[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Burned by a bike shop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

Has anyone else been burned by a bike shop?
I meet the seller of bike at one to have it inspected before buying it. The inspection found only one problem with the bike, a crack in the front deralleur hanger which was preventing the bike from changing gears in the front. After the mechanic pointed this out to me I asked him if this would be repairable. He assured me that this wasn't a problem and he would fill out the to see if the manufacturer would extend the warranty to cover the part so I would only have to pay for labor. So I ended buying the bike and boy that was a fucking huge mistake. A couple days after buying the store called me and said that piece is no longer available and the only way they could help me was buy selling me a 1200 dollar replacement frame set. I feel like such a fucking retard for trusting them. I even asked the mechanic if this part was still available since I didn't want to buy a unrepairable bike and he reassured me that it was an easy fix. Has anything similar happened to anyone else?
>>
>front derailleur hanger
You mean piece OP?
>>
>>1085819
Yes that piece.
>>
>>1085817
No, they didn't 'burn' you, they said they'd ***TRY*** to get the warranty extended, not that they would ***DEFINITELY, GUARANTEED*** get the warranty extended, but you jumped the gun anyway and paid someone for a broken bike, and now you're all butthurt and pissy over your own mistake and are looking to place blame wherever you can. To make matters worse now you're wasting our time by whinging and whining about it here on /n/ when it's clearly your own fault that you're stuck with a piece of shit broken bike. Aside from the obvious course of action of killing yourself, what you COULD do at this point is try to get the original seller to refund your money and take the bike back, but really since you made a bad decision you're stuck with it and he'd be doing you a big favor. What you shouldn't be doing is taking it out on everyone else just because you're pissed that you made such a gigantic mistake. Maybe next time you'll have a little more patience and not fuck yourself over paying good money for a broken piece of garbage. Oh and by the way I'd bet that the bike was stolen in the first place and the seller won't even return your calls now. Good luck with your broken POS crap bike, faggot OP, LOL, what a dumbass.
>>
>>1085820
You can get bolt-on replacement derailleur hangers. Not a bolt on derailleur, but a bolt-on attachment for a hanger.
Get one of those and throw a brick into the store window the next day.
>>
Don't you have laws in your third world country?

If they said they'd replace it, then it's part of the contract
>>
>>1085827
You'll also have to dremel away the old broken one but eh, that's a price to pay.
>>
Anyone else work in bike shop here?

>customer comes in
>asks for help inflating her tiers
>say no, we have a air hose out, do it yourself
>boss tells us not to help people like these, because eventually they will have bad tubes and they will blow when inflated, and blame us
>she says she bought the bike here and doesn't wanna blow the tires
>well, boss isn't here today...
>reluctantly agree
>her bike has dunlop valves
>oh shit
>start inflating
>blow her tires
>she gets crazy and blames me and says she will get late to a meeting now
>say I'll replace the tubes real quick
>open the door
>get on the floor
>everybody walk the dinosaur
>>
>>1085840
Are you the same guy from the scraederVSpresta thread?
Because I can't really figure out what dunlop valves have to do with the increased risk of blowing up a tube.
>>
>>1085848
Nah, not me. Just gotta give the tire a pinch and trust your fingers and you don't really need a pressure gauge.
>>
>>1085849
Well..we'll have to disagree there.
If I pump up my 37-590 tires to 4.5 bar they feel to teh nakkid hand the same as one thats pumped up to 5 bar,but the 5 bar one does feel a lot nicer on superflat roads.

However if youve worked a lot with tires of different sizes (maybe you have too) you can get a feel for it.
>>
>>1085832
>Being this retarded

I bet you think the customer is always right and that warranty covers you crashing your bike and snapping the frame
>>
Just with service (and I've been learning so I don't have to go there)

>pay $80 for a wheel truing, wheel is still wobbly, tries to sell me a $200 wheel
>Guy on the phone says "$8-10", costs $30
>Guy installs new tire and I tell him 120 psi, get 1/2 way through the ride, pinch flat, 100 psi, refuses to even give me a new tube
Just small stuff like that. There's really only 1 bike store in town that's good for service so I've now got a guy who works out of his basement and puts love into his bikes and I'm learning slowly to do everything myself.
>>
>>1085895
Oh ya and that $30 fix didn't work and I had to pay my basement guy $10 to actually fix it.
>>
>>1085895
>>pay $80 for a wheel truing
for a single wheel? holy fuck, you've been scammed hard, and even for a wheelset thats way too much
>>
>>1085907
The subsequently closed the store. He didn't even tell me that's what he was going to do, just that he thought the front end of my bike was "unsafe" and that he would fix it all. Kind of bullied me into it as well.
>>
>>1085910
He*
>>
>>1085825
I would agree with you 100% if the bike store didn't reassure me that they could easily fix this. The mechanic said that if the warranty was extended then that would cover the price of the part and if it didn't get extended then I would have to pay for the part as well as the labor. He said nothing about the possibility of the part not being made because I specifically told him that if this part is not available I wouldn't buy the bike. He said that he understood and continued to tell me that it was a cheap and easy fix. >>1085827
It's an areo bike so bolt on hanger won't fit.
>>1085835
Not on this bike, it's a tiny cast aluminum bracket thats riveted on to the frame.
>>
Bike shops out here get me by selling "new" parts aka used parts/returned parts in new part boxes usually missing the required spacers or install tools.

Like all their Shimano bottom brackets don't come with the plastic Shimano tool.

All of their cassettes are all missing spacers

Take off from new bikes being sold as brand new parts
>>
>go to bike shop to see if they have a part I need before ordering it online
>guy tells me they don't have the part
>says he can order part for me
>I say I might as well order it myself if I have to wait
>proceeds to show me part on the computer anyways
>not only is it the wrong part, it is also 3x more expensive
>tell him such
>he tells me the part I want doesn't exist
>tell him it's on amazon
>NOPE NOPE NOPE WRONG NOPE
>keeps insisting he's showing me the correct part and wants to order it for me
>finally just walk out as he's talking
>buy part I was looking for online
>works great
>>
>>1085825
this
>>
>order bike from shop
>they take payment and say it will take 2 weeks tops
>two weeks later, still no bike
>manufacturer calls me and says they refuse to ship to local bike shop
>manufacturer and lbs have shitty relationship
>lbs sold me bike even though they weren't going to be able to get it
>>
Not really although I'm kinda lucky in that aspect
>been going to the same place since it was basically just the owner in a room full of bike parts and a counter
>talk to him every time we walk in
> few years later he moves to a better location and starts and still go they every so often
>brother starts working there in the summers
>dad becomes friends with the owner and they cut out I deal where my dad who's a carpenter will work on the owners house a lower rate in exchange for a pretty good MTB

Now every time I go in there I can always get a tune up on the derailleurs, get the wheels in true, and brake adjustments for free and a small discount on some bike parts
>>
>>1085817
>Has anyone else been burned by a bike shop?

I was extremely busy with work and a newborn baby and paid a hipster bike shop in Philly to cable and wrap my bike up

They wrapped the bars like dog shit, I walked in and it looked like a teenage girl was doing the job while deep in conversation with other mechanics

The Problem Solvers travel agents on the bike were apparently too confusing for them, and they set my short-pull brake levers to short-pull my V-brakes

Cost was $85 and I redid most of their work

I never went to a bike shop again after that, except to buy a helmet that I needed to try in-person

If your standards aren't super-high and you know enough, you don't even need a bike shop to find a frame you'll like.

If you happen to live near a GOOD bike shop, cherish it. I haven't had the pleasure. A bike co-op is a another great option

I think Breakaway Bikes in Philly has a good reputation though, I would have gone there if it wasn't across town.
>>
>>1085817

time to go 1x OP lol
>>
File: 1492021639238.png (461KB, 565x486px) Image search: [Google]
1492021639238.png
461KB, 565x486px
>mfw I buy everything from Decathlon and repair my stuff because I love the hobby.
>>
>>1085817
>Be in between sizes
>"It's better to pick the bigger size anon"
>>
>>1085982
It's just like cars, man. Hardly anybody knows how to fix everything in a car, so you trust the shop. Ya there's crooked shops, but you find one that's good to you. Except in this case I only have 1 option of where to get shit fixed.

I'm not at fault here.
>>
>>1085965
>it looked like a teenage girl was doing the job while deep in conversation with other mechanics
what else would you expect
seriously, for anything other than major service, there's reason not to do it yourself
in the time it takes to correct shoddy work, you could have done it yourself twice
>>
>>1085984
>It's just like cars, man
not really
working on modern cars requires thousands of dollars of specialized equipment and a garage
even stuff that used to be simple like an oil filter replacement now requires connecting to the obd2 computer for some cars
the service manuals for most cars cost a fortune
many manufacturers will only sell parts to certified mechanics
you need quite a bit of training to do a lot of that work, and if you fuck up it'll cost you thousands

bikes can be almost completely stripped down and rebuilt in your living room
almost every part uses standard tools
the only specialized tools are things like lockring spanners which cost like $5
>>
>buy retailer exclusive bike in store
>return one year later to have the brake pads replaced, literally nothing else
>wait one week
>decide to go check on them, see what is taking so much time
>they have my bike up in the mechanics rack, and have removed the pads
>they tell me I'll have to go buy the new pads from (rival bike shop), because they ran out of the right type of pad
>I do this
>turns out I bought the wrong pads
>I say fuck them and take my bike to the (rival bike shop) instead
>they fix the bike the same afternoon

Just wow. Some shops really are the spawn of satan.
>>
>>1085998
It's just like cars on a smaller and cheaper scale
>>
>>1088292
>needing a bike store to replace pads

Begone, Fred!
>>
>go to bike shop
>ask if they have any long stem tubes for my 50 mm rims
>"FIFTY MILLIMETERS? WHAT?"
>he gives me this weird look
>I just turn around and leave
>order some online for $2
>>
>>1088303
this what the fuck man
literally less than 5 minutes to do this holy shit>>1088299
>>
My LBS is awesome.

Only bad experience, I had a new fork installed and they managed to scratch a stanchion.
>>
I got a new wheelset and they told me it'd take two weeks to get them, which I was cool with because I was having surgery anyway. There was a dick workers strike in Seattle and my wheels didn't get there until 4 weeks. I was totally cool with it since by that time it wasn't winter anymore and my stitches had stopped leaking and I could ride again.

My local shop is run by the same guy who opened it 40 odd years ago, he used to race on Raleigh's so I can always get parts for my old 10 speed.

Yeah, I'm lucky with my bike shop.
>>
>>1085840
Dyingggg
>>
>>1085840
>work at lbs
>v brake piece is bent out of shape
>tell customer I can bend it back with a pliers, but there is a chance it will break
>ask if he wants me to do it anyway, and accepts responsibility if it breaks
>he says yes
>I bend it back into place and fix it
>he thanks me
>do this for customers a few times
>nothing bad happened
>if it did break idgaf cause I made them agree to take responsibility before I tried
>>
>>1085910
>bullies you into paying for repairs
>not just saying "fuck you" and walking out and going on sheldonbrown.com and doing it yourself
you deserved it
>>1085925
Talk to a frame builder, they may be able to fix it. A lot of frame builders only do steel though so it might be hard to find one who does alu
>>1085935
lol nice
What part was it? And what did he try to sell you?
>>
>>1088292
>not replacing your pads yourself
>>
>>1088305
Where the fuck do you buy tubes for two dollars?
>>1088314
What happened to you no longer being a tripfag? In the jersey thread you said you don't trip anymore and were just proving your identity. And by the way, you're still a fucking liar and did not take those pictures. Faggot.
>>
>>1088399
>>1088303
The truth is I'm working at (rival bike store) from the story, and overheard a miserable customer first telling us this, and then being very surprised and happy as we fix it right away.
>>
>>1088320
I work at a seattle shop, what place you talking about?
>>
File: 1499326046562.jpg (149KB, 870x660px) Image search: [Google]
1499326046562.jpg
149KB, 870x660px
Bike shops are shit tier. Literally worse than any car mechanic.
I wonder why it's always bike shops that have the worst service and the scammiest practices.
I'd never let my bike near a "proffessional" again.
>>
>>1088463
Because bike shops undercharge for labor and overcharge for parts because their average customer is too stupid to pump a tire. If you can only get peanuts for your mechanical work, why should you hire anything but retards?
>>
File: you could have stopped it.gif (829KB, 150x250px) Image search: [Google]
you could have stopped it.gif
829KB, 150x250px
>buy new mountainbike at (once) reputable shop
>take delivery
>stem is noticably misaligned
>no big deal, it happens
>fast forward a few months
>decide to take it in for free service
>was supposed to be notified after a day or two
>over a week later i still heard nothing
>they didnt even bother notifying me
>next day
>go for a ride
>do a little hop
>rear wheel literally falls out because apparently tightening a QR skewer is too fucking mentally taxing
>completely bent the rear fucking wheel
>ended up doing some weird shit to not kill myself and front wheel also bent

They fixed it for free, but that's the last time anybody but me is doing service on my fucking bikes.
>>
>>1088400

If you want my autograph, just ask.
>>
>>1088400
http://www.wiggle.com/lifeline-road-inner-tube/
>>
>>1088463
Because car repair requires a second mortgage worth of snap on tools, lifts and dtc scanners.

And bike repair requires....like $200 in tools and a business license. You're getting McDonalds tier service because you're getting people that ride a bike to McDonalds running these businesses and they discovered the average American will pay $75 for new brakes and tubes for a Walmart bike
>>
File: pro.jpg (34KB, 477x415px) Image search: [Google]
pro.jpg
34KB, 477x415px
Refused to sell me tools I asked for, by name, because they, quote, "Just [didn't] think you can do it, kid".
>>
>>1088497
>selling your business model
>>
>>1088498
Then they don't care about retaining customers.
I wasn't buying tire levers; so they would have made more than they would on a normal customer, and if they had any sense in their head, they would have known condescending to your customers makes them fuck off and never come back.
>>
>>1088501
reminds me of bicycle warhouse where they were lecturing this asian guy that headsets and bottom brackets are a "professional only" thing to do.

and dude was taking the bait so hard.

telling him he needed a bearing press for an integrated headset and shit

all this while i was finger fucking a Di2 dura ace groupset trying to break it to see if it was durable or not
>>
Had a friend who wanted his bike repaired for some minor issue.

The man from the bike shop then replaced a shit ton on it and held the bike hostage.

Last time I went to a "professional" I wanted a new chain for my recumbent + chain tensioner.
It was too "complicated".

Ultimately bought a chain tensioner and 3 separate chains myself.
It's literally the same as with a normal bike, except you have to couple 3 chains together and put them through Teflon tubes.

I guess it did serve me right for being a bent faggot.
>>
Bike shops are dumb, buy online and let them die out. Grumpy little bitches.
>>
>>1089139
your a fag
>>
>>1088547
It's because there is no certificate to be a bike mechanic

But you need an ASE cert to get a job anywhere as a mechanic + apprentice or work as a lube tech or shadow an ase master tech and work under him
>>
>>1089160
>But you need an ASE cert to get a job anywhere as a mechanic
Wrong
>>
File: 1485623172227.jpg (207KB, 692x960px) Image search: [Google]
1485623172227.jpg
207KB, 692x960px
The only thing you should use bike shops for is wheels truing, literally everything else can be done with no bike specific equipement. I have a local guy who does repairs (not a store, just a bike mechanic). Equivalent of 6$ for perfectly trued wheels, done in an hour if you call earlier.

Sometimes I have to buy something in a bike store if I don't want to wait for delivery, but overhearing them trying to manipulate (sadly, successfully) 40y old freds who have never sat on a road bike before into buying 6000$ road bikes just makes my blood boil.
>>
>>1088397

>all these sales missed out on

Sell them new brakes.
>>
my lbs is cheap and very good. i bring him parts he tells me I need and he keeps my bike running in excellent condition
>>
i turned in my bike for regular service twice every year and after every fall. they did an okay job nonproblems there. but when i sold my bike it's proce was the same as if a mechanic never saw it it never got serviced or even looked at.

waste of fucking money! do your own service.
>>
>>1085840
when applying to a bike shop, think it would be better to apply in person? the online thing is asking for references but i got none.... the place is a huge sports chain, MEC
>>
>>1089324
No get your mom to walk in with you for the greatest chance
>>
>>1090467
This ironically will increase your chances of getting employed since they'll see you as some kind of diversity hire.
>>
>>1089191
Lube techs aren't mechanics.

The only thing they can touch is the drain plug and dipstick.
>>
>>1089196
My lbs doesn't true wheels, they just offer to "special order " you a new set.

Aka go on nashbar and add 20% to the purchase price
>>
>>1089196
Fred.

I spent 10 dollars on a spike wrench and redished my back wheel last summer.
>>
>>1090552
You will get shit uneven tension if you are using a wrench only and haven't trued a million wheels before. 3 hrs of my time is worth more than 6$. I generally love doing every other thing around my bike, but sitting around and turning the fucking spokes for what seems like an eternity is just not my thing.
>>
>>1089196
>Squeeze the saddle

>Pull on brake lever

>Steer back and forth

>Looks good I guess I'll take it

>Credit card
>>
>>1090559
Where can you get a wheel trued for $6, it costs like $15 minimum where I live and why would it take anymore than 45 minutes max as an amateur?
>>
>>1090648
I live in Europe, maybe it's more expensive in America or something. If you can do truing well by yourself, good for you. The point I was making was that truing in a bike shop is worth the buck, anything other than that can be done by any non-retarded person after a simple google search and using tools pretty much everyone has laying around.
>>
>>1090544
wtf LBS is that?
>>
>>1085825
That shitty fuck-the-customer attitude is the reason you're going to be making frappacchinos down at Starbucks in six months time when your brick and mortar boutique shutters.
>>
>>1090542
Wrong. ASE is not required anywhere, it is not a licensing body for mechanics.
>>
>>1089196
literally everything else can be done with no bike specific equipement
good luck taking a cassette off without a cassette tool and chain whip freddo

but yeah the only time i've gone to a bike shop for repair was when i broke a spoke. find one with a good rep tho
>>
>>1089160
>But you need an ASE cert to get a job anywhere as a mechanic
At the bus garages I visited that worked on cut away buses they only needed a certain portion of their staff to be ASE. If you had the ASE certification you were golden and you could basically choose your shift where as the other mechanics they'd hire they would have to work 2nd shift to work on the buses.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.