[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Great plains bros.. The wind man, how do you deal with the wind.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: Map_of_the_Great_Plains.png (138KB, 1000x618px) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_the_Great_Plains.png
138KB, 1000x618px
Great plains bros..

The wind man, how do you deal with the wind. I swear to god any direction i travel, theres a 10-20 mph headwind.
>>
Im doing the bike across kansas right now.

There is nothing you can do. Being so far inland winds change as the day heats up. Its not uncommon to have 20+mph winds in all directions at some point in the day
>>
Last month and a half has been hell. Early mornings the wind tends to be lighter if you can get up at 4 or 5 am.
>>
We have 60kmh wind for months here mostly everyday. Living on a subtropical volcanic island and stuff...

Today its been AWFUL and Ive done 90km. Just deal with it and dont use deep section wheels.
>>
>>1080478
>deep section wheels
>heavy winds
They're nice until you get into sidewinds
>>
>>1080420
all you can do is just grin and bear it, man.
>>
>>1080420
that and the roads are boring as fuck. have no ambition to ride.
>>
File: 000_arp2229812_600.jpg (37KB, 512x339px) Image search: [Google]
000_arp2229812_600.jpg
37KB, 512x339px
>>1080420

you are like a littel baby
>>
File: airstryke_4.jpg (34KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
airstryke_4.jpg
34KB, 500x400px
>>1080420

Serious answer though: I'd consider slapping some Profile Airstryke bars on your bike.

The pads flip up so you can still use the flats on your road bike. Top tube length on a correctly sized MTB would render them useless, but there are MTB-specific aero bars out there too

Besides that, obviously tight and getting those bars as low as you are comfy with will both help

There's also aero tri helmets if you have no shame

I would look into tri bike fitting when using airstrykes. I can't get the fit quiet right on my road bike without goofing up the standard bar positions. A straight-up triathlon bike might be worth getting
>>
>>1080538
>Besides that, obviously tight

*tight clothing
>>
>>1080535
Pretty much. I live in a town with ~10-30 miles of bike paths, so thats kinda fun, but real exhausting more than once a week.

>>1080507
I know. Need to lose weight, probably half the battle. 240 on an old 10 spd puegot averaging 13mph over 20 miles.. on flat ground with 10-20 mph wind.
>>
>>1080535
>either have to drag my car out to the trails with me or ride on shit roads with my nice bike
>have maxed out all the trail distances
>>
>>1080538
>I can't get the fit quiet right on my road bike without goofing up the standard bar positions

what kind of issues are you having that messes with your base bar position?
>>
This map misses MN... my town is the second windiest city in the US after dodge city KS

I know suffering
>>
>>1080485
You missed the word "don't".

>>1080595
It's a map of the Great Plains, not a map of "where it's windy".
>>
>>1080420
>any direction i travel, theres a headwind
Happens to me too.
>>
>>1080420
Wind on the Great Plains is a wonderful cheap resource. Wind farms in Wyoming, Colorado, etc. are what are killing coal and oil. Pedaling a little harder should be worth it to cut carbon emissions.
>>
>>1080577

With my bike/body, the aero bars are set too far away without swapping for a shorter stem. Appears to be a common issue with road bikes using tri aero bars

I've found a compromise that works for me. I only mount them for century rides as a chill bar resting position, using roughly 10% of the ride
>>
File: tmp_5451-vdsRWfr-425480768.jpg (32KB, 400x572px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_5451-vdsRWfr-425480768.jpg
32KB, 400x572px
Everything I've read it's that aero gains are all about the rider's body, not the bike

You need to get as so as you are comfortable with, and wear Lycra. There's no other easy gains to be had. An expensive aero road frame is an option but it's nothing compared to getting low and not needed unless you are serious af roadie

If you are upright and shameless there are aero fairings out there, might be worth looking into. Pic related
>>
>>1080970

Here's the zzipper page you wanna see
http://www.zzipper.com/Products/prod_upright.php
>>
>>1080420
I pussied out yesterday and didn't ride in 35 mph winds with 50 mph gusts (after I had made it home from work).

The way to deal with it is well put by >>1080507 . When I lived in the Willamette valley, I convinced myself that I enjoyed riding in the rain. I'm not at the point where I'm looking forward to a headwind, but at least it doesn't make me angry any more.
>>
Recumbent or velomobile
>>
>>1080964
Yeah, I don't think OP wanted to figure out how to stop the wind, but rather how to live with the wind as it is.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.