[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Work in the rail industry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: inman_yard.jpg (386KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
inman_yard.jpg
386KB, 800x600px
Hey /n/, I want to find employment for a rail company preferably as a conductor. Is this possible with only a high school diploma? I'm more than willing to work long hours and be away from home for any amount of time. CSX and NS are the two companies in my area so how would I go about getting employed by one of them?
>>
>>1079094
>I want to find employment for a rail company preferably as a conductor.
No you don't. Go to college, study hard, apply yourself, and never think again about working for this shit hole.
>>
>>1079104
What are some of your grievances with the rail industry?
>>
>>1079113
The hours, extra-board life being absolute dog shit, the growing management core that has no railroad experience, the inherent danger and risk in just about everything you do, the fact that this is the only job I've ever had where if you're good at your job you basically get punished by having more expected from you. They then will burn you by saying "you didn't check those points while you were lining it back and forth 15 times kicking cars," and write you up. Just stupid petty shit that every job has, but on the railroad it feels like it's cranked up to 11. Like I said, go to college, study hard, and get a good job.
>>
>>1079121
Damn, that fucking sucks. I've heard rail veterans run their mouths about the benefits of working for a class 1 but I guess the times have changed.
>>
>>1079129
The benefits and pay are there for some Class I's. If I'm not mistaken, the CSX and the NS have dog shit contracts and it takes you like 5 years to reach 100% rate of pay. Also nearly everybody I've met who's come off the CSX or NS has been complete fucking garbage that probably couldn't hold a job as a Wal-Mart greeter.
>>
>>1079132
I met an NS engineer once, he was a typical Georgia yokel. I really wanted a job in transportation because I want to be away from home.
>>
>>1079134
You don't need to be book smart or anything like that to be a good engineer. Plenty of guys I work with are country as hell, and some of them are amazing engineers and conductors, but then you have those lazy fucks, ignorant retards, and just reckless and stupid fuck ups that put everybody else at risk with their incompetence.

I'm not a perfect railroader by any stretch, but I give a fuck, hate double working myself, pay attention, and try to learn something new every day out here. It just gets irritating when some schlub can't switch worth a fuck and leaves extra work for you because he's too lazy or stupid to make simple moves to help other crews out.
>>
>>1079136
What do you think are good career paths in transportation? I have no money so college is out of the question.
>>
>>1079138
Why would you want to start a career in an industry that's facing huge amounts of automation in the next 15 years?

Take out loans and go to college and study something your passionate about.
>>
>>1079121
THIS THIS THIS 1000x THIS

I gotta ask who you work for. Sounds JUST like UP where I work.
>>
>>1080262
The one and only Cirque du Nacional.

Though, I am not Candadian nor do I live anywhere near Canada.
>>
>>1080411
Mississippi Valley?
>>
>>1080411
Canadian company that's managed like shit...color me surprised.
The company hiring managers that have no clue what they are doing and have zero passion for what they are working with is the exact same pattern one of my family members saw happening at Bombardier over the last 10 years.
>>
File: TheAndersons.jpg (77KB, 927x600px) Image search: [Google]
TheAndersons.jpg
77KB, 927x600px
>>1079094
If you are open to jobs other than conducting, you could become a welder.
>>
PTC can't come soon enough to put all you railtrash out of work.
>>
>>1084116
It's already being rolled out and it's pretty terrible. Delaying trains and lots of missed connections on freight with only a small handful of trains running it.

PTC might end up creating jobs by running shorter more frequent trains.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.