[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quadricycle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

File: Quadricycle.jpg (39KB, 385x402px) Image search: [Google]
Quadricycle.jpg
39KB, 385x402px
With all these bikes that come to /n/ but never is a quadricycle to be seen here.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (127KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
127KB, 800x600px
put it on rails and it's even more /n
>>
>>1078231
Indeed, I like that thanks for sharing.
>>
>>1078231

holy shit that is /n/ approved all right
>>
>>1078239
Something /n/ may also like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gv67mxV5TY
>>
Someone should make a quadricycle with four cranksets and an aero fairing and make it go 100km/h on rails
>>
File: quattrovelo_4.jpg (2MB, 2275x1509px)
quattrovelo_4.jpg
2MB, 2275x1509px
>>1078211
Lo and behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uebic9La38
>>
>>1078268
Interesting, what is this powered by?
>>
>>1078285
It's a velomobile, so basically a bike with a fairing.

http://en.velomobiel.nl/
>>
>>1078285
>Interesting, what is this powered by?
velomobiles are pretty awesome
world record speed run for a human powered vehicle was in one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWZAsIkNil0
>>
>>1078296
That is not a velomobile. It is a single track bike with a fairing. It also is only suitable as record vehicle and has no practical value whatsoever.

Velomobiles use three tracks or, in this example, two tracks. Also, they are meant to be ridden in traffic.
>>
>>1078374
It's called a streamliner, newb. They're a special case subset of velomobiles.
>>
>>1078287
Still very interesting, thanks.
>>
>>1078296
Is this the first of it's kind, or are there more?
>>
>>1078211
I have always called these things Surrey bikes.
>>
>>1078231

That looks cozy as fuck.
>>
>>1078379
You are wrong.
>>
File: quattrovelo_4.jpg (100KB, 2200x1238px) Image search: [Google]
quattrovelo_4.jpg
100KB, 2200x1238px
>>1078382
> first of its kind

First of all: This is NOT a velomobile. It is a record breaking single track recumbent. It is utterly useless in real life situations. Velomobiles are designed for everyday use.

Secondly: No, as with all high performance vehicles, it is the result of years of development, improvement and competetions between teams.
Google "Varna" for one of the last record holders.

Pic related: A velomobile.

Here is another video of the Quattrovelo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8d4blKnsKw
>>
>>1078456
>race cars aren't automobiles
>>
I acknowledge that in the US the term "velomobile" might be used differently. Let me explain, how the term is used in Europe (Germany and Netherlands at least - velomobile hotspots).

First off: In my view, your argument is flawed: You don't call a motorcycle (single track) a car (two tracks), do you?

Velomobiles originated in France before WWI (Mochet-car - two tracks, four wheels). They have been "reinvented" as commercial products in Denmark and the Netherlands (Leitra-Velomobile, three tracks, three wheels and Alleweder Velomobile, also three tracks, three wheels).
Velomobiles are recumbent tricycles or quadricyles with a fairing. You just need three+ wheels or you will fucking fall over when stopping, making single track bents with fairings basically unusable.

Initially velomobiles were designed as practical vehicles for everyday use with weather protection with additional speed improvement. In the last 15 years development used new materials to make them lighter and faster but they still retain a three-wheel setup (the quattrovelo is a recent four wheel, two track addition that is quite exotic) because only in this configuration the vehicle is practical for what it is designed for.
>>
>>1078456
I see.
>>
>>1078285
Am I reading this right, the lowest gear is 70-36?
That sounds like accelerating would be a nightmare.
>>
>>1078477
Velomobiles are a viable option for long distances. Keep in mind that the velo has been designed in the Netherlands (flat but windy). There is a Schlumpf mountain drive option available, effectively changing 70/36 to 28/36.
>>
>>1078482
Sometimes I feel like every cancerous thing that has made cycling culture worse for everyone else came from the Netherlands where prevailing conditions are basically alien to every other place on earth
>>
>>1078477
If that's the case than it will be a hard thing to control then.
>>
>>1078477
Why? That's almost exactly the same as 50-25 (a little lower in fact), which would be the lowest gear on the biggest ring of a standard compact chainset road bike. There's no problem starting in the big ring there. And add to that the driving wheel of the velomobile is often not a full size 622 wheel, so it's fewer gear inches than the ratio would imply.
>>
>>1078487
> designing stuff perfectly suitable for your conditions
> cancerous

wtf, mate? Stop bitching about the Netherlands doing their thing.
If it's not for you, it's not for you. That doesn't mean it makes "cycling culture worse". Just don't buy it. Simple as that. Stop whining.
>>
>>1078491
I hadn't thought of that, good point.
>>
File: 4602561708_13f4d8ae5c_z.jpg (113KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
4602561708_13f4d8ae5c_z.jpg
113KB, 604x453px
Some of those 4 wheel bikes look very comfy but they're often too expensive.
>>
File: pedalcar1.jpg (48KB, 600x450px)
pedalcar1.jpg
48KB, 600x450px
http://velomobileobserver.blogspot.com/2015/05/velomobile-definition-revisited.html
" Velomobile is a human powered vehicle for daily use with a shell for comfort, weather protection and luggage space."
Not necessarily a quad, but this thread is...
The ultimate in style
>>
>>1078211
>>
>>1078211
>>1082842
>>
>>1082842
Impressive collection there I must say.
>>
>>1082852
it's quite a sight but check out the rental rates
>>
>>1082890
Fuck paying those prices!
>>
>>1078477
I've ridden those. They're pretty shit in hilly areas. Being so low makes them fairly unsafe in traffic, as well. Add to that the general expense of buying and maintaining them, and they're really not viable for general use. Maybe someday, but not now. Also, and this is purely a personal note, the velomobile community seems to be entirely composed of the most embarrassingly insufferable assholes I've ever met. It's like if r9k all suddenly decided to get into human powered transportation.
>>
http://mtb4her.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/c2-560x373.jpg
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.