[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cheap vs expensive helmets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: 93605101_xl_a1.jpg (38KB, 717x717px) Image search: [Google]
93605101_xl_a1.jpg
38KB, 717x717px
I never got why so many people buy those 149$ helmets when my 15$ helmet has same ventilation/weight/impact resistance.

Pic related
>>
>>1079816
You're right about impact resistance but more expensive helmets are more lightweight and better ventilated 99% of the time.
>>
The inlays in cheap helmets are usually 3 strips of foam held by velcro stickers that unstick after 3 washings and the straps are often impossible to adjust to be comfortable.
Not saying all of them are like that or that there aren't expensive ones that do that, but it's the general rule.
>>
>>1079829
wait.. you wash your helmet?
>>
>>1079832
You wash the paddings, silly goose
>>
>>1079832
Do you not sweat?
>>
>>1079832
lysol
>>
>>1079829
>he washes his helmet
>probably doesn't wash his kit until it's ready to get up and walk away on it's own
LOL I don't know anyone who 'washes their helmet' for any reason. It's probably not even a good thing that you do this, you're probably damaging it by 'washing' it, getting the impact-absorbing styrofoam all waterlogged and useless. Don't do that anymore.
>>
>>1079878
>he doesn't know anyone that rides
>>
I got a carnac podium sl for ~ 15€ in one of those ( very frequent) planet x sales.
beter then my specialized propero.

they have a pleasigl small silouette
>>
>>1079878
>LOL I don't know anyone who 'washes their helmet' for any reason.
i wash the sweat stripes after every ride with my gloves and clothes. i got a kross tidal back when i had a kross bike and kept the helmet because i found it alright.
>>
>>1079857
>lysol
wtf you don't want the salt build up in anything that touches your skin even if it was enough to disinfect the stripes. not a very good idea. wash your bike stuff without fabric softener tho!
>>
>washing your helmet
wtf is this a new meme
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (182KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
182KB, 1920x1080px
>>1080918
pretty old meme t.b.h. lad
>>
I wear a skateboarder helmet. My purchasing decision was 'What looks robust and cheap and fits my head?' I didn't realize it was for skateboarding until later.

It's a really stout helmet, almost like a motorcycle crash helmet, it fits really well, it looks vaugely like a CHiPs motorcycle cop helmet, even has a visor. Also I plan to use it as a ski helmet and hope nobody notices. I'm cheap with my hobbies like that.
>>
the only features i can think off worth paying more for is a MIPS liner, goggle clips, and if it's got a decent camera mount.
>>
>>1079818
i would say newer helmets are fucking light. it's not about the expensiveness it's about the production year. my helmet is 3 years old feels like it weight a ton compared to the current models.
>>
>wearing a helmet
>>
>>1079818
This, and more comfortable.
>>1079832
Paddings can be removed and washed with water or in washing machine
>>
>>1082794
I read this extended post by a EMT responder discussing how wearing a bike helmet is just trading one set of risks for another, scared the shit out of me and I've been hesitant to wear one ever since
>>
>>1080803
>i wash the sweat stripes after every ride
Wait, you are supposed to do that?
Shit, I don't wash mine. They don't smell or anything
>>
>>1082853
salt can irritate your skin after a while if you sweat it evaporates but leaves behind the crap and salt.
>>
>>1079878
hi sieg
>>
>>1082823
this logic never made sense to me. whatever risks you are being "traded" by using a bike helmet are inherently less severe than the risks of riding without a helmet. Maybe doing the shit phil kmetz does with a helmet doesn't necessarily mean he's "safe" by any means, but he's safer with a helmet than without.
>>
>>1082823
It's simply important to realise that a helmet only protects your skull.
>>
>>1083075
helmets can easily kill you, one example is if the car runs you over but you would survive because it was not a hit just falling before a car and the panicking driver speeds away. a helmet can get stuck between the ground and the chassis and literally twist your head off. happened to a bike cop not so long ago.

but as a biker you are most likely to hit your head into something hard if you fall as far as head injuries go. even a relatively small hit to the head can result in leaving you drooling this is easily solved by helmets. more likely that you break your arms or legs or ribs than hitting your head tho.
>>
>>1083086
that just seems like a crazy outlier incident that could've ended up in any number of ways. I mean if a car is rolling over you, the dice is cast man and you're either gonna make it or you aren't. I understand what happened but in regards to helmets "opening you up to other risks", i feel like that statement is misleading. it's like saying ejector seats aren't safe because they can break your back and arms. sure, they can, and probably will, but it's the safest alternative to a worse situation.
>>
I got some $150 helmet on sale for $50, nicest helmet I've ever owned. The thing's got soo many holes; it's more holes than helmet. Love it.
>>
>>1083097
>the dice is cast
It's "the die is cast".. Die is singular, dice is plural, and yes I know people usually say dice for both anyway. It's (probably a mistranslation of) something Julius Caesar said while crossing the Rubicon river and beginning a civil war in 49BC - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/the_die_is_cast. Have a nice day.
>>
i neber where a helmet. what is the likely hood i will die this year? i ride 20km a day and 80 on weekends (highway.!)
>>
>>1083147
i also live in russia if this helps estimation.
>>
>>1083147
>russia

100%
>>
>>1079816
>5$ helmet has same ventilation/weight/impact resistance.
Not really.
Generally, all helmets have to pass the same requirements for saftey. so GENERALLY they're all just as safe. But there's exceptions, such as stuff like MIPS that costs more but increases the saftey. Also for mountain bikers, full face helmets do cost more, but do offer more coverage, thus more protection.

As far as weight and ventilation, it's not even close. No shit a 200 dollar helmet weighs significantly less than a 15 dollar one. Ventilation is generally better too, because what the helmet is made out of is better and stronger, they can use less of that material, and have more ventilation while being just as strong/protective.

You're also missing out stuff like fit, quality of pads/straps, adjustability, aerodynamics, etc

having said that you really dont need to spend more than 100 bux on a helmet. a 60-70 dollar one is totally enough for 99% of cyclists
>>
>>1083097
>I mean if a car is rolling over you, the dice is cast man and you're either gonna make it or you aren't.
most people not wearing a helmet survive it easily tho. the pressure under the tires is not that great and the human body is resilient. trucks usually make meat pate out of you of course.
>>
>>1083170
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW13nQ95zW0
>>
none of the $15 tier helmets fit my mutant giant head. finally found one for $80 that did the trick. ive had it since 2012 so maybe i should replace it soonish (no impacts yet).

>>1082792
real shit? not that mine feels heavy or uncomfortable by any means, but this sounds awesome
>>
>>1083147
>>1083148

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmLKkKgcz_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV20FSkjrsU

Russian traffic is hardcore. I would go with one all the time there, and treat most areas like offroad.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.