[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why no WD40?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: product_mup_straw_up.png (50KB, 699x770px) Image search: [Google]
product_mup_straw_up.png
50KB, 699x770px
Why people hate WD40 as a lubricant for the chain ?
>>
It evaporates too quickly
>>
>>1083178
Because chain lubricant is the best product for the application.

wd40 is more of a flushing tool to remove particulate or used as a fogger for prepping of long term motor storage.
>>
White
Dithium
4rease
>>
>>1083182
ty
>>
File: Screenshot_4.png (327KB, 1088x829px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_4.png
327KB, 1088x829px
how often should i be lubricating my chain with traditional lube? how much less than i would if i used wd-40?
>>
File: WD40_Bike-Family.jpg (129KB, 980x670px) Image search: [Google]
WD40_Bike-Family.jpg
129KB, 980x670px
>>1083178

There is a meme on bikeforums that it is bad. I'm not sure if that's true but I think that's an epicenter of the anti-WD40 crowd. I believed it and did not use it

But now WD-40 has a line of bike products. So maybe WD-40 wasn't the best thing to spray on your chain, at least
>>
>>1083178
it fucks up your chain actually
its worse than not doing anything. It effectively strips away all the other lubricant on your chain, leaves it dry, and you're left with glorious metal on metal, grinding away.
>>1083208
Depends how much you ride, how frequently, where, and weather. If you ride on weekends casually on roads on weekends, maybe a few times a year. If you're mountain biking in the rain every day, you're cleaning and lubricating your chain a few times a week ideally.
>>
>>1083178
Because original WD40 was developed as a water displacer & penetrating solvent and was never formulated to lubricate. The use of it as a lubricant was always a meme.
>>
>>1083178
It's good for cleaning chains but it lacks lubrication. You'll need oil after a cleaning of wd40. I prefer break cleaner, then a good oiling.
>>
>>1083208
>how often should i be lubricating my chain with traditional lube?
Depends mostly on riding conditions. Wet weather riders need to lube more. Dusty condition riders need to clean more, which means more lubrication.

If you can hear a difference, it's overdue.

>how much less than i would if i used wd-40?
If you were to use WD40, it would be before every single ride. But that's desperation time. Even general household hardware store oil is far superior.
>>
WD40 is great. For REMOVING lubricant.
>>
>>1083178
from wd40 website

Bike Friendly

Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product should not be used on bike chains.

Fact: While WD-40® Multi-Use Product it is not a grease, it is formulated with strong lubricating oils and other ingredients, and is a terrific product to use for bike maintenance. It does not attract dirt or moisture to metal surfaces – just be sure to wipe off any excess WD-40® Multi-Use Product before riding.

For long-term lubrication and other specialized bicycle maintenance needs, check out WD-40® BIKE. Developed specifically for cyclists and mechanics, this high-performance line of bicycle care products is sure to become a mainstay in the toolboxes of bike mechanics for decades.
>>
>>1083178
okay so Reading the WD40 website they claim:

>WD-40® does indeed have 50% mineral spirits

according to the MSDS Fact sheet that WD40 links to on their page:

the composition of aerosol can WD40 is as follows

Aliphatic Hydrocarbon
Petroleum Base Oil
LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon
------
reverse engineering it we can deduct that 50% by weight Aliphatic Hydrocarbon (and google brings us to) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit

so White spirit is 50% WD-40

25% is listed as Petroleum Base Oil, so basically motor oil.

toxnet number linked in MSDS comes up as: https://chem.nlm.nih.gov/chemidplus/rn/64742-56-9

idk what LVP hydrocarbons are but the CDC lists it as an odorless colorless lubricant.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html

with a petroleum base so it's not fish oil or silicon grease like most people claim.

makes up 18% of the product. the rest of the the indigents are just propellant for the can. c02 for press
>>
>>1083260
According to Performance bike the best selling bike specific chain lube is

Finish line DRY Teflon lube, 2 oz red label.

taking a look at the MSDS sheet for that we have:

Heptane, branched, cylic and linear
60-
426260-
76-

so Heptane 60-90% by weight.

and according to wikipedia the chemical uses for heptane generally:

Heptane (and its many isomers) is widely applied in laboratories as a non-polar solvent. As a liquid, it is ideal for transport and storage. In the grease spot test, heptane is used to dissolve an oil spot to show the previous presence of organic compounds on a stained paper.

------

so finishline dry lube is literally 90% solvent used to remove oil from a chain.
>>
>>1083261
The solvent evaporates, leaving behind the lesser volatile oil.

There's a reason you're famous for being retarded
>>
>>1083263
there isn't an oil listed in the MSDS sheet. where i'ts legally required. marketing is legally allowed to claim anything
>>
>>1083265
You're trying to claim that bike oil doesn't contain any oil.
>>
>>1083270
>>1083263
>replying to sieg
This is why he still comes here
>>
>>1083220
>The use of it as a lubricant was always a meme.
Really? IMO the notion of not using it as a lubricant is more of a meme, as evidenced by this thread. Also I only use WD40 on my bike chain (I ride at a fairly high level) and it works just fine.
>>
>not spraying wd-40 all over your cassette, chain, rear wheel, chainstay and chainrings
Shiggy as fuck
>>
>>1083344
>he doesn't WD40 his brake pads
>>
>>1083270
Sounds like it is actually Finishline making that claim.

To anyone here claiming WD40 is merely a solvent, feel free to spray some on a window pane or a glass table. It won't damage the glass, it will cost you .05c in WD40. Do it to prove that WD40 have only the power to dissolve, it'll only evaporate, no biggie.

The reason you won't is because you know you will have to clean your window if you do. It will not disappear on its own. It will be a bitch to get off. That's because WD40 contains oils which wets very well, indeed better than water. Hence WD.
>>
>>1083287
Sieg shitposts regardless of replies. Lurk more.
>>
>>1083288
>shitposting this badly
>>
>>1083359
>sees shitpost
>is annoyed
>shitposts
>>
I don't use teh '40 because I'm doubting that it has a good set of oil additives that help reduce wear and friction,inhibits corrosion/rust etc.

It's bretty good for cleaning steel frames as it cleans and then leaves a shiny look because of the tiiny amount of oil that is left after wiping it off with a rag
>>
>>1083178
WD40 is not a lubricant
>>
>>1083178
because its not a lubricant
>>
>>1083212
WD-40 is a code for what kind of lubricant it is. there's 10W40, etc.

if it's not good from a can it's not good from a bottle.
>>
>>1083412
Its also a brand name.
>>
>>1083178
It's too thin to make a proper chain lube.
Also don't ever use any water-based 'wax' chain lubes, they're also garbage. Getting water into any sort of bearing (like the roller bearings of a drivechain) is a sure way to shorten it's lifespan and ruin it quicker.
>>
>>1083449
The rollers are not roller bearings. Roller bearings are like vall bearings with cylindrical balls.
They're glide bearings, if you really torture even that definition.

When you can even get the basics right you might as well not share your misguided beliefs. Thank you.
T. The world
>>
>>1083261

Except you forgot that the SDS does not list substances which are not hazardous.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.