[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

the price of metropolitan transportation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

File: TJtakasaka_00011.jpg (591KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TJtakasaka_00011.jpg
591KB, 1920x1080px
I'm thinking of going to London so I search for the information of the city.
And I'm astonished that the price of public transportation there is fucking high, take that of the tube, which is from $3.1, for Japan where I live has comparatively low prices in transportation(in Tokyo it is from $1.2).
Please tell me about the average price of public transportations in your city to compare each.
pic related
>>
My city's BRT has a flat fare of 35 cents
>>
File: 59505147_p0.png (3MB, 1440x1560px) Image search: [Google]
59505147_p0.png
3MB, 1440x1560px
>>1072419
What city?
>>
Mexico City here.

Subway is 0.26 USD.
BRT is 0.32 USD.
Shared bike is 21 USD/year.
>>
Santiago, Chile
Flat fare of ~$1, both subway and buses
>>
That's London for you mate, in Nottingham it's £1 if you're a student, which includes all buses and trams.
>>
2,80 € in Berlin
>>
The price is 1.2e for the bus system in Ljubljana. But it's a stupid system where you can only pay either with a special card or a slovene-only phone pay. Yoi can get the card only at certain locations and it costs 10e, so it completely fucks over tourists.
Oh yea and if you're paying by phone, you have to pay for each crossover (card transaction gives you a 90min free crossover).
>>
Hong Kong:
MTR (metro, train/S-Bahn): USD 0.75, 1, 2, 2.5-3.5, USD5-7 cross-border
Tram/streetcar: USD0.3
LRT: USD0.5-0.8
Bus: ~70-90% of MTR
>>
File: hsl lukija.jpg (215KB, 480x641px) Image search: [Google]
hsl lukija.jpg
215KB, 480x641px
>>1072416
Helsinki (municipal fare) for all public transport for ~1 hour is:
>3,20€ from conductor/driver
>2,90€ from ticket machine or mobile app
>2,18€ if using travelcard (reader in pic)

Childern, pensioners(?) and students get 1/2 off.
>>
Prague
Fares are time based, you can travel so long as your ticket is valid, regardless of number of transfers or trips (the 90min one is reasonably useful for return trips, end to end travel on the metro is 25-40 min depending on the line)

Zones technically exist, but they're more of a outlying towns & villages thing, the centermost "P" zone actually covers the entire metro&tram network + vast majority of inner city bus lines (numbers 1XX), and counts as 2 zones for fare calculation.

Basic - 90min - 1.20€
Short - 30min - 0.90€
24h - 4.15€
72h - 11.65€
monthly, quarterly and 30+90 day coupons also exist.

Ages 0-6 and 70+ (+ some other groups like disabled, veterans, former political prisoners etc etc) have free fare, 6-15 and 65-70 get 50% discount on all but the 3-day one, longer term coupons have their own rules.
>>
Yeah London is bloody expensive. The only good thing is that fares are capped at around £10. Meaning if you spend that much on journeys throughout the day any after that are free. This applies to all forms of public transport, so you could reach your cap on the tube, then take a train and bus and they are free. Only works for oyster cards though, not the paper tickets.
>>
>>1072416
Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth. Light Rail's all day local full fare is $4. Reduced is $2 if you're under 18, senior, vet I think. I swear it used to apply to students too, but oh well. This also applies to the local valley metro buses too.
>>
>>1072416
Twin Cities for bus and light rail it's $1.75 for 2.5 hours of ride time (plus transfers) and $2.25 during rush hours.

Although might get some flak from fellow Minnesotans lurking about but the price for the ticket might be to low imo. Yes public transportation has other means of generating money, it seems to always be under attack due to having a low fair box recovery ratio. Take for instance our 2 LRT lines, both have continued to passed there project ridership numbers each year yet the system as a whole is still operating at a loss. I don't really want to heavily argue whether or not public transportation should pay for itself or be subsidized put the only argument I'll say is the expected ridership of any line should be just enough to break even with its operating cost.
>>
>>1072416
Japan is actually cheap?
>>
>>1072606
It also works with any contactless card, not just oyster.
>>
>>1072709
>>1072416
>from $1.2
>from
It isn't that expensive. Plus transport subsidy for locals.
>>
>>1072709
It's cheap, but they charge by distance on top of the $1.20 basic fare (final fare is calculated when you exit the gate -- you have to tap your fare card to get out).
>>
File: 1494647511980.png (83KB, 1380x876px) Image search: [Google]
1494647511980.png
83KB, 1380x876px
>>1072424
Bullshit, ya'll taco niggers don't have infrastructure
>>
>>1072784
Mexico doesn't have retarded legal system like Brazil that allows some rich NIMBY fucks to halt subway construction for 20 years because they don't like the noise or something.
>>
I spent a lot in Transportation in Tokyo. It was ridiculous. Maybe I was doing something wrong. Or maybe I was travelling distances too far away, which seems odd. But I for sure paid a lot more than 1.2$ per trip.

Lisbon (where I live):
>1.45€/trip for the metro, wherever you go
>1.30€+/trip for train (depending on the distance)

Paris (where I sometimes work):
>1.90€/trip for the metro, RER (urban train) and bus for all areas. Can buy packs of 10 and get a good discount
>>
>>1072737
>>1072782
I mean, US$1.2 basic fare actually seems high when compare to other Asian cities.
>>
>>1072416
Chicagoland area here. It depends on which of the 3 transit systems you'll be using as well as if you're either military, senior, or student since those three have different prices. Prices for standard fares.

Pace Suburban Bus
>$1.75 standard/local fare, $0.25 transfer
>$4 Premium/Express route fare
Chicago Transit Authority
>Train $2.25
>Bus $2.00
>Transfer $0.25 for additional 2 rides within 2 hours
Metra
>Distance based fare based on which route
>>
Those comparisons are pointless if you don't include the cost of local taxes subsidizing public transport. London has expensive fares but relatively little taxes in subsidies. For Paris it's the other way around. I believe tokyo has both fairly cheap fares and low subsidies. It's even more complicated when you consider indirect subsidies.
>>
>>1072823
>London
>fucking high fares with low subsidy for it
What the stupidest city, isn't it?

as >>1072806 says the distance the trip has is the problem.
like Paris and London, the zone system has relatively high fares but in the certain zone the fares are constant, while Japanese railway system adopts the distance fare, so it might be felt expensive when traveling far.
In addition, the base and accumulating fares vary from company to company so it depends on the company you use to feel it reasonable
>>
yeah london is a fucking rip off, I'd suggest walking if you're a tourist.

General tips from a LondonerTM;

WALK DON'T STROLL, not everyone is on holiday and wants a casual stroll. Want to take pictures? Great! London is lovely and pretty, DO NOT STOP YET, instead move towards the outside of the moving crowd,get to the outside of the moving crowd before stopping.

STAND ON THE RIGHT, do this on escalators. tuck in enough to allow people to walk-run past you on the left. This rule is no longer enforced by TFL, but londerers do not give a crap so stand on the right. if you are standing on the left expect heavy tutting.

HAVE YOUR OYSTER READY, there is always a queue so no excuse.
>>
>>
>>1072966
Sounds like New York but we have Metrocard. Slow walking tourists are a pain.
>>
>>1072416
Orlando area
$2.00 for every Lynx bus ride, free transfers within 90 minutes
$2.00 for SunRail commuter train one way*
$3.75 for SunRail round-trip*
*Extra $1 for each county you pass through

There's also discounted fares for children, students, the elderly, the disabled, and possibly veterans (not sure about this one).
>>
>>1073003
There's also the I-Drive trolley but I almost never go around that area and not sure what their prices are but pretty sure it's similar to the Lynx buses.
>>
>>1072966
Also:

if you're spanish or from an ex-spanish colony:

Please consider other people before five of you stop in a narrow space and proceed to yell at each other for half an hour. You're blocking the way and can't hear us string to get past.
>>
File: 20150403_174145.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150403_174145.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1073007
it's not only spanish but chinese and 'DQN' Japanese tourist
>>
>>1072419
>>1072423
Jakarta public transit fares :
BRT 35 cents (4$ for the card)
Free for pensioners and mosque keepers
Suburban rail : progressive fare short distance 3 cents
Medium bus 4 cents
Suburban bus between 35 cents to 2$
The brt and commuter rail is highly subsidized
>>
Tyne and Wear:
£5.00 for an all zone metro ticket
Busses around £4.00
>>
>>1072416
I know what you mean, even the train from Nippori to Narita is cheaper than where I used to live. Heck, it is almost three times cheaper for double the distance.... plus you get sights like this:
https://youtu.be/AK-oEbUtInk
and who can turn that down?
>>
While most posts ITT were about single tickets, one should also consider other forms of tickets and how many people actually use single tickets.

My hometown Karlsruhe may not be a metropolitan area, but I have read their ridership statistics.
A single ticket inside the city is EUR 2.40, however barely anybody pays this.
Single tickets only account for 5% of all trips. The large majority, 90% of all trips, are made with monthly or yearly tickets.
A normal yearly ticket for the city area comes down to about 85 cents per trip assuming two daily trips including weekends.
Students, seniors, companies buying in bulk for their employees get discounts and pay even less per trip.

If they would make every user pay every single trip, the price of a single tricket could go down dramatically. But I guess the idea of the current system is to reward frequent users. Also collecting fares for each trip would mean a larger organisational overhead.
>>
>>1073272
Anon from >>1072806 here
I don't pay (1.30+1.45)x2 for commuting every day, I also pay the monthly pass, which is only ~50€. That totals 1.25€/day (assuming I only use it during 20 weekdays, although i can use it whenever.
In Paris, it's 70€. Freaking expensive, but pays off for its convenience.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.