[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a jap railfan and gonna visit London in a year. So give

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: thumb_400_01_px400.jpg (34KB, 400x249px) Image search: [Google]
thumb_400_01_px400.jpg
34KB, 400x249px
I'm a jap railfan and gonna visit London in a year.
So give me some information about London transportation.
double-decker, tube, DLR, crossrail, National rail, and so on.
especially National rail in the suburbs of London, for there are few contents about it in Japanese
>>
It's full of brown people.
>>
>>1092183
>>>/int/
>>
>>1092183
I'm on the Thameslink right now and about 90% of this carriage is white
>>1092179
What do you wanna know?
>>
File: IMG_20170719_215123.jpg (105KB, 600x687px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170719_215123.jpg
105KB, 600x687px
>>1092186
everything.
desu, I'm not sure about London transportation so I can't specify what to focus on.
Anyway, what's goin' on with Thameslink that you are on?
>>
File: tube_challenge.png (159KB, 1106x644px) Image search: [Google]
tube_challenge.png
159KB, 1106x644px
>>1092191
Ummm Thameslink have new class 700 trains on some routes which are relatively nice. But it's jam packed in the mornings.
Crossrail is the big project going at the moment but I probably won't end up using it much.
Of the urban/suburban National Rail lines, the Northern City Line (from Moorgate) is interesting because they haven't bothered rebranding it from the Network SouthEast days.
Not sure what else you might find interesting
>>
>>1092179
Why don't you look up where the Hitachi trains run in UK and ride those?
>>
>>1092179
You can wander around South London easily for an afternoon on the third-rail suburban trains out of Victoria or Waterloo. There's a lot less variety in the rolling stock on UK lines than there was 20-30 years ago, sadly. You can get to Brighton in 50 minutes from Victoria if you want a trip to the seaside.

DLR is cute because on most of them you can look out the front because they are driverless. Unfortunately there is nothing very scenic about the route.
>>
File: 1497808697362.jpg (6KB, 226x225px) Image search: [Google]
1497808697362.jpg
6KB, 226x225px
>>1092179
Well i'd definitely go see all the best stations like Paddington, St. Pancras, London Liverpool street, Blackfriars (imo) and Clapham Junction.

The new class 345's are now being used and you can get on one at London Liverpool Street.

There is the new class 700 used by Thameslink and the S Stock tube trains which are very nice.

Some of Abellio Greater Anglia's new stock might be around when you visit, but that might be 2019.

DLR is cool, the best place to be on one is going through Canary Wharf, i like the buildings.

Hopefully this is a bit useful to you. Have a great time!
>>
>>1092179
> "So give me some information"
No.
>>1092305
He's visiting London only. Otherwise he would ask about UK.
>>
>>1092179
Comfy stations;
High barnet
Goldhawk road(close to shepperds bush but wayy less busy,nearly always deserted)
Clapham common,because of the interesting old style platform
Embankment on the Northern line:It has an older style announcement of "Mind the gap"
>>
>>1092179
Westminster Tube station, Jubilee Line escalators if you can go there outside the rush is worth seeing. They are fitted into a bloody huge hole in the ground, and on top of it sit the Houses of Parliament. Amazing bit of engineering and a contrast between Victorian Gothic revival and late 20thC functional Brutalism.
>>
File: image.jpg (134KB, 630x447px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134KB, 630x447px
another interesting design, gants hill station

also worth reading about is the history of former/disused stations and lines

>>1092424
>Clapham Junction
ew
>>
>>1092500
>>Clapham Junction
>ew
I just loled. It's a shithole, but it's interesting to watch the sheer volume of traffic.
>>
>>1092186
First class ticket
>>
Don't know what /n/ thinks of them but there's a youtube channel Londonist, some of there videos are a bit cringy but they have a decent backlog about transportation in and around london
>>
>>1092458
>Goldhawk road
why would anyone want to go there?
>>
>>1092553
>Londonist
I watched a bunch of those videos and I have to admit I found most of them interesting and entertaining. Is Geoff Marshall /ourguy/?
>>
Things I would reccomend seeing:
>Class 345
These are the new trains for Crossrail, some are now in service from Liverpool Street.
>Class 395
These are the high speed trains used by Southeastern on the High Speed 1 route. It is worth taking a trip down to Ebbsfleet on these to experience the 140mph running.
>Tube
There are 2 categories of tube line, 'deep level' and 'cut and cover', the former being the smaller more rounded trains which run very deep underground. Cut and cover uses bigger trains (S stock). Interesting rolling stock on the tube includes the Bakerloo line 1972 stock, and the Victoria line 2009 stock. Some people like the motor sounds on the 1995 stock which you can find on the Jubilee and Northern line.
>Buses
It's worth taking a ride on a new routemaster, you can find them on many routes across London. There are also old routemasters on routes 9 and 15. It might be worth getting on a new alexander dennis Enviro400, and an Enviro400 mmc.
>Suburbs
North London is more interesting than the rest
>>
>>1093658

Have you not been watching All the stations? He is our guy but Vicki is our girl. Super QT
>>
For a nice day out, take South West Trains to Richmond,
There's a good chance you'll ride on the ex-gatwick express cars mixed in with ordinary 458 class cars.
Plus, Richmond is nice.
>>
>>1094233

Though more /out/ than /n/,
If you do go to Richmond, there's a nice little riverside trail that goes to Kingston. Hampton Court isn't far from there.

Don't forget Richmond park, neither.
>>
>>1092179
Tokyo's monorail will always be better.
https://youtu.be/bdt1zzp6Tcc
>>
File: 2017-07-27 18.40.02.jpg (269KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-27 18.40.02.jpg
269KB, 1200x900px
>>1094298
Maybe, I don't know, but the history of London's network and how it evolved over the years is what makes it interesting and unique.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.