[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's a good bike lock?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: bike_lock_bic.png (212KB, 450x297px) Image search: [Google]
bike_lock_bic.png
212KB, 450x297px
what's a good bike lock?
>>
Abus Bordo Ecolution
>>
Just take your bike in the store and walk around with it
>>
A strong D lock that fits around the rear wheel and the frame at the same time. Plus another lock for the front wheel to deter casual thieves.
I'd actually consider getting a skewer lock, since it's a lighter way to secure your wheels.
>>
Not OP but question that's similar. The cable lock I have is a combination lock, but am I better off with a cable that is a key lock instead?
>>
>>1090144
>cable lock
You're better off with a piece of string. And leaving a scissors laying on the ground next to it.
>>
>>1090142
>U lock around rear wheel and frame
>not just around rear wheel within rear triangle
>what is Sheldon Brown locking method
But yeah cable lock for front wheel (and as secondary lock for frame) is good. Folding locks are my favorite though, as strong as a u-lock and unusual so thieves aren't as experienced/prepared in breaking them.
>>
>>1090139

kek

https://youtu.be/opjDdMkpjXQ?t=173
>>
>>1090139

kek

https://youtu.be/opjDdMkpjXQ?t=173
>>
>>1090148
>use Sheldon Brown method
>someone with wire cutters snaps a few spokes and steals your bike

>lock frame and rear wheel with u lock
>power tools required to steal bike
>>
If your bike is some expensive Fred sled, just take it with you. There is no safe lock. Otherwise, just use something that prevents it from being carried off or broken with a side cutter in a few seconds.
>>
Basically this >>1090156 because of this >>1090150

The purpose should be to deter casual hobos and friday drunks from halfhartedly stealing your bike. A 20€ D-lock is ok for that. If any actual bike thief goes at it, even a 100€, 15kg lock wont do you much good.

If the bike is any more expensive than 300-400€, never leave it out of your sight.
>>
>>1090138
Is a really shitty bike less likely to get stolen or more likely?
>>
Don't live in a country full of niggers. I regularry lock my 2000€ commuter in front of stores and such with a 10€ lock and when I go to the countryside to my summer cottage, I don't bother locking my bike at all.
>>
>>1090155

>nigger IQ and motivation detected
>>
>>1090165
more likely because owners of these kinds of bikes tend to be more neglectful
>>
>>1090150

Why does your average American male speak through their nose? I mean fucking Christ they sound so nasally
>>
>>1090155
>forgetting about the rim
Thought you were clever, didn't you?
>>
>>1090138
I rig up an IED on my bike. A syrian refugee taught me how
>>
Your mom.
But seriously, get any Kryptonite U-LOCK. That flawed design was changed more than a decade ago.
>>
>>1090140
Also this. If they're not comfortable letting your bike into the store, they shouldn't be comfortable taking your money.
>>
>>1090220
I've actually taught so many times about this, but I keep thinking that someone else might get fucked by the explosion.
>>
>>1090234
A secondary option would be a dropper-style seatpost that contains a spike. So if someone tries to sit on it without tightening the bolt first, the seat just slams right down, revealing a nasty spike. Once sat on, dreams of stealing the bike tend to end quite fast.

Bike remains intact, although cleaning the blood off will be a pain.
>>
>>1090220
Some kind of scatter bomb in the saddle sounds satisfying.
>>
File: _20170710_194211.jpg (79KB, 540x536px) Image search: [Google]
_20170710_194211.jpg
79KB, 540x536px
Harbour freight sells this amazing lock and chain for $20 the lock goes bad after a few months though but the chain is incredibly strong/antitheft
>>
>>1090280
an 11 dollar boltcutter can go through anything you can buy. But youre right, buy something cheap for 20 dollars. How strong it is hardly matters.
>>
>>1090270
Saw a video where they had a taser in the seat and about 10 feet of braided fishing line attached to the frame a the bike stand so any would-be thieves got tased in the ass had the bike yanked from under them
>>
Abus 140 is the best deal for your money
If you need to lock up components, get one of Abus's smaller chain locks with a combo.
Bonus is you can use it to lock multiple bikes in a tight situation, or let a friend borrow it, or as a quickie cafe lock.
If you are in a situation where the Abus 140 with the chain isn't going to cut it, get a second Abus 140.
>>
just cover your bike in hornet attack pheromones.
>>
Feels good to live in a town where I don't even have to lock my somewhat expensive bike during visits to the supermarket. This place would be a thiefs paradise as everybody keeps their bikes outside in plain sight.
>>
>>1090138
big black guy named ben
>>
File: firefox_2017-07-19_22-11-30.png (106KB, 325x449px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2017-07-19_22-11-30.png
106KB, 325x449px
A stun gun hidden in the seat

https://youtu.be/NX9wHZSRTl0?t=1m22s

Seriously, kryptonite new york lock. It's really heavy and expensive though. A lighter/cheaper one is the kryptonite Series 2. You want a U-lock tho.
>>
>>1092329
>shilling for kryptonite
they're bad locks buddy
>>
File: 51b2pOk4YbL._SL160_.jpg (7KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
51b2pOk4YbL._SL160_.jpg
7KB, 160x160px
This one is really good. Thiefs cant even break it. you can see some youtube videos about it.

can find it on amazon: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B005VMO49U/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=9603-21&camp=1638&creative=6742&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B005VMO49U&linkId=9e1704e67b8d389b65b939bc256db73f
>>
I Can personally vouch for Abus mini u-lock. Good price, high security rating and very small. I've had it for a few years now and use it in the city. Combine with other locks if bike is valuable
>>
OnGuard Bulldog master race
>>
Kryptonite U-lock with a cable for the front rear. Get your rear wheel and frame with the U, and then loop the cable around the front and feed back to the U. Bam.
>>
>>1090138
The best U lock that money can buy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky8PuUUJWTM
>>
I leave my pet croc next to my bike.
>>
>>1090138
Kryptonite are very good as long as you get a new one, those old ones can be picked real easy like in your pic
>>
http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/abus-10ks-10mm-chain.html

This, except with a Abus' slightly cheaper titalium
closed shackle padlock because I'm not made of honey.

It weighs quite a lot but I don't mind the weight really, it's kind of reminiscent of the old days of running with a weighted pack.

Thinking of ditching the padlock for a U lock soon though, so I can get the back wheel & frame in the u lock then the chain through the frame, front wheel & around whatever I'm securing my bike to.
>>
a lot of the racks can easily be clipped or cut too. make sure the thing you lock it to is as strong as your meme lock.
>>
>>1092502
>resists pulling, twisting, and bolt cutters

but bike thieves don't pull, twist, or use bolt cutters, they use angle grinders. one u-lock is as good as the next, basically.
>>
>>1090140
>Just take your bike in the store and ride it around
ftfy
>>
>>1093985
Location is important to bike security too. Don't lock you bike up somewhere that a thief can pull out a fucking angle grinder without anyone noticing.

If I saw or heard someone using an angle grinder on a bike lock I'd call the police.
>>
File: blow.jpg (60KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
blow.jpg
60KB, 800x800px
Is there some kind of microchip or gps tracker that one could put in their bike ìn case of the off chance that the thief has a blow torch?

Kevlar D-lock?
>>
>>1093985
false, some steel is softer than others and some locks only catch on one side of the shackle.
locks that catch on both side either require two cuts, or one cut and some serious leverage.
>>
>>1093051
W2c, do they do ok in cold?
>>
>>1095663
bump
>>
>>1090168
this, I never lock my bike and it's never been stolen. I left my bike on the street without thinking and someone brought it to my apartment for me.
>>
>>1095663
Sure there are some in the aperance of lights
If you have dynanmo powered lights it would never run out of batteries.
>>
Someone needs to build remotecrontroled brakes
Imagine the front disc brake clashing
With full force when the thief Is cycling With full speed
>>
>>1095663
the GPS part is easy. the trouble is broadcasting the position so that you know where it is.
>>
>>1090138
>not equipping your bike with a tracking device, electric shock collar, and a homemade bomb all hidden withing the seat piping
>not tracking down your stolen bike via GPS with a troupe of friends brandishing weapons
>not threatening the thief that you'll blow their brains out if they don't give the bike back
>not threatening the thief that you'll remote detonate the bike, killing/maiming any of their faggot thief friends in the garage where your bike is being stowed

it's like you want your bike to be stolen
>>
>>1099763
Upvoted
>>
>>1090138

Theft is highly location dependent and to a lesser extent use dependent. So people on the net cannot advise you a good bike lock for a location they are unfamiliar with. Generally get the lightest lock you could get away with in your area.

I live in suburban Northern NJ and I use a cheap 6 foot 20 mm cable lock.Normally I try to lock up my bike behind some trees which are ubiquitous in the area, behind a given store or as close as possible to a store window. I do that because no one really walks, so no one will really even see hidden amongst the trees by a given storec. Now had I lived in nearby NYC or Newark, no bike lock would be good enough and by now I would have likely had at least one bike stolen. In dense American urban areas we just have too many drug addicts clustered for bikes to be safe.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.