[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fatass here. Need a sturdy bike cheap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: 1458877342383.gif (894KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1458877342383.gif
894KB, 400x300px
So I am an ogre. 6'2", 280lbs. Im the guy everyone always asks "hey man...you play football?". Nope...just a giant human that needs to get into shape.

So I have gathered that the good folks at Walmart don't know shit about bikes. The dude told me this Schwinn beach cruiser would be good for me. Well...my knees were coming fairly close to the handles and it made a funny noise when I stood up on the pedals and took my ass off the seat. It sounded like the crank were saying "I CANT FUCKING BREATHE GET OFF". anyways...im looking for a bike under 300$ that can take me on asphalt road, concrete sidewalk, dirt trail and grass field. Looks dont matter. I want to be semi comfortable...I dont want to be on a racing bike with a tiny seat wedged up my ass.

Please help.
>>
don't buy a walmart bike. go to a bike store and be prepared to spend more. since this is america i'm sure they're used to dealing with 300 pound riders and can recommend something
>>
also it will probably be over 300.
too bad
>>
>>1095031
Walmart and target are terrible, go to a bike store, you might get lucky and find something under $300, or you could just steal a bike. Depending on where you live
>>
>>1095031
Looks like a full sus downhill bike is exactly what you need
>>
Standard reply for cheap bike is a used 90's mtn bike with no suspension. Then trade the nobbie tires for slicks, in your case fat slicks.
>>
>>1095031
You're kind of a.. um.. 'special needs' rider. Most bikes aren't going to be rated for you.

You won't be buying any carbon-fiber bike, that's for sure. Aluminum or steel.

Probably won't be a regular road bike, either, at least not right now. If you do go with a road bike, it'll have to have a wheelset that is *at least* 36 spoke. That might be hard to find, you may need to have a wheelset built for you that's more than 36 spoke, otherwise you'll have spokes breaking, and that's bad because every time you break a spoke, it shortens the lifespan of the rim.

Since I'm envisioning that your thighs are going to be huge, the vast majority of road saddles aren't going to work for you because they are the wrong *shape*. Look to saddles made by Cobb; they make saddles for bigger guys (not necessarily fat, but big; I have low bodyfat but huge thighs from racing, and a Cobb SHC was the right *shape* for me).

You probably won't have to have a bike built up from a frameset, but you will probably have to get a different wheelset as mentioned above, swap out the saddle as mentioned above, and you definitely want to get a bike fitted properly for you. You don't necessarily need clipless pedals and the shoes that go with them, for just fitness and weightloss purposes platform pedals are fine, but you definitely want to get some who knows what they're doing to fit and adjust the whole bike for you, because for a new rider who is as large as you are, repetitive motion injury from a poorly setup bike is a real issue, and besides which you're going to be hideously uncomfortable for a long while to come no matter what you do, but having a properly setup bike will at least help mimimize that.

Go research bike shops in your area and try to find the one that's going to be most helpful. Go looking for local bike clubs, hook up with them, and try to get recommendations from them.
>>
>>1095031
>>1095084
I have more advice to add:

Get cycling-specific clothing to ride in, even if you're uncomfortable with how it looks. The reason why is that clothing exists for reasons, and those reasons will make your rides less uncomfortable. Back in the day, before I got clued in, I rode around on a $350 Giant MTB in nylon gym shorts over cotton underwear, a t-shirt, and gym shoes; I stewed in my own sweat in the heat, and because of that an a too-big, too-padded saddle, I got saddle sores from hell that still bother me to this day. If I'd've known things I know now, I might not have those problems today. I don't get them very often anymore, but if I had worn proper clothing and had a proper saddle, I might not get them *at all* now. Don't let /n/ or anyone else bully you into not wearing proper cycling shorts. You'll thank me later.

Oh and by the way OP, at one point in my life I was heavier than you are now (around 320 pounds) and I'm 6'4" tall. I had serious problems with my knees, too (torn cartilege in both of them, and one of them would lock up on me at random; I walked with a limp most of the time). I started out on a $350 Giant MTB, and made lots of mistakes along the way, but I lost the weight over years. Now I'm always around 200 (in the low 190's if I stay on task), and I've been racing road bikes (I'm on a team) for the last 8 years. If I can lose the weight and get into the shape necessary to do what I do, having started knowing nothing, then I truly believe that *anyone* can do it, if they dedicate themselves to the task.
>>
>>1095085
Thanks for all the advice. I am a big dude...I would be lying if I said I wasn't out of shape, but my in shape weight is 220-225lbs. Thats still alot of weight for a bike to handle. Right now I am doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but I need another activity thats fairly low impact that 1) can burn some calories and 2) get me to work and back. My job is roughly 4-6km from here. I am assuming I can do that in 15-20 minutes on a bike. 40 minutes of bike riding every day, plus saving on gas money and helping the environment is a win to me...with that being said...I am not going to spend 500$-1000$ on a bike. I understand the logic behind it but I simply cant afford it. I have been looking at thr local classifies for bikes but cant find anything worthy of a big man and if its a good bike...these guys know what they're worth and are asking top dollar.

How did that GIANT MTB handle your 320lbs? Im thinking I get a similar bike, change the seat and maybe if I can afford it change the wheels.
>>
>>1095031
im 190 and my old schwinn beach cruiser screams at me too... looking on craigslist and facebook might be a better idea. I got my cruiser for $40 and all I have bothered to do was put some air in the tires and new tubes.... really needs new tires but its not my main bike.
>>
Get one of those shart carts instead
>>
I started riding on alu + carbon fork road bike at ~130kg this year
>>
>>1095106
>>1095106
Yea well if youre 199 and its screaming that should say something about the cheap chinese parts.

I do like the look of them and the comfort but I am huge. Could it bare my weight? I think it couldon sidewalks and road if I baby it but I would ultimatelyprobably have to chabge to 39 spoke wheels.
>>
>>1095111
Hows it holding up and price of bike?

Price is going to be a huge thing.
>>
File: moser-speed-comp-zoom.jpg (410KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
moser-speed-comp-zoom.jpg
410KB, 2000x2000px
>>1095114
Moser pic rel.
Around 250$
nothing happened so far and I'm at 120kg
>>
>>1095046
I could never steal a bike from someone...generally a nice bike the people that own it are enthusiasts. They spend hours everyday thinking about bikes and parts and places to ride...if i took a 1200-3000$ bike what is that guy or girl going to feel like? I couldn't take the guilt.
>>
Hunt around for an 80s touring bike by Miyata or Nishiki or whatever. Those things were so overbuilt that it's surreal.
>>
>>1095127
I live in Canada...biking is not as popular as in the states or europe. Its popular from a recreatinal stand point. Most people drive shit bikes from Cansdian tire and Walmart. Obviously there are bike nerds from urban environments like Toronto - Vancouver etc. But its hard to find a slew of good bikes on the classifieds. Its mostly brands like CCM, Supercycle, Schwinn, Haro, Huffy etc.
>>
Im going to post links of possible bikes from classifieds i could get...what do i guys think based on my weight and length:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-of-toronto/per-gut-rood-bike-62-cm-frame/1285402540

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-of-toronto/holdsworth-record-vintage-bike-xl-frame/1285226944?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/london/schwinn-traveller-touring-bike/1285174155?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/kitchener-waterloo/vintage-road-bike/1284985830?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/oakville-halton-region/vintage-nishiki-landau-racer/1284856811?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/oshawa-durham-region/road-bike-commuter-touring-miyata-312/1284554182?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-of-toronto/vintage-peugeot-bike-for-sale-250-obo/1284528462?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Someone mentioned Nishiki and Miyaya. There are two in that list. Lots of Peugots too. Mostly all road bikrs eith twirly bars. Skinny tires. Not sure if thats good for a big guy? Wouldn't a hybrid or xruiser be better wkth fat tires?
>>
File: oGWnlh2.jpg (119KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
oGWnlh2.jpg
119KB, 700x700px
I hate to be redundant but your best bet will probably a steel mtb bike from the 90's. Also, your priority is not so much the frame but the geometry and wheels.

For now stay away from anything carbon (headset, handlebars, fork, seat post,frame etc). If you have enough, go with a CX bike from any reputable brand.

t. 220lb+ rider who has carried enough cargo to know what I'm talking about
>>
>>1095095
>.I am not going to spend 500$-1000$ on a bike
Well, then unless you buy a used one, you're not going to get anything for your money that will hold up for long. And, you'll still need to be sure you have a saddle the right size and shape for you, and you still should get someone to fit and adjust it who knows what they're doing. Considering your height you'll have a problem finding a used bike that's the right frame size, too, ask me about that.
>>
>>1095148
Can you check my links?
>>
>>1095136
The 312 is a good bike, but this is better:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/markham-york-region/miyata-1000-gt/1284896058?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Dunno how far that is from you but the nice thing about this one is that it has bar-end shifters instead of downtubes, which makes riding easier.

This reminds me that I need to go take a nice picture of my red Miyata standing next to my red Miata.
>>
>>1095085
Ok, those 2 posts from you are the highest quality and most informed I have ever read on this board. Not OP but thank you!
>>
>>1095236
cringed
>>
>>1095169
Yea but he also wants almost 500$ a d its a large frame not an extra large frame. Im a big fat bastard remember? Lol.

I am looking in the greater toronto area, niagara region, hamilton and kitch/camb/waterloo areas. Basically i wont drive more than 1.5 hours away from my house. I also eont pay more than 300$.
>>
>>1095139
Whats a cx bike?
>>
>>1095251
It's a marketing label invented to sell good commuter bikes since "commuters" is already reserved for clunky step through 3 speed IGH gaspipe boat anchors with flat bars and brakes that barely work

Basically, like a rigid MTB with slicks, but with drop bars and discs and brifters, and you have to add the slicks yourself since for some reason they always come with knobbies
>>
>>1095251

Pretty much >>1095255

The reason I suggest a CX bike is because of their versatility and durability. They're not cheap but well worth it for anyone who is on the bigger side.

>>1095255

Slicks really don't belong on an CX (especially when you consider OP's wants/needs).
>>
save up some money op, just stop buying mountain dew and doritos for a few weeks
>>
File: sit-bone-pain.png (152KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
sit-bone-pain.png
152KB, 800x800px
>>1095031
Sup bro.

I also weigh 280 and ride quite a bit. I was snapping axles on old freehubs on a quarterly basis and I was babying my bikes to keep from breaking them.

My current daily driver is a $2000 (at this point) heavy duty a la carte "touring bike" that is an undying beast from hell. I actually use parts rated for tandems and professional downhill MTB, because I need my bike to kick ass because I ride it hard and a lot, but I didn't switch to it until after riding a lot for a few years.

If you get an old hardtail freehub MTB, you are going to be snapping axles. If you get a cheap new bike, you are going to be too heavy.

Other people have said as much, but your best bet as a beginner, to stay close to your budget will be to get an older steel hardtail bike and replace the rear wheel with a drop in freewheel + cassette.

Finally, don't be a bitch about bike saddles. Get one that your pelvis will sit on properly and fucking man up.
>>
File: helltramp.jpg (6KB, 310x163px) Image search: [Google]
helltramp.jpg
6KB, 310x163px
>>1095279
LoL, u millinerls and your avocado toast, that's why you can't afford to subsidize the real estate bubble propped up by government corruption, lelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelele
>>
>>1095284
Good post...but I am so lost with all the lingo and terms for bike parts.

So an old mountain bike with a hardtail...I am assuming that means the rear part of frame is thick gauge steel?

Switching to a free wheel and cassette...what is that shit?

If I wree to buy an old mountain bike for say 50-200$ used...how much more would I have to pay at a bike shop to change rear end and all that. To "set it up'. I keep hearing that here. Whats a "typical set up" ar a bike shop run you and what do they do?

I feel like dudes could upsale the shit out of me and Ill be walking iut paying them 250$ on some shit i dont even really need.
>>
>>1095291
>Good post...but I am so lost with all the lingo and terms for bike parts.
>So an old mountain bike with a hardtail...I am assuming that means the rear part of frame is thick gauge steel?
It means that it doesn't have a suspension system.
>Switching to a free wheel and cassette...what is that shit?
You might want to check this guy out, you said you are in Niagra? I think he's in NY.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Pdvmu1i3E
>If I wree to buy an old mountain bike for say 50-200$ used...how much more would I have to pay at a bike shop to change rear end and all that. To "set it up'. I keep hearing that here. Whats a "typical set up" ar a bike shop run you and what do they do?
>I feel like dudes could upsale the shit out of me and Ill be walking iut paying them 250$ on some shit i dont even really need.
Probably. Check out that youtube I posted. He has a lot of good info and should really help you not be scambait.
>>
>>1095297
I live near thr Niagara Region. To get to Fort Erie or Buffalo NY would be a good 1-1.5 hour drive.

Is rather deal with thr Niagara folk than faggot hipsters in the Toronto area though, thats for damn sure.
>>
>>1095433
Btw I will check thr video out after work. Kinda on the fly right now. Cheers to all the comments. This is a good thread for big guys that are noobs.
>>
>>1095117
this looks like a good bike for the price

I'm not sure if it would suit your needs OP, I would look into the old rigid 90's mtb's from trek/giant/cannondale
>>
>>1095503
also check bicyclebluebook.com for accurate pricing when viewing ads on craigslist/ebay
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.