[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japanese mamachari vs Touring Bicycle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 2608203.jpg (134KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
2608203.jpg
134KB, 640x426px
These bikes are built like tanks, you can ride one through winter weather without winter tires and rain season for years without it breaking down , yet they only cost around $100.

Why the fuck are bicycles so flimsy and overpriced outside Japan? You have to shell out at least 1000$ to get a bicycle that won't fall apart while riding it. Get your your shit together senpai
>>
single-speed gaspipe piece of shit in winter weather will "never break down"

what exactly do you define as breaking down? That's not so impressive tbqh
>>
I've had the chance to work on a couple of mamacharis that have made it across the ocean, and they're nothing special aside from the fact that they typically come equipped with lots of useful accessories.

There's no reason that Walmart couldn't sell the exact same bikes in the US at the same price point as shitty "mountain bikes," but they don't because there's almost no demand for those bikes here. A big reason why Walmart bikes are so terrible is that the folks who assemble them are contract workers who don't have adequate time, training, or motivation to adjust those bikes properly before sale, and that leads to failures from poorly built wheels and lack of lubrication.

If I had to, I'm sure that I could commute for a full year (I live about three miles from my work), including through winter snow, on a Walmart/Kmart/Target special, as long as I got it new and was able to adjust all the bearings and tension the wheels before subjecting it to use.
>>
>>1092809
Because most people ride a bicycle for fun or for fitness, or for transporting just themselves, therefore they don't need a cargo bike. Additionally your average recreational/casual rider isn't an athlete and only of average fitness at best and isn't going to do too well climbing any hill on a bike that weighs 30 pounds. You aren't going to shell out thousands of dollars for a 15 pound race bike and bolt a bunch of racks and baskets and panniers to it, either. Totally different kinds of bikes.

If you want a utility bike, then get a utility bike or a cargo bike, and you be sure to enjoy chugging up those ascents on something that weighs 30 pounds. Also enjoy paying up to as much as a mid-level race bike for one because they're a very limited market kind of bike and therefore aren't cheap either.
>>
>>1092841
That bike was not designed for cargo
>>
>>1092809
I mean have you actually ridden one of these along with a comparative US bike? Can you fairly make that direct comparison?

reality is almost all bikes are made in the same place in china and taiwan, same factories.

also not breaking down and working fully are different things. something can be not broken down but still be a piece of shit
>>
File: cffe18b9ecb4844027670562feae212a.jpg (463KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
cffe18b9ecb4844027670562feae212a.jpg
463KB, 1600x1067px
>>1093121
>>1092823

I've rode them. Japan had donated used mamachari by the shipload every year.

My team repaired them (most of them are in decent shape and only need brake pad replacement) and then gave them to health workers and teachers for free. We also sold them to banana and cassava farmer for a very cheap price, less than 10$ (although we still offer microfinancing schemes for them). We also give the bikes as an incentive for kids to do well at schools

As for how does it ride? Well it's a fixie so you can't expect much but it's way easier to ride than most of the bikes that was sold here. The step through frame means that you don't have to do the push-and-mount thing so women and kids will find it easy to ride.

Bike that is sold here typically divided into 2; either the old "flying pigeon" type which is built like a tank but heavy and quite a pain to pedal through, or the cheap, flimsy ones with shoddy welding that look like it would break into 2 without warning. This mamachari offers the best of both world, both being sturdy and comfortable

>pic related
>>
>>1092809
>You have to shell out at least 1000$ to get a bicycle that won't fall apart while riding it
This must be an Australian problem, you can get a perfectly adequate bike for $500 in the US if you're reasonably diligent.
>>
>>1093161
It's not a fixie.
>>
>>1093210
hwat
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.