There is also the Cotic (iirc) solution of mounting the brake in front of the fork, or not having open fork end at all.

TA = stiff.
>>
>>905356
No. Disc brake related ejections have been reported on QR forks with retention tabs.
>>
I just went riding in the rain for 6 hours and I see some grit on the chain and sprockets, should I clean my drivetrain? Any good links or videos on how to do this?
>>
>>905390

Wipe, brush with a toothbrush, wipe, lube, wipe
>>
>>905121
Nikoslav please go.
Disc brakes are with QR, and as you said, you've got to lock them down properly.
Some bikes are coming out with forward facing dropouts for added safety though.
In my opinion, its a feature that morons get their wheel ejected.
>>
Any good places to buy cheap merino wool jerseys? I don't care about design or fit, I just want something affordable that won't stink up
>>
>>905032
>>905043
>>905041

Do they have to be 100% merino or will something like 40% be ok?
>>
>>905418
>>905442
My experience is that the higher the percentage of wool, the better. And

>cheap
>wool
pick one - but on the bright side, wool clothing lasts pretty much forever if you don't abuse it
>>
>>905442
From reading reviews on a clothes company site who deal with merino, it sounds like even a small percentage of non-natural fabric means it can smell.

Can't say from first hand experience though.
>>
There's what appears to be a 1985 Panasonic Team 12 speed at my local flea market for $10. Should I cop it? Doesn't look trashed, but it doesn't have shifter cables so I can't test ride it.

Here's a brochure link I found
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B33yJ0-WiElONWZMS3g4Y1JJMnM/view?pli=1
>>
>>905478
YES

IMMEDIATELY
>>
>>905478
That bike has a nice frame with mediocre (but serviceable) parts, easily worth 100-200 cleaned up, would make a really nice rider too.
>>
>>905482
>>905491
oh snap, alright I'll see if it's still there in the morning
>>
what are good winter tyres?

more rain than snow, thanks for global warming
>>
>>905521
Conti 4 seasons, probably. Good puncture resistance and grip.
>>
>>905522
are they worth the top dollar?
>>
>>905534
That's really hard to say, but if you value your bike riding good tyres are one of the best upgrades you can make.

Also keep in mind they're more a road bike tyre compared to something like the schwalbe marathon which is more of a "city/tourer".
>>
>>905478
for 10 bucks pretty much anything is worth copping
>>
>>905521

As long as there's the risk of black ice, studded tyres are preferable in my opinion.
Schwalbe Winter (30-622) or Marathon Winter (>35-622) are good ones. And not terribly expensive.

About 25-35€ per tyre online.
>>
How important is 90+ cadence. I am personally finding 70-80 to be more comfortable.
>>
>>905675
70-80 is fine, optimal cadence varies from person to person
>>
How many hours a week should I be riding? I want to get fitter, ride further and faster. I weigh 260lbs and have been riding for a year.
>>
>>905675
Whatever you feel comfortable with
>>905718
As much as you can
>>
Who is the most cyclist-friendly of the 2016 US presidential candidates?
>>
File: CM-byHNWIAEcB9P.jpg (30KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
CM-byHNWIAEcB9P.jpg
30KB, 400x320px
>>905748
Your lord and saviour. Just hope Raiden appears to cut him down.
>>
>>905749
>>905748
>23:52:23
>23:54:56
Did (You) really have to samefag to push your retarded trump meme?
>>
>>905750
That's pretty quick for /n/ t b h
they're not wrong either
>>
>>905750
person who asked the question here

not samefaggin'

Kerry is obvious answer in overall politico terms but he ain't running.
>>
>>905750
S-sorry for making a shitty joke anon. I don't even live in america.
>>
Does putting a u lock through seat stays and the rear wheel put unhealthy pressure on the spokes?
>>
>>905873

No

Your ass puts much more unhealthy pressure on the spokes
>>
File: P51215-155402-min.jpg (3MB, 5248x3936px) Image search: [Google]
P51215-155402-min.jpg
3MB, 5248x3936px
why is it allowed ?
>>
File: 1424680075192.png (178KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1424680075192.png
178KB, 500x500px
>>906104
you mean those shitty bike racks that are a thief's wet dream?
>>
>>906122
Also the lefty "fork"
>>
File: 1437857053038.png (292KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
1437857053038.png
292KB, 500x497px
> Tfw you own a bike for a couple years but don't use it and want to sell it yet can't get yourself to let it go

It's just a bike but damn. Rationally, everything makes sense to sell. How do you guys get yourselves to follow through?
>>
>>906160
what are you, a woman? I sold my first bike last year. A little hesitant but there are always better bikes to be had.
>>
>>906160
dunno m8 I'm like that with one of my bikes, which I keep intending to turn into a 26" rigid singlespeed MTB even though I should get rid of it. It's not taking up much space so fuck it.
>>
>>906104
I can only complain about the purple fixie boat anchor. The lefty concept is a bit strange on a hybrid-style bike, but at least it prevented the owner of that bike from switching the front wheel to a 50 mm deep purple aluminum rim.
That owner doesn't need a front fender, nor does he or she care about weight even though he or she has what appears to be a carbon crank and handlebar
>>
>>906172
What is the deal with fixies and dished alu wheels with hundreds of spokes?
>>
>>906223
Well rear wheels usually have to be dished at least a little to accommodate a cassette or freewheel.
I imagine they go with deep section aluminum rims because they draw more attention to the bike than a regular shallow rim, especially when they are anodized or painted a bright color. Aluminum and a gorillion spokes keeps the costs down without sacrificing the main aesthetic intention, while keeping a good amount of strength so they don't warp as easily when whip skidding and negotiating curbs with the grace of a newborn girafffe taking its first steps.
>>
I posted a previous thread. My dad thinks how I ride my bike is breaking it. Not realizing that a mountain bike is built for riding. Sometimes I stand on the peddles to ride, he says your not supposed to do that. Sometimes I ride and have to "jump" off a curb. he says that breaks it. It's a mountain bike. There's no way normal riding can break it. What he forgets to realize is we got it from a friend of his that's let it sit for years. and a little grease doesn't "fix" anything. And he believes you can 'tweaker' fix everything from the gears to the bearings by taking them apart. Not realizing that derailleurs are precision machines where if they're taken apart they are totaled... How do I prove he's wrong and that bike is a piece of shit, and to make it "new" again. all the components need to be replaced.. btw how often should things be actually replaced?
>>
>>906241
things should be replaced when they break or reach the point of wear at which they become too worn for your personal preference. you actually can take apart pretty much any bike component and put it back together in working order BUT I'm relatively sure that your dad can't.

you're the guy with the other thread right? don't even consider swapping out all the parts on that shitty frame, it's not worth it. for a similar or less cost you could buy a 70's-80's road bike on kijiji or craigslist which will suit your needs much better and require less constant repairs.

oh and also to convince your dad bring the bike to your LBS/co-op and have them look it over, even better if you go in before hand and tell them what you're trying to do.
>>
>>906241
>Sometimes I stand on the peddles to ride, he says your not supposed to do that. Sometimes I ride and have to "jump" off a curb. he says that breaks it.

tell your stupid dad that i and a million other riders do this regularly. shit, i do it on an aluminum road bike.

>derailleurs are precision machines where if they're taken apart they are totaled

no. but like the other guy says your dad sounds too retarded to put it back together right. but it can and is done all the time.
>>
>>906241
>Not realizing that derailleurs are precision machines where if they're taken apart they are totaled.
But that's wrong you faggot.
>>
I have a u-lock that came with a bike mount. None of the mounting methods I tried actually work.

>main triangle - lock too long to fit inside
>top tube - lock sticks out to the side and rubs against my leg
>seat post/ seat tube - interferes with my leg / not enough tube to mount the lock alongside it

What do? I have a rear rack FWIW, but the mount is built for thicker tubes.
>>
>>906295
Put the U-lock in your panniers.
>>
Are surlys just meme bikes now?
>>
I'm wrapping my bars,
I'm supposed to go inward over the top of the bar, correct?
>>
>>906318
a meme if you ask me, or you may say they're a maymay

>>906377
easiest way to remember how to tape bars is to grip the bar and extend your thumb: you should wrap the bars in the direction that your thumb points, and spiral around the bar the same way your fingers do
>>
>>906381
Actually it doesn't matter which way you start from the bar ends. What matters is the tops, what the direction on the bottom changes is the way you pass over the hoods.

One direction on the drops is better grip, but worse crossover, the other has an easier crossover but worse grip.
>>
Just had my first cunty car driver experience lads.

>cycling down my lane
>car coming
>cars parked on the side of the road
>I'm cycling along
>car looks like he's slowing down to let me go
>overtake parked car and continue on my way
>hear a door open and 'What the fuck do you think you're doing you prick?'
>turn around and see a chavvy bloke half hanging out of his car looking back at me
>Respond with 'What? Fuck off'
>he says 'fucking prick' and drives Qoff

Even if I was in the wrong, what sort of person stops and swears at people lel? What a cunt.
>>
guys,
I'm building a 29er and never delt with shifting cables before.
I bought teflone lined inner cable and 2m of outer cable + 6 end caps and those alu things for the very end.
is that everything I need ?
>>
Every time I take off my front wheel to fix a puncture, I have to adjust the cones to stop it from wobbling when I put it back on. Why would this happen?
>>
>>906461

>car looks like...

There's your mistake. Always assume drivers have no idea what they're doing.
>>
Are QL2.1 Ortlieb bags supposed to be free to slide fore and aft while mounted? I could reduce this play by adjusting the hook placement, but the hooks still slide on the rails until they bump into the transverse rails.
>>
File: ql21_hook.jpg (119KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
ql21_hook.jpg
119KB, 1024x683px
>>906461
I think it's helpful to remember that a display of anger is often nothing more than a reflexive response to something unexpected, don't take it too seriously.

>>906465
That's probably everything you need, though there's some variation in the way different bikes route cables, so err on the side of ordering too much housing and too many housing end caps.

>>906471
The cones are working loose because they're not being held in place by the locknuts. Look up any of the articles online about hub adjustment and pay attention to the part where you tighten both cone and locknut against each other to trap them together - verify you're doing this correctly, if you are, the next step is to verify that the threads on the axle aren't stripped (uncommon but possible).

>>906477
Sounds to me like you're missing the proper insert that makes the hooks conform to the thickness of your rails. If you don't have the proper plastic piece it sure looks to me like you could solve the problem by placing some DIY rubber shims on the rack rails.
>>
How big is the jump in quality in midrange drivetrains? ie apex to rival or tiagra to 105
>>
>>906492
The differences are relatively small, mainly a slight decrease in weight if you get the higher end group.
>>
>>906492
Current 105 is eleven speed to Tiagra's ten.
>>
>>906494
>>906497
Thanks. I'm basically asking because there seems to be a fifty fifty split or so between tiagra and 105 in the bikes I'm looking at.
>>
>>906499
The old tiagra cranks and shifters are ugly as fuck.
>>
>>906526
What year/model did they stop being ugly?
>>
>>906532
After 4600. Current Tiagra gen is 4700.

FWIW the 4600 shifters have less shift cable friction and better brake lever ... er, leverage than 105 5700/Tiagra 4700.

The first by virtue of the "ugly" free hanging shift cable housing.
As opposed to the under the tape, hidden housings of the current gen, with the extra kinks and bends that are needed to conform to the shape of the handlebars and change direction within the shifter.

Shimano road tenspeed is _the_ worst system on the market with regard to shift cable friction, so this is a much bigger deal than it seems.
SRAM tenspeed moves much more wire per shift, and is therefore much more forgiving,

The second is because the handles are slimmer where the hand has to wrap around - the "ugly" clump being above the grip - making it easier for people with small hands to get decent leverage.

As for the 4600 cranksets, they've realy grown on me... I could se myself getting one of those, and I don't even have a Tiagra groupset.
>>
>>906543
This is super helpful thank you. If I'm in an lbs, will those model numbers be on some part of the bike, usually?
>>
>>906543
>As for the 4600 cranksets, they've realy grown on me... I could se myself getting one of those, and I don't even have a Tiagra groupset.
you best check yourself before you wreck yourself m8
>>
File: barfset.jpg (97KB, 751x751px) Image search: [Google]
barfset.jpg
97KB, 751x751px
>>906549
Rarely. The 4600 crankset is, uh, distinctive.
>>
>>906549
>will those model numbers be on some part of the bike
No.
>>
>>906549
Not usualy, but you could ask the sales dude for help with things like that. Relying on the crankset for id is perhaps not the most bulletproof method, because bikes can just as well ship with an FSA alternative crankset as with a complete group.

Cheap bikes also often ship with a "better" rear derailleur than the one ment to go with the shifters, because it costs next to nothing, has no impact on performance, but you can always fool some poor soul that it's an upgrade.
Or even 'it has 105 gears', when in reality it's Sora with a 105 5700 rear derailleur. Don't fall for that one.

With these groupsets it's pretty easy though:

Tiagra 4600 will have the shift wire coming out the inside of the handle. 4700 will have both the brake and shift wire hidden under the bar tape.
105 5700 will be tenspeed. 5800 will be eleven.

If I _had_ to ride a tenspeed Shimano it'd be 4600, but I'd much rather lose one gear, save myself the beermoney and go for a bike with the cheaper, better (maintainence wise) 3500 Sora.

I wouldn't even bother with 4700/5700. They're all fiddly as fuck and a complete abortion of a design.
They don't shift enough wire to cope with even ever so slightly worn cabling, or any slop what so ever on installation.

So, Sora 3500 9spd or 105 5800 11spd if it has to be Shimano. Or SRAM Apex(/old Rival) if you want 10spd.
Campa is pretty, but use slightly different cabling just to be special, complicating service.
>>
>>906765
You are blowing the issues with 5700 out of all proportion. The biggest problem with it is that the hoods are quite bulky and you can only adjust the lever reach with shims. Other than those minor hitches, it's perfectly serviceable.
>>
File: 42.png (28KB, 403x267px) Image search: [Google]
42.png
28KB, 403x267px
Just to be sure: my rims are 622/19 and my tire 622/42. Is the Schwalbe AV17 the right size?
>>
>>906811
Yes.
>>
What's the deal with tension on pedals? The Look Keo Blades come in three different options (12Nm, 16 or 20) and I'm not sure on which ones to go for. Currently I'm running Look Keo Easys which, I think, run around an 8Nm tension and they are easy to get into.

If I buy the 16 will I be able to adjust the tension if they're too tight for me?

Thanks
>>
>>906935
>Abusing SI unit symbols
You must read the Brochure of the International System of Units as soon as possible.
>>
what's proper mountain bike attire? is there anything i can reuse from my dirtbike/motorcycling gear?
>>
>>908501
Many moto apparel companies produce similar pants and jerseys for MTB use. If you are doing lift-assisted riding, you could wear that stuff. Otherwise, typical sweat-wicking sports gear would be better.
>>
File: metro2.jpg (119KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
metro2.jpg
119KB, 1200x675px
hey there, short question, i just changes tyres on my MTB, went from 2.10 slicks t 1.50 (kenda kwest, the regular ones, not the 100psi ones).

is it safe to bunny hop on this thing? im not fat nor tall.. but i like to bunny hop a lot, i wasnt afraid to abuse the 2.10 tyres, but 1.50 seem thin... any exprience? thanks amigos.

pic not related
>>
>>908713
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik&index=91&hd=1
>>
So, is it worth buying a fresh older bike second hand or saving up more buying either a newer second hand one or a brand new one?

How much better are modern bikes?
>>
>>909597
>How much better are modern bikes?
Better than what?
>>
What is the name of these backpacks that bike messengers/hipsters wear?
>>
It seems I always end up stripping Allen heads. How do you gentlemen avoid this and/or remove the screws after they've been stripped?

I guess I need to replace my multi-tool more frequently and try to clean out the heads before turning them.
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.