[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

when will these fucking airless tires become a fucking reality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: airless.jpg (134KB, 537x350px) Image search: [Google]
airless.jpg
134KB, 537x350px
when will these fucking airless tires become a fucking reality
>>
>>1074647
>le airless maymay again
When they can compete with pneumatic tyres, which is never. You can get yours today if you're keen. Don't say I didn't warn you.
>>
>>1074647
Never
We can only hope for better materials on pneumatic tires
>>
Imagine that shit filling up with mud.

What a joy.
>>
>>1074647

As soon as materials science & manufacturing make suspension technology more weight and maintenance economic than pneumatic tires.
Basically we are talking about highly efficient suspension systems with solid rims that have to weigh less, ride smoother, and cost less than frames with pneumatic tires.

Doesn't seem likely, but it's not totally impossible.
>>
>>1074647
they wont
there's a reason these things arent already on bikes and its because they're bad.

if you're scared of flats just get a tire with a kevlar belt and your problem is solved.

im gonna run down a quick reason of why these things are shit
>are either boneshatteringly uncomfortable and rigid, or so soft they're really inefficient, cant have the balance of comfort and efficency of regular tires
>no modulation, pneumatics allow you to raise or lower pressure depending on terrain, rider weight, riding style, and personal preference
>dont grip as well
> more costly and a bitch to replace after inevitable wear and tear
>can't deform to terrain, making it shit at cornering
>wont be as good/grippy as a good tire

the only thing they can get away with putting these peice of shit memes on are sub 500 bikes aimed for dumb moms
>>
That all said, anyone tried inflating their tires with helium?
>>
>>1074894
Enjoy pumping up those 25-622 tires every hour and that all for 0,2 µseconds of speed advantage
>>
>>1074896
I know some people inflate car tires with nitrogen to improve mpg and also slow air loss (nitrogen molecules are bigger than others and leak less). I know air is 70% (?) Nitrogen anyway, but curious if anyone was into this marginal gain.
>>
>>1074896
I just figured that there was going to be someone weenie enough to do it.
>>
>>1074897
Nitrogen doesn't do shit to improve efficiency of the car. Also how shitty are your rims and tires if they can't keep air in them well enough that a check every few months isn't enough? The biggest advantage of using nitrogen is that it has smaller thermal expansion than air which means pressures are easier to control when you're setting up track tires where small differences in tire pressure can have drastic impact on handling.

Using nitrogen would actually be useful for rim brake equipped bikes with clinchers if you are descending a lot.
>>
What I want is zero-atmosphere cycling. Imagine those olympic tracks but they pump all the air out and give everyone oxygen tanks.
>>
>>1074913
Man everyone would be riding those speed record bikes
>>
File: schwalbe_procore_frontpage.jpg (326KB, 1364x713px) Image search: [Google]
schwalbe_procore_frontpage.jpg
326KB, 1364x713px
even schwalbe master race cant do it right.
>>
>>1074894
Helium woud leak too easy probably. Air is fine and is free.
>>
>>1074647
All those holes are going to create TONS of turbulences. Also they're going to pick up gravel, water, mud... So you better close these holes but then you're back again with a classic tire.
>>
When there is a demand for them.
Bike weight before mud puddle 13 lb
Bike wieght After mud puddle 53 lb
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.