[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTB dropbar conversions.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4

Can we talk about adding dropbars to MTBs? I really like the concept of gravel bikes, but they are not really available here yet (bike fads arrive here with a quite bit of delay) and importing isn't an option.
I was thinking of buying a 29er and make the conversion, I know that the brakes will be an issue but Tektro's RL 520 brake levers are available.
What I wanted to discuss was mostly more subtle considerations about geometry, for example, if one wanted to use a 700x38c wheelset, you could consider either a 29" frame or a 27,5" one, you would get different clearances, changes in the BB height, etc.
Also, is there something inherently wrong with drop bars and front suspension?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1vSHauv1VY
>>
>>1089250
If you want to use 700x38c tires, why convert a mountain bike? Just grab a cyclocross bike, there will be a lot fewer compromises. The BB will be a little higher and the tire clearances will be a little tighter than on a "gravel bike", but it'll be much closer than a converted mountain bike. Dropbar mountain bikes are fun, but they're not gravel bikes.

I ride a dropbar-converted mountain bike - a rigid frame meant for 26" wheels. Pictured here with 650B x 48mm tires, and I've also ridden it in the past with 700C x 35mm tires. The 35mm tires baaaarely cleared the frame. The 48mm ones on the smaller rims fit fine.

The BB is stupidly high off the ground for a bike that's mostly ridden on pavement and smooth gravel/dirt. The steering is also really slow compared to a gravel bike, because it has a slack MTB headtube and therefor a ton of trail. I'm about to throw on a non-suspension-corrected rigid fork which should drop the front end a bit and quicken the steering, but it might make the seat tube too steep. We'll see.

You'll also have trouble fitting shifters. Bar-ends work, as do things like Paul's Thumbies and Gevenalle that mount the bar end shifters in other locations, but you'll have compatibility issues if you try to run brifters with MTB derailleurs.

No, there's nothing inherently wrong with drop bars and front suspension.
>>
If you need suspension then drop bars are unsuitable. If you mostly ride proper off road trails drop bars are unsuitable. If you want to run drop bars a mountain bike frame is probably going to be unsuitable.

If you just want to ride on gravel and dirt paths then get a CX bike or a road bike with clearance for some chunky off road tyres.
>>
File: 070917.jpg (508KB, 2640x2260px) Image search: [Google]
070917.jpg
508KB, 2640x2260px
>>1089250
The answer to your questions is that there's no problem putting drop bars on any bike - the difficulty is getting the fit right. On most mountain bikes the toptube is relatively short, so you'll need an unusually tall/long stem or stack to be able to reach the bars comfortably, and that can produce less-than-ideal handling characteristics if the bars end up too close/far from the steering axis. Late 80's mountain bikes are great for conversions because they had longer top tubes.

And there's nothing wrong with drop bars on bikes with suspension, but if you're riding somewhere rough enough for suspension to matter than you'll probably want flat bars anyways because your wrists flex most easily in a horizontal orientation. Not that there's anything wrong with drops for riding rough stuff, but it's more fatiguing to be on drops if you're spending lots of time on really rough trails.

See the video the previous anon posted for a little bit of discussion of some common issues with brake/shifter compatibility.
>>
File: photo_2017-07-10_14-38-51.jpg (391KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-07-10_14-38-51.jpg
391KB, 1280x960px
>>1089269

dude mtbs , even 90s rigid have long toptubes.

mixed with a very high bb you get a huge saddle to bar drop and a way too long reach if you use a normal stem setup.

that's why they are usually very high and super short, like in the picture you posted.

I feel like northroad bar conversions are way better suited since you don't have to mix shifters and deraileurs and you can easily archive a comfortable position on the bike with multiple hand positions.

pic related , saved from a pybt a few months back
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.