[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TdF 2017 general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 14

File: valverdecrash3.jpg (54KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
valverdecrash3.jpg
54KB, 960x544px
http://racecenter.letour.fr/#/stageprofile

The first stage was a 14km time trial in Dusseldorf, it was raining lightly which caused a few crashes.
It was won by Geraint Thomas in 16m 04s.

Alejandro Valverde had to withdraw after a bad accident (pic related), he's abandoned the tour and was taken off to hospital. He seemed to lose traction on a wet corner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t46JY1ur8LA

Nicolas Roche slid on some tram tracks, Dylan Groenewegen seemed to spontaneously lose traction on his front wheel and Rick Zabel also went down but all three recovered and continued.
>>
>>1086553
>Dylan Groenewegen seemed to spontaneously lose traction on his front wheel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_VVW2gvHj0
>>
>>1086553
>Rick Zabel
I think this is him.
https://youtu.be/98qIe0e0zZ0?t=4
>>
File: Stage1.png (2MB, 1490x1078px) Image search: [Google]
Stage1.png
2MB, 1490x1078px
>>1086553
>>
Wet corners are nightmare fuel. When I'm heading down my balls are in my fucking mouth when it's wet
>>
>>1086562
Just stay away from the brakes son
>>
>>1086568
I think this is opposite of good advice
I mean shit, I hit the floor last wednesday
>>
>>1086570
>braking
>the opposite of good advice

Maybe you're talking about descents in the wet?
Braking when wet can be dangerous, there's sense in gearing down and pedaling lightly through a turn to keep traction. You have traction when accelerating but not when braking, that's when you can skid on a wet surface.

Feathering the brakes while pedaling in a low gear (big cog) is a tactic for staying upright.
>>
>>1086553 (OP)
14km, 16m 4s
If I did my math right, he was doing an average of 52.28 km/h for 16 minutes.
>>
When cornering in the wet, is it better to lean more your body or your bike?
>>
>>1086604
On road I always lean body first, never had any issues with wet grip...

I don't know if it's "proper" form, it's mostly a habit from my motorsickle days. When you are used to accelerating from wet ramps at 100kph, cornering on a bicycle doesn't seem such a big deal.
Maybe also experience from lower grip conditions and sliding the bike on purpose helps to relax even if it slips a bit.

Ps. I'm sure I'll highside into a tree on my next ride after saying this...
>>
Jesus skinny road tyres really have shit grip.
>>
>>1086604
>When cornering in the wet, is it better to lean more your body or your bike?
I try to lean as little as possible but that might be fear.

There are differences of opinion about which to lean, if you lean the bike then you have a chance to pull it back up if shit starts to go sideways. If you lean yourself then it's harder to pull yourself up.

OTOH: If you lean the bike, you're on the side of the tread and less tread is on the road, if you lean yourself then the wheels are still mostly upright and applying more surface area and thus tread to the road.
>>
>>1086618
>Jesus skinny road tyres really have shit grip.
Sort of.

The riders are in a predicament though:
If they don't hold back and then fall, they lose to everyone but if they hold back, then they lose to the person that didn't hold back and didn't fall.

So they ride pretty aggressively, which makes for good television. That's the idea of segments like this, they encourage interesting riding and they also cull the field a little.

The guy that started TdF (Desgrange, there's a monument to him on a mountain summit that is usually a stage) once said that his ideal race would be one where only a single rider survived to cross the line in Paris. Then again, his first race wasn't well attended because it was stupidly difficult and dangerous.
>>
>>1086617
>tfw you lean your body more than your bike and stick a knee out out of habit when cornering on a bicycle
I've also noticed that I outbrake at least 95% of cyclists whenever I'm coming down steep mountain passes.
>>
N A I R O M A N
A
I
R
O
M
A
N
>>
File: german roads.webm (2MB, 889x500px) Image search: [Google]
german roads.webm
2MB, 889x500px
>>1086618
They are not too bad as long as you dont hit loose debris on the road, but the roads were also just ridiculously slipperly in this TT. I dont think wider tyres would have made much difference desu.
>>
>>1086739
Roadie brakes suck dick at descensing tho.. On my mtb they are just like a motorbike so I can brake late and pick a better line
>>
>>1086750
They are amazing as long as you + the bike dont weigh too much. You can approach a hairpin at 80 and brake down to 30 in an instant in the dry on a good road. In the wet its a whole other story of course, but thats more down to tyre grip than braking performance.
>>
>>1086750

That is why riding road bikes is a high IQ sport vs mouthbreathing mtb monkeys.
>>
>>1086749
That support guy was on the ball, lol at his skating.
>>
File: 1491399980514.jpg (21KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
1491399980514.jpg
21KB, 570x570px
>>1086749
>the roads were also just ridiculously slipperly in this TT
I was actually suprised after seeing this that there weren't more crashes. Considering that you could pretty much slide on those roads like on ice, you could say that modern skinny tires actually have astonishing grip, considering the contact area with the road.
>>
File: grivko.webm (3MB, 891x500px) Image search: [Google]
grivko.webm
3MB, 891x500px
>>1086759
yes I was also surprised at the way some guys were cornering, knowing full well they could go down any moment. Shit is so treacherous especially with those white lines.
>>
anyone got an acestream for this?
>>
>>1086761
That was a lovely line.

You can see that he slows to turn sharply and then cuts across the dodgy part as perpendicular as possible and stays straight for as long as possible.
>>
File: gif_2003 stage 9.gif (944KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
gif_2003 stage 9.gif
944KB, 250x188px
>>1086761
>tfw the tar is melting and both possibility of beating Armstrong and your whole career dissapears
>>
>>1086771
And then Armstrong cuts through a paddock and actually gains time when avoiding your fall.
>>
>>1086771
I thought that was actually the tires coming unglued or something?
>>
>>1086775
a true winner
>>
>>1086750
Maybe if you're using bargain bin calipers, cables and pads.
>>
So, which sprinter is a favorite in today finish?
>>
>>1086776
I heard it was some tar patch on the asphalt melting due to huge heat that day, but I'm not sure. Could be both, considering those are both susceptible to high temperatures.
>>
>>1086751
I weigh around 63kgs... I can't break the front to anywhere near grip limits. I don't pump my tires to 9000psi so maybe I have more grip than the proper racers.
>>1086793
I guess everything I've tried is shit then.
How to pick better stuff?
>>
>>1086761
>>1086554
>>1086553
Watching these makes me cringe so hard, I've crashed or nearly crashed so many times that way I can't help but sympathetically feel fright and pain.
>>
>>1086761
Almost gave me a panic attack waiting for him to go down.
>>
Spoilers: The dopers win this year
>>
>>1086883
so? doesnt make it less enjoyable
>>
>>1086883
We should just legalise doping already, I want to see these guys go fast.
>>
>>1086883
spoilers: it's not called doping if you have a TUE form.

It is sophisticated now and anyway, everyone is doing something at some point.
>>
>>1086873
Never had any problems with brake performance on Chorus or Ultegra brakes and decent cables + pads. 2 fingers enough to lift rear wheel even with carbon brake surfaces. My Tiagra equipped commuter isn't up to the same standard and the brakes do feel a bit mushy.

>How to pick better stuff?
Nothing made by FSA.
>>
>>1086883
so literally any of them can win?

>>1086922
they're on better shit than you can get away with using tue
>>
>>1086875
>I've crashed or nearly crashed so many times that way I can't help but sympathetically feel fright and pain
Well the majority of viewers of the TdF aren't even cyclists so they probably don't empathise as much as we do. Also, it's 'exciting' television regardless since here we are talking about it and not about Sagan's quite standard and professional run with no errors and mid-high placing.

They design the course and stages to provide risk of accidents since it's exciting and it also distinguishes the excellent riders from the merely good while providing enough risk to challenge even the best.
>>
>>1086942
>Nothing made by FSA.
Their cranks are fine.
>>
>>1086761
Beautiful
>>
>>1086777
>Armstrong
>a true winner
Well, he might have been such a cunt that he could be made an honourary shitposter and he doped and lied for years and actually ruined a career or two of people who didn't lie for him but he could actually ride.
>>
>>1087027
Literally have had two (2) FSA cranksets break on me by the axle coming loose. I wrote the first one down for bad luck but after the second time I made a promise to myself never to buy anything from FSA ever again.
>>
>>1087072
Gossamer?
>>
Action photo from yesterdays stage
>>
>>1087081
accidental Renaissance
>>
>>1086922
>everyone is doing something at some point
Indeed.
http://road.cc/content/news/225039-italian-cyclist-aged-14-reportedly-fails-anti-doping-control-after-regional-race

>>1087081
Just hoping for some hidden injury with Froom here. And seeing Sky mixing their strategy would be pretty interesting.
>>
>>1087076
Gossamer and Omega. Didn't even abuse them at all. Just normal riding on roads. Meanwhile I've had cranks from Shimano and Campy go through much more abuse and miles without any problems.
>>
I don't know if non native speakers or even Americans and Canadians can tell but chris froome used to speak with a strong south african accent but has obviously been trying very hard to speak with an English accent

Sometimes when he starts talking it's clearly south African and he realised then quickly trys going to the English accent again but if you're British/Australia/kiwi/south African you can probably tell it's always got a saffer tinge

Kind of sad that he had to present himself as British to have a chance at being wiggos successor even most Brits don't really consider him to be british

Hope geraint ends up winning this year
>>
>>1087082
This man has educated humor, i like it.
>>
>>1087351
>Plebbit reference
>Educated humour

Kys
>>
File: 1490249364982.png (126KB, 800x769px) Image search: [Google]
1490249364982.png
126KB, 800x769px
>>1087081
>dat shredded leg sticking in the air

I want legs like that tbqhf
>>
>>1087336

I've been working with a South African client at an unrelated thing.

It's clearly a distinct dialect but I can't put my finger on why.
>>
>>1087444
It's similar to the New Zealand accent in some ways.
They basically just pronounce some long vowels short and short vowels long.
>>
>>1087081
>they all look the same
are these cunts grown in a vat or something
>>
File: ukip.jpg (128KB, 652x960px) Image search: [Google]
ukip.jpg
128KB, 652x960px
>>1087336
>he had to present himself as British to have a chance at being wiggos successor even most Brits don't really consider him to be british

You really are a piece of work aren't you. When a person moves from a region with one accent or dialect, to a region with another accent or dialect, their own speech gradually changes to more closely resemble their new surroundings. This is completely normal and doesn't mean there's a reptoid conspiracy to pull the wool over your eyes and make you "forget".
>>
>>1087501
Hmm yes that would make sense but if you even knew fucking anything you'd know Chris froome has NEVER lived in the uk

He grew up in Kenya, went to school in south Africa and lives in Monaco

How about next time you don't know what the fuck you're talking about you just don't bother saying anything instead of embarrassing yourself you dumb fucker
>>
>>1086618
I did that on a mtb although my back tyres pretty bald
>>
File: 1499181791503.png (799KB, 1340x757px) Image search: [Google]
1499181791503.png
799KB, 1340x757px
>>1087081
Thomas just surrendering to the void there.
>>
File: 1471294088064.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1471294088064.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>1087605
Cav getting his karma payout for mudering that gook
>>
>>1087613
Cav is just an asshole. He crashed into sagan
>>
>>1087613
that's so fucking savage
this should be incentivized in all race events.
>>
>>1087613
I still don't get how he didn't get anything for that.
>>
>>1087623
he probably threatened to stab the jury
>>
File: xfiles-killswitch14.jpg (59KB, 400x177px) Image search: [Google]
xfiles-killswitch14.jpg
59KB, 400x177px
>>1087597
>rides for a british team
>surrounded by bongs 24/7
>whoa what's with the british accent?
Yeah you got me there, the reptoids must be behind this
>>
>>1087685
>9 sky riders
>0 of them are English or have English accents

Again, when you don't know what you're talking about don't embarass yourself

And what's this weird shite about reptoids you keep screaming about? Zero relevance to anything I've said
>>
>>1087690
>the riders are the team
>not the oodles of britbong staff hes surrounded by 24/7
Dude, I'm not even the guy you're arguing with but you're so pants on head retarded I feel the need to point these obvious facts out. Please take them in. The stupid might subside a little.
>>
>>1087694
Jesus Christ you're a fucking moron

You seriously think that he would pick up a southern English accent when probably 5-10% at most of the people he spends his time with have that accent?

Most adults who move abroad will keep their accent for decades if not their whole lives and that's being surrounded 24/7 with one specific accent

I really don't understand why any of you that probably can't even tell the difference between south African accents and English accents without being prompted in the first place felt the need to get extremely butthurt and throw a temper tantrum about it
>>
>>1087501
>>1087597
>>1087685
>>1087690
>>1087694
>>1087696
Exhibit C, People will argue about anything.
>>
>>1087696
If you really need to believe for some reason that an athlete picking up an accent from his close associates is a sign of a deep conspiracy then, obviously, no amount of reasoning will matter. We might as well be arguing whether his blink pattern is secret code for "free Rhodesia" and you can look at the last significant digit of his heart rate at the end of every stage to see if there is a secret message tuned to activate a kill switch in his domestiques.
>>
>>1087613
Velodromes have nasty crashes, on a hard one, the wooden boards can splinter and stab people who are already traveling at high speed.

That guy savagely broke velodrome rules, you're not supposed to just weave around the place, there are strict rules about how you overtake. That said, I'm not really sure whether those apply in races or not.
>>
File: 1497487759754.jpg (49KB, 525x610px) Image search: [Google]
1497487759754.jpg
49KB, 525x610px
>Uran wins stuck on 53/11

NOT ONLY did this madman race a stage with 4,000m+ of climbing on a non-compact crankset, he had to pedal 15 km to the line with pretty much one viable gear. Goddamn legendary
>>
File: chris-froome-running.jpg (219KB, 1000x636px) Image search: [Google]
chris-froome-running.jpg
219KB, 1000x636px
>tfw Aru is 18 secs before u
Good, I hope that someone wears the yellow.
>>
>>1089301
>>NOT ONLY did this madman race a stage with 4,000m+ of climbing on a non-compact crankset
Do the pros ever actually use compacts?
>>
>>1089505
Apparently team cannondale does occasionally go down to 52/36 x 11/32 or something similar. Other than that I've never heard of them actually being used. Maybe the pro conti teams?
>>
>>1089505
Very rarely now since WiFLi, semi-compacts and the possible Shimomo equivalents. Commenters commented that Skellington rode 38/32.
>>
>>1089505
on a hellacious climbing day yes, 50/34-11/28 or 11/32 is standard
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.