[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuck Cycling Australia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10

File: Screenshot_20170725-223808.jpg (524KB, 1440x1448px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170725-223808.jpg
524KB, 1440x1448px
Thanks for ruining racing you cunts. Get prepared for literally no increase in participation and a whole lot more jittery and dangerous bunches. Well done fuckwits
>>
>Roadies have such shit handling skills that better brakes make them crash even more
>>
File: il_340x270.928103464_6p02.jpg (25KB, 340x270px) Image search: [Google]
il_340x270.928103464_6p02.jpg
25KB, 340x270px
>>1093819
Brakes aren't for stopping, they're for controlling your speed

Why do joggers think they know anything about bike handling?
>>
>>1093819
>mountain bikers dont know about speed modulation in a bunch
>>
Tbh I don't care what brakes you have on your road bike. If you bought a brand new bike with discs when you had perfectly working rim brake bike I'm going to laugh at how gullible you are. If you didn't have a bike and bough a new road bike with discs I'm still going to laugh at you for being a paying beta tester that just bought tech that most likely will not end up being the standard.

Also most of the people I've seen raving about their disc brakes can't brake for shit.

>>1093819
>MTB fag thinks that road bikes get the same advantages from disc brakes as MTBs
>>
Direct mount as standard when
>>
>>1093820
>Brakes aren't for stopping, they're for controlling your speed
Yeah, and roadies suck so much that they can't use decent brakes without crashing.

>>1093821
See above.

>>1093823
>MTB fag thinks that road bikes get the same advantages from disc brakes as MTBs
>Implying I said that
The better performance in poor weather/when dirty doesn't apply as much to road bikes but they're still better. Unfortunately most roadies have the modulation skills of a 5 year old so they need shittier brakes to stop them causing crashes.
>>
>>1093829
They're marginally better. High end calipers already have excellent modulation. How would brakes with shittier modulation help people who can't brake? It'd just make it harder for them and cause more crashes, what they need is brakes with good modulation. On the other hand someone who has good braking skills can use with shittier brakes without crashing by using their skills to compensate for the shittier brakes.
>>
>>1093841
Disc brakes require less force so for roadies with shitty brake control they're more likely to either go over the bars or brake too much and have another roadie crash into the back of them because they have shit reactions.
>>
>>1093818

Cycle racing was already ruined by the d-bag cunts who participate and their bike marketing shillery. Here is what Lucas Brunelle famous for filming bicycle messengers says about his experience with this milieu:
http://www.lucasbrunelle.com/about/
>Amateur racing is filled with catty dickbag riders who think they’re better than you even if you win the fucking race.

Here is an audio podcast from Cycle360 where Victor Jimenez says the same about the bicycle racing community and he also stopped his involvement in racing just like Brunelle:
http://www.cycling360media.com/the-cycling-lifestyle-victors-story/

>>1093841

>High end calipers already have excellent modulation.

So much that, higher end road rim brakes are amazing they have lots of stopping power and modulation. I was surprised when I tried a friend's mid tier Trek Emoda it went for $2,800 something in 2016. You could flip over if you brake too hard. Meanwhile on my old 1994 road bike with ancient campagnolo brakes, I cannot even flip over no matter what, it would be almost power, the thing barely stops by comparison.

http://imgur.com/a/380Z8#0
>>
>>1093847
Amateur racing also has dopers.

They're Freds taking it a few steps further.

And they don't even have to microdose because no testing.
>>
>>1093847
Majority of the people who cry about the modulation and stopping power problems of rim brakes haven't tried modern high end calipers. They're nothing like the brakes from 80s, 90s, and 00s. Modern high end calipers are amazing, especially with alu rims. They're still great with modern carbon rims but not as amazing. With my Chorus brakes I can lift the rear wheel with 1 finger on the lever. I prefer using 2 fingers for better modulation though.

My commuter has TRP Hy/Rd discs which are usually ranked in the top end of mechanical discs. They're vastly inferior to the Chorus calipers on my road bike in terms of brake power, modulation, and maintenance. I've tried a few hydro discs and while they offer marginally better feel it's not something I miss. The added hassle with wheel changes, maintenance, and compatibility isn't worth it in my opinion.
>>
Discs are better in the rain. Apart from that they're more less just as effective. Not more, not less. You can only have SO much stopping power before your fucking wheels lock up.
>>
>>1093874
>The added hassle with wheel changes, maintenance, and compatibility isn't worth it in my opinion.
Wheel changes are even easier than rim brakes as there's no need to release the caliper. Maintenance should be less than rim brakes too. Not sure what you mean with compatibility, caliper mounting is standardised with less standards than rim brakes and there are only two types of rotor mounts.

>>1093875
No one seems to understand that it's not about outright power. Everyone is aware that rim brakes can lock up the front wheel, however it takes more force at the lever to do so and has less modulation.
>>
>my rim brakes are almost as good as disc brakes
t. fairweather fred
>>
>>1093880
>Wheel changes are even easier than rim brakes as there's no need to release the caliper.
Really? Opening a rim brake caliper takes a fraction of a second. Meanwhile, getting the disc lined up with the caliper when installing a wheel takes a bit of finesse... especially on the rear, where you're fighting the derailleur at the same time.

Changing wheels on my rim brake bikes are easy. Changing wheels on my mountain bike is a chore.

>Maintenance should be less than rim brakes too.

I dunno, seems about the same between my rim and disc brakes to me.

>>1093874
>Majority of the people who cry about the modulation and stopping power problems of rim brakes haven't tried modern high end calipers.

Or even mid-90s low profile canti brakes. My first-gen XTR cantos are some of the nicest brakes I've ever used. Definitely better than any mech discs, not quite as good as hydraulic discs.
>>
>>1093937
>getting the disc lined up with the caliper when installing a wheel takes a bit of finesse
Can't say I have an issue with it. Every now and then one of the pads will catch the rotor but a quick jiggle moves it out of the way.

>I dunno, seems about the same between my rim and disc brakes to me.
Are you comparing them with cable discs? I was thinking of hydraulic discs. Disc pads will probably last longer too and are easier to replace.
>>
>>1093913
If anything disc riders are the freds here since discs on road bikes is for the singular purpose of selling new bikes to consumption hungry casuals
>>
>>1093943
>Are you comparing them with cable discs? I was thinking of hydraulic discs.

I have a rim brake bike (canti brakes), a cable disc bike, a mountain bike with hydraulic discs, and a road/gravel bike with hydraulic discs on drop bars.

Three of the bikes - both mechanical setups and the mountain bike - require roughly the same amount of time spent on the brakes.

The drop bar/hydraulic discs combo (TRP Hylex brakes) is quite troublesome and I'm unhappy with it.

>Disc pads will probably last longer too and are easier to replace.

Dunno, I find that I wear through disc pads *faster* than rim pads. I won't argue with "easier replacement", though.
>>
>>1093951
yeah this is the issue. most people who are starting racing because their discs are legal probably havent been cycling for very long.
thus entry level bikes will be pretty common, equipped with a lot of those cable/hydro combo deathtraps, and most rich old fuckers who have just dropped 15k on a dogma disc arent experienced enough to use the braking power they have effectively.

so what you will end up with is in lower grades having a mix of people who cant really stop too well due to their shit brakes, and people who slam their brakes on at every shift in the bunch.

Thats mostly a C-D grade problem, but even in B grade now you will end up with a bunch of hubbards who have been riding with their matres for a while and with reasonable riding fitness, but no real bunch racing skills due to not being allowed to race on their disc machine. add to that the usual deluge of athletes who make it to B grade on fitness alone and the usual shit bunch etiquette in B grade racing and you're fucked.

the only solution now really is to just be good enough to ride A where people know how to ride a bike.
>>
File: 1366615425668.jpg (63KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1366615425668.jpg
63KB, 500x500px
If you cyclist could step back and realize how fucking dumb this argument is you would be laughing.

More powerful brakes doesn't mean people brake harder, that's the entire crux of your argument that they're pointless, then also the crux of your argument that they should be banned.

When they're more sensitive people just squeeze them less hard, this is just not a fucking problem.
>>
>>1093961
The problem is people new to the sport dont know how to modulate abd bikes thankfully arent equipped with stupid shit like abs. Suck me
>>
File: sigma1.jpg (495KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
sigma1.jpg
495KB, 2048x1365px
Rim brakes are fine if you're some pleb running alloy rims but every time you brake on carbon the rim dies a little. I'd much rather have $20 brake pads wear away.
>>
File: Rim-Wear.jpg (167KB, 1600x1018px) Image search: [Google]
Rim-Wear.jpg
167KB, 1600x1018px
>>1093993
>every time you brake on carbon the rim dies a little
That happens on alloy braking surfaces too.

Rim brakes are a better choice if A) Weight is your primary concern or B) you're only racing in dry conditions.
>>
>>1093998
>Rim brakes are a better choice if A) Weight is your primary concern

Except that it is SO FUCKING EASY to build a bike that bounces off of the minimum weight these days that people are putting fucking MOTORS in their tubing.

Rim brakes are never a better choice. Never.
They are as obsolete as rod brakes.
>>
>>1093880
There's really no need to release the caliper on modern wide rims with rim brakes either. Unless you're running super wide tires. And even if you have to open up the calipers it's literally a 2 second job. I've found the wheel changes on disc brakes to be more fiddly.

>compatibility
There are multiple axle standards and rear hub widths for road discs out there right now. With rim brakes you can take practically any wheel out there and it will fit. It'll get better over time but buying road discs right now is asking to get fucked by changing standards.
>>
>>1094001
unless you want quick wheel changes, properly adjustable lever feel and throw, lower weight, less chance of laceration, etc
>>
>>1094001
>implying there is a minimum weight for new bikes
>implying the UCI weight limit matters to majority of cyclists
>>
File: 200%NOIDED.jpg (7KB, 168x217px) Image search: [Google]
200%NOIDED.jpg
7KB, 168x217px
Ho Boy, I can't wait for the fucking crashes to start rolling in when freds suddenly get to race on their super extra braking power disc shitmobiles and people move off BSO tier rims to satisfy their shopping addictions and then suddenly every fucking bunch ride below semi-pro levels ends up in a giant clusterfuck every time the pace slows by 2%

like, jesus christ. I have mid 80's shitty, worn out, calipers that barely fit with cheapo wiggle brake inserts. Yet somehow, I can modulate and keep a line just as well(or even better) than freds when I bunch with them.
>>
>>1094052
>smug, overconfident, proud of having old worn out shit that barely works, "this makes me better than a stupid fred with something nice"
this post perfectly captures the /n/ mindset
>>
File: walmartshit.jpg (158KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
walmartshit.jpg
158KB, 900x1200px
>>1094053
>smug

Sure, you can have that one.

>Overconfident

I know what I'm capable of, abloo.

>worn out shit that barely works

Blow me. Just because I don't pay 200 dollars to get my chain replaced, unlike you, doesn't mean my bike is a flaming pile of trash one curb-drop away from disintegrating. Be gone, fred.
>>
>>1094054
>I bet this will keep working for a while more without making me crash, therefore I'm not a fred
if you're too stupid to use a chain checker you can go to a bike co-op and ask them to show you how to do it

or did they kick you out because your 4chan persona is the same thing as your real life persona: oblivious, obnoxious, and rude?
>>
>>1094057
Pretty ironic you say that, because I just spent the last 3 hours at a bike co-op helping people. You literally have no idea what you're talking about on any level, and yet wonder why people get inflammatory with you. I built my current bike from a bare frame and a box of parts - can you say the same, fred?
>>
>>1094061
>I just spent the last 3 hours at a bike co-op trying to start inane arguments with the regulars and sexually harassing the occasional female who had the misfortune of showing up when I was there
fixed for accuracy, although it was probably more like 15 minutes before they asked you to leave
>>
>>1094063
nice projection senpai. Have you tried talking to a real person recently?
>>
>>1094064
unfortunately, you are a real person and I would suspect your attitudes displayed here are very much a reflection of your "real person" attitude

I'm sure you legitimately think your toxic attitudes are doing a big favor to the cycling community too, "educating the sheeple" or some shit like that
>>
i have two things to say about this:
1) round the fucking edge of the disk brake and it's not gonna cut shit!!
2) i have searched for cuts caused by disks and only found tiny boo boos. i have sees more serious wounds caused by front rails...
>>
File: CURRENTYEAR.jpg (141KB, 669x664px) Image search: [Google]
CURRENTYEAR.jpg
141KB, 669x664px
>>1094066
Believe it or not, it's possible to be ~not nice~ to assholes on 4chan! You might not know that.

In fact, you seem to be the only toxic person here, insulting people and their kit for no reason. You're still doing an incredible job of projecting your own shitty image upon the board. You're basically the human embodiment of the current year argument, and there's nothing you can say at this point to prove me wrong.
>>
i like how the dick braek wars have kinda taken place of helment wars in bikecycleistan
>>
>>1094068
>comes into a thread with the "everyone is stupid except me" argument
>nu-uh! I'm the hero here! you're the one being a jerk!
at this point I have to assume you're playing an intentionally ridiculous persona to make a point about people with an irrational loyalty to obsolete, barely-working bikes

congratulations, you've both captured and skewered that point of view
>>
File: 20170726_222213.png (691KB, 718x759px) Image search: [Google]
20170726_222213.png
691KB, 718x759px
>>1094067
You have now. My knee. Two years ago now. Sliced in on the disc when i slipped remounting my cross bike. Surgery, many stitches, even now it doesnt have feeling. Different context from road racing but shows what can happen in a bad crash
>>
>>1094076
And yes that is my patella tendon showing
>>
File: ABSOLUTELYDISGUSTING.jpg (25KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
ABSOLUTELYDISGUSTING.jpg
25KB, 240x320px
>>1094070
>freds = everyone

yeahnice garry

You're still clinging on to the "bike that barely works" angle for some reason. Your behaviour can only be explained by a severe case of Fred; You feel personally insulted by somebody denigrating Freds, and can't even begin to fathom that a bike more than 2 years old and with some budget components can, in fact, be an capable machine if well maintained and cared for.

Now please leave the board while you take your gut micro-flora suppository, since apparently that's the latest Fred thing nowadays.
>>
>>1094076
Needs a little searing and some black pepper
>>
>>1094076
That's sweet but the bike in the photo has rim brakes. Pay attention when shitposting.
>>
>>1094076

dude I fell from my BMX about a year ago.
just like I fell from that thing a hundred times.
It asn't even particulary bad.

my right knee is still numb to this day.

...your injury still sucks though , sorry.
>>
>>1094079
well, isn't eveyone a fred to you? "losers" on "entry level BSOs", dentists who pay $2000 to replace a stretched chain, etc?

when everyone is the asshole, you're the asshole
>>
>>1094097
Yeah i was teaching my girlfriend to ride at the time what of it
>>
>>1093818
According to that post-TdF "TdF bikes" article on road.cc there were some disc enabled bikes in the peleton, so why would this be any bad?
>>
>>1093818
Just make covers for them. How fucking hard could that be?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.