[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good Transportation Bikes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: Bike.jpg (279KB, 750x477px) Image search: [Google]
Bike.jpg
279KB, 750x477px
I completely ignorant in the world of transportation. Could someone help me out with what I need in a bike?
I'm looking for a healthier option to get me from point a to point b

good space to carry things like pic attached

and something that won't make my unhealthy ass die whilst pedaling. (Good gears or some shit? Idk again i'm 110% ignorant)
>>
>>1084153
Any help with good brands or certain terms for the type of bike that i'm looking for would be great!
>>
look for commuter bikes!
>>
>>1084153
go to a proper bike store and tell them what you're looking for, the kind of riding you'll be doing - they'll point you in the right direction and let you test ride some bikes.
DON"T go to your local discount or big box store and just buy whatever they have on sale.
As above, commuter or hybrid bike is likely what you're after; either of these can be fitted with racks, will have a decent range of gears, be comfortable etc...
>>
>>1084153

That basket will suck. Any amount of weight in it will suck

Carrying shit on a bike is an art form. Rear panniers are the easy option. But you probably wanna carry too much shit so you're doomed unless you got $$$ and /n/ to help you

Give us details. What can you spend? What will your carry?
>>
>>1084201
I can spend probably a max of 300 rn
I probably won't carry more than the like 10 pounds i'd guess
>>
>>1084197
how much should a decent bike from a decent bike store cost?
>>
>>1084153
For A-B transportation you probably want one of these:

>Hybrid (700c wheels)
>Mountain bike (26", 27.5", 29" which is 700c wheel size)

Avoid:
>drop bars (unless you are used to road bikes)
>rear suspension on MTB (too much weight, cost, and cheap ones really suck)
>True "fat bikes" (4+ inch tires are really slow and only useful in certain situations.)

The commuting ability of mountain bikes can be enhanced by using slick tires. My mountain bike could even use 28mm road tires if I wanted to go that narrow. Disc brake bikes do not have the eyelets to attach a rack/fenders but you can find compatible racks on Amazon.

Disc brakes and caliper brakes are both awesome for commuting. If you like single speed (or 3 speed), the coaster brake is also an option but it only stops the back wheel so it's not as fast as front/back braking.
>>
>>1084153
>good space to carry things like pic attached

say no more fąm
>>
File: 27273418291_1ef3ba981d_k.jpg (646KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
27273418291_1ef3ba981d_k.jpg
646KB, 2048x1536px
>>1084201
Yeah, that particular basket sucks, but I have a real soft spot for porteur racks. Panniers are great for touring, but you can't beat a front rack for convenience. The large platform is great for bungie-ing random shit to the bike if needed, and because it's in front of you, you can see if the load is shifting. A lot more space for ordinary stuff like grocery bags, too.

If you plan on riding long distances with a large front load, you'll want a bike with steering geo designed for the load, but for riding around town, any bike should be fine. I have a front rack on a rigid MTB with 83mm of steering trail, and it rides OK even with a heavy load of beer on the front.

>>1084238
awwww yisssss. motha. fuckin. WHEELBASE.
>>
700C or whatever you want to call it, commuter bikes are pretty good for getting from A to B. They are a good balance for a beginner, and not too fragile like some road bikes. I bought one, then my friend bought one after having a low end mountain bike before, and now our rides are pretty standard enjoyment. As with many things in life, the more complicated the bike, the more time you'll spend maintaining it, so honestly I would avoid fancy things like hydraulic brakes, or electronic shifting. The goal should be a simple, "instead of walking I'm riding my bike" not, "we need to land this thing on the moon in t minus 15.78975 earth seconds".
>>
>>1084244
Looking back, I actually wish I had got the cheaper model of my bicycle as it would have been less maintenance, and more riding.
>>
Your price range is scraping the bottom of the barrel OP. You'll probably only have one or two choices in your price range at any given store anyways. It's worth taking a look at your used market.

>>1084231
Drops, as in rando or touring bikes are perfectly fine for OP's use. They're just out of his price range, by a factor of 4.
>>
>>1084197
This is pretty decent advice
>>1084231
This guy is an idiot, ignore everything he said
>>1084249
Not if he buys used
>>
>>1084153
Where Do you live?
>>
>>1084208
post your local classifieds or at least your city and we'll have a look.
>>
>>1084249
>Drops, as in rando or touring bikes are perfectly fine for OP's use. They're just out of his price range, by a factor of 4.

Most newbies to bikes ride drop bars in a horrible hand position or even turn them upside down. I see it all the time and they are seriously at risk of losing control of their bike. You can't use flat bars incorrectly. Also older bikes with drop bars have downtube shifters, which are really unfriendly to inexperienced riders. An 80s mountain bike would be a lot easier to shift.
>>
>>1084981
I should specify that not necessarily flat bars are the only good choice: riser, North Road style bars, etc. are probably more common on commuter bikes and just as good. A 100% upright position (like sitting in a chair) on a cruiser or comfort bike isn't great for serious pedaling and if you want to go fast it gets kind of awkward. The slightly leaning forward position on a mountain bike works well for me. Some commuter bikes are a little more upright than that, but are still good. Being somewhat upright makes it easier to look around in traffic. Drop bar bikes are still fun, but they're not ideal commuters especially if you're not used to the hand positions or have back problems.

>>1084438
I second this anon, we need some bikes to look at and recommend so you can get a good deal.
>>
Milk crate
>>
Not OP but am basically in the same situation.

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bik/6200526322.html

Would this be a decent commuting bike?
>>
Got this Batavus Personal Bike Plus recently and absolutely love it. It sits upright and peddles smoothly despite being on the heavy side. It doesn't have gears but that is what makes it appealing, it's a steel reliable bike that doesn't need much maintenance.
>>
>>1086876
Sounds like something a little more my style.
>>
>>1087885
It was only 520 Euro new. Great deal for if you also use it as regular citybike.
>>
>>1084153
What you need is a fat bike from kmart
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.