[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to disassemble modern recessed bolt dual pivo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: miche-brake-calipers-silver.jpg (21KB, 430x430px) Image search: [Google]
miche-brake-calipers-silver.jpg
21KB, 430x430px
Is it possible to disassemble modern recessed bolt dual pivot caliper brakes in such a way that I can remove the mounting bolt and attach another one from an old bike? My bike doesn't take recessed bolts, and I can't get a hold of two front brakes so I would only need to drill out the front brake mount. The rear brake mount is solid metal (rather than plates) and I won't be able to drill it out.

Particularly these brakes, if anyone has owned them:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/miche-performance-57mm-drop-brake-caliper-set/
>>
No, you're fucked. Get the proper calipers for your frame.
>>
>>1103579
Frame is ancient, no such calipers are available. I guess I'll have to spend much more than I was hoping and fix two front brakes from somewhere.
>>
>>1103580
>no such calipers are available
This just means you haven't looked in the right place yet. Show us your frame, odds are you just need to visit a local bike shop/coop and they will have a giant bin full of old brakes that will work.
>>
>>1103589
It's not very likely they will have dual pivot caliper brakes that have a long reach.
>>
>>1103609
Then go online and purchase some Tektro 559 brakes, they're made in both nutted and recessed versions and cost about 60 USD for front and rear.
>>
>>1103610
>>1103609
Also, pretty much any shop that has old bike parts will have old centerpull and sidepull brake calipers with long reach. Long reach calipers used to be standard.
>>
>>1103578
Use 9mm drill bit to enlarge the hole for the recessed nut. Go slowly, lubricate the drill bit as you go and you should succeed. I did this to my old Peugeot and mounted these exact Miche brakes. They work great!
>>
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html

you could do something like this
>>
>>1103589
No camera, but it's an old Bianchi road bike. I could probably get some used brakes, but I want to get new brakes with superior stopping power, that is, dual pivot caliper brakes with long reach (59mm).

>>1103610
This would be a great idea, except they're about 20€ more than a pair of Shimano Tiagra front brakes. I can drill the fork out no problem, but the rear won't work.

>>1103616
Two problems: 1. can't reach the rear hole, possible aleviated by drilling it out from behind and mounting the brakes on the front side of the rear hanger, 2. the mounting hole isn't two plates like on many bikes, but rather a solid tube of metal from back to front. Drilling that out to the proper depth would be a massive pain and probably not even be straight, while also lowering the structural integrity of the mounting.

Anyone know how long the rear brake bolt usually is? I feel like the mounting place here isn't all too wide, maybe I can fit a regular rear brake.
>>
>>1103844
Just buy these you cheap cunt
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/tektro-r359-caliper-brake-set-4757-mm-drop-nut-fitting-silver/
>>
>>1103844
Alhonga has long reach dual pivot in their catalogue.
They're dirt cheap and as good as any other brand.
>>
File: Capture2.png (144KB, 879x933px) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
144KB, 879x933px
>>1103849
£11 shipping from this site.

>>1103856
Can't find on any site I can order from.

I'll just go with two front brakes, since they have a long enough bolt to reach around according to Sheldon Brown.

This should be all I need, right?
>>
File: skndl.jpg (262KB, 1175x879px) Image search: [Google]
skndl.jpg
262KB, 1175x879px
>>1103844
Please excuse the quality of the photo, but this is my bike with the brakes mounted.
I drilled the rear brake hole straight from the front. I bet the "solid tube of metal" is in fact just a tube, like the rest of them. It is perfectly doable, as you can see, just use a new drill bit and lowest possible RPM without locking. No problems with drilling the fork, obviously.
My solution proved rigid and safe, there's no play, the brakes work flawlessly with Dura-Ace inserts. I encourage you to try this.
>>
File: IMG_0142.jpg (173KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0142.jpg
173KB, 800x600px
>>1103863
This is what the rear mount looks like. It seems pretty solid to me. Regardless, there's no way I can fit my drill in between the seat tube and rear mount, so I can't drill it out from the front, and don't want to drill from the back and mount it in front.
>>
>>1103864
Sorry, I didn't explain it well. I drilled from the back, right from the side you took your photo from.
And my bridge looked almost exactly the same, but it's up to you of course.
>>
>>1103856
Alhonga are a noticable step worse than Tektro. They're still better than ancient single pivots, but they are not high quality at all.
>>
>>1103884
You drilled all the way through?
>>
>>1104067
Not him but yeah, that's what you have to do for rear brakes, since the recessed nut covers the whole mounting bolt it needs the wider space all the way through
>>
>>1104077
I thought you were supposed to drill it out from the front, so the recessed nut could enter but not pass through entirely. That's great, in that case I can order all the things I need from the same place.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.