[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bike touring general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 79

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (400KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
400KB, 1920x1080px
I'm doing my first bike tour in a week, it will last for up to 1.5 months. This will be the most noteworthy thing I've ever done in my life. I've never travelled before so I'm a bit nervous. I just started riding recreationally last week. What advice can you give to me?
I will camp out in nature and wash myself and my clothes in lakes. I'm not sure how I'll this will happen so I'll practice a bit beforehand. I've read that dishwashing soap is the most multi-purpose soap, should I bring this instead of a detergent? What tools and spare parts for the bike should I bring with me? What clothes should I use?
>>
>>1082974
>I will camp out in nature and wash myself and my clothes in lakes. I'm not sure how I'll this will happen so I'll practice a bit beforehand. I've read that dishwashing soap is the most multi-purpose soap, should I bring this instead of a detergent? What tools and spare parts for the bike should I bring with me? What clothes should I use?

Your tour starts in a week and your plan is to wash your clothes in a lake? how are you going to dry them?
>>
My advice is to bring baby wipes for your ass and armpits and sleep in a hotel once in a while to shower and maybe go to a laundromat
>>
File: DSC_0048.jpg (734KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0048.jpg
734KB, 3264x1836px
Good luck OP my man it aint easy but its fucken rewarding.

Wilderness wash for soap.

Lets see your rig
>>
Hi /n/, in July I'm doing my first tour through eurovelo and i don't know what bike is more suitable. I currently have an old road bike and a 90s rigid mtb.
>>
File: DSC_0121.jpg (751KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0121.jpg
751KB, 3264x1836px
>>1082984
probably the mtb because the gears will be lower and the wheels are probably stronger (having a wider tire helps a lot). Busting a wheel is probably the most common thing to go really wrong.

Lots of old road bikes would be good though, it depends on a lot of stuff. Does it have eyelets on the frame/ fork for racks?
>>
>>1082986
Yes, i have a rear rack installed for commuting/errands on my road bike. Also, the surface is going to be asphalt.
>>
>>1082974
>I just started riding recreationally last week.

Your going to crash and burn before day 3, your ass, legs, wrists, neck and back is going to kill you and you'll either give up or do like 20 km a day, in pain.
>>
>>1082974
You should have trained way more for this and prepared more. Calling local bikeshops and mailing clothes/food/supplies to them for later pick up along your planed route is what I usually do and they never have a problem doing so for me.

Always have a pair of dry socks with you, wet feet kill. Have some type of powder for rashes, a bad rash can shut you down for days.

Your setting yourself up for failure DESU with your lack of training so nothing I say can really help, best of luck though m8ty
>>
>>1082983
More pics?
>>
>>1082974
You really need more time to prepare for this. You will not enjoy this trip, your body isn't ready for it. If you can, delay this a good month for your body to get used to cycling. And that's pushing it a little.
>>
>>1082974
Let's summarize, shall we?

>Just started riding LAST WEEK
>Is going alone
>Is going to travel for a month and a half
>Is going to camp out and wash up 'in nature'

Everyone who commmented before me? THIS IS BAIT, VERY OBVIOUS BAIT. Nobody who has enough intelligence to create a thread like this one is dumb enough to actually be serious about doing something so fucking dumb as this.

/sage
/thread
>>
>>1082983

The Aesthetic /n/ Tourer makes an appearance

I'm stilll planning on putting noodle bars on my bike like you told me to. They're hanging on the wall right now
>>
>>1083034

How about some real questions.

I have just started to ride after 2 years off after a car accident. I would like to get into touring; I have a mountain biking background but I never really road longer than 30miles at a time. I did a century once, but that was a literal pain in the ass. Right now I plan on starting out with the dc to pittsburg w&od gap tour planned for late september. I am going from basically 0 to that, but I don't have a time crunch to do it so I can take my time if need be. You think that is enough time to get into the necessary condition? Any advice or training tips?
>>
>>1083068
Train your ass and your legs.
>>
>>1083068

* Pain in the ass = get a Selle Anatomica. It's worth the money

* You don't need to be in shape to do a long ride if you go slow. gap tour is relatively flat and you can walk the bike if you don't have it in you on a hill

* You'll want the fattest tires your frame + rims can handle. That trip has loose gravel so you'll probably want some tread or at least very fat, low-pressure tires

* My advice is go on long, fun rides and tune your bike fit perfectly.

* Also spend that time cutting unnecessary shit from your panniers.
>>
>>1083158
>>1083068

Here's what you're up against. The 25 miles of major elevation on that ride might be your biggest hurdle. Plan for a rest day before that if you feel out of shape?
>>
File: e6BrYw4.jpg (563KB, 3050x1504px) Image search: [Google]
e6BrYw4.jpg
563KB, 3050x1504px
Going to save for a Velo Orange Campeur, looks like a decent frame.

Can't wait to get cycle touring, love doing long distances, the freedom you feel is amazing and you see so much.
>>
File: IMG_5082.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5082.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Hey /n/ rate my touring bike lol
>>
File: DSC_0113.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0113.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1083397
i like quill stems as much as the next guy but cmon now
>>
Op here. I've always ridden a bike for local transportation. I've been doing a short 4km commute daily for a year. What I meant by "recreationally" was riding as a hobby. I started doing that 2 weeks ago but I've already went on some long rides. For instance I rode 200km yesterday, so I'm getting a bit accustomed to long riding by now. The bike fits fine but I'm getting some tingling in my fingers after a couple of hours. Maybe I should get bike gloves or maybe I'll get accustomed to it.

But anyway, I'm heading out soon so I'd just like some pointers to reduce my chances of fucking up.
>>
>>1083666
With finger tingling, change your hand positions regularly.
>>
File: RRED_Se7TRS-sw-il.jpg (43KB, 1024x570px) Image search: [Google]
RRED_Se7TRS-sw-il.jpg
43KB, 1024x570px
I know it's not ideal , but could I get away with 33mm triggersport pro tubless tyres for gravel touring with the occasional singletrack ?

I'm currently running schwalbe g one 30mm and I feel like they can handle a lot.

I might be able to ge 35mm tires in the frame, should that be a consideration ?
I wouldn't have much in the way of mud clearance this way but I'm planning to go in the summer months anyway
>>
File: which should I get.png (528KB, 1810x460px) Image search: [Google]
which should I get.png
528KB, 1810x460px
Guys need some advice on touring bike selection.
I'm choosing between Marin Four Corners, Marin Pine Mountain & a Fuji Touring bike.

Which should I go with?
>>
>>1083693
I'd go for the fuji. The japs don't fuck around.
>>
>>1083694
Thanks, will get the Fuji then
>>
>>1083698
Oh keep in mind that my advice is worthless before you purchase. I just said which one I'd get, but I'm not an expert or anything.
>>
>>1083693

I#d get the four corners.
the pine mountain is great but you probably really won't need the + tires

I'd look at the specs between the fuji and the fourcorners.

I prefer the modern stylings of the four corners.
>>
>>1083701

also just noticed tha the fuji comes with rim brakes.

i'd deffinitly get the four corners.
you want to keep this thing a while , better check as many modern standarts as you can.

discs also allow for great flexibility when it comes to wheel/tire setups.

you cold swap for some fatter 650b wheels with out problems and ride stuff you could never with the fuji.
>>
>>1083703
I can see that is also true, four corners + 650lb wheels sounds great too

I'll have to check on these bikes some time next week & get a test ride.

Maybe will update here too if the thread is still alive
>>
>>1083403
sick
>>
Best place in the world to tour for gravel roads in mountaineus areas?

Thinking about going to the italian dolomites and then west to slovenia and then continue south to croatia and bosnia although after slovenia there won't be much gravel
>>
File: 1432999_2017_A_1_920.jpg (366KB, 3000x2454px) Image search: [Google]
1432999_2017_A_1_920.jpg
366KB, 3000x2454px
Is this bike a meme or should I get it?
Looking for a similar bike in the price range 1500-2000€ for touring in Scandinavia and commuting in my cobblestone filled city
>>
>>1083755

I looked at this when I was looking for my new commuter and it seemed pretty neat except for the stupid ass bar-end shifters and weight.

Eventually went for something cheaper/lighter as I was never going to be doing more commuting and maybe a bit of short-distance cycle-camping trips
>>
>>1082974
hand soap, if you use dishwashing soap to wash yourself, i will fucking slap you silly
>>
>>1083693
+1 on Fuji Touring!
>>
File: IMG_20160716_094511.jpg (175KB, 804x748px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160716_094511.jpg
175KB, 804x748px
I did a super chill shakedown tour through CO last summer.

Estes Park -> Ned -> Idaho Springs -> Loveland Pass -> Frisco

I went anywhere from 6 - 26 miles in a day depending on the elevation, and after the first few days of adapting to the riding, I got better at it and would ride further, faster, and longer.

There was a lot of elevation gain and I didn't have ultralight anything: so like a two man tent, a Coleman stove from Walmart (one of the ones that screws onto the top of the pressurized fuel bottle), Steel Frame Surly LHT, vinyl poncho, and WAY too much food, so I had to push it up some of the mountains, especially when I was bonked and running off of ketogenesis, but the camping was super comfy. I guess my point is don't have an inflexible itinerary and egress plan.

I used a steel coffee cup as my cooking pot and cup.

I used a gravity fed inline water filter. It ran really slowly and was actually a major source of my delays. I would stop and camp at a stream rather than going forward so I could spend the afternoons filtering water. I think I am going to add a "rock catcher" filter and a squeeze bulb pump to my system.

Couscous + olive oil was a great, great, great dinner

instant coffee + powdered milk was great

mix granola and powdered milk, add water for brekkies.

snacks were whatever, pb-cheese crackers were a fav.

I didn't carry meat with me, because it attracts bears more than other food, but I ate pizza wherever I could.

For soap, I used "Camp Suds"

I used a couple Fdroid offline GPS mapping apps to keep track of where I was, my elevation, etc.

I have a couple of bibs from Merlin cycles. For some reason they are much cheaper than any other options.

Since then, all I got new was a new tent, because my other tent was old and barely kept me dry enough when some storms came through. I will probably also upgrade the rack and rear panniers before heading out again.
>>
>>1083800
basically this route.
>>
take a nice candle
>>
File: IMG_0879.jpg (718KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0879.jpg
718KB, 1500x1000px
Planning on a short tour and several S24O/weekend outings this coming summer. Got the bike mostly situated and working on weight distribution. Took it for a quick shakedown cruise today and seems pretty decent.

Short tour is looking to be about 750km over the course of a week in August, mostly stealth/free camping along the way. Should be fun.
>>
>>1083800
Any more pics? It's beautiful
>>
Gonna have to go out for a decently long adventure between July 1 and July 4. I had a great time over spring break and a couple other weekend trips this spring. Sadly, no more multi-month trips for the time being.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghlIm2bsKYM
>>
>>1084107
>touring
>with no luggage at all
>>
File: IMG_8677.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8677.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>>1083750
Romania has tons of mountains AND shit roads if that's your thing m8.

You'd have to be a fool to miss out on the Transalpina though, which is completely paved.
>>
whats the best touring bike under 2000 dollaroos?
>>
>>1083987
wouldnt a kickstand be practical
>>
>>1084310
no
>>
>>1084308
a used one
>>
>>1084162
backpack
>>
>>1084322
Are you retarded or just stupid?
>>
>>1084324
I use one
>>
>>1084325
Well then. Are you very retarded or just very stupid?
>>
>>1084357
My IQ is 140
>>
>>1084359
then you are retarded on purpose
>>
>>1084310
Marginally, but that's one more thing to acquire and install, and unless it's one of those beefy double leg kickstands, it's doubtful it'll be solid in holding it up. I'd rather lean it against something as pictured, or simply lay it down.
>>
File: IMG_4665.jpg (708KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4665.jpg
708KB, 2272x1704px
>>1084407
>unless it's one of those beefy double leg kickstands, it's doubtful it'll be solid in holding it up.

This is the dumbest excuse I've ever heard.
I've got a simple Hebie kickstand and it hasn't failed me once in 8 years.
>>
>>1084422
Really, it's mostly because I just don't care for kickstands. Also, having weight up front also makes a slight difference when it comes to using a kickstand. I've had some front loaded bikes have the front turn on it's own and have the bike promptly fall over.
>>
>>1083809
>120 MILES

Easy
>>
>>1084433
Eh, one long day or 2 short ones. Nothing wrong with weekend tours. I'm going to do this in the not-too-distant future. There are some nice places to camp around mile 30 and mile 90 CCW so it would be easy enough to leave after work on Friday and get back Saturday evening in either direction.

Or, if I'm feeling perky on a Saturday or Sunday morning I could just do the whole thing without carrying camping stuff.
>>
So I'm planning on doing the western half of the Transamerica Trail next spring, and was considering my options for charging my phone and camera.

I have been reading a lot about using a dynamo hub with an AC/DC USB adaptor and a chargeable battery, and it sounds like a great idea. They say that they only run at 5 or 6 volts where most phones run on 12v, but that they are still capable of trickle charge.

Does anybody actually have personal experience with this? How long it actually takes to charge a dead battery? It's either this or a solar charger, but it sounds like the trick with solar chargers is maintaining a good angle and having that horrible ball of misery that we call the sun out and about.
>>
>>1084498
I've looked into similar things, and my takeaway is that if you go the dynamo route, charge a battery, like any of those 10,000mAh+ packs and use those to charge your devices, as most phones don't take too kindly to constantly being charged and then not charged as most inverters for such a purpose don't have a cache battery themselves to ensure a steady charge.

Not familiar with the trail you're looking to do, is it going to be that far away from civilization that you can't charge a couple battery packs every few days?
>>
>>1084500
The Transamerica Trail is a 4,000 mi. route from Astoria, Oregon to Virginia, ocean to ocean. The section I'm doing will run through KS, CO, WY, ID, MT, and OR. I live in NW AR just 100 mi. S. of the MO/KS border and will be doing the western half starting here. Also thinking of taking Adventure Cycling's Pacific Coast route up to Washington State too, I'm so hot for the pacific and interior northwest that it hurts a little.

My budget is about $500 a month, so it will be a almost entirely stealth camping trip, the odd cheap motel maybe every other week. Which means that charging off of a wall socket would require regularly finding that socket and sitting there for 2 or 3 hours at a whack. And I'm not a social person at all so the idea of having to find and beg access every day or two sounds socially exhausting.
There are a few stretches that go a long way between civilization, I'd hate for my derailleur spring to pop and disappear 40 mi. from the next small town, 90 mi. form the next town big enough to maybe have a bike shop, and look at my phone to see the battery at <10%.

I'd like to be able to charge my phone for obvious reasons, my camera because I plan on taking a million pics and videos, and my Nook for reading on downtime.
>>
File: 17_aurora.jpg (1MB, 2200x1319px) Image search: [Google]
17_aurora.jpg
1MB, 2200x1319px
>>1084513
I've been on a meh Giant Escape performance hybrid for the last five years since I first got into cycling and bought before I knew what I needed. Next week I'll be buying what I should have got back in the very beginning, a proper touring bike, in this case, a Jamis Aurora.
>>
>>1084515
ive been looking at that one for commuting 25 mi / day

but i bought the wrong bike too
>>
>>1083158
I hate the selle anatomica, it didn't work for me. no disrespect to this sellefag, but I've found the most comfortable saddle to be a broken in berthoud, conditioned the way they recommend. My longest single ride was a 400k, no dick-numbness, my ass wasn't bruised to shit. I was able to ride short distance the following day.
>>
>>1083477
what frame is that?
>>
>>1083403
nice. I assume the bag is just Energy GUs and lube.
>>
>>1084531
Are you looking at hauling a lot of gear on your commute? If not you may be more suited to an "endurance road bike." Relaxed geometry for longer rides but lighter than a proper touring bike since you wouldn't be hauling 90 lbs at a time on it.
>>
>>1083693
the fuji is a great, super comy bike.
get some marathon supremes for it though - the 35's fit nicely and roll well.
>>
>>1084513
Charging your phone in a public park is pretty easy. Granted, a dynamo hub will be more reliable, but you're going to be traveling through towns pretty frequently on that route.

If you can't live without your phone on, then yes, you probably need a dynamo hub. If you just turn your phone off and leave it off except for emergencies (good luck getting cell service where you need it, you'll have better luck hitchhiking and/or being prepared) and the odd call home, you'll be fine with outlets in public parks and libraries once a week or so.
>>
>>1084549
a laptop, lunch, and other shit, max 6-7 kilos? never weighed the load, but sure as fuck i aint carrying that in a backpack

im trying to convince the wife that biking is nice and its good to leave the fucking house every now and then
>>
>>1084607
leave the house and bike, that is
>>
>>1084592
I hadn't really thought of it that way signal and whatnot. I was really mainly wanting it for maps in weird places but I plan on meticulously micro-planning my route and keeping it in hardcopy anyway.
>>
File: IMG_20170624_172252_HDR.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170624_172252_HDR.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
Are those little holes eye holes that I can put a rack on for luggage? What rack would work for that? Most of the ones I looked at have the holes in the other side and further down
>>
File: IMG_20170624_172301_HDR.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170624_172301_HDR.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>1084660
>>
>>1084658
Paper maps are way cheaper than a dynamo hub. In some complicated sections you might have to take as many as 5 turns in a day.

Your phones GPS can be useful, but you won't be needing it constantly.
>>
>>1084658
>>1084665
Not just that, but there's also the requirement for building the rest of the wheel too, if you don't want to pick up a prebuilt one. Then there's buying the inverter as well, installing everything, etc.

Easier to grab a solar panel, which wasn't warmly received. Have it sit on the back of the bike slowly charging whatever it will.
>>
>>1083672
>I know it's not ideal , but could I get away with 33mm triggersport pro tubless tyres for gravel touring with the occasional singletrack ?

I've got Soma Cazaderos that I take on double track MTB. They're 43mm and still feel narrow. You might want something bigger for real singletrack... so, a new bike frame

>>1083693
The Pine Mountain is heavy and slow. I've heard owners say it's slow on pavement. I would not even consider it for touring.

Fuji is the best deal and has better gearing. The 26t granny gear, 34t low cassette is great.

The Marin has disc brakes and STIs which are great, but the gearing sucks. 30t granny and 32t low cassette. STIs can be a burden if you crash and break one. But disc brakes + rain + heavy load is a plus..
>>
>>1084658
>Are those little holes eye holes that I can put a rack on for luggage? What rack would work for that? Most of the ones I looked at have the holes in the other side and further down

First pic, No. Second pic, Yes. A better shot of your bike would be useful.

Here's a seatpost clamp that helps you mount a rear rack on your bike. You will probably need something like this. There are other options though.
>>
File: sherpa-rear-26-non-disk-LG.jpg (58KB, 378x504px) Image search: [Google]
sherpa-rear-26-non-disk-LG.jpg
58KB, 378x504px
>>1084660

Old Man Mountain makes racks specifically for difficult bikes. Here's an example of one that mounts to your cantilever brake bosses, above your brakes
>>
Just do it. Don't sweat the gear just get your bike professionally serviced before you go. Carry spare spokes and a tensioner, read about spoke repair.

For inspiration, Google "tourfat 4chan out"
>>
>>1084433

Yeah. It was easy and a lot of fun. I don't go on vacations to suffer agony so that I can impress worthless faggots like you.
>>
>>1084451
I was out there for a week. Some of it, I had a lot of technical delays (a busted phone charger that charged slow rather than just not working so I sat in a place for a day to charge my battery, and slow water filtration issues) But even then, some days, I'd only ride for a couple hours, especially if there was a good campsite. I'm not some Tour de France wannabe whose dream is riding a bike for 12 hours a day. I wanted to see about stealth camping and bomb the Great Divide, not pretend to be Tony Hawk.
>>
>>1084702
>I'm not some Tour de France wannabe
>Tony Hawk
... What the fuck man
>>
File: images (1).jpg (4KB, 159x119px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
4KB, 159x119px
>>1084708
>>
>>1084709
Saying random ass shit is the joke? I don't get it
>>
>>1084710
You never will, friendo.
>>
>>1084709
I thought the joke was averaging just over 17 miles a day.

A lot of people hike faster than that.
>>
>>1084711
Haha good one man
>>
>>1084714
What did you win when you won your bike tour race, Anon?
>>
>>1083761
What bike did you decide on?
I tryed the 920 and weight didn't seem like a problem, maybe it is just me but even with the plus tires the bike is a third of what my current daily weighs.
>>
>riding on roads with cars

How about you kill yourselves before a cager with a smartphone accidentally flattens your head.
>>
>>1084800
Well where the fuck do you ride then? Your private roads? The velodrome?
>>
>>1084806
Somewhere else.
I always have to see gigantic queues behind some cyclist just because a car is too afraid to overtake him.
That's real antisocial behaviour. Roads are build for cars.
>>
>>1084809
No. Fuck off.
>>
>>1084809
Fuck off cager.
>>
>>1084729
Anybody not morbidly obese can easily cover over 17mi/day and be unphazed, get over your self...
>>
>>1084823
Yes, and? Were we racing? What were the stakes?

Why is my relaxing and pleasant bike tour vacation triggering you so hard?
>>
>>1084809
You don't really ride a bike, do you? If you are trying to get from one place to another, you won't usually have much choice.
>>
>>1083000
>>1083023
>>1083030
>>1083032
>>1083034
I've read time and time again that people set off on bike tours with 0 training on the regular, and you git gud as you go. Including here, on other touring threads. Why is everybody ragging so hard on OP?
>>
>>1084422
What beach anon?
>>
File: 20170612_172616.jpg (760KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170612_172616.jpg
760KB, 1600x1200px
Bay chossebike, bay roadbike(Donor).
Hi-tec, texno
>>
>>1084832
To me the stakes are not getting bored traveling so little, when touring I want to see more of the world than that.
If you want to go short distances you do you, but you equated desiring more distance with being in a race, which is bullshit.
>>
File: 20170610_100242.jpg (666KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170610_100242.jpg
666KB, 1600x1200px
ExtrimeTopSprintSteelnsDiscoverBike666,,
>>
>>1084308
Fuji Touring
>>
>>1084844
No. I equated your choice to be a buttmad little bitch about my choices to being in a race.
>>
>>1084844
>If you want to go short distances you do you

So basically you just admitted you sperged just to be an asshole and humble brag about your distances and times?
>>
File: fuji_touring_2017.jpg (122KB, 470x295px) Image search: [Google]
fuji_touring_2017.jpg
122KB, 470x295px
So I've half asked this here before, but my budget is nearly there and I want your guys' opinion.

Fuji Touring vs. Jamis Aurora?

The Touring runs $750, Deore carnkset and RD, Alivio FD and cassette, 3x9 speed. The Touring does not come stock with fenders or front rack.

The Aurora is $930, Tiagra RD, Sora FD, "HG-200 cassette", FSA Alpha Drive crankset.
The Aurora DOES come with fenders.

So from what I can tell, is the Aurora $180 more for the fenders? How much does a decent set of fenders typically run here? Surely not $180.
>>
>>1085032
Concerning the frame, the Aurora uses Reynolds 520 double-butted CrMo, and the Touring uses Custom-butted Elios 2 chromoly.
>>
>>1085032
Tiagra/Sora drivetrain on the Jamis is a step up from Deore/Alivio. On the other hand, the HG-200 (Acera) on the Jamis is a step down from the Alivio on the Fuji (does that matter for cassettes, especially at the low end? No moving parts). And I think even Deore cranksets are hollowtech now, whereas the FSA crank on the Jamis is square taper. Kind of a wash, but I'd tend to prefer the up-spec'd moving parts and don't care about the cranks/cogs as much.

The Jamis has nicer wheels as well.
>>
>>1085040
Ew, I just looked up the HG200 and it's actually Tourney dept. store-tier. But I think you're right, I believe that's what is on the Giant Escape I'm riding right now and it's held up through five years of moderate use, so maybe not much of a problem for something as simple as a cassette.

Concerning Deore and Alivio, I thought that those were equivalent to Tiagra and Sora, respectively? Are there any important functional differences between Shimano MTB and road groups?

This is a tough decision, if I wait until the 1st of the month I can get the Aurora, but the Touring is looking like a better value for what you are actually getting, which seems to be almost the same ultimate product.
>>
>>1085040
>>1085059
Of course I hadn't considered the wheels at all yet, which is kind of important . . .
>>
>>1085032
My tubus evo logo rear rack costed me $150
>>
>>1082974
Do NOT use soap around a natural water source; it is devastating to marine life. If you MUST use soap (I do not when touring) the you need to fill a water bag or foldable bowl and carry it at least 400m away from the water source, ie. lake or river.
>>
>>1085074
...and then bury it in a sump at least six inches down.
>>
>>1085032
It's $180 for worse gearing
>>
>>1085074
Don't the fish like being clean too?
>>
>>1085108
Now like I wondered earlier, isn't Deore/Alivio equivalent to Tiagra/Sora or am I one step off on the hierarchy?

Or are you talking about that crummy Tourney cassette? Because like the point the other anon made, how much does a cassette actually affect the quality apart from weight?
>>
File: fuji_t.jpg (509KB, 1723x1229px) Image search: [Google]
fuji_t.jpg
509KB, 1723x1229px
>>1085032
Fuji Touring gives you 34 cogs at the rear, in case of hills.
I don't know where you live, but for 180 dollars you could probably buy a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Supremes and a Brooks B17. Or some cheaper tires and fenders.

I would say that 135mm Deore hubs on Fuji are more sturdy than 130mm Tiagras on Jamis.
>>
File: fuji 2017.jpg (470KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
fuji 2017.jpg
470KB, 1500x844px
>>1085146
updated photo
>>
File: Fuji touring.jpg (338KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
Fuji touring.jpg
338KB, 1500x844px
>>1085165
...and in touring setup, I'm not using front panniers.
>>
>>1085032
Get the fuji - use the left over cash for marathon supremes and fenders as anon suggested. Do that and you'll still have cash left over. Oh, and get the 35's - that's the sweet spot for those tires.
>>
>>1085173
>Oh, and get the 35's - that's the sweet spot for those tires.
Yes, that's the size I chose as they are quite slender. When mounted on Fuji's stock rims, they are actually 34mm wide, which is the maximum that fits with my fenders.
>>
>>1085182
>>1085173

I like 35s on paved roads and semi-smooth gravel, but on any kind of rough gravel I wish I was running something wider.
>>
>>1085243
you can go wider on the fuji for sure - for marathons though the performance supposedly dips off a little past the 35"s
>>
>>1085253
I'm riding a 2011 Trek 520. I've used 38s. I'll probably put 40s (or hell, maybe even 45s) on it before I do anything really crazy like thousands of miles on gravel in the 3rd world.
>>
>>1085167

great choices. why not level handlebars though?

I had supremes in 35c and they blew my mind. My tire standards are really high now

32c version not as good though. briefly owned 26x2.0 which were neat but not the same
>>
File: 20170628_125032.jpg (689KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170628_125032.jpg
689KB, 1600x1200px
>>108484
Owned thes thred.
>>
File: 20170628_113334.jpg (719KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170628_113334.jpg
719KB, 1600x1200px
Fixed-photo
>>
File: 1491926637749.jpg (48KB, 591x734px) Image search: [Google]
1491926637749.jpg
48KB, 591x734px
>>1083072
>>1083158
>>1083159

Thanks for the advice. I have been riding everyday since my post and I have noticed some things.

1) the biggest tires I can fit on my frame are 40mm. I have a bad back and need a little more plushness if I am going to be riding on gravel. My friend has a 2017 fargo frame he's willing to sell for cheap (he just got his Ti frame, doesn't need his steel anymore) would it be worth it to pick up the fargo or should I go with something that has suspension? I can apparently put 29+ on the fargo, my friend said that would be more than enough for gravel and fire roads, stuff like that. Opinions?

2) didn't like the atomica, I have wide sit bones and it seemed too narrow. I think I may go with a brooks b19 as that is a good width. Does anyone have experience with the cambium? the LBS guys are telling me the leather brooks should not get wet, and I'm thinking perhaps thats a bad trait for a touring saddle. pro v cons of cambium/leather. Anything else comparable to this style of saddle?

3) I mostly ride MTB and I generally use clips (crank bros) are these good for touring? I have been thinking about it and I cannot make up my mind about clips v flats for this trip. Advice/opinions would be welcome.
>>
>>1085592
Suspension is a meme, wider tires will help more. If you have a wide ass try female saddles (are you female?). As for pedals, I'd go with flats, since then you only need to pack one pair of shoes, and aren't relying on clips which need maintenance and such.
>>
>>1085594

Not a female, just a big dude. I used to have a wtb devo (deva?) saddle for MTB but for longer rides that feels a little small. DESU most of the time when on MTB I'm standing so I don't have much experience with prolonged saddle time. I really like the cambium though. I got to ride a c17 and, while a little narrow it seems great. Any downside to this saddle?
>>
>>1085601
Leather saddles don't like the wet.
>>
>>1085532
> great choices.
Thanks!

> why not level handlebars though?

The angle of the photo makes them perhaps appear higher than they really are. Still, they're not level and that's mainly because of comfort. I used to get sore neck when the bars were lower or more level.
>>
>>1085032
I bought the Fuji and it's great. Gearing is great. Climbed Mt. Hood with 60lb of gear no problem. I changed the handlebars out for a Jones bar. Gonna see how that goes.

Also holes for a 3rd bottle cage.
>>
>>1085032
>>1085633
Forgot pic
>>
>>1085592
I tour with SPD pedals. I'm not going ride in my hiking boots regardless, which are the only other pair of shoes I carry.

My SPD shoes are sandals that I'm content to wear around camp too.
>>
>>1082974
buena bici
>>
>>1085592
>3) I mostly ride MTB and I generally use clips (crank bros) are these good for touring? I have been thinking about it and I cannot make up my mind about clips v flats for this trip. Advice/opinions would be welcome.

https://www.bikejames.com/strength/the-flat-pedal-revolution-manifesto-how-to-improve-your-riding-with-flat-pedals/
>>
>>1085585

wtf are you doing dawg
>>
>>1085585
>>1085739
I like this guy
>>
File: touren.jpg (565KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
touren.jpg
565KB, 1024x768px
>>1085633

The Fuji tourer has been a good bike for years. Other known good bikes are the Trek 520 and Surly LHT.

IMHO the new style of tourer like the Surly ECR are the best if you can afford them, so comfy and go anywhere.

But really any bike will do as long it's reliable.
>>
>>1085592

I have 2.5" Grifter "road" tyres on my ECR and they sure are nice on most touring surfaces. Just get some good MTB flats and save having to carry an extra pair of shoes. Cleat shoes suck for walking in and if they don't they're shit cleat shoes. I've had good results with Shitmano Saint pedals they sure feel nice and you can move your feet around, and you have normal shoes on for when you need to push.
>>
>>1085592

I've heard that Cambium saddles are pretty good, but a correction about the leather saddles they are made in England for English conditions, and that means shitty rainy days and wet roads. If you have Fenders absolutely no problem. Just don't leave them out in the rain, put a plastic bag over them when you park, and let them dry out if they do get wet. Also only ever use Proofide the way Brooks tells you to, any other treatment is voodoo.
>>
File: 20170610_153235.jpg (503KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170610_153235.jpg
503KB, 1600x1200px
>>1085739
Just a my experement.
He знaю пoймyт ли мeня
>>
File: 2013085-torss.jpg (122KB, 400x601px) Image search: [Google]
2013085-torss.jpg
122KB, 400x601px
Sou rassian style - very universal and little many.
Human baine.
>>
>>1085173
>>1085182
>>1085243
>>1085253
>>1085254
>>1085532

If you can find a pair of the mondials they are up there with the preems. I run 35mm supreme for road and 40mm mondial for gravel (and pretty much everything else). Obviously the mondial is a little slower, and heavier, but it runs faster than I thought it would and has surprisingly good grip in pretty much everything.
>>
>>1085803
>>1085805
>>1085592

This sold me on the Fargo. Thanks.
>>
>>1085584
Wut
>>
I'm planning about a week away with my bicyclemobile. Want to carry a tent, sleeping bag, inflatable rollmat and a little stove. Possibly a little solar charger for the phone.

Will carry 2 or 3 proper meals and 2-3 litres of water most of the time.

Shooting for 15kg - how realistic is this without going apeshit £2k on the above?

I could tolerate 20kg I guess.
>>
>>1086184

In a partial answer to my own question; I'm pleasantly surprised.

Tent, sleeping bag, mat, stove and gas canister: £350 and 4kg. Not shit stuff but certainly not Everest quality.

Looks like 12kg is doable with room for whiskey and weed in 2 panniers
>>
>>1085899

Enjoy your thicc tyres. IMHO it's the road chatter which wears you down most of all on a long ride, especially when it gets so bad you have to get off and push. With plush tyres you just roll on, maybe a bit slower but you keep going. You also have confident handling on those really fast bits so you're not on the brakes as much.
>>
File: just ride.jpg (34KB, 250x498px) Image search: [Google]
just ride.jpg
34KB, 250x498px
>>1086184

Overnighters are good fun and also a good shakedown for your loadout. Read this book.
>>
>>1085585

I like this loadout. If I may suggest, flip the drops the right way around and then pull them back DUI style, strap some load to the crossbar and you still have a good upright grip. See pic related >>1085803
>>
>>1086280

I'm going to. Just got the frame, ordered some parts, had a bunch that came will tho... Should be up and about by next week. Will post pics if thread is still up. I went with vee speedster tires after watching some video about the jones space frame.
>>
File: 20170701_115247.jpg (670KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170701_115247.jpg
670KB, 1600x1200px
Summer bike. Drive to sea.
>>
File: e2uTfT-TSOQ.jpg (126KB, 1280x525px) Image search: [Google]
e2uTfT-TSOQ.jpg
126KB, 1280x525px
Absolutle owned thes therd
>>
>>1086394
If this trailer carries more than 2kg of load, these brakes are going to have some serious trouble.
>>
>>1085074
or you could just use dr bonners, shit won't devastate anything
>>
File: 2.jpg (116KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
116KB, 960x720px
Anybody here have experience going down the Oregon coast? I'm planning on going from Vancouver Wa to San Fran in Mid September.

Any advice?
>>
File: 20170701_191100.jpg (681KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170701_191100.jpg
681KB, 1600x1200px
>>
File: 20170701_211505.jpg (619KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170701_211505.jpg
619KB, 1600x1200px
>>
So cold, alone...

Just do блять it.
>>
File: 20170701_220453.jpg (430KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170701_220453.jpg
430KB, 1600x1200px
>>
>>1085841
You can just kick that off, not a good idea sorry dude
>>
File: Screenshot_20170702-173113.png (4MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170702-173113.png
4MB, 1080x1920px
>>1086843
How cold of did it get? props for going on your own :)
>>
File: IMG_20170616_202407_136.jpg (1MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170616_202407_136.jpg
1MB, 2160x2160px
Bikepacking setup.
Pack light, stay in budget hotels and forage lunch from cafés and supermarkets.
100-190km a day in the Alps for 11 days.
Just finished Venice - Geneva last week. Also done the Route des Grande Alpes (Geneva - Nice) on basically the same setup 2 years ago.
Flew to Venice airport with the bike in a standard cardboard bike box which then got ditched at the airport, literally rode straight into Geneva airport where I bought a box and packed the bike there and then right before checking in.
>>
>>1086695
I used to live in Oregon. The mountains are soo much nicer. Less traffic, fewer people, better scenery.

Granted, I've toured only a couple days on the Oregon coast I've spent months in the Cascades on my bike (4 trips). The one coast trip sucked and all 4 mountain trips were fucking amazing.
>>
>>1086861

that's awesome
>>
>>1086861

post some mountain pictures
>>
File: FB_IMG_1498252657888.jpg (88KB, 1203x720px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1498252657888.jpg
88KB, 1203x720px
>>1087047
San Bernadino
>>
File: IMG_20170620_074512_664.jpg (1MB, 2160x2700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170620_074512_664.jpg
1MB, 2160x2700px
>>1087047
Gavia.
This was a tough climb made hard considering I'd done the Stelvio earlier that day!
>>
File: IMG_20170619_081123_983.jpg (1MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170619_081123_983.jpg
1MB, 2160x2160px
Pordoi
>>
>>1082974
dont you dare fucking use dish soap in a lake
>>
>>1084660
Those holes are so gas can escape when they weld the frame together>>1086695
>>
>>1084660
If there are no threads in the hole it's not an attachment point.
>>
>>1087182
I've used bleach to wash my bibs, kek.
>>
>>1084845
yes!
>>
>>1086393
cool set up
>>
File: 20170701_213526.jpg (352KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170701_213526.jpg
352KB, 1600x1200px
>>1086860
Faith No More - Falling To Pieces Black
>>
>>1087216
>he thinks it's funny

real cute, faggot. why don't you drink some next time.
>>
>>1085803
>>1085805

So how much of the redundancy stuff is a meme on the newer bikes? Everyone says I should have mech discs and run tubes, is tubeless/hydro bad for + touring? I have hyrdo/tubeless on my commuter and havent had an issue in 2 years. If I'm running 29+ and I pop a tube in the middle of nowhere I'm probably fucked either way, and a patch kit + sealant seems less bulky.
>>
>>1083987
dude what fenders are those

>>1084305
wow, I thought romania was basically flat, that's cool as hell. thanks guy
>>
>>1086651
Maybe downhill, but it looks rather flat there.
>>
>>1087335
>>dude what fenders are those
50mm SKS Chromoplastics with some custom mudflaps. Not a huge fan of the coverage hence the mudflaps, the Longboards would serve a better purpose.
>>
>>1087302

As long as you can rig it good enough to roll, no problem. If you're going deep off-road then a mechanical issue could be disastrous especially a wheel issue. For the record a normal 29er tube works fine for 29+.
>>
File: 1491149872056.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1491149872056.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Is 850 miles doable in 14-15 days? About 41k Elevation gain. With time to still like take pictures and see the sights? I'd probabbly only average 10mph with my current bike setup
>>
>>1084545
Looks like a Patria to me
>>
>>1087514
Well, 85 at 10 mph hours over 14 days would be about 6 hours a day, so I'll go with yes.
>>
File: 20170707_101936.jpg (513KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170707_101936.jpg
513KB, 1600x1200px
Sprint
>>
>touring bikes
>no front suspension
Do you never drive on gravel roads or something?
>>
>>1088621
nigga you get a set of nice supple tires and then you don't need no suspension
>>
>>1088621
>not touring on a carbon race bike
lmaoing @ ur life
>>
>>1088621
Wide, quality tires, ever heard of them?
>>
File: IMG_8942.jpg (3MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8942.jpg
3MB, 3648x2736px
>>1084841
That was in the early morning hours near Blokhus, Northern Denmark.

>>1087335
Nigga the Carpathian mountains cover a whopping third of the country.
>>
File: DSC_0105.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0105.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1084545
>>1087515
853 Gunnar crosshairs
>>
>>1088630
>>1088632
>>1088639
Have fun driving on forest roads and going down hills
>>
>>1088732

>probably needs about 4-5 inches of travel
>>>in his anus
>>
File: rockymountainsherpa.jpg (295KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
rockymountainsherpa.jpg
295KB, 1024x682px
>>1088621
>front rack and panniers
>what is unsprung weight?

or

>most weight at rear
>the point?

The proper solution is wide tires as stated before. And >>1088732 yes I ride forest roads and downhills. 2" semislicks are god-tier choice for trips if there might also be shittier roads.

Also
>not bikepacking with short travel full suspension carbon bike
>>
File: DSC_0052_1.jpg (3MB, 2447x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0052_1.jpg
3MB, 2447x2448px
>>
>>1088746
KKK supermarket ::D
>>
File: shikoku.png (177KB, 450x396px) Image search: [Google]
shikoku.png
177KB, 450x396px
Has anyone toured through Shikoku? I'd like to do it this September/October. It would be my first multi-day tour so I'm worried the mountains will overwhelm me.
>>
>>1088804
You have at least 2 months to practice riding up hills near your home, unless you live in Kansas or Belarus or similar. Just don't expect to do them too quickly.

You could also go out for a couple weekends to get an idea of how to pack your stuff, what to bring, etc, and just scale that up to your longer tour.

Getting mentally 'overwhelmed' sounds like something you'll need to handle yourself.
>>
you who fly your bikes in cardboard boxes, what do you do with the boxes when you arrive at the airport and how do you bring the box to the airport when leaving?
>>
https://youtu.be/hRqDvlkWwyQ

This dude is bike touring through europe wild camping everywhere, his logs are pretty cool
>>
>>1089798
Be a little less transparent next time Billy.
>>
>>1089779
I'm in the third world so when I get to an airport and my bike is in a box, I just set my bike up and either give the box to the cleaning staff, of just place it near a garbage can with all the packing stuff in the box.

I'm in the 3rd world, and it's hot here. When leaving I pack my bike in a box at the hotel, or if the box is to big for a taxi I break down the bike, and have it all set to drop in the box. Then take a taxi to the airport with the box folded up. At the airport tape up the box, place the bike in, then tape up the box. I really want to be clean and dry when I sit on an airplane for 12 hours.
>>
>>1089798
Pussy detected
>>
>>1084513
S O L A R C H A R G E R

sitting in McCafe for 3 hours in the am suxxxx
>>
>>1085146
>34 cogs
SRAM has gone too far this time
>>
File: IMG_20170714_164128.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170714_164128.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
What should I do to tour on a racing bike? Replace the pedals with mtb or flats, but is the wheels necessary and can that frame hold 10kg with a rack? And is a mountain bike cranks a good idea if possible?
Want to go around 5000km so there'll probably be some of shit road, only toured before in Thailand and China
>>
>>1090482
>tfw your boy pucci cant handle moar wifli
>>
>23mm 20 spoke wheels

Sounds like a pretty shitty idea to me, especially on shitty roads. If you intend to climb mountains with relevant weight, lower gears will help a lot.

10 kg of gear? I hope you're going on some civilized credit-card tour. I've had stretches in the middle of nowhere where I've carried (and drank) 10 kg of water, never mind everything else.
>>
>>1090815
>>1090838
>>
>>1090838
Guessing 10kg or a little more, I'll probably have a bivvy, mat, light sleeping bag, poncho, lock and some tools in the panniers and saddle bag. Water and gels I'll just keep in a camelbak and cash for my meals. The frame is pretty light so that's why I asked, if that's easy then good.

What's recommended for wheels? want to go from toronto through detroit to all the northeast cities in USA, back into Canada through maine to qc assuming I can get the b-2 tourism visa for long enough, so some mountains but not too bad I think.
>>
>>1090815
toured through east coast of canada with a racing bike, definitely wouldn't recommend. hardtail mtb would even be a better choice. get a bike with more relaxed geometry so you can enjoy your ride and put in more miles.

With a racing bike you kinda need to go with a seatpost mounted rack if you want panniers and that really limits the amount of weight you can take with you.

you want to be able to over shitty gravel trails without fear, since thats where the best sights are :)
>>
>>1086651
haha 2kg really?
>>
has anyone make a trip in britanny (France)? I'm doing 10 days in august from Brest to Nantes by the sea. any advices. I'm a little worried because I'm going with someone who is really new to bikes
>>
>>1091544
Brittany is beautiful. A bit wet by French standards but that's nothing if you're used to British rain. It has the densest network of genuine youth hostels in France so you don't have to camp all the time. (by genuine i mean trad ones, not the modern ones full of noisy drunk teens). It is quite flat and there are many small roads so moving around is easy. Personally i prefer the hinterland to the coast.
>>
>>1090867
Personally i wouldn't go with less than 32 spokes on the rear wheel, especially if you wish to go offroad a bit. Also 23mm tyres will not be comfortable at all. go with the maximum your frame will allow.
>>
>>1090815
>can that frame hold 10kg with a rack?

I see eyelets near the dropouts there are no eyelets near the seatpost but a rack like a Tubus fly should fit to the brake bosse. If the frame is alloy it will easily bear 10kg.

>And is a mountain bike cranks a good idea if possible?

It should work if your front derailleur cage can reach the outer chainring without hitting the chainstay. It's also the cheapest option to get low gears. The issue is the high Q factor which may fell uncomfortable. If you have the money buy a 105 five arms triple crankset, remove the chainrings, and replace them with a 26 teeth inner chainring and a 42 teeth middle chainring and no outer chainring (you will need shorter bolts). Fairly low Q factor and low gears. That's what i use on my touring bike. If you have plenty of money just buy a Sugino OX901D and be done.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sdDgCdLRlU
Have you guys seen this guy's youtube?
>>
File: 1485407890672.gif (16KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1485407890672.gif
16KB, 750x750px
Opinions on kickstands? I have a Fuji tourer and I don't think it has the bolts for kickstand could be wrong. But is it worth it to get some sort of kickstand? Or is it worthless weight?
>>
>>1092328
strap for the front wheel to the downtube is the way imo then it wont fall over.
>>
>>1092328
If you think it's useful, why not. I don't find much use for it so I don't have one on my bikes.
>>1092332
wat?
>>
Which bike to get for touring for weeks or months?

I quit my job and want to start touring europe on a bike.

Prefferably something that will handle more than a tarmac, but also forest trails etc.
>>
>>1092328
>worthless weight
Not like you're carrying it
>>
File: Mercurio 29.jpg (70KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
Mercurio 29.jpg
70KB, 800x640px
I recently bought a MTB "Mercurio Ranger 29", and i wonder if it can be equipped to be a tour bicycle or should i get another one?
>>
>>1092529
you can tourer on anything, but I would rather hitch hike than ride on that thing.
do as you please.
>>
>>1092481
Well in a sense
>>
>>1083477 >>1088702
got all that stuff on there but why not fenders? help me understand
>>
recommendations for touring / gravel / adventure bike?
>>
File: 1.jpg (170KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
170KB, 720x960px
what kind of bike is this ? its a peugeot looks like a uo10 super light but the fork looks more like a uo10 course. I could be completely wrong though, help guys!
>>
File: 2.jpg (156KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
156KB, 960x720px
>>1092734
fork
>>
>>1083809
>>1083800

Where did you camp? Just anywhere, or did you have to pay for a campsite? Traffic a problem? Hail? Breddy cool, man.
>>
>>1092734
Whats on the headbadge?
>>
>>1092734
>lion logo on the fork blade
>checker board pattern
>shit dropouts
>dented chainstay
>awful brazeons
it's a peugeot that belongs in the trash.
>>
File: 1499267398927.png (356KB, 711x822px) Image search: [Google]
1499267398927.png
356KB, 711x822px
I'm on a budget here so please bare with me

Is it possible to go touring on an amazon or walmart bicycle (MTB)? or is it an absolute must to get a proper bike for touring like a giant mtb or fuji tour even.

my plan is to get cheap walmart bicycle mtb + tools and be self reliant. I've also heard you can get your money back with wall mart insurance if it falls apart on the way, maybe i can just keep riding new bikes to my destination.
>>
>>1093060
This. Stamped dropouts ain shit.
>>
>>1093150
You want a bike with parts that are durable and replaceable. A walmart or amazon bicycle is neither.
You can get real bikes for reasonable prices though. Used, or just a low-tier thing from b'twin.
>>
>>1093150
Buy a used bike. The Wallmart bike will die on you in the middle of nowhere and you will have to spend a lot of money and time saving yourself.
>>
Hey guys
I'm going to tour the Alps in August. To lock my bike when buying food, I've bought the Abus Bordo 6000, not knowing its awful reputation concering its security.
I won't drive to suburbs, just to the grocery stores (where people are around). It'll be mostly little villages. Am I too paranoid or should I sell it and buy something from Kryptonite?
>>
>>1092735
those are the biggest fender eyelets i've ever seen- is your bike supposed to admit motorcycle parts?
>>
What's the minimum amount to spend on a bike packing bike?
I have a shitty trek 4500 for when I go fishing but that's it
>>
I am setting up a hardtail for touring/adventure.
What does everyone do about the handlebars?
After about 30 miles/50 km my hands end up sore and imprinted with the grips. Any suggestions for grips to get or any specific mitts/gloves?
>>
>>1093266
If that bike is comfortable and gets you around reliably, then just stick with that one and modify it. Idea of "bike packing" is using unorthodox methods to load your bike with what you need so that whatever bike you have is the right bike.
>>
>>1093353

Get gloves.
>>
Is the surly long haul trucker a meme bike?
Thinking of using as a commuter and possibly settting up a longer term touring rig in the future. Can pick up a new one for 2k leaf bucks
>>
>>1093266
probably wouldn't want to go lower than $1, but that's just me. I'm sure you could find a decent bike for a nickel if it was shiny enough.

As long as your bike isn't falling apart and is comfortable to ride, you are golden!
>>
>>1082974

Ok.

I'm actually touring Europe right now. I also had no real riding experience prior to setting forth. So here's some pointers.

Don't worry about being inexperienced- you'll learn, and learn damn quick. Persevere.

Pack as lightly as possible. Initially, France was a real pain in the arse- no surprise, considering I brought so much unnecessary shit. Keep your panniers balanced, too.

By all means be thrifty, but don't become a hermit. For god's sake, be social. Solo travelling can get real lonely- especially in foreign countries.

Stay well stocked. Tubes, levers, derailleur cables. Alan keys, And a good multitool. As you've no experience, you'll likely experience mechanicals fairly quickly- practice changing tyres, and familiarise yourself with your derailleurs.

Get a plan, and STICK TO IT. Work out inclinations, declinations, etc. I'd advise you to take it easy on your first few days. It's not a race, and you'll not be breaking any records as a rookie.

This is by no means an exhaustive list- but don't worry. you'll learn the ropes soon enough.

Pic related- my rig.
>>
File: LoadedBike.jpg (473KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LoadedBike.jpg
473KB, 1920x1080px
>>1083159
Not OP, but I am planning on doing the GAP (and part of the C&O) as part of a three day tour this coming weekend.
I'm in pretty good shape and I'm planning a fairly light load (20 lbs of gear, minimal food/water, aluminum/cf bike).
I've done Skyline Drive with a similar load, and didn't really have trouble.
Thoughts?
pic related is same bike, on the Skyline Drive trip
>>
File: w_100_1927.jpg (706KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
w_100_1927.jpg
706KB, 1920x1080px
>>1093679
Ok, me again.
I just looked up the answer to my own question.
The start of Skyline Drive climbs about 3600' in the same distance the GAP climbs 2000'.
I think I'll be fine.
And yes, I know, dat muddy brake.
>>
>>1093579
It's heavy, stiff and more uncomfortable than an aluminium bike, yet somehow mounting a kickstand can break the frame.
>>
>>1093667
I have a few different opinions, after 40,000+ km of touring in NA.

>Pack as lightly as possible.
Start with what you need. NEED. This means things you will die if you don't have. The move on to things that are essential for comfort (for example, sleeping in the rain is not much fun without a tent). If you're still comfortable carrying all of that, then you can start adding things that you want (I like stopping to take hikes, so I bring my boots and a backpack).

>For god's sake, be social.
If you need to be social, be social. If you don't, enjoy the solitude. People will want to know what the fuck you're doing, and they'll ask often enough. If you feel empty after spending a Friday night alone, maybe you should find a buddy or a different hobby.

>Get a plan, and STICK TO IT.
Flexibility is one of the greatest strengths of bicycle touring. By all means, have a long term plan, but planning every night would be such a waste! Sometimes the wind is kind and takes you 250+ km in a day, and sometimes it's not or you get distracted and do less than 100. Stealth camping means that you can set up (almost) anywhere, so you don't need to do anything silly like forcing yourself to stop in a town every night. I've heard of people who have had good luck with knocking on doors and asking to set up camp on a lawn, although this surely varies with the local culture.
>>
>>1093667
It looks like you're using a compact crankset which may explain why you struggled in France with weight. I think one of the biggest problem for beginner is the relative scarcity of dropbar touring bikes with low gears as a standard. One nearly always needs to replace the crankset or the chainrings to obtain proper low gears and replacing them is not a skill you can expect out of a beginner.
>>
>>1093667
is that your complete set?

where in France did you road?
>>
Repost from BQG

I want to start bike touring. Travel is fun and money is tight so it seems like a great way to get around and see places on the weekends.

I have a heavy-ass, cheap mountain bike from ten years ago. I'll be starting to do some weekends on it to get a feel for the activity, but I want to save up for a bike I can put some real miles on.

I'll probably have to find something used on Craigslist, but I don't even know where to start. I don't expect to be spoonfed, but if anyone has any proper resources for getting into the process I'd super appreciate it.

TL;DR - What styles / brands (under $1000 [used]) of bike should I consider for touring?
>>
>>1094131
all of these are 1980's lugged steel with cantilever brakes and either 700c or 27" wheels and all the brazed-on hardpoints you could want for starting out (fenders, front and rear racks, at least two bottle cage mounts)

specialized expedition
miyata 1000 lt
bianchi volpe (but it has a shorter wheelbase so it will be a bit more squirrely under load than the others)
trek 520
univega speciallisimo (a rebranded miyata 1000 lt if im not mistaken)
schwinn voyageur (but there's a couple of gaspipe models with caliper brakes under a similar name so be careful here)
panasonic touring deluxe

you could be able to find something in good condition for up to half of your budget. invest in full length fenders if what you found didn't already have them and scour craigslist for secondhand front/rear/pannier racks because there's good money to be saved there by not buying them new.
>>
>>1083755
I have one of these and its fuckin awesome. extremely versatile bike.
>>
would I be ok with a 25€ bags holder and 35€ bags ? If anyone is in france it's from the mall called Decathlon .
>>
>>1094201
Understand that getting cheapo panniers means that the things inside will get wet. If you want to keep them dry inside your cheapo panniers, you'll need to wrap the contents in plastic bags or similar. Durability and weight capacity are also potential concerns for your bags, and Decathlon sells some really shitty stuff. (I assume the Decathlon in Spain is the same as the one in France).

I started touring with a shitty pair of panniers. They came with a rain cover. After riding in the rain for a week straight, the rain cover was fucking worthless and everything inside was soaked. Now I have Ortliebs and I'm much happier for it.
>>
>>1094131
did you even read my post in the bqg.
post your bike faggot.
give us more information
>>
I have a Giant Roam 3 with disc brakes...it's a hybrid but I got it for 50% off and it fits me well and is comfortable. It's a bit tubby, though. It's the bike that will probably be best suited to touring for me, and I'm wondering what people generally buy and bring bikepacking or touring. I'd like to travel as light as possible - are bivvy sacks just a meme/should I get a tent? I think credit card touring with stealth camping is probably my best option.

I was looking at a rear/front rack and panniers/a basket, but I see lots of frame bags and those fucked up seat bags.

TL;DR I have a bike but no touring equipment, what's the bare minimum of stuff I should have for up to a 300km tour over 5 days or so?

And I'm probably going to ride mostly on gravel.
>>
>>1094271
>credit card touring
>stealth camping
>gravel

Does not compute. If you're credit-card touring, you're buying your food, your shelter and (almost) everything else as you go.

>I'd like to travel as light as possible

Food. Water. Clothing. Tools.

Depending on where and how you're traveling, you might add a sleeping bag, a pad, shelter, a stove, water filtration, shitting-in-the-woods stuff, and protect-your-food-from-bears stuff.

As for sleeping, if you aren't actually planning on credit-card touring, then the lightest way to go is a tarp. Depending on how many grams your comfort is worth, you might want to upgrade to a bivy, a hammock or even a tent. I think the tent is worth it, but that probably has something to do with the fact that I've spent more than a year living off of my bike. If you're ok with 5 potentially shittier nights to lighten you load a bit, you do you.
>>
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/toughroad-slr-2

does this look like a decent touring bike?
I can't find anything used near me
>>
650B conversions, have you done them? I already have the wheels from my MTB, would it be worth trying with some cheap ass Conti RideTours?
>>
>>1094394
>composite fork
that's not a touring bike, anon
>>
>>1094446
should there be suspension?
it looks like all the giant "adventure bikes" have composite forks
>>
>>1094449
He's implying it should be metal. It should be fine anyway.
>>
>>1094426
From what i understand, most people use 42mm tyres for 650B conversions since it's about the diameter of a 700x23mm tyre. This way the geometry of the bike is not fucked.
>>
>>1094449
Nah the fork is fine. It's carbon but it's really beefy carbon. Giant underlines it can bear the weight of a lowrider rack. That's actually rare for carbon forks.
>>
File: 007.jpg (2MB, 3188x1793px) Image search: [Google]
007.jpg
2MB, 3188x1793px
>>1086280
>>1086367
>>1085899
>>1085805
>>1085803

So I got the fargo. Took the noobbies off and put on some schwalbe super moto-x 27.5x2.8 tires. rides well. mostly stock. Rival derailleur replaced with GX, wheels are stock so the whole thing is built around boost spacing. Right now it set up 34x11-42 and desu, it seems pretty slow. I dont have racks yet, so I can't ride it loaded down, but with just my fat ass on it I seem to spin out all the time. I really like the plushness of the + tires, I haven't had any back problems and I have been going mostly on gravel the can be pretty washboard and bumpy, I just wish I could go a little faster. I kind of lucked out in that my crank is fucked and sram is going to warranty it. Sram offered to give me a pretty steep discount on an upgrade, if I wanted to do that. I could get an x0 (x01) crankset for $60 more, or an x01 eagle for $80. My problem here is, with boost spacing my bike can only take a 36t chainring. With a double I can run 42t big ring, which seems perfect but IDK if I can still run + tires with a regular chain line. However, if I want to do that I would need to get a new set of alternator plates and a new rear wheel, minimum and that seems like a pain in the ass. If I get the eagle I will have a 10t meme cog and 36 chainring, which would be like a 38/11 traditional gearing, but I would have to get an xd driver, which is $100. That seems like it would be quicker, but not quite as appealing as the 42t on the double. However, with a 2x10 setup (42/28 rings, 11-36 cassette) my low gear ratio would be .7... whereas my low gear on the eagle would be .72, so it would climb better.

>tldr

I got a basically free set of x0 cranks coming my way. I was thinking about upgrading my groupset anyway and now seems like a good time. Is there anyway to run a double with boost spacing? Could I just run a spacer on the bb? If not, would it be worth switching to eagle for the extra range?
>>
File: 20170728_083923.jpg (680KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170728_083923.jpg
680KB, 2048x1152px
>>1094260
I posted them within seconds of eachother because this thread looked like it was about to die.

Thanks for the info senpai. I can post a better pic later.

It weighs 40 pound, it's been mediocrely maintained since I was gifted it at age 14 or so.

Maybe with a new tread it could be road-able. I take it around my campus on roads but it's certainly no road bike. IDK. I'll start into the reading you suggested. Again, thanks!
>>
>>1094526
1x is a meme for touring. you're unlikely to drop a chain. Go for the double. The easiest option to get boost-compatible spacing would be to use a square taper bb. Not sure that you can put a spacer on a two-piece sram crank but i know the equivalent Shimano hollowtech BBs can so it's likely. The only issue is that you'd need another spacer for the opposite pedal spline or your pedal spacing would be asymmetrical. With two spacers the Q-factor will inflate quite a bit.
>>
>>1094526
Before you decide to commit yourself to going faster, load up your bike with something like the full weight you think you'll be carrying and ride up a long, steep hill.

If you can't go quite as fast as you want, you won't suffer much. If you don't have low enough gears are you're stuck walking up hill, that will make you feel like a moron, in addition to eating up a tremendous amount of time.

I've gone up to 55 mph on 44 x 11 (ok, downhill + downwind, but still), which is a pretty low max gearing, and happily used 22 x 34 to crawl up some hills at 5 mph.
>>
What's the nicest thing anyone's done for you on tour?

Ex hele pilot guy gave me a pink flesh brown trout he just caught (I cut it into 6 pieces while he went back out, cooked it all on my little stove and gave most of it away to tourists by the lake)

Couple in house bus gave me a pack of bacon

Absolutely trashed bogan couple shout hilarious nonsense at each other all night and giving me all their dinner and beers while i make them a fire

Local dealer shouted me cones on his porch and a week later missed work to make sure his cousin didn't stand me over

Nice girl also on tour did my washing for me

Fucked up rural neet guy in mountains let me cruise town on his bmx played me some songs on guitar and let me sleep in his squat on valentines day
>>
>>1094720
Rolled into a town with a broken rim on my rear wheel on July 3 (or was it 2nd? either way, almost the 4th). Met a guy at a grocery store who told me where to find a bike shop. Fine, saved me 30 seconds of turning my phone on and asking google.

So I show up at the shop and they tell me my wheel is fucked (which I understood). The boss goes through their stock of wheels and can't find anything appropriate. I guess they don't get too much touring traffic in Laramie, WY. He tells me that he can order something, but figures that I don't want to sit on my ass for the 3+ days it will take to ship it over.

So he tells me he knows a guy who might be able to help. He makes a phone call and tells me that his buddy has a wheel. So in to the shop comes the guy who had told me about the place at the grocery store and he gives me a pretty nice 700x35 touring wheel, absolutely free of charge, they put my cassette and some tape on it, they recommend me a nice place to camp for the night, and I roll out of town the next morning.
>>
>>1094455
Yup the RideTour comes in 42x650B. I'm currently on 28x700C so I guess it wouldn't change too much?

But I'm kind of wondering if the stiff touring tires, even at 42mm, would be more comfortable than the current 28mm road tires.

>>1094526
Cool bike. Personally I think the 34x11 is enough of a gear if you're riding a heavy bike for a long distance... Just coast if you're really going that fast.
Also something tells me the 10 cog isn't a very good solution to anything long term.
>>
File: bvs906_stills_08--606x404.jpg (351KB, 1000x607px) Image search: [Google]
bvs906_stills_08--606x404.jpg
351KB, 1000x607px
Objectively the best touring bike for the price
>>
>>1095556

Damn that Fuji Tourer is an amazing deal for $749:
http://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/city/urban/touring/touring

It is probably almost better than the shit, over-hyped Surly Long Haul Trucker at almost twice the price...

>>1095093
No, it would change alot --- getting wider supple tires is the best upgrade you can make to your bike. Read this article:

Article:
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/bicycle-quarterly-performance-of-tires/

>Wider tires roll faster. A Michelin Pro2 Race in 25 mm width was faster than the same tire’s 23 mm version, which in turn was faster than the 20 mm version.

>...

>On steel drums, wider tires were slower because they had to run at relatively low pressures. Once we had shown that the high pressures served little benefit, it became clear that on real roads, wider tires are faster, period.

Most the idiot Fred infuenced bike industry and its racer wannabe target demographic believe erroneously that thin tires at high psi were faster because of feedback from idiotic steel drum tests... The nonsense that goes on in cycling is unbelievable.

And listen to this Podcast to find out why wide supple tires are not only more comfortable, they make you go faster, etc.:
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/cyclingtips-podcast-episode-9-rethinking-road-bike-tire-sizes-and-pressures/
>>
File: IMG_2860.jpg (4MB, 4032x3021px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2860.jpg
4MB, 4032x3021px
Just built up a trucker.
Apex road group.
Mini v linear brakes with inline adjusters. Jandd bags with front Jandd rack and rear Road Deluxe rack.
Trying the headlight mounted to the fork.

Thoughts?
>>
>>1095584
Noice.

I'd reconsider the lighting position and ideally get in as high and far forward as possible. Either rig it to the porteur bag somehow, of perhaps on the lowrider bridge? In any event, if you're going to have the light offset it should be on your left side. You're riding on the right. That means your tyre is positioned between the light and traffic.
Upside down on the absolute end of the left drop is also an option unless it interferes with a commonly used hand position, but with your deep ergo drops it scarcely should.
>>
>>1095586
Going to try and pipe clamp or zip tie the light to the front rack loop
>>
>>1095605
Zip tie would not be a good idea as it could lock up the wheel if it tipped backwards. If it's mounted there it's going to have to be secure.
>>
>>1095584
Looks like an amazing set up, just so triggering that you have everything spot on without mud guards.
>>
>>1095093
>But I'm kind of wondering if the stiff touring tires, even at 42mm, would be more comfortable than the current 28mm road tires.

Don't get RideTour then. get, for example Panaracer Pari-moto or WTB Horizon.
>>
>>1094543
don't spend money on that bike
best case scenario, you get a chromoly rigid 90s mtb and swap components.
something like a peuguot orient express would be sick.
>>
>>1095624
Pair of ridetours is like 18€. Pair of those WTBs is like 90€. If it turns out I don't like the ride, it would be a pretty expensive experiment.
>>
>>1095737
Tires are by far the most important component on a bike mane. Worst thing to cheap out on.
>>
Put my fenders back on the bike. Had to take them off a while back because I destroyed the front one by riding into a beer can, which then jammed between the front tire and the fender.

They rattle and clunk like motherfuckers now. Everybody hears me coming like I'm on a dumpster bike. Almost destroyed the front fender AGAIN by dropping down slowly from a curb. The front fender caught on the edge, but luckily it had enough flex to not ruin my ride.

>>1095751
Indeed, but I could just get some nice 700c tires as a safe bet. I don't know if I'm going to like the 650b thing, so I was thinking of a cheap experiment.
>>
>>1095756
Maybe you should repair them before reinstalling them
>>
>>1095762
I fixed the mangled front fender. Now the noise is coming from where the metal supports meet the plastic fender, mostly in the rear. I'm not sure what to do about it, I could just glue it in place, but would that last?
>>
>>1095584
i wanna build a bike, whats it take, besides money and some knowledge
>>
>>1095850
Nothing in the world takes more than money and knowledge.
>>
File: 20170731_154324.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170731_154324.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1083159
>Here's what you're up against. The 25 miles of major elevation on that ride might be your biggest hurdle.
I just did the C&O/GAP ride.
I found the mud south of Cumberland to be a bigger challenge.
There are miles with no gravel, just pure mud.
It was like riding in a 2" deep pond.

The other thing is the PawPaw detour.
The tunnel's closed, so you have to go up and over the mountain they dug the tunnel through.
It's only a mile and a half, but it's way too steep and treacherous to ride with a touring load, I had to push my bike almost the entire way.
Oh, and some retard put up a cryptic detour sign a mile and a half before the real detour: "Tow Path Closed 1.5 Miles Ahead, Use Detour".
But they put the sign right next to a side trail.
Ok, if the side trail is the detour (it wasn't), why no arrow?
If the side trail isn't the detour, why put the sign right there?
Just ignore the sign.
>>
>>1086861
That's literally the opposite of bikepacking. Bikepacking is backpacking innawoods but on a bike. You cook your own food and sleep in a tent.
>>
>>1096081
well, some people think the bags define the style but yeh
>>
>>1096085
As recent events have shown, some people believe they're being cyberstalked over several years by table top role-playing outcasts from a certain Chinese provincial capital too. Let's not get too hung up on the weird shit people believe.

The activity described (light backing, sleeping in hotels/hostels, provisioning on the road) is commonly referred to as CC (credit card) touring.
>>
>>1096094
Oh, but if you (accurately) call it that, >>1086861 will assume that you're insulting him. He'll feel so much more badass if he thinks of himself as a bikepacker.
>>
>>1096094
>>1096099
>light packing, hostels, etc.
People do that all over the world and call it backpacking.

On my tour, I stayed in a few inns along the way, *and also* camped by the side of the road sometimes.

Stop being pedantic dickholes about things that radically don't matter.
>>
File: Vaga020 toit du monde (1).jpg (186KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
Vaga020 toit du monde (1).jpg
186KB, 1200x630px
I thought 'bike-packing' was the cyclist equivalent of wilderness backpacking, as pictured, not the cyclist equivalent of international backpacking.

If so, is any cycling trip that lasts for more than one day and doesn't end where it started a bikepacking trip?
>>
>>1096115
>I thought 'bike-packing' was the cyclist equivalent of wilderness backpacking, as pictured, not the cyclist equivalent of international backpacking.
You were right. The other anon is just confused about two similar sounding names having dissimilar meanings. The backpacking version of cycling is a tour. Bikepacking is hiking.
>>
>>1096110
european backpacking is travel backpacking, us backpacking is wilderness backpacking
why are you so upset? It matters because the two are pretty different things, you want people to understand you when you're talking right?
>>
is there a "touring bible"? i kind of want to do a tour but i don't really know anything about it
>>
>>1095584
needs a triple or a 42 at the back, good luck survivng long climbs with 4 panniers on standard road gearing. Also idk about that saddle, but there is a reason everyone rides a brookes, there great, thats why.
>>
>>1096119
1. Have you ever ridden a bicycle?
2. Have you ever fixed a flat?
3. Have you ever camped?

If you answered 'yes' to all these questions, you can learn most of it by doing, especially if you plan on touring in a location where stealth camping is easy (national forest) or plan to use money instead of ability and/or equipment (credit-card touring).
>>
>>1096119
You don't really need to know anything. It's not very complicated. You just get on a bike and ride. Bring a tent if you want to stay in a tent, otherwise look up a route with lodging. Bring plenty of water.
>>
File: White pine bike trail.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
White pine bike trail.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>1082974
I'm doing this for the first of what I hope is many times as practice for longer trips.
I've never done this much in one day admittedly(60 is my record so far.)
Is this a good warm up?
I want to go on grander trips at some point.
Anyone recommend where to go from Cadillac once that stops being enough?

In case anyone cares to ask, I'm using a $650 raleigh MTB I bought 3 years ago without drop bars, kenda tires, disc brakes and a host of other details I don't care to list.(not a touring bike by design but IDGAF)
>>
File: tips freedom.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
tips freedom.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
>>1083800
>I used a couple Fdroid offline GPS mapping apps to keep track of where I was, my elevation, etc.
my nigga, fuck the botnet
>>
>>1096334
>>1096326
I'm a retard. Let's say you wanted to ride from dallas to austin. So you're riding on a highway most of the time? On the shoulder? Isn't that dangerous? I only ride on neighborhood streets.
>>
>>1096792
>So you're riding on a highway most of the time?
No, no, no.

There are a lot of little roads between Dallas and Austin. Use some of those. By 'little' I mean 'not interstates'. Ride on the shoulders of those roads. 2 minutes on google makes me think you could do a half-decent job of it on 342, 77, 308, 6, 320 and 95.

The only time you should go on an interstate is where there is no other choice. I've gone over 43,000 miles on my bike and that has happened to me in two locations: 1. To access the southern portion of Theodore Roosevelt National Park and 2. To cross the Colombia near Vantage, WA.
>>
File: IMG_20170804_123832.jpg (1MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170804_123832.jpg
1MB, 3120x4160px
>>1095839
Here is my attempt at silencing it. Threaded a piece of old brake cable with the support to make it fit tightly.

Fo you approve thw bodge? Better ideas?
>>
>>1096895
>Fo you approve thw bodge?
Fucking phone keyboard...
>>
File: H bar with Aeros (1).jpg (71KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
H bar with Aeros (1).jpg
71KB, 800x600px
What does /n/ think of A Jones H-Bar with clip on aero bars?
>>
>>1096850
woah, I never knew there were roads like that in the middle of nowhere. that's pretty cool!
>>
File: DSC_0444s.jpg (2MB, 5000x472px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0444s.jpg
2MB, 5000x472px
>>1097174
>in the middle of nowhere

If between Dallas and Austin is the middle of nowhere for you, you haven't see anything yet.
>>
>>1095556
>it's not sold in your country

Kill me now
>>
>>1098157
buy it online then you dink
>>
>>1098158
It would probably be too expensive and I'm not aware of anywhere that would ship it overseas.
>>
>>1098159
where are you from? Loads of european bike stores that carry Fuji ship worldwide and usually isn't very expensive.

Also fuji touring really isn't the bees knees even if it's a great bike. Tire clearance is shit as one reason
>>
>>1098160
>where are you from?
I'm in Japan for a year.

I might get a Jamis Aurora instead. I was also looking at the Araya Touriste but the wheel size (650a) might be an issue when I return.
>>
>>1098161
>"Fuji"
>not sold in Japan
>>
>>1098178
They got bought out and haven't been japanese in 20 years.
>>
Would 50x39x30T with 11-34T be enough for touring very hilly regions?
>>
>>1098949
1. It depends on how strong you are
2. It depends on how big your wheels are
3. It depends on how much stuff you're carrying
4. It depends on your definition of 'very hilly'.

'Very hilly' for me is a trip with an AVERAGE grade of +2% (4000 horizontal kilometers, with 80 vertical km gained (and lost). I did that trip with 48x36x26T and 11-34T. Now I run 44x32x22T with 11-34T (with 700x35 mm wheels) and I've appreciated it a lot, especially on some forest roads.

It's all about gear inches though. I have a minimum of about 18 gear inches (or 21 with my old chainring). With 26x2 inch tires, you're looking at a minimum of about 23. With 700x35 tires like mine, your minimum is around 24.
>>
>>1098978
It looks like I would end up with 24 gear inches. I don't think I can find anything near me that will have less unless I replace half the bike.

Maybe I'll have to find a cheap bike somewhere and replace all the components.
>>
File: 1381156852328.png (1MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1381156852328.png
1MB, 1440x900px
so, I'll be riding for two days.
mostly flat stuff, roads and light gravel.
I'll be packed light with a bar roll and a big saddle pack.

first day will be ~ 150 km and the second 100 km both somwhere aroun 20 - 25 km/h, so nothing to crazy.

how much calories should I aim for ?

my biggest fear is bonking out the second day because I underestimated the calories.
you may think "wtf , just ride and eat" but prior events have taught me that my fuck up threshold for this kind of stuff is extremely low.
>>
>>1099356
calories, really? you're probably not getting enough carbs, bring more gels and fruit
>>
File: Capture.png (323KB, 1366x634px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
323KB, 1366x634px
doing my first serious tour next week, from Brockville to Quebec City, through Ottawa and Montreal. 6 days of biking planned with an extra day as a buffer.

Has anyone done this route before? Its pretty populated so we'll be picking up food and water most days and staying in hostels in Ottawa and Quebec city. The rest of the time we plan to camp, either designated or stealth
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 79

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.