[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be stupid to put a 3 speed internal hub and dropper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: s-l1000.jpg (186KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
186KB, 1000x750px
Would it be stupid to put a 3 speed internal hub and dropper post on a dirt jumper to use as a commuter and street trick bike, or genius?
>>
first of all, if you get this type of bike, you should not care what other people thinks, but if you do, it's not the bike for you, simple as that.
>>
>>1085036
normies would think is cool
>>
Sounds kind of fun, actually.

I don't know how practical it would be to get around though.
>>
good luck finding a 25.4 - 27.2 dropper post
>>
Better off just getting the longest post you can find and using a quick release collar, there's no need to have the quick and easier lowering of a dropper. If you can't get a long enough post you can get telescopic ones too.

As for the hub it may be hard to find a 3 speed that's the right width, has a disc mount, and is strong enough to handle the abuse. It's also not going to roll as well or have as quick a pick up as some of the high end freehubs with fine ratchets.

Good luck with your search though, it's not a stupid idea and could actually turn out quite neat.
>>
>>1085088
They make shims that come with dropper posts
>>
>>1085036
why not get a long post with a clutch derailleur? Until last year GT made a high end geared La Bomba DJ bike.
>>
inb4 dead IGH
>>
've been thinking about a dropper post on my dirt bike to aid with the barspins and suicides no handers

>lift seat
>pinch it good
>land
>drop ot

as for the gears you might not even need them,
>>
>>1085096
I would guess that his frame may not have wide enough dropouts nor a derailer hanger.
>>
>>1085095
Are you retarded or something? What type of shim lets a larger diameter tube fit into a smaller diameter tube? Fucking off yourself
>>
>>1086014
I think he means they make dropper posts that come with shims, i.e 25.4mm posts that are shimmed to 30.6/31.8mm/etc. I've seen a couple of cheaper posts like that, the type that use coil springs and pins to lock the post.
>>
I put a dropper on my old 4X bike so I could pedal it around and use it as a fun trail bike. It was aluminium so it took a larger seatpost diameter than most steel bikes. I'm pretty sure Thomson might do one that might fit, pricy though.
>>
>>1085036
If you like that kind of riding it would be perfect. The best commuting bike for you is the one you enjoy the most. Doesn't matter how efficient or fast it is. All that matters is that it must be safe and you enjoy it.
Please post pics if you install those parts, it looks pretty awesome.
>>
>>1085036
i want a dj bike because they look fun as shit to whip around, but there aren't any actual jumps anywhere near where i am.
>>
File: 15UPTOWNMAXMAXWH_2000.jpg (587KB, 2000x1177px) Image search: [Google]
15UPTOWNMAXMAXWH_2000.jpg
587KB, 2000x1177px
I
>>
File: pc032548_blowup.jpg (65KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pc032548_blowup.jpg
65KB, 1024x768px
>>1085036

It would probably be easier to hand a derailleur on it if your rear hub is the kind that can take more than one gear

Here is a BMX someone made for their daughter

http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-components/drivetrain/adding-gears-to-a-single-speed-bmx

pic: Here is a shimano DX with room for 3 or 4 gears depending on what size cassette you choose to dissect

Rear derailleur hanger option mentioned on the faqload site
>>
>>1086687
>sure seems like a fuckload of trouble though considering the kid will probably outgrow that bike in a few months anyway.

The guy seems to have $$$ and is an obsessive. Besides modding he's dropping money on anodized bits and shit like that. The site is great
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.