[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>A reputable bike brand makes a bike with airless foam tires

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: 167195.jpg (59KB, 672x504px) Image search: [Google]
167195.jpg
59KB, 672x504px
>A reputable bike brand makes a bike with airless foam tires
Has the ultimate lazy shithead bike dream finally happened? Does this mean I can finally build a bike with tires that never need inflating, with a belt drive so there's no chain to rust and a single speed or possibly IGH?

C'mon you gotta admit the idea of a bike immune to flats, rust and chain breaks is compelling. Trading performance for low maintenance is worth in some situations.

So are these tires finally ridable or what's going on here? They're Specialized Nimbus aka Tannus Aither 1.1 btw....
>>
Schwalbe Marathon Plus already exist, no need to go airless
>>
>>1075225
You really think those won't get a flat before these Tannus tires need replacing? They're supposed to last about 9,000 miles before becoming deformed. I can't imagine any pneumatic tire not going flat in anything over ~5k miles and an average tire itself would likely need replacing before then.
>>
>>1075229
>I can't imagine any pneumatic tire not going flat in anything over ~5k miles
So... I've done the impossible several times over, eh? Not Marathons. For some reason the inbred roody-poos of this fine forum subsection have a greatly inflated (ha!) impression of how frequent flats actually are. If you listened to half of the posts here you'd think people without triple protection belts would puncture every other mile.
>>
Or what about just putting a solid tire in the rear and a good pneumatic in the front?
>>
>>1075230
>a greatly inflated (ha!) impression of how frequent flats actually are
I don't think so. The whole reason people even pay any attention to the foam tires is because flats are such a headache for them. If that weren't the case, they wouldn't even consider them. The fact solid tires have historically been so shit and people STILL consider them is testament to how common flats are.
>>
File: sides.png (420KB, 595x575px) Image search: [Google]
sides.png
420KB, 595x575px
>>1075231
>solid tire in the rear
for maximum rolling resistance penalty
>pneumatic in the front
where a puncture is most likely to result in injury
>>
>>1075235
>for maximum rolling resistance penalty
Are you claiming a rear solid front pneumatic would have greater rolling resistance than 2x solid tires or are you only pretending?
>where a puncture is most likely to result in injury
Wut. No it's because taking off the front tire is quick and easy for plebs.
>>
>>1075236
>Are you claiming a rear solid front pneumatic would have greater rolling resistance than 2x solid tires or are you only pretending?
No, I'm saying the rear tyre is where the added rolling resistance will hit you the hardest, because it carries the majority of the load.
>Wut. No it's because taking off the front tire is quick and easy for plebs.
And also the tyre that is likely to get you hurt if it blows out. So, you're maximising the negative impact of solids while minimising their risk mitigating properties.

Never mind that it's a stupid idea to begin with as punctures are both incredibly rare and both cheap and easy to fix. The typical every day utility cyclist will suffer a single digit number in their entire lifetime. However, you suffer the reduced comfort and added rolling resistance for every single mile.
>>
>>1075225
I get a flat about every 1000 miles with my marathons
>>
>>1075238
>No, I'm saying the rear tyre is where the added rolling resistance will hit you the hardest, because it carries the majority of the load.
Yet you're reducing the overall rolling resistance that you would otherwise have had from using two solid tires instead of one. Where more rolling resistance comes from is neither here nor there.
>And also the tyre that is likely to get you hurt if it blows out
That's going to be a problem with pneumatic tires either way and a very distant secondary concern to anyone seriously considering a solid tire.
>Never mind that it's a stupid idea to begin with as punctures are both incredibly rare and both cheap and easy to fix
The fact foam tires even exist is testament to the fact flats are not rare. The average person does not find them cheap nor easy to fix.
>The typical every day utility cyclist will suffer a single digit number in their entire lifetime
9 flats in 9 years is enough to drive the average person away from cycling entirely.
> you suffer the reduced comfort and added rolling resistance for every single mile
I figure if someone like Specialized is willing to deal with the complaints of thousands of casuals who might buy one of these bikes, it must not be that bad to the average person.
>>
>>1075239
So, five to ten times more often than my GP4k in city traffic. Try rim strips, Cleetus.
>>
>>1075240
>Yet you're reducing the overall rolling resistance that you would otherwise have had from using two solid tires instead of one. Where more rolling resistance comes from is neither here nor there.
This is nonsensical. Do you always but up this defensive rationalisation when a great idea of yours turns out somewhat suboptimal? There are therapists who could help you with that.
>The fact foam tires even exist is testament to the fact flats are not rare.
But they don't. You have exactly one model out of thousands.
>9 flats in 9 years is enough to drive the average person away from cycling entirely.
I'm sorry you'll only live to be nine years old.
Tell it to the dutch.
>
I figure if someone like Specialized is willing to deal with the complaints of thousands of casuals who might buy one of these bikes, it must not be that bad to the average person.
The same argument can be made for pneumatic tyres, and they dominate the market in spite of solids having been around since long before pneumatics, so...
QED
>>
>>1075246
>This is nonsensical
That 1 solid + 1 pneumatic has less rolling resistance than 2x solid? Because saying "b-b-b-but the rear has most rolling resistance" doesn't change anything I posted.
>But they don't. You have exactly one model out of thousands.
You're claiming flats aren't a problem. The only people who make these claims are bike shop monkeys or people who otherwise have been maintaining a bicycle themselves or are just really fucking bored and want to. You do not fit the profile of a person who does not enjoy changing flats. You probably keep an entire kit with you, eager to change a flat at any moment.
>The same argument can be made for pneumatic tyres, and they dominate the market in spite of solids having been around since long before pneumatics, so...
Not a counterargument. Solid tires were made of rocks at one point, then wood, then a rock hard plastic. A lot has changed over the years. The fact a major reputable bike manufacturer like Specialized now offers them is a point worth considering. Maybe not to your average grease monkey bike shop worker but to everyone else? Fuck yes it is.
>>
>>1075248
>That 1 solid + 1 pneumatic has less rolling resistance than 2x solid?
Which was never debated, you retard. The objection was that you're making the most harm and least benefit with your positioning of your single solid tyre. A three year old could understand that, so I'm deducing that you're simply incapable of handling valid criticism and you're retreating to wilful obtuseness as a coping mechanism. Sad.
>The only people
Wow. All of Scandinavia wants a word with you on that. And Holland, and France and all the other biking nations.
>Solid tires were made of rocks at one point, then wood
Lol no. Solid rubber tyres were a thing before the invention of pneumatic tyres, and they have been available in their current form for decades. They're simply not worth it. But please, keep mentally masturbating about how great they are instead of putting your money where your mouth is and riding them.
>>
Here's an idea, how about a tyre that's only about half solid rubber? Say we have a 35mm tyre that's like 18mm thick at the tread which should be enough to avoid most punctures and outlast a regular thickness tyre, then have a skinny tube filling the space between the tyre and rim to save some weight, get back a bit of performance, and make installation easier. Anyone made something like this before?
>>
>>1075251
> Which was never debated, you retard
Then you're arguing with your own strawman, braindead moron.
> Solid rubber tyres were a thing before the invention of pneumatic tyres, and they have been available in their current form for decades
So just ignore they've gotten lighter, more durable improved rolling resistance, safer, etc cause ya know, solid rubber.
>>
>>1075255
Schwalbe Greenguard is kinda like that.

There are also products like Huck Norris that uses a semi-solid foam core within a tubeless pneumatic to prevent snakebites and make them sort of ridable even if you burp them mostly flat.
A ProCore-like tyre with a solid core instead of the pneumatic one might be something if you're concerned about yak butter touring breakdowns in the Himalayan desserts.
>>
File: thatword.jpg (56KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
thatword.jpg
56KB, 400x400px
>>1075256
>Then you're arguing with your own strawman, braindead moron.
Please look up the definition of strawman, bakka-kun. Pic related. Pointing out that your idea has an obvious flaw and can easily be improved is not a strawman.
>So just ignore they've gotten lighter, more durable improved rolling resistance, safer, etc cause ya know, solid rubber.
Eh, no, they've been the same foam core type for these decades. But you sure do love talking about this great new invention that you know so little about.
>>
>>1075258
> Pointing out that your idea has an obvious flaw and can easily be improved is not a strawman
That's exactly what it is as there's nobody claiming a rear solid doesn't have the worst rolling resistance. This is a claim you've made up from an argument you're now having with yourself. The claim is 1+1 solid/air is better rolling resistance than 2x solid. Nothing else. Have fun defeating your own argument.
> they've been the same foam core type for these decades
They've made the foam core weigh less and absorb better.
>>
>>1075259
>autistic screeching intensifies
Yes, you've definitely won this argument. *nods*
>>
>>1075257
I'm imagining something far more substantial than Greenguard. Huck Norris and Procore still rely on sealant to seal holes as anything penetrating the tyre is still going to reach the pneumatic part where as I'm thinking of something that would make that impossible unless the thorn or whatever is really long. Also they have the hassle of tubeless as well as that of installing the core, where as a thick-ass tyre wouldn't be much harder to fit than a regular tyre.

I suppose you could also make an insertable core that would go between the tyre and tube instead of the "tube" (air containing part of a tubeless setup) and rim but it would need to precisely fit the shape of the tyre which would mean offering a lot of size options.
>>
>>1075261
>>1075261
>I'm thinking of something that would make that impossible unless the thorn or whatever is really long.
The problem will be rolling resistance as that's a lot of rubber that will need to deform as the tyre rolls. The conventional method is to prevent penetration by using puncture breakers, or make penetration less of an issue by way of sealant, as you say. I personally think the balance of it is in favour of those solutions.
>I suppose you could also make an insertable core that would go between the tyre and tube instead of the "tube" (air containing part of a tubeless setup) and rim but it would need to precisely fit the shape of the tyre which would mean offering a lot of size options.
A lot of off road motorcycles use this type of system. But of course, then you have a powerful motor doing the work and not some poor legs.
>>
>>1075263
I get that it would be shit in comparison to regular tyres, I'm not advocating for it nor saying that I'd personally use it, I'm just saying that it would probably be much better than a completely solid tyre with little downside.
>>
>>1075264
Well, modern "solid" tyres were never really solid to begin with. They use a foamed or hollow core, sometimes under pressure. So they're actually semi-pneumatic.
And then there's the spring lattice versions such as Tweel and other nonsense, but those are seriously bad rollers and prone to fatigue.
>>
>>1075234
>I don't think so. The whole reason people even pay any attention to the foam tires is because flats are such a headache for them. If that weren't the case, they wouldn't even consider them. The fact solid tires have historically been so shit and people STILL consider them is testament to how common flats are.

Have you ever ridden Schwalbe High Performance Touring Tires?

Let me tell you from experience, the Marathon Supreme line is exceptional in regards to flatting

I have literally never, ever, ever gotten a flat on them.

But seriously for a minute, when I rode Rubino pros on my daily commute, I'd get maybe 3 flats a year.

It was only about 1,000 miles on them a year. But it was Philadelphia city streets with glass and potholes and shit everywhere. I weight 180.

Three flats a year

Is half this forum riding shit 30 tpi tires and deciding foam is the way to go? lol
>>
>>1075337

Thinking back it was probably more like 1 or 2 flats a year. But I was riding around drunk a lot so

1. can't relaly remember well

2. miht have been riding like shit

I was also lubing my chain with GREASE during this time so you can tell I was being an idiot --- flats were never a thing to worry about and I didn't carry a tube ever bc it almost never happened
>>
>>1075224
>>A reputable bike brand makes a bike with airless foam tires
It's no longer reputable.

>>1075239
I have had 0 flats on over 10k km on them and I even run below recommended pressures.

>>1075261
>I suppose you could also make an insertable core that would go between the tyre and tube instead of the "tube"
That reminds me, wasn't there a product like this, combining two tubes into one set-up (one with high pressure and the other, wrapped around it or something with lower pressure)?
I think MTB/DH kinda thing.
>>
>>1075359
>That reminds me, wasn't there a product like this, combining two tubes into one set-up (one with high pressure and the other, wrapped around it or something with lower pressure)?
>I think MTB/DH kinda thing.

Schwalbe again

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Schwalbe-Double-Chamber-System-first-ride.html
>>
>>1075239
I've ridden thousands of miles in handmade Italian puncture magnets without punctures.
>>
>>1075229
>>1075230
>>1075234
Great two way discussion mofos

Ive covered at least 6k km on crappy schwalbe spicers 622*35, no punctures yet, but sidrwalls are cracking and the feel of them is not nice any more, no cornering confidence

But would siluds roll nicr after 3k? And the mounting? Factory only? Yeah nah

However, i would like to see them sold on a singlespeed coaster brake wheelsets for a beer bike one does not intend to maintain. But it begs the question of just how fucked would it be by the presence of a 70 kg passrnger on my rear rack
I
>>
>>1075359
Specialized, who makes one of the most highly touted puncture resistant tires in Armadillos, is no longer reputable? Or is this another reasoning down to a forgone conclusion.

>>1075337
You can still get pinch flats no matter how great your tire. Pinch flats in my experience are very common. I'm annoyed by anyone who claims you never get flats. Fuck off. If that's your line of reasoning please I beg you stop posting.
>>
File: salty.png (372KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
salty.png
372KB, 600x480px
>>1075465
>Pinch flats in my experience are very common.
Er, learn to inflate your tyres and use tyres of adequate volume. Not rocket surgery, dingus.
>I'm annoyed by anyone who claims you never get flats.
Yes, I can see how refuting the central argument for spechul paranoid autist tyres would leave you arse-angry. But never mind that. Please, buy yourself a solid tyre and ride it instead of extolling their supposed virtues on a Chinese cartoon forum.
>>
>>1075465
>Specialized, who makes one of the most highly touted puncture resistant tires in Armadillos

Touted by plebs who enjoy hard plastic taint destroyers on their wheels
>>
>>1075465
>You can still get pinch flats no matter how great your tire. Pinch flats in my experience are very common. I'm annoyed by anyone who claims you never get flats. Fuck off. If that's your line of reasoning please I beg you stop posting.

You recommend armadildo bullshit and have never ridden supremes

Stop being angry. Come into the light. We accept all people into the fold. Try them - you will see - we love you as you are. It's gonna be okay.
>>
File: tears_delishious_tears.jpg (24KB, 388x330px) Image search: [Google]
tears_delishious_tears.jpg
24KB, 388x330px
>>1075512
>b-buh muh punkteur protexschun
>>
>>1075465
Armadillos are worse than memeskins

Honestly, if you want "fast" tires, you simply should accept you're not going to get good performance with anything more than good puncture protection. Adding even a little protection bead to bead kills the suppleness of tires, and you might as well go full Marathon mode.
>>
File: P1020849.jpg (178KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
P1020849.jpg
178KB, 800x600px
>>1075224
>So are these tires finally ridable or what's going on here? They're Specialized Nimbus aka Tannus Aither 1.1 btw....
Except that the Nimbus is a conventional pneumatic tyre and not at all anything like the Aither.

Nothing to see here guys, it was all a ruse.
>>
>>1075224
>reputable
Welp, looks like Specialized is no longer reputable.
>>
>>1075516
This. It's better to go full performance or durability mode on your tires than getting something in between and getting neither.
>>
>>1075230
...I get flats every third ride or so...
>>
>>1075903
You should consider not riding through the broken glass and rusty nail factory
>>
>>1075903
Inflate your tires at least to the minimum pressure printed on them to avoid pinch flats. Avoid riding over caltrops, spike strips, knives, glass shards, rusty nails and other sharp objects to prevent punctures.
>>
>>1075989
>caltrops
these shits are what get me the most
They're fucking too small to be visible most of the time, too.
>>
>>1075989
>everyone who gets flats just did it wrong
can't stand this meme
>>
>>1076022
Was never implied. But yes, the tiny fraction people who keep getting constant punctures every few hundred miles with kit that no-one else ever has a problem with - yes, they're fucking doing it wrong. Obviously.
>>
>>1076035
Or perhaps they ride on different terrain to the people that don't have issues. Some places caltrops and thorns are almost unavoidable, other places are littered with glass from drunks throwing bottles or cars getting broken into, others have sharp rocks hidden in gravel paths.
>>
:^)
>>
>>1076036
>Or perhaps they ride on different terrain to the people that don't have issues.
No, they fucking don't m80. Stop making excuses. They ride the same streets, trails and fireroads as everyone else. They're just dead shit at keeping tyre pressure, choosing appropriate tyres and not riding in the fucking glass.
If you ride trails with caltrops, go tubeless. If you ride city streets, have puncture belt and stay above 5 bar.

It really is that simple.
>sharp rocks
Laughable.
>>
File: goathead[1].jpg (44KB, 326x249px) Image search: [Google]
goathead[1].jpg
44KB, 326x249px
One day we will be able to fill tires with carbon aerogel sealant foam, but that's a long ways away.

If you have things like pic related all over, or are on an action packed tour of Detroit, you will get more flats. Go with some combination of thick tire, sealant, thick tube, or full on tubeless, probably in that order.
>>
>>1076055
>hit a pothole
>tire snaps in half
>>
>>1075241
Why do I have such bad luck. I ran over something about a year ago that cut a 2 inch gash in my last one.
>>
>>1076035
problem is you're both exaggerating your argument

fact is a flat can occur when you step out the door or never

fact is flats are a game changer for most people

how you decide to shape your argument past these facts is subjective gibberish
>>
Here In the Helllands most flats occur thanks to;
1)Riding under inflated tires causing
>Rim tape Moves and years due to the inner tubes moving due to tangential forces(yes we still use that shitty rubber rim strip a lot)
>Valve tears off due to inner tube moving again by braking and acceleration forces
>Sidewall blows out due to fatigued carcas
2)improperly mounted tires
>causing lots troublez
3)Leaky valves because of
>Muh dunlop valve!
>Muh too retarded to not break of the captive nut of a presta valve
>Muh xinxiow super syckeltek tubes

I can't even remember the last time I changed a customers flat tire that was actually caused by an foreign object piercing the tube.

I'm actually somewhat suprised solid tires havent gained any traction here In the Netherlands since 99% of the cyclist dont give a fuck about ride quality anyway and are running their 37mm's on 1 bar or so.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.