[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bicycle Maintenance Costs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1492809481902.png (119KB, 441x400px) Image search: [Google]
1492809481902.png
119KB, 441x400px
I've just moved to the downtown area of my city and am interested in owning a bike to keep the miles off my car. Can anyone tell me how much it costs to maintain a bike each month?
>>
>>1080281
Litertally nothing unless you're getting daily punctures. At most you'll need an extra tube, maybe a small pump incase you get a puncture on the road and some degreaser and lube to clean your drive train when it gets nasty. Everything listed can be had for no more than $50 and it will last you quite some time.
>>
Most of the cost of maintaining a bike is upfront in tools, lubricants, degreaser, spare tube, pump and stuff to wash it with.
Clean your drivetrain now and then and keep it lubed and that's most of the maintenance you'll have to do.

You may want to get more durable tyres. They'll be more puncture resistant.
>>
>>1080281
>clean and oil chain
>sprocket(s)/chainring(s) teeth still good?
>brake pads
>tires/tubes
>derailleur calibration
>wheel true to circle
Cost nothing to maintain a bike compared to a car. Real issue in cost will be in food and meeting your increased caloric intake...
>>
>>1080281

Depends a bit on the bike and how much you ride.

I spend about $300/year on wear parts and maintenance. Bar tape, tires, tubes, chains, cogs, brake pads, etc
and maybe another $300/year on cycling-specific clothing. Gloves are something I replace at least annually, for example.
>>
>>1080373
For simply commuting that's far too much. Most commuters will just need to replace the chain/pads/cables most years assuming proper maintenance and they won't have cycling specific clothing. Well under $100 I'd say, which is still generous.
>>
>>1080376
Still, I pay more than that just on basic insurance for my old truck, not even including actual maintenance or gas
>>
>>1080378
Yep, autos are money pits
>>
>>1080322
this

i started driving first 3 days a week and now 6 days a week and the last two hours of my ride my mental faculties all focus on what food i want to eat
>>
>>1080281
I pay about $150 a month in bike related fees.
>>
>>1080418
Jesus why?
>>
Hey OP not just maintenance fees, and gas fees, but also think about the money you will save with parking if you are around paid parking places

Like for me personally, I take the subway to work and I park my bike at the station. Parking a car there costs $3/day, but my subway station has these private bike cages you activate with a key card and it costs 5 cents an hour. I will pay the same amount to park for a week as most people do per day.
>>
>>1080376
>For simply commuting that's far too much.

I don't just commute.
>>
>>1080512
I can tell, but that's what OP was asking about.
>>
>>1080418
quit baiting the OP
>>
>>1080281
Paying someone to maintain you bike is like paying someone to fuck your wife, go watch some RJ The Bike Guy videos on youtube, FFS.
>>
Yo OP,
All you need to do is grease your chain and gears when they start to feel off or like they're slowing you down. You shouldn't have to replace your brakes or other parts for yeeeears. Once in a while give your bike a tuneup, which just consists of readjusting certain parts with some common tools. Bike maintanence is cheeeeeap as long as you're not some power biker like a lot of the guys on this forum. Obviously if you go on 20 mile rides every day through all kinds of terrain, pushing yourself to the limit, your bike will need more care.
>>
>>1080281
Like an average?

Average of $20 each month.

If you setup a fund for bike repair and just deposit $20 each month

You'll never be short.money to fix a bike.

And if it gets to be high enough just buy a new bike then keep it up
>>
>>1080379
Nah, you're just below poverty

Dude honestly, just go move in with your parents if you can't afford basic shit
>>
>>1080552
>he doesn't understand the subtle joys of cuckoldry

Jesus, man. It's like you don't even want to raise a better man's children as your own. But not, because they're made of superior genetic material.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.