[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is my bike so inefficient?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: broken-bike.jpg (25KB, 400x272px) Image search: [Google]
broken-bike.jpg
25KB, 400x272px
I have neglected my bike for a good year before I restored it to good condition with new tires and all that stuff.
I am on holiday right now so I had to borrow a friend's old bike (old crappy thing for retired people) to get some food and noticed how it felt easier to ride than my road bike.
Mayor differences: Mine has a hub dynamo and old breaks.
>>
Do you have running brakes?
Are your tyres pumped up enough?
Did you make sure your bottom Bracket turns smoothly without lateral play?
Are the wheel hubs turning smooth enough like the bottom bracket?

Hub dynamos slow your bike slightly, but not noticeably.
>>
>>1103754
> Do you have running brakes?
Never even heard of those, no.
> Are your tyres pumped up enough?
I pump them regularly, but the vent on the back wheel has a different format for which I dont have an adapter so that one is a tiny bit flat maybe.
> Did you make sure your bottom Bracket turns smoothly without lateral play?
I had to look up what that means, I haven't. I will get onto that.
> Are the wheel hubs turning smooth enough like the bottom bracket?
see above.

thank you.
>>
>>1103752
1. Please learn the difference between the word 'breaks' and 'brakes'. It's annoying as fuck.
2. Hub dynamo, even if the headlight is on, is only 6 watts. Even if you're weak as a kitten you won't notice the difference.
3. Unless your brakes are adjusted too tight and are rubbing, or your wheel(s) are out of true and therefore the brakes are rubbing, your brakes shouldn't make any difference whatsoever.
4. You say you 'restored' your bike after neglecting it. You sure you did it right? Does everything spin freely? Take it to a shop and have a professional check it out. If you, say, left it out in the rain all the time, or rode through puddles, or otherwise grossly abused it and didn't even understand how or what you allowed to be damaged, it could be totally fucked and you might not know the difference.
5. Is your bike adjusted/fitted properly to you, or did you just do the typical 'make the seat high enough' and thought that was good enough? If it's grossly misadjusted for you then you could be wasting all sorts of effort trying to ride it, effort that never makes it to the back wheel.
>>
>>1103795
>rode through puddles, or otherwise grossly abused it
Sieg, plz.
>>
>>1103857
Don't be a faggot.

Depending on what time of the year it is, I ride anywhere between 100 and 200 miles a week, 7 to 15+ hours a week, training and racing, on what is a SHITTY bike for what I put it through. The only way it doesn't explode into little bitty pieces is I'm a decent bike mechanic. I've seen how some people abuse the living fuck out of their bikes, then complain about how it doesn't ride very well. I also know what a horror show a bike turns into when you ride it in the rain for even a reasonable distance, and how that needs to be attended to before you ride it again, unless you want to grind it's drivetrain components into dust.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.