[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Key System

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: key-system-187-other.jpg (163KB, 1200x808px) Image search: [Google]
key-system-187-other.jpg
163KB, 1200x808px
San Francisca/n/s...

1) Was the Key System considered an interurban or a rapid transit system?

2) In its final years, had the development of the metropolitan area rendered it obsolete, or did it still serve a viable route?

3) Would it have been possible for the city/state to take over and modernize it (e.g. buy new cars, get the right-of-way out of streets, subsidize it) rather than building BART from scratch?
>>
>>1088341
>1) Was the Key System considered an interurban or a rapid transit system?

Interurban, like the Sacramento Northern and SP interurban lines running through the area simultaneously.

>2) In its final years, had the development of the metropolitan area rendered it obsolete, or did it still serve a viable route?

During WW2 parts of the line were rebuilt and extended to serve war industries and meet increased need for transportation. It was a viable route and with proper management and public support could have been maintained.

>3) Would it have been possible for the city/state to take over and modernize it (e.g. buy new cars, get the right-of-way out of streets, subsidize it) rather than building BART from scratch?

Maybe not the state itself, but a BART type arrangement within the region that also incorporated the Sacramento Northern lines could have easily been implemented if the will to do so was there in the 1940s.
>>
Interesting cars. They look almost more European than American.
>>
>>1088354
I often wonder how American interurban cars would have continued to develop and evolve beyond the 1930s-1940s.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.