[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Slippery brake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 20170822_175546.jpg (225KB, 1632x918px) Image search: [Google]
20170822_175546.jpg
225KB, 1632x918px
Hello /n/

I have recently started to daily ride to work, so far it has been a blast, but I got an issue I can not fogure out on my own

I ride a cheap bike that was just around at home, and in the last few days my rear brake became slippery (V barke)
It feels like I only got 15-20% brake power on my rear wheel, which is not good and no matter how thight I get the cable, it does not really improve
I can not get that wheel to lock up, even if I lean forward. The braking feels like it does not have that bite when I pull the lever.

I have two suspects
1) The rim got slippery from some gunk/oil (I have tried to clean it tho)
2) The brake pads does not seem to be worn out but they are old and were unused for years, maybe it aged and could not handle the daily use

It only has to last until the end of month, will get a proper bike then
>>
File: 20170822_175718.jpg (297KB, 912x1632px) Image search: [Google]
20170822_175718.jpg
297KB, 912x1632px
Picture of the brake pad in case it helps
>>
1. Clean it and the rim with degreaser to get oil off.
2. Replace the pad

Those are the operations you should do to fix the pad.
>>
>>1102460
can you recommend a kinda diy degreaser?
I live in dorms atm so my options are limited

Thinking about like soapy water or diswasher
>>
pads glaze over, sand/ file them down a bit
>>
>>1102464
thanks, will try that when I get home
working atm
>>
>>1102463
Washing up liquid is the best DIY degreaser.
>>
>>1102453
A thing that happened to my motorcycle with steel cable powered drum brakes was a rotted cable.
The internal friction got so high that I lost most of my braking force untill I replaced it.
>>
>>1102502
maybe some WD-40 would help in the cable housing?
>>
>>1102503
It didnĀ“t realy help on my motorcycle.

Decouple the brakes and the lever from the cable and try to move it.
If there is any resistance at all it is fucked and needs to be replaced.
>>
>>1102509
it moves easy so I have played my luck card there, now thoroughly cleaning the brakepads and rim
>>
fixed it
thank you all who helped
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.