[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have noticed that for like a week after I lube my chain, my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

File: 81-pDGY5z8L._SL1500_[1].jpg (134KB, 656x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81-pDGY5z8L._SL1500_[1].jpg
134KB, 656x1500px
I have noticed that for like a week after I lube my chain, my bike is actually HARDER to ride.

I don't know if I'm lubing it incorrectly or something, I wipe it down before lubing then lube. But seriously for the first week or 30 miles or so while the gears change more smoothly it's actually harder to pedal. Then from miles say 30 to 150 its way easier to ride even though the gears change way harder by the end
>>
What the fuck
>>
>>1080441
>>
File: Dumonde-Tech-Lite.png (324KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Dumonde-Tech-Lite.png
324KB, 900x900px
>>1080440
You need to clean your chain properly and thoroughly before lubing it. Also what was the last time you pulled off your cassette and cleaned it, and pulled off your crankset and thoroughly cleaned the chainrings (which may require disassembling them from the cranks)? You can't expect a dirty drivetrain to perform properly, and just throwing some lube at it won't do it.

Also I've used the lube in your pic and didn't like it, I prefer pic related instead.
>>
It's just in your head...
>>
>>1080502
i dont think it is in my head. its happened every time i lube after 100-150 miles. for the first 20-30 miles i ride objectively slower and it feels much harder. its almost like the lube has to work its way through the gears or something
>>
File: ChainPartNames.jpg (74KB, 838x656px) Image search: [Google]
ChainPartNames.jpg
74KB, 838x656px
>>1080547
if you didn't clean the grime/dirt off the chain with a degreaser (not dish soap, degreaser) before applying lubricant, then the introduced liquid will let the dirt seep between the pins/plates/rollers causing internal friction and accelerated wear until it can somewhat dry/gunk up.
>>
>>1080440
It shouldn't be. But here's the correct process:
>Use wet lube (dry is a meme; you're supposed to wipe the lube off anyway, so wet lube won't make your chain dirty; if you insist on dry, at least get Dumonde Lite)
>Clean chain (if it's only slightly dirty, this isn't entirely necessary because when you wipe off the lube that'll help clean the chain)
>Apply lube to full length of chain
>Let sit for 10 minutes to sink in
>Wipe off outside of chain, get all of the lube off. This should take a few minutes, you want to be thorough. Leaving lube on chain will just make it get dirty, and the point of lube is to sink into the internals, not sit on the outside of the chain.
>>
>>1080502
Probably right
>>1080556
Otherwise this is probably right
>>
>>1080588
I used 5w30 to lube a timing chain on a k24/k20 honda engine that spun up to 9000RPM with a gareett t3/t4 hybrid turbo charger on it

if that oil is capable of lubing a fucking timing chain (the thing that keeps my falves from slamming into my piston at speeds that can kill a man"

it can fucking keep a bike chain from rusting
>>
>>1080588
If wet lube doesn't make my chain dirty, then why does my chain get dirty when I use wet lube and not when I use dry lube?
>>
File: squirt.jpg (53KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
squirt.jpg
53KB, 1000x1000px
>try out Squirt on my new bike and early 80s bike
>new bikes chain is completely silent now, feels smooth
>old bike is just as loud as it was
>realize I'm not shifting as much or able to get up to speed
>look at drivetrain
>chain is covered in thick black sludge
>sludge has smeared itself over everything the chain has touched
>I assume the lube cleaned out nearly 40 years of gunk in the chain

Is this normal? Should I soak the chain in motor oil or degreaser at this point?
>>
Eh, nothing a thick brush and citrus degreaser won't take care of.
>>
>>1080691
meant for >>1080688 obv
>>
>>1080688
spray chain down w/ WD-40, brush clean, let dry
then re-apply squirt
>>
>>1080688
Throw it out and get a new one, chains are like $20 dollars.
>>
>>1080671
wet or dry lube doesn't make your chain dirty. dirt sticks to wet lube more than dry lube
>>
>>1080789
but his lbs will sucker him into buying a new drivetrain just like that guy who got suckered in /bqg/
>>
>>1080588
>Apply lube to full length of chain
LOL no, WTF are you talking about?
You apply HALF A DROP to each roller and THAT'S ALL. You don't need to soak the entire goddamned chain in lube, that's a gigantic waste.
You also spin the cranks slowly for a few minutes so it works it's way in. THEN you let it sit for a while, THEN you wipe it down with a paper towel or shop rag with a little solvent on it (NOT water based degreaser crap, actual SOLVENT).

>>1080597
>5w30
Oh FFS stop that meme.
Motor oil is intended to be pumped around in a closed-system pressurized oiling system; it's SUPPOSED to run off everything. You put it on a bike chain, it just flys off everywhere after one minute of riding, getting all over everything, making a huge mess, and NOT staying on the chain. Chain lube on the other hand is relatively thick and thinned with a solvent that evaporates AFTER it penetrates into the the moving parts of the chain, so it STAYS for a long time.

>>1080671
You can't keep your chain clean forever, get over it. Or if it keeps you awake at night get some city bike with a driveshaft instead of a chain, or a belt drive that you never lube.
>>
>>1080688
The only thing you should ever use to clean a chain is pic related or similar; REAL solvent, not any water-based garbage. Do NOT use 'motor oil' or 'engine degreaser' or anything else to clean a chain unless you want to ruin it.

>>1080749
NEVER use WD40 on ANY part of a bike, especially any part of the drivetrain. WD40 is only good for door hinges that squeak and shit like that.
>>
Lube is called wet or dry because it was made for those conditions. If you live in a fucking desert, are going to use wet or dry lube?

If you live in Florida this month, ya think I'd want wet lube huh?

Yaaaahhhh
>>
>>1081175
Talks about solvents

Uses solvents with same ingredient as WD40

Hates WD40
>>
>>1081175
WD40 is to clean lube off of parts.
If used like that, it's great.

The 'anti wd40' meme comes from moms trying to use it as a lubricant.
>>
>>1081175
Im going to start spraying the shit out of my bikes with WD-40 to see people wince.

I've heard bike store sales man bad mouth WD-40 to the point where the buyer asked, "what happens if I accidentally get a drop of WD-40 on my bike? Do I take it into to you guys immediately to prevent damage?!"

I'm going to sit there on a group ride and WD-40 the fuck out of the cassette, chain crank...put it on w rag and wipe down the seat post and all that shit
>>
>>1081181
The o ly lubrication I use is 100% snake oil

Because my bike deserves the absolute best.

Snake oil prevents rust forever, makes it run like new and actually generates power I gained 1-2 watts by using it!!!
>>
5w30:

+Keeps my car lubricated. Way more power, heat, pressure a d rpm than a bicycle.

+ Keeps my ar-15 lubricated and rust free. Way more pressure, heat, metal on metal contact than my bicycle

+ Keeps my bike chain rust free

+ Use it as air compressor motor oil instead of compressor engine oil

+ Coat my lathe and drill press in it instead of.cosmoline.as a rust inhibitor.

+ Use it as tool oil for inside of air tools
>>
>>1081198
before I ride I take rattlesnake venom intravenous (just 5mcg) and fill my flask full of snakes blood

I could catch a bullet with my teeth
>>
>>1081204

And after driving 5 minutes you have collected enough dirt in your chain to start growing potatoes on it.
>>
>>1081195
that's what i do every week, wd40 to clean the chain, lube it up after it dried off wipe off excess before ride.
>>
>>1080440
chain lube is such a fucking meme. any generic synthetic machine oil will do. the chains pretty much clean themselves if they are lubricated all you have to do is wipe off the grime from time to time for better aesthetics.
>>
>>1081204
Fuck you, Sieg. Fuck off, Sieg.
>>
i'm thinking really hard if when i used wd40 on the chain and cassette and crankset to clean them did any of it get on anywhere near a bearing? i think i was a bit careless considering how wd40 can creep in anywhere.

should i just take it to a bike shop for a complete cleaning and re-greasing to be sure?
>>
File: 814512941_7574711ef7_b.jpg (206KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
814512941_7574711ef7_b.jpg
206KB, 1024x576px
>>1081198
I just run over snakes until enough oil splashes onto the chain to lube it.
>>
>>1081596
heh, they can't fucking integrated bearings...
>>
>>1081600
at least it says do not disassemble but i found plenty vids on youtube how to disassemble clean and regrease them. shimano hollowtech ii i think.
>>
>>1081174
Is 80W gearbox oil ok?
>>
File: 9c4uU4B.jpg (367KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
9c4uU4B.jpg
367KB, 1920x1080px
>>1080440
what he said >>1080502

Your chain is lubed immediately after you wipe and lube, what you are feeling is some "fred placebo" affect, in latin it is called "fredus placebo itis"

Your getting warmed up on a ride and you think the chain has something to do with it.

Man up and ride.
>>
>>1081197
The funniest shit is I actually unironically use wd40 on my chain as lube if there is no rain. I've told people at group rides when it's came up and they always think I'm joking. I can't imagine their reactions if they realized the truth after I wound it up to 500 watts for 3 minutes and cracked them all off my wheel with wdfucking40 on my chain.
>>
>>1081174
>HALF A DROP

lmao how the hell is someone supposed to portion out HALF A DROP
>>
>>1082129
drop some on one roller then spread it to the next.
>>
>>1081181
>>1080749
>forgets meme arrows
>>1081175
no it's a good idea
stfu
>>
Racing this evening, vid related do this before every single race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJIqI43ls2I
>>
>>1082371
>dubyaDfoty on blastic
ishggydiggy
>>
>>1082371
I too lubricate my rims before a race.
>>
>>1080440
>>1082426
Please no Billy me
>>
File: Zero Friction.jpg (22KB, 251x679px) Image search: [Google]
Zero Friction.jpg
22KB, 251x679px
I used break cleaner and Zero Friction gun oil yesterday. Worked bretty gud
>>
>>1082426
it only stands to reason if you disable the breaks you go faster
>>
>>1081174
>paper towel
>>1082289
>one roller then spread it to the next.

topkek, don't listen to this guy, he's a troll.
>>
I think you would hardly notice a difference between motorcycle chain grease and the lightest of bike chain lube.

There must be other factors at work here.
>>
>>1080556
>Degreaser
Congratulations, you ruined your chain
>>
>>1081175
WD40 is great for all sorts of things. It's a fantastic frame cleaner, for one.
>>
>>1085427
You forgot your name, seig.
>>
>>1085427
degreasers do not dissolve metal nignog
>>
>buy new chain
>leave factory grease on
>replace chain once it's worn off
once it's worn off it's probably time for a new chain anyway unless you live in the fucking amazon
>>
>>1085445
That's right, they flush grease out of places where it is required.
>>
Wash chain in any old household dish washing detergent, its a degreaser.

Dry with cloth

Apply WD40 to drive out remaining water

Dry with cloth

Apply a MOTORBIKE chainlube, not the shit stuff they sell in cycle shops

If you get horrid black shit everywhere from the lube, you're using TOO MUCH

Bike faggots are the worst.
>>
>>1085561
This is pretty accurate. I'd recommend using a stronger degreaser than washing detergent, and instead use the detergent + some clean water to get out the degreaser.

>>1085498
Yep. That's exactly what degreaser does. Which is why, after using it, you wash it out and then relube the chain.
>>
>>1085562

Yea dish soap ain't great but does the job well enough if you have a scrub with a toothbrush too.

Just rinse off well, it contains salts that you don't want to leave hanging about
>>
>>1085564
I have a pair of nail brushes that I run the chain through. I'll probably get a chain scrubbing tool one day.
>>
>>1085561
motorcycles have O-rings in their chains

something cycles don't need

so the reason why motorcycle lube is more expensive is because it doesn't ear away rubber

"it's more expensive therefore it's better doesn't apply in this case"
>>
>>1085581

Motorcycles mostly have x rings unless you ride a moped

It's stickier and lasts longer than cycle lube

Besides, at $10 for a 1 litre can that lasts me a year with 2 motorbikes and a cycle who cares about cost?
>>
>clean with soap and sponge
>clean with brake cleaner
>clean cassete and chainrings with brake cleaner
>clean chain with acetone
>apply gearbox oil (80W)
>whipe off excess oil
>clean cassette and chainrings with paper towel

Is there anything I do wrong?

I think about mixing some parrafin wax to the oil to make it more sticky to the metal and less to dirt.
>>
>>1085880
Don't add paraffin just use detergent motor oil
>>
>>1085562
>He thinks he can get the lubricant back in there!
>He thinks metal is completely impervious to any type of chemical reaction!
The world's largest manufacturer of chains recommends against the use of degreaser. What expertise do you have that causes you to disagree?
http://www.kmcchain.eu/MAINTENANCE
>>
>>1086025

>chain bearings
>degreaser and chain washer machine instantly ruin your chain
>spray lube on your hand
>apply grease only on rollers
>then apply it everywhere
>lube your chainring, cassette and pulley wheels

wtf is this shit?
>>
>>1086025
I think there's a big difference between being told not to use degreaser and being told not to dip the chain in degreaser.

Just like they don't advice against using solvent, on a cloth it's fine but in a chain washing machine it isn't.
>>
>>1086107
Yeah, it's a recommendation not to soak the thing.
The pros (or rather, their mechanics, pros don't usually work on their own race bikes) use degreaser on chains regularly, so at the very least they don't degrade performance. If you think about what would degrade performance, it also means that it wouldn't degrade the lifetime of the chain either.
>>
>>1081175
>NEVER use WD40 on ANY part of a bike

It's a water displacer.
Use it to displace water from the chain after riding in rain or snow, wait for it to evaporate and apply lube.
>>
>>1086025
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/how-to-clean-a-bicycle-chain-46131/

It shouldn't really matter, even with heavy solvents.

inb4 I ask Sram and they'll just tell me to throw it into a bucket of kerosene.
>>
I used to use motor oil for my bike chain, but it causes mad grunge buildup. Initially it works amazing, until the dust starts sticking to it. Personally I've never even heard anyone talk about lubing motorcycle chains, so I would say, "use whatever you can to reduce friction most, and make your bike easiest to pedal".
>>
>>1087624
At this point I would almost just recommend using motor oil, and just buying a new chain when you think you should due to grime.
>>
>My 'little and often' routine
Hose down the chain with water
Run the chain through a clean rag, then spin the cranks very fast to get the chain dry
Apply one drop of dry lubricant (wet lube only comes out for seriously wet off-road rides) on each roller on the bottom run of the chain
Wipe off any excess
Ideally you do this after a ride so the lube can soak in before your next ride

My MTBs get a lube after pretty much ever ride unless it's bone dry. Road bike gets it once every week or two unless it's wet. This isn't enough to save a neglected chain, but If you do this from new, they never collect much contamination. Every other cleaning, I'll attend to chainring, cassette and pulley wheels with some WD-40 on a rag. If the chain is unusually dirty, I'll give it some too, before I start my normal routine.
>>
>>1087624
fine machine oil works very well to make everything clean and spin nicely. but you have to clean the chain often because it builds up grime fast. dry lube might be less messy, but whatever. it's not that much of an issue re-lubing the chain after every ride or two depending on the dirt it got.
>>
>>1087624
>>1088612
Sewing machine oil is great for bicycle chains
>>
I do it like this:
>put chan in jar
>add 2-stroke mix (1:50) to degrease and clean chain
>shake
>let chain dry
>chain will not rust because of oil in the mix
>mix up BB-grease with 5W40 motor-oil
>apply on dry chain
>let is soak in
>clean chain
>>
I just get some kitchen paper and wipe off the excess grime from my chain after every ride. And when the internals look a little dry I lube it a bit more.

Of course I still do a full clean now and then, this is just to stop my rings getting covered in more crap than they need to. Chain lifetime matters less than the cogs.
>>
>>1087782
actually when you hose it down before wiping it you can put dirt into the chain.

instead wipe it down with soft cloth sprayed with wd40.

i only use wet lube i rather redo the chain after every ride than to let dirt stay in the chain and crap it up even tho it's not yet squeaky because of the graphite or teflon.
>>
i tried some wd40 on a toothbrush to clean off chain and sprockets, well the result was not very good. stuff remained somewhat mucky until went over with a rag, and of course the fucking thing went everywhere even on the disk so i had to clean that too with some window cleaner.
>>
File: 1420541030036.jpg (91KB, 640x400px)
1420541030036.jpg
91KB, 640x400px
>>1090776
>wd40
>window cleaner
>>
>>1090810
wd40 is good for getting grease and muck off. window cleaner is isopropyl alcohol mostly. there is nothing weird about it. it's the brush that disappointed me.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.