[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bike commuting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: bike_stock.jpg (311KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
bike_stock.jpg
311KB, 1024x683px
I live in a shitty suburb with little biking infrastructure, but I'd like to start commuting by bike at least some of the time. Work is 9 miles away, so it's a bit long but doable.
Most of the way there is a bike path or I can cut through residential areas, but I'll have to go about .75 miles on a four lane road with a 45 mph speed limit and no shoulder or sidewalk. Any advice how to do this safely? People tend to speed around here and aren't used to bikes so I'm a bit worried.
pic hopefully unrelated
>>
>>1085014
You either do it or you don't do it. The thing you should not do is do it and be nervous and shaky the entire time you're riding on a public road. Nervous shaky unconfident people get in accidents. You have to not give a fuck about the traffic, ride as safely as you can, and otherwise ignore the cars. Don't do anything stupid, don't make sudden moves, don't swerve around, hold your line like you're supposed to. If there's a line painted on the street indicating where the traffic lane ends and the paved shoulder begins, you stay to the RIGHT of that line (or the LEFT, if you're in a country where they drive on the left side of the road). Three quarters of a mile is NOTHING. I ride in the middle of nowhere for miles and miles all the time, where there is in essence no speed limit at all, have been doing it for years, and I'm still alive and have all my original bodyparts, so I think you'll be just fine -- so long as you're not a Nervous Nelly the whole time. To reiterate what I said above: If you're going to be all nervous and shaky the whole time, then don't do it at all. Lack of confidence will get you killed as fast as anything else.
>>
>>1085014
>but I'll have to go about .75 miles on a four lane road with a 45 mph speed limit and no shoulder or sidewalk. Any advice how to do this safely?
Pick a different path
>>
There's plenty of advice but I think the key ones are:
1. Visibility.
2. Intention of action.

Get some high-vis gear and some lights for dim weather (like the mornings). You can never be too well lit-up.

Intention of action: Make it clear to drivers what you are doing. Indicating, looking, and try and make eye contact with drivers at junctions.

You can find more advice online.

As for your path- 4 lane road... 45mph speed limit... Find another way. Seriously.
>>
>>1085098
A lot of suburbs are designed so that 2-lane roads feed into 4 lane or 6 lane. It's hard to find anything resembling a straight line path. I only ride on 2 lane and really empty 4 lane roads at certain times of day. I never ride in heavy traffic.
>>
>>1085014
go in the middle of the rightmost lane
cars still have 3 lanes they will manage there will be no close passes hopefully and make sure you have a strong light backwards.
>>
>>1085098
>>1085097
Unfortunately there's not many ways to get to this part of town. It's either a 60 mph 6 lane highway, a 4 lane 45 mph road, or a 2 lane 45 mph road. I figure I'll be best off on the four lane one since I can ride on the right and there'll be more room to pass me. And it's worth mentioning that by four lane I mean two lanes on each side, not four one each.

>>1085094
Thanks anon, this makes me feel better. I think I'm gonna try on a Sunday morning first to get used to things when traffic is light.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.