[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The Brighton and Rottingdean Seashore Electric Railway was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: [email protected] (251KB, 2000x1498px) Image search: [Google]
621056-1000-0@2x.jpg
251KB, 2000x1498px
>The Brighton and Rottingdean Seashore Electric Railway was a unique coastline railway in Brighton, England that ran through the shallow coastal waters of the English Channel between 1896 and 1901
>>
File: daddy_longlegs_rails2.jpg (80KB, 573x375px) Image search: [Google]
daddy_longlegs_rails2.jpg
80KB, 573x375px
>The railway itself consisted of two parallel 2 ft 8 1⁄2 in (825 mm) gauge tracks, billed as 18 ft (5.5 m) gauge, the measurement between the outermost rails.[2] The tracks were laid on concrete sleepers mortised into the bedrock. The single car used on the railway was a 45 by 22 ft (13.7 by 6.7 m) pier-like building which stood on four 23 ft (7.0 m)-long legs. The car weighed 45 long tons (50 short tons; 46 t). Propulsion was by electric motor. It was officially named Pioneer, but many called it Daddy Long-Legs. Due to regulations then in place, a qualified sea captain was on board at all times, and the car was provided with lifeboats and other safety measures.
>>
>>
File: imgID81824891.jpg (581KB, 2106x1548px) Image search: [Google]
imgID81824891.jpg
581KB, 2106x1548px
>>
>>
File: 1911_Centaur_881.jpg (368KB, 833x1032px) Image search: [Google]
1911_Centaur_881.jpg
368KB, 833x1032px
>>
>>1074555
>>1074556
>>1074565
That's pretty cool OP, never heard of that. I love shit like this that still has traces of the line visible. Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>1074554
Steampunk AS FUCK
>>
This looks comfy as fuck. Thanks for posting, OP. I love learning about unique railroads.
>>
>>1074554
I wonder how they dealt with sand and mud covering the rails.
>>
>>1074554
Neat-o. I remember reading about this years ago, forgot all about it. 115 yrs later the foundations can still be found. Imagine racing the tides to build that.
>>
>>1074554
I wonder how smooth the ride was. Any slight imperfection in the track was probably magnified exponentially high up in the passenger carriage.
>>
>>1074554
Very cool OP, any idea why it closed? Not economically viable I presume?
>>
I live in brighton, but I've never seen this. If you're looking towards the beach, is this on the left?
>>
>>1074923
Go take some pics.
>>
Neat, I imagine something like this would be cool for crossing shallow rivers/streams. However it seems a bit pointless running it along the shore, the travel distance wouldn't be much shorter than just getting off the beach and it's gonna be a lot slower than any other form of transportation.
>>
>>1078022
A cable ferry is far more efficient and logical for river/stream crossings.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.