[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

California HSR

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5

File: Maps0.jpg (729KB, 1800x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Maps0.jpg
729KB, 1800x1440px
California is underway with building a new High Speed Rail System. The state is building out the tracks while operations are to be handled by an international company including rolling stock. What would be the best trainset for the route depicted? The lines are also to shadow Metrolink ROW and share the tracks on the Caltrain ROW
>>
>>1090461
>The state is building out the tracks while operations are to be handled by an international company including rolling stock

What? Is this true or just a cuck fantasy you made up? If so that's just even more reason to shut this shit down.
>>
File: Const8.jpg (4MB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
Const8.jpg
4MB, 2500x1667px
>>1090464
>>
>>1090464
http://www.hsr.ca.gov/docs/programs/eto/ETO_PreBidFlyer_June_2016.pdf
>>
>>1090465
>>1090466
I'm asking about foreign interests running the show, not about construction taking place.
>>
>>1090468
There are five companies total that are looking to get the contract. Negotiations are ongoing as to which one will actually be chosen by the authority

http://www.raillynews.com/2017/five-international-consortia-apply-california-high-speed
>>
>>1090461
I would argue that Siemens has a good chance of building the rolling stock (little less on actually operating it) since they already have a plant in Sacramento so local jobs for the state and they company already has experience with high speed trains in the form of the Velaro
>>
>>1091568
not likely.

the corrupt dipshits in the california government will probably buy a Chinese knock off a shinkansen.
>>
>>1091570
eh we'll see what happens in what, 12 years was it in till phase 1 is done
>>
>>1090461
Didn't they already confirm a Chinese contractor had won the bid for a bullet train after Japan and Germany was too expensive
>>
>>1090465
>using scaffolding instead of standard bridge laying equipment
>>
>>1091577
Didn't that failed because the Chinese company refuse to build the train in the US?
>>
Senator Feinstein's husband gets rich from this.
>>
>>1091568
Honestly this.
It could also be Kinkisharyo and their Shinkansen-trains since they have experience in LA and other places in US with their light rail vehicles and of course the reliability of Shinkansens in Japan.
>>
>>1091605
But that will replace hundreds of union workers get paid $160K + full benefit to stand around for 7 hours and pretend to work for 30 minutes!
>>
>to shadow Metrolink ROW and share the tracks on the Caltrain ROW
so a west coast acela express? Just give them the old acela stock since they want to humilliate themselves so badly with a big dig 2.0
>>
>>1091706
>big dig

Why is America so corrupt and especially state governments?
>>
>>1091706
That's accounted for in the 2:40 SF to LA trip time. And at least for Caltrain, there are studies to grade separate every road crossing and to add additional tracks where possible.
>>
>>1091681
I'm still gonna lean a little towards Siemens because they already have a plant there and they've done other stuff besides lrt in the form of the city sprinters and the new chargers
>>
>>1091748
Ok, a slightly less shit version of the acela express then. Still, a shameful excuse of an HSR that cost >80 billions bucks<. For that price we could build another tunnel under the channel or heck, build a 3 lines tunnel under gibraltar.
>>
>>1091668
>(((Feinstein)))
Are you memeing
>>
>>1091835
It's 560 km in a direct straight line from LA to SF. It's not even remotely in the same league as building another channel tunnel.
>>
>>1091850
>He doesn't know who Diane Feinstein is.
>>
>>1091890
>It's 560 km in a direct straight line from LA to SF
>what are the Tehachapis

Faggot.
>>
>>1091894
Yeah, I know. That just proves my point further. LA to SF is infinitely more complex than simply building a new channel tunnel.
>>
>>1091896
Agreed, I get the sense that most of the people promoting this bullshit have never actually driven from SF to LA to know the terrain and why this is a terrible waste of money that won't be completed for decades, if ever.
>>
>>1091898
It wouldn't be so bad if literally every public infrastructure project in the United States didn't have such massively inflated costs. This is one of the few places in North America where HSR makes complete sense.
>>
>>1090461
Could have picked a more scenic route, I dont want to stare at a desert the entire way to SF.
>>
>>1091917
>spend $40 billion more to take even longer to get to LA because I want it to be some tourist toy ride with muh views

End your life, family.
>>
>>1091835
it mainly revolves around the FRA being over regulated than most other places and isn't HS2 in England gonna cost roughly the same amount yet not even half the length
>>
>>1091896
This is blatantly false from an engineering perspective, even when considering seismic factors.
>>
>>1091835
Nigger what?

Acela takes 7 hours to cover the 456 miles from Boston to DC.

CAHSR will take 2 hours 40 minutes to cover the 473 mile route that it will take from SF to LA.

That's not "slightly" better.
>>
>>1091917
Almost none of it is in the desert. Only part of the route between Bakersfield and the San Fernando Valley, between the Tehachapis and San Gabriels is desert.
>>
>>1092015
Once the service starts, the same NIMBYs who tried to kill the project are now going do 180 and make the HSR stop in their tiny shit suburb with 10,000 people.

Expect the journey to take 3.5 hours within 10 years of HSR service starting.
>>
>>1092022
Since they already revised the top speed to 120 miles it'll take 4 hours from the start anyway. The project is a fucking joke and if it were put up for another vote would fail spectacularly.
>>
Trump could build 3 walls and still have money left over this project lines the pockets of special interests and overpaid contractors beholden to Jerry and the band of spendthrifts in Sacramento. Taxpayers would be estimated to pony up 98 Billion for the total cost of this project when it is all said and done. What is the payoff, how will that benefit them there will never recoup the cost thru tickets on the train. I don't know where the author gets its figures of cost overruns but it was initialy going to cost 68 Billion, not 6.8 Billion big differance x10 and nor expected to be around 98 Billion WTH. The state could buy 490 Boing 767 freighters at 199 Million each and at least recover that expense thru tict sales and freight hauls over 20 years. Read more here http://cchsra.org/costs/
>>
>>1092030
kys familia
>>
>>1092032
Nice refutation. Does the state government know its employees are telling taxpayers to kill themselves?
>>
>>1092030
meh bait
gonna have to try harder man
>>
>>1092026
Isn't the 120mph top speed only between SF and San Jose due to having to share tracks with caltrain?
>>
>>1092026
This is false you lying fucking cunt. Kill yourself immediately.

>>1092022
Literally not how it works. There is a difference between express and "local" service.
>>
>>1092032
>>1092036
>>1092037
>>1092043
Wow, thanks for correcting the record! WTF I love Feinstein now!
>>
>>1092048
How is asking a question about the speed gets me lumped in with the rabid rail fags who don't want to see this fail
>>
High speed rail is 19th century old technology and dose not have a place in the 21st century, The true future of transportation is the hyperloop which will be full operational in 4 years and be hugely cheaper to build and operate than any rail system in the world. All while the average ticket will be equivalent to that of local bus ticket with a top speed of +700mph.

California so just immediately scrap the obsolete idea of using trains so and use the money from the scrap metal to build a hyperloop and give the extra money back to the people.
>>
>>1092056
>he fell for meme created by a guy who owns a car company
>>
>>1091712
Because democrats are leftists. Because leftists don't have legitimate revenue streams, they must use the state to acquire them. Their political party doesn't function if they don't use graft, sell political favors, and buy votes.
They need the power of the state to function, so as long as idiots exist in America, we will still have corruption.
>>
File: leftists.png (201KB, 1138x326px)
leftists.png
201KB, 1138x326px
>>1092056
>give the extra money back to the people.
... ... ... Are you not familiar with the last 120 years of American politics?
>>
>>1092048
The sooner you die, the better of our species will be.
>>
>>1092064
Literally the entire construction period of the Big Dig was presided over by Republican governors: Weld (91-97), Cellucci (97-01), Swift (01-03), Romney (03-07).
>>
>>1092067
It's physically impossible for you to be more butthurt.
>>
>My company is a sub contractor for Granite Const, Granite is doing a lot of work in Fresno, adjacent to the UP yard. They've already completed a new section of freeway there and Demo'd Clinton Ave bridge to build a higher one to accomdate HSR. Think about that, each bridge the goes over the current ROW for HSR has to be torn down and rebuilt 10-15 feet higher. I'd say it's going to cost double, possibly even triple by the time a train actually hits the tracks.

>On the bright side, a lot of laborers, operators and truckers in the Fresno area are working 40-60 hour weeks. That is the middle class getting union wages and benefits. It's not all going to the "fat cats". And they'll have that consistent schedule for years to come.

>It's better than tax cuts for the 1%.
>>
>>1091992
No, HS2 is gonna cost 42bn and it's even more of a scandal in britain that might actually be changed.

>>1091890
Alright, how about the Chuo shinkansen then, faggot. 70bn bucks for a line that cuts through tokyo and goes entirely through mountains before cutting through nagoya THEN back in mountain tunnels toward osaka.

>>1092015

That's the estimation, be sure to know the actual time will be plenty more because of what has been said earlier.
still, this HSR is a huge scam. calfags are gonna suffer.
>>
>>1092393
Really, I've seen most estimates say that HS2 is gonna cost around 40-55bn pounds which in USD is about 51-72bn, and since the route is gonna be around 316km when completed there might be a chance that the California project have a lower cost per mile/kilometer
>>
>>1092393
>No, HS2 is gonna cost 42bn and it's even more of a scandal in britain that might actually be changed.
It's only really a scandal for COCK-SUCKING NIMBY TORY FAGGOTS in the Chilterns. They're busy projecting their BS on everyone else.

And some of the stretches are going to be genuinely expensive, since building HSR through existing cities is usually not something you'd expect to be cheap. Occasionally you might get lucky and be able to use an existing corridor (e.g., the route into Leeds will do that) but the cost of building in both London and Manchester is just annoyingly high for a bunch of reasons.
>>
>>1092393
You have literally no evidence to back your claims. The time estime has, you know, basic math backing it up.
>>
>>1092536
Ah yes, there is no evidence of NIMBY groups, local mayors and other lobbyist to elongate, impose stupid speed regulations or generally fuck up, right, we totally saw that on the NEC...

>>1092478
Land price in the UK is dis proportionally high it's sickening.
>>
>>1092639
Listen cunt, you made a claim that HSR will definitely end up going up the East Bay instead. There is no evidence to support this claim. Nothing you say changes this fact.
>>
JR would have insisted on either elevated rail or tunnel. Making the absolutely most perfect track possible to maintain highest speeds possible. They would have cut a lot of the stops and built separate surface commuter rail to feed into the HSR stations.
>>
>>1092713
They also would have built it on time and under budget. Fresno to Bakersfield would already be running.
>>
>>1092675
No OP did, i said that if they did then then they could use the Acela stock if they wanted to be that retarded. buy glasses senpai.
>>
>>1090461
>have to drive an hour and 30 minutes through traffic to downtown from the coast just to take a train
>bus routes are short and have wonky ass schedules
>get shot or stabbed waiting at the station because gangs hang around them
>>
>>1093070
>he lives on the coast

wow, rich people problems. just take your fucking private jet
>>
>>1090461
graft/10
>>
>>1095958
Because spending literally twice as much on expanding highways and airports totally wouldn't involve any graft...
>>
>>1090461
The most underrated (or ignored) benefit of this is taking pressure off airports and freeing up gate space for longer distance flights to new markets and increased service frequency on existing routes. An absurd amount of gate slots are used for intrastate travel right now.
>>
>>1095974
Like anyone will ride this.
>>
>>1096002
You're dumber than a sack of horeshit.
>>
>>1090461
>and share the tracks on the Caltrain ROW
What? CAHSR alone is planning on running trains every eight minutes during the rush between San Francisco and San Jose during Phase 1. What a terrible idea.

Also I just noticed that Millbrae is referred to as Millbrae/SFO periodically. Are they planing on bringing back the Millbrae-SFO shuttle?
>>
is it going to turn out like Amtrak? cost more than flying and takes longer than driving.
>>
>>1093087
Nigga, I'm poor as shit.
All the poor fucks live between Malibu and Palos Verdes
>>
>>1096143
BART directly connects the Millbrae intermodal station to SFO.
>>
>>1092056
>believe in unproved advertisements
I bet you always get scammed by popup ads
>>
>>1092478
Aren't the HS2 going to be like, noticably more expensive than the Hokkaido Shinkansen Sapporo route which is more than 80% tunnels?
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.