[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Work as a bike courier/messenger

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1293.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1293.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Has anyone here ever worked as a bike courier or bike messenger?

I'm considering do it for a relatively short time ~1 year while I work on my portfolio/skills for what I want to do for my long term career

I think I'm in shape enough, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience they would be able to share
>>
I work as a bike delivery guy. I deliver food though, I don't think those "TAKE THIS ENVELOPE TO THE OTHER SIDE OF TOWN YOU HAVE 10 MINUTES" jobs exist anymore.
Job is fun, not really too tiresome, you get free food, only work 4 hours a day which is enough for me to make a humble living, can't afford any luxuries though.
Keep in mind companies will ask you what's up with that one year hole in your resume, and you can't tell them you just rode your bike around. Also make sure your delivery company has accident insurance, because you WILL crash
>>
>>1095363
>I don't think those "TAKE THIS ENVELOPE TO THE OTHER SIDE OF TOWN YOU HAVE 10 MINUTES" jobs exist anymore.
They do, because there are still (and always will be) plenty of instances where only an original physical document will do and/or only a 'live', original signature on a document will do, therefore someone has to physically take a physical document from one place to another.
>>
>>1095365
Well sure, but they're specific instances. I doubt you can have a job that consists of nothing but such tasks.
>>
>>1095363
>Job is fun, not really too tiresome, you get free food, only work 4 hours a day which is enough for me to make a humble living, can't afford any luxuries though.

I'm only looking for just basics as well
Do you only work just at your bike delivery job with no other supplemental income? That's enough to support a room in an apparment in or near a city ?
What area do you live/work in if you don't mind so I can gauge for different costs of living?
>>
>>1095357
i'm a bike messenger, as in actual bike messenger, not delivering food.

Don't do it. I tell everyone not to do it. Because if it's right for you, you love riding enough, you'll do it anyway. If you have to ask, its the wrong choice for you.

Here's the reality
The work is grueling and physically demanding, it's super dangerous work, the pay is pretty awful, and the benefits dont exist. most messengers arent employees, they're brought in as "private contractors" so the companies dont gotta pay by the hour or give any kinds of benefits.

But on the other side, you get to ride a bike.

And you might not care and wanna do it anyway.

even then, good luck finding a job, they're pretty rare. about less than 30 riders in my city. Theres food delivery, which is pretty different, but you're still on a bike.

>>1095369
>I doubt you can have a job that consists of nothing but such tasks.
I have that job. it exists.
>>
>>1095363

Food delivery guys in NYC seem to be mostly fresh off the boat Chinese or Latinos and ride e-bikes for some reason.
>>
>>1095363
It's not so much that you HAVE to deliver shit in 10 mins it's that if you do deliver that quick you make your company look good and you can pull more drops in a day cause you know you're paid per delivery.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.