[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bike laws, opinions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1451517569961.jpg (42KB, 640x491px) Image search: [Google]
1451517569961.jpg
42KB, 640x491px
Yo, lycrafags
>the italian government has ruled that e-bikes shall be ONLY pedal assist, MAXIMUM 0.25kw and have a 25km/h speed governor on the assist
>anything with more power or a throttle shall be effectively considered a motorbike and be held to the same requirements (plate, license, insurance and proper helmet)
I am 100% in favour of this, especially having seen mtbs capable of 70km/h, which is mental
It has however caused a lot of whinging from local bikers... What do you think?
>>
So I'm a motor vehicle in italy?
>>
>>1084854
Those are exactly the same as here in the UK and a lot of other places too. Some countries up the power limit and maybe speed limit a bit but few increase it a lot, I think Canada is one with something like a 1000w limit.

Personally I feel that 250w isn't really enough except on flat ground which fairly light riders and bikes. I'd like to see it raised to 500w for easier hill climbing and faster acceleration (less pissed off cagers suck behind slow cyclists) and increase the assistance limit to 28-30km/h (500w would probably get you past the 25km/h limit on a lot of climbs so it'd cut in and out).

I ride a ~700w bike and either remove the limit entirely or put it at about 26km/h so if I'm pulled over I can spin the pedals and the popo can see that I'm complying. I also have pedal assist power limited to around the 250w mark (again to comply, plus it's enough on flat ground) but I have a throttle that will use full power if I need it for climbing or accelerating.
>>
Increase maximum power to around 1 kW and maximum pedal assist speed to 30 km/h and I'm happy. That would make e-cargobikes a valid option for moving around stuff in cities. On the other hand having a higher maximum power for normal e-bikes won't do anything as long as their max pedal assist speed is capped to 30 km/h.

What e-bikes really need is the 30 km/h pedal assist to make them great option for transportation within cities.
>>
Isn't that an EU directive?
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX%3A32002L0024
>>
>>1084857
If you can pedal autonomously to more than 25km/h nope
The opposite is also true, any motor vehicle that cannot break 25km/h is not bound by law
>>1084862
>>1084867
Why not just get a moped license?
If you have a car license you get one free and you're allowed up to 11kw, whatever the form (1,2,3 or 4 wheels) or propulsion

Here in Italy you can get one at 14 with a week of safety classes or a 20 question exam

What i want to convey is that if you want to share the road you should share the laws: identification via plate, mandatory insurance and a valid license
>>
>>1084867
I'm the poster above you. In addition to want I'd like I'd also like to see a separate higher power limit for cargo bikes. Not really sure how that would work when it comes to laws as you'd need some way to define a cargo bike.

>>1084869
That question keeps getting asked. Here in the UK a moped requires a licence, taxing, insurance, yearly MOT (a test to make sure it's road worthy), fuel, and maintence can be more expensive than an e-bike. My e-bike cost me about £800, I could probably get a half decent moped for about that but everything else is going to double or triple the cost. Also e-bikes can be ridden places that mopeds can't.
>>
>>1084874
That's the deal tho
You should not be allowed to go 50 on a bike path or sidewalk
You should not use the road without paying road tax and being properly insured
>>
>>1084869
As anon already said. Moped requires insurance, taxes, license, etc. E-bike doesn't. The 25 km/h e-bikes can't go fast enough to survive in city traffic. 30 km/h pedal assist limit would make them much more usable in cities because they could keep up with traffic in 30 km/h limited zones which would make it safer for everyone.

>>1084877
No one is ask g to go 50. 30 km/h is already the speed limit in many cities where I live. If the e-bikes could keep up with that it would make it safer for everyone. Anything faster than that and stick a plate on it.

>road tax
Wew lad.
>>
>>1084877
>You should not be allowed to go 50 on a bike path or sidewalk
Where did I mention 50km/h? I'm well in favour of a lower limit of around 30km/h, even 25km/h doesn't bother me but it doesn't work so well for climbing.

>You should not use the road without paying road tax and being properly insured
There's no such thing as road tax, at least here. Roads are paid for with general taxation which everyone pays regardless of whether the drive or not. Cyclists on non-assisted bikes don't pay vehicle excise tax (what many people mistakenly call road tax) or need insurance so e-bike users shouldn't either,
>>
>>1084877
>You should not be allowed to go 50 on a bike path or sidewalk
Then they should put up a sign. I'll even go over 50 in the city when I can, the law says that's fine.
Bikes cause negligible damage to roads so they shouldn't pay like heavier vehicles.
>>
>>1084854
In germany you are allowed to have the same type of E-bike without a licence as well.
If you have a moped licence (25km/h) (or any other licence actualy) wich can be get at the age of 15 you can drive ones that boost up to 45km/h and 3000W if I remember correctly with a moped licence plate and inshurance, that costs 50€/year.
>>
not related to OP, but can I get a rack to carry a bike on a scooter or motorcycle?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.