[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /n/ feel about pedal assist? Considering buying the cope.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

How does /n/ feel about pedal assist?
Considering buying the cope.
>>
git gud
>>
>>1090672

Pedal assist is an interesting and promising technology with potentially broad applications for commuters, sport, casual, and professional riders.

Without knowing anything else about the thingy you posted, I am going to assume that it is hot garbage based on the fact that it is different for the sake of different.

Based on the fact that you posted a shitty piece of shit that doesn't even have foot retention, I can tell you don't know enough about bicycles to actually benefit from pedal assist.
>>
>>1090676
No clue if it works, but I did see the Kickstarter for the one OP posted, and I like the concept - swap the rear wheel, not the entire bike, and adjust the settings through a smartphone app.

Pretty much the only pedal assist/e-bike option I'd consider because it means I can use my existing bike.
>>
>>1090672
I see these all over my city. They seem to be good for people who have a hard time with bikes, commuters who really ride for convenience not because they love to ride bikes, old people, or if you have a fifty pound Dutch bike and many hills on your route.

Would suck for long rides or anyone who actually likes to ride a bike. I regularly can pass these bikes on flats and going up hills too
>>
>>1090672
I bought one as my first non-garbage bike. They're pretty nice and it helped me get into biking. I'm selling it now and going for a more traditional bike though.

I think they're a good way to get people into biking who would otherwise not.
>>
>>1090672
>all this trouble to lace a memehub to a matching rim
>chain is still slack
Why u do dis,its like people posting their expensive road bike from the non-drive side.
>>
>>1090682
>and adjust the settings through a smartphone app.
Hate this, since if they ever stop developing the app and it becomes unsupported the whole thing is useless unless they add an option to revert to an unpaired mode.
>>
>>1090944
As long as there's no serious bugs (or they don't introduce any) and it doesn't rely on connection to a server (it shouldn't do) then it doesn't matter if they stop developing, you can still use the app forever. Same way my Pebble watch didn't magically stop working after the company died.
>>
>>1090672
the thing about pedal assist like that is that you use it all the time, which any sane human will allow to do most of the work.
It nearly doubles the weight of your bike and makes it awful to pedal without the power on.
It also adds a layer of complexity to cycling that makes the consumer dependent on a manufacturer and the maintenance provider.
It's convenient but a bad idea.
>>
>>1090783
Do you even track slack you dumb fuck
>>
>>1090682
>Pretty much the only pedal assist/e-bike option I'd consider because it means I can use my existing bike.
You do realize just about every hub-motor option from the last 20 years came as an after-market conversion kit for existing bicycles, right?
>>
File: DSC_1151-1200-80.jpg (83KB, 800x538px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1151-1200-80.jpg
83KB, 800x538px
>>1090783
>He thinks SS/Fixed chains need to be tiiiiight
Kek. It's called Track-Slack, faggot.
>>
>>1090990
>>1091073
The bike in the OP is not a track bike dumb fucking niggers
>>
>>1091089
So that makes it necessary to run the chain tighter than is necessary?

If a world-class olympic cyclist can skid during a match spring without dropping his chain, there is no reason to run higher than track-slack tension on any on-road SS drivetrain bike.
>>
>>1091122
In fact, I'm just going to assume you're that oblivious and post the video for you.

>youtube.com/watch?v=Y-z0Kh0pvNM
>>
>>1090989
yeah, but it turns any fat slob into a cyclist with 10 times the power and stamina than the greatest cyclist to roam this world. And if the battery dies, they can still get home.

I feel like you got the bike down, just not the transportation down. The point of these is to be a car, not to be a bike if you get my meaning.
>>
>>1090676

Pedal assist?
Why not say motor? That's what it is, an engine to push the watts you're too lazy to deliver through the pedals.
>>
>>1091154
even the weakest cheapest motor does more pushing than your shitty legs ever could. To pretend you are helping the motor is wishful thinking. It doesn't need you one bit. The only purpose of the pedals is to save the battery.
>>
>>1091122
A track cyclist is riding on a perfectly flat surface
A commuter bike will go through potholes, curbs and any other number of road irregularities which make the chain jump and move around causing it to drop from the chainring or the freewheel.
>>
>>1091180
The newer generations are not throttle controlled. They have torque and cadence sensors, giving you varying amounts of power, depending on how hard you have to pedal. It's a pedal assist.
>>
>>1091122
Yes there is since riding with a slack chain prompt more frequent adjustment of the chain tension,since it will become "too" loose"faster.

In the event of riding SS(not fixed) the engagement angle will be higher since the upper part of the chain will have to be pulled taut before becomming able to transfer the load from front to rear.

This effect is more pronounced when riding with a coaster brake too since it will take a longer time for the lower part of the chain to be pulled taut when braking.

As mentioned the riding surfaces of a road are not as perfect as that of a track,promoting chain deraillment faster.
Plus the fast that city bike components can and are usually of lower roundness,meaning that there will be a more extreme difference between the tightest and lowest tension the chain will have.
>>
>>1091182
there are plenty that have full throttle control, even some of the cheap ass ones like sondors and radcity.
>>
>>1091196
Yes, but we were talking about pedal assist.
>>
>>1091191
>Yes there is since riding with a slack chain prompt more frequent adjustment of the chain tension,since it will become "too" loose"faster.
Running your chain too tight contributes to premature chain "stretch." it also wears out your drive side BB and R Hub bearings prematurely.

Just stop.
>>
>>1091228
BionX, Rad, Pedego, EasyMotion, etc were/are all pedal assist options with throttle. You'll find it on most hub-motor options, it's only newer mid-drive models like Bosch/Yamaha/Brose that lack throttles.
>>
>>1091237
>it's only newer mid-drive models like Bosch/Yamaha/Brose that lack throttles.
I should have said "mostly" instead of "only"
>>
>>1091196
>there are plenty that have full throttle control,
What in your mind qualifies as "full" throttle control? Throttles are generally on or off.
>>
>>1091236
For you there may be no middleground between tensioning the chain so tight it starts to bind and "le ebin track slack maymay" loose.

Try to work at a bike shop or 4 and pull that shit off on a igh townie bike with closed chaincase.
>>
>>1091242
there are some bikes that only turn on the motor when you pedal due to some stupid EU classifications which puts bikes with throttles in a more restricted class. Most bikes have a throttle you can just push a button and go full power without peddaling.
>>
pure pedal assists also (can) have a "throttle". Dunno if throttle is the right word, but it's an adjustment for the max motor power and/or the ratio of motor-power-to-pedal-effort
>>
>>1091518
you're just talking about assist levels, not full throttle.
>>
>>1091149
>I feel like you got the bike down, just not the transportation down. The point of these is to be a car, not to be a bike if you get my meaning.

This. I can comfortably ride the ~20 miles to work, no problem, even in the 108F heat here in the summer, but I can't do that without being drenched in sweat and needing a shower. Throwing a motor on my bike means I can make my commute without dragging around two tons of superfluous steel and burning a half gallon of guzzoline to show up ready to rock rather than reeking from an hour's ride of taint stank.
>>
Kind of like pedal assist, has anyone attached a gas motor to their bike? I want to do this, bike will cost 200 and motor kit will cost 300 I think. I might be better off buying a moped.
>>
>>1091154
There are plenty of good reasons to use a motor other than laziness.

- Going to a social function or office, dont want to sweat in nice clothes
- Have a leg injury or cardio disorder, can't push hard without risking health
- Exhausted and on the brink of injury already from hard training but need to get across town to do errands

t. bicycle racer
>>
File: DSC00354.jpg (145KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00354.jpg
145KB, 640x480px
>>1091089
my sides**
>>
pedal assist is here to stay
emrace it or not is always good to
have a choice in these matters
>>
>>1091657
saw some nigglets doing that in another state, thought it was hilarious, fucking thing sounded like a hog
>>
File: bicyle.png (220KB, 570x332px) Image search: [Google]
bicyle.png
220KB, 570x332px
the only acceptable form of pedal assist
>>
>>1091658
>- Going to a social function or office, dont want to sweat in nice clothes

This. My office doesn't have a shower and there aren't any gyms nearby. Wet wipes only go so far.
>>
Tons of better options out there
Cope wheel is sort of bottom tier
>>
File: bsa_tandem_winged_wheel.jpg (39KB, 480x263px) Image search: [Google]
bsa_tandem_winged_wheel.jpg
39KB, 480x263px
>>
>>1090672
pedal assist is a sign of late stage capitalism because it sucks the consumer into a cycle of planned obsolescence.
proprietary parts will break, batteries will spoil, and at the end of the day a third world country will pay the price for manufacturing technology that allows the wealthy to arrive to work a few minutes earlier without breaking a sweat.
>>
>>1099603
I feel you are correct when it comes to the turnkey ebikes from big names. The diy approach is pretty open for repair and upgrade though. A lot of people are going that route. Ebikes are relatively simple machines too- it's not like the ability for people to diy will be taken from them.
>>
pedal assist is the devils peddling.
>>
A little assist after a long day on the saddle is ok folks'
Leave Trump out of the debate
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.