[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Supercycle SC1800

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 25315733_1.jpg (182KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
25315733_1.jpg
182KB, 1200x800px
Can someone redpill me on the Canadian Tire Supercycle SC1800?

I'm about to go buy this bike as its only 100$. I only plan to go cycling maybe once a week about 10-20km. I might not even ride during the winter, i just need to get to places for the next while cause i dont have any other mode of transport so i really dont want to spend over $500 taking into LBS and worry about it getting stolen. I'd rather work on the bike at home and develop maintenance skills as well.

From the info I've gathered this seems to be the 'Lada' of bikes in canada. It will most defintely need to be constantly maintained but thats no problem for me. I heard of some japanese kids touring with one across BC without much problems and articles citing it survives through the harsh Canadian winters.

Should I bite the bullet? I'm just afraid it will fall apart into pieces like some reviews say but thats really because they didn't do regular bicycle maintenance right?
>>
Low department store class. Canada is loaded with mountain bikes. A quality used one at a comparable price should blow the wheels off that hiten steel piece of crap.
>>
New bike for a 100 bucks?
Abort man. Abort.

We all (or most of us sans douches with rich mom and pop) understand what being on a budget is.
The best way you can go with a 100 dollar budget is get a decent USED hardtail mtb and put the rest of the money in decent tyres and whatever accessories you may need (mudguards are definitely a plus).

What you posted is worst of the worst Chinesium grade stuff that noone sane would recommend to anyone.
If you're going to put work into a bike (no bike is maintenance free) at least make sure you're not trying mend what the stupid Chink in factory did to save production costs. A baseline of a decent old MTB frame will give you much less hassle in the long run.

You might even stumble on some gem that has good mid to hi-end groupset and hardware from the 90s too.
I bought my shoddy commuter/tourer for like 120 USD and it had a 90s STX-RC groupset in it probably from a different bike. It was a good deal.
>>
OP you should be completely aware of the difference between spending $100 and wasting $100 on garbage that falls apart after a month. If reviews are saying it falls apart then that's a massive warning sign, since people who don't maintain their bikes don't complain about their bikes falling apart.
>>
I does not look very super for me.
>>
File: 1483731591176.gif (4MB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1483731591176.gif
4MB, 512x384px
so where the hell do you get used bikes in Canukistan? Local bike shops are overpriced here even for used and im not gonna phone up some nigger on kijiji or craiglist like im going to buy heroin.

Theres raleigh bikes but can't find any dealers nearby. Theres loads of decent walmart bikes in the US I would have bought already that aren't avaliable in Canada. Its either this shit bike or a brand spanking new 500$ bike and declaring chapter 5 bankruptcy.
>>
>>1098433

It probably doesn't matter in the end, bubbles, I am sure most people who buy a bike whether new or used, expensive or cheap, don't stick with it no matter what. The biggest reason is that most cycle as a hobby for sport as a separation from transportation and everyday life, so they abandon it like every other hobby they think they want to try at the first sign of adversity. If you are into cycling you can always buy something better and you only spent 100 Canadian which is like $15 if you earned an American salary and where not a trailer park boys. Personally if I were you I would look at a cheap used, non-department store bike though.
>>
>>1098433

To add to my previous post:
>>1098470

Even if you buy that bike which is total shit, it is better than being like one of my friends who bought a discounted 2016 Trek Emonda, I believe it is the SL 6:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road/%C3%A9monda/%C3%A9monda-sl-6/p/1441900-2017/

$2,499.99 was $2,799.99 (when new)
All ultrega components, but he only took it on one puny 4 mile ride with me and now months later it is probably full of dust, the tires are deflated, he talks about it and riding more than he rides...

Whatever you do, that is what you don't want to end up like, it is better to spend $200 or less which will then allow you to grow into buying a second bike much quicker after you learn what kind of riding you like, what you want in the next bike. And on and on. Remember no matter what you cannot tell what time of riding you will like most till you actually try several bikes and ride on light trails, single track only suitable for mtbs, road, rail trails, etc.
>>
>>1098433
Check out used bikes first. I personally wouldn't buy a new bike for $100. It's going to cost that in maintenance in the first year alone and then you'll upgrade.

Go to pinkbike.com and find something for $300 and you won't be disappointed.
>>
>>1098515

If he doesn't continue on riding, which is actually the most likely scenario, yes, he will regret throwing in even more money... Most bikes just dry rot, in the USA at least almost every family has a bike, and almost everyone never rides them...
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.