[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

new here, i want to start mountain biking on trails. I need a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: cropped_100_1457.jpg (316KB, 1200x485px) Image search: [Google]
cropped_100_1457.jpg
316KB, 1200x485px
new here, i want to start mountain biking on trails. I need a bike, what should i get? should i not even bother with a 200 dollar budget?
>>
pls resond
>>
>>1086729

200 is going to seriously limit your options.
That will buy you a 90's full-rigid and maybe a set of new tires.

You can certainly ride singletrack with that, learn some stuff, and have fun. But you're going to have to be pretty careful on the trails, because the old cheap-ass single-walled wheel rims can be damaged very easily during normal riding at even relatively low speeds.
>>
>>1086734
am i better off getting something off craigslist? or just go to a local bike shop with good reviews.
>because the old cheap-ass single-walled wheel rims can be damaged very easily
basically i can expect them to bend a bit after rough use?
>>
try to find an old rockhopper on craigslist to start off. ride it until you git gud, then start looking at aggressive hardtails in the 1-2k range.
>>
>200 dollar budget
90s rigid mtb
>>
>>1086735
>200 dollars
>LBS
lolno
Craigslist is your only option
If you had a bit more to spend then a hardtail on pinkbike.com/buysell
>>
>>1086729
For trails like that anything will do, a beach cruiser or possibly even a road bike could handle that. But I would recommend a basic hardtail or rigid MTB at least. The tire width/tread and handlebars are the main thing that give you the traction and control for off-roading. For 200 dollars of course craigslist is your best bet. I see a decent number of Gary Fisher bikes, etc. A Wal-Mart bike might suffice but you really have no idea what kind of issues it might have. Some department store bikes are ok. If this is your only option try to get an aluminum frame and maybe mechanical disc brakes. But you don't need disc brakes or suspension for MTBing and a quality frame, wheel set, and drivetrain is the more important thing for many years of riding.
>>
>>1089106
>>
>>1086729
i got a grand canyon al 5.9 for $900

and it still seriously limits your rides, the brakes are acera level they don't have the performance for long controlled down rides on a trail.

the forks i first thought gonna be a problem and yeah i would enjoy something more serious than a 30 gold tk, but they are not actually bad i have to tell you they feel rather firm for their feather weight and price category.

it's perfectly good mtb for climbing tho that's not the issue. it was made to climb and it was made to be cheap.

for $200 you don't even get a decent break set.
>>
>>1089152
oh and for $400 you can get a low miles used relatively modern mbt of entry level. i happen to know a guy who sells one in that price range. and there is a lot of others. getting a 90's rigid mtb for $200 is just retarded imo.
>>
>>1086729
Get used. Basically most you can ask for is aluminum frame, Shimano cassette system and threadless stem fork.

But get something and get riding. 200usd bike if its not broken will do perfectly fine. Then youll have the chance to learn all the finer details and upgrade as needed.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.