[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vintage Specialized Rockhopper Cop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: BIK.jpg (65KB, 750x538px) Image search: [Google]
BIK.jpg
65KB, 750x538px
I picked up this bike about a week ago It's a vintage Rockhopper series from Specialized, I think from the late 90's.

Sat in a garage for probably close to two decades until the owner finally decided to get rid of it, so it's in great condition.
I bought an older bike because I wanted to cut my teeth on something simple and cheap. I plan on using it for generally getting around, but also to beat up on the trails. What are the opinions on an older bike like this with less aggressive geometry for having some fun on the trails? I'd like to get better at bhops and general technical navigation. I"m not expecting it to blow my mind on the technical stuff, but can it hack it?
>>
>>1077287
Early 2000s.
>>
In terms of the trail, this bike is fully capable, and added suspension fork will give a more comfy ride on moderate trails.

Jumping on hi-ten steel frames is how you get good at preforming jumps to begin with. If you can flat hop a steel bike, anything lighter will be like a feather.

Practice bouldering on the bike, to get use to very steep climbs. If you slow down at a steep climb on these, you'll fall sideways. Momentum is the key.

Upgrades should be easy, most are going for all the ratios in the back, but I like having gearing in the front - it allows for a quick drop-down of the ratios so if you need to kick it, dropping it down is super quick.
>>
Also how much did you pay?
>>
>>1077297
I paid $260, which is more than I wanted to but the dude I bought it off was in the ass-backwoods of eagle river, ak and had a giant dog barking at me so i didn't feel like haggling. Plus the bike was basically like new so I couldn't find a reason to talk him down.
>>
File: BWWSpIT.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
BWWSpIT.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1077287
I've got the same fork as you on my Trek. Didn't expect it to work that well, but it's actually even smoother than my new fork lmao.

Don't be afraid to have some fun. Old tech isn't nearly as fragile as it looks
>>
>>1077296
That's great to hear. I put some new grips on it (the older style hand grips seem to run short, and i don't even have very big hands) and some race face chester pedals for grip on the trail. I'm excited to break it in.
>>
>>1077300
>y frame trek
>nostalgia time!
>click on the image
>aluminum
damm I didn't even know they came in that
>>
>>1077302
I don't think they even came in steel
>>
File: 276529284_bfbf75b245_b.jpg (351KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
276529284_bfbf75b245_b.jpg
351KB, 1024x768px
>>1077303
I didn't think they came in any kind of metal
>>
>>1077287
Far from vintage faggot
>>
>>1077308
almost 20 years old bud it's vintage. vintage is anything >10 years
>>
>>1077303
This is a very /n/ response
>>
File: 2017-05-31_04-08-54.png (530KB, 750x538px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-31_04-08-54.png
530KB, 750x538px
>>1077287
>>1077287
>>1077287
Looks ok, could be better....
>>
>>1077331

Hahaha, Jesus....
>>
File: KpdaRa2.jpg (1MB, 1800x1350px) Image search: [Google]
KpdaRa2.jpg
1MB, 1800x1350px
>>1077331
get on my level
>>
>>1077299
>$260 for that

lol op you got robbed
take it from an anon who works at a bike shop and regularly prices bikes for people. that thing is $150 at best. prob realistically around $100
>>1077311
wanna buy my VINTAGE xbox 360 circa 2006?

vintage is mostly now really just a word people say to charge more for shitty old stuff
>>
>>1077300
>Nori Yaro sticker

My man
>>
>>1077378
I went looking at used bikes at a few lbs, they all wanted 230-300$ for old crusty 90's rigids, not even good ones. I ended up paying$400 for a 97 that had everything but frame and fork upgraded to modern parts. I'm in Minneapolis so I think op's AK price is fine.

OP, I visit the local mtb parks. I can do the "very difficult" trails on my old ass rigid, I just do some bits slower. No flying off the 18" drops, I take them at a controlled snails pace.
>>
>>1077378
OP here, yeah like I said it wasn't ideal and I knew I was overpaying. But it was basically mint condition, and for a bike that fit me well (im 6'2") i really am not that broken up about it.

most people selling their bikes up here are elitists asking 3k-4k for their used high end cycles so finding something reasonably priced and of reasonable quality just seemed like the right choice.
>>
What does everyone think of vintage mountain bikes seriously though?
Road cycling and transport cycling is very traditional and has little to no NEEDED adaptations. Do you find older mountain bikes just aren't safe to use for trails tougher than cyclocross?
>>
>>1078077
They're fine for xc riding, especially with a pair of fat modern tires. Once you get to all mountain riding it's pretty sketchy.
>>
>>1078077
I am starting up on some of the trails, that are pretty advanced feeling with my 94 hardrock. If your bike is tight, you should be fine just dont fall
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.