[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Model vs real trains?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: my train set.jpg (719KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
my train set.jpg
719KB, 1200x800px
Is it better to hunt down trains to video tape them or to make models of your favriote locomotives
>>
>>1079705
Both are fun yet buying the models are very expensive, isn't it Joe?
>>
File: MY TRAIN.jpg (303KB, 1024x603px) Image search: [Google]
MY TRAIN.jpg
303KB, 1024x603px
>>1079710
well we can't buy a GP40 Union Pacific Locomotive (My favorite engine)
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/13141378
>>
>>1079705
The last couple of decades of railroading don't interest me nearly as much as the 1960s and 1970s so I prefer model trains.
>>
>>1079712
Old geeps are actually pretty cheap.

http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds/classified.php?id=18274

They're asking ~$340k for a 38-2 in running condition.
>>
>>1079705
If you like the control and order, perfectly planned model might work better for you.

If you're after the might and power, nothing beats seeing the real deal up close.

But if you ask what is better to others, then the society benefits from what you're best at. If you make good videos, you can brink joy to others. If you excel at modeling, you can use that skill and models for both entertainment and some practical applications.
>>
>>1079712
The real thing I see? Obviously you can't anyway.
>>
>>1079705
Buy them. Buy them all.
>>
I'm the buyfag from the normal model train threads. Taking over a family business next year that after tax will leave me with 200k/yr.

Currently looking into all the laws and sheet but planning to get a loco and a passengar car to restore. So many old logging rails in the West that a person could spent a lifetime exploring them.

Been starting to study rail schedules to see when the normal lines operate.

Even if it never turns to something ill always dream about rolling down the rails smoking my pipe and seeing the endless miles of this great country. Though I imagine tobacco will be illegal by then.
>>
Filming.

More people besides you are likely to see and appreciate videos, if they are posted on Youtube.

Also, it's less expensive than modeling.
>>
File: snowpiercer-532d97dded389.jpg (515KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
snowpiercer-532d97dded389.jpg
515KB, 1000x562px
HO scale trainset of pic related when?
>>
>>1080199
Hauling a private car on Amtrak isn't THAT expensive. Like $2/route mile. What is expensive is the switching, storage, and insurance costs.
>>
>>1080216

My area has lots of rail feeding old factories/derelict buildings that sell for cheap. Making for storage. I think UP charges around 500/mo to store a car if you decide to go that route. I think amtrak has a 500-1k charge to connect vs unconnect.

Really isn't all that bad compared to owning a motorhome.
>>
>>1080211

That movie was shockingly gruesome. It's unlikely that a product line from that movie will share a store shelf with the polar express set.

>Main characters casually talking about cannibalism, eating babies in particular because apparently their meat is the sweetest
>>
>>1080249
>$500/month to store a car
That's VERY cheap. Too cheap in fact. Most railroads have something like a $20-30/day storage charge.
>>
>>1079705
>2012
>not machining functional scale replicas
>>
>>1079732
This although with 1st gen diesels.

>be 16 in 1985
>join local MR club
>listen in awe to the older guys talk about working on the last FM Train Masters, H16-44's, Baldwins, high-hood GP9's, F-units, etc 10-15 yrs earlier.
>become budding railroad photographer with old 35mm film camera
>2015, show teenagers pics of SD40-2's and SW9's & SW1200RS's, and the odd C-424 that rarely passed thru back then.
>they're look in awe and ask for more pics.
Ah holy christ... i'm one of those old guys now!
Word of advice to current generation: take lots of pic no matter how boring or uninteresting. Spurs, signs, infrastructure, etc. The future guys will thank you.
>>
>>1080202
Do you have a youtube channel?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.