[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DE-RAL-EE-OR

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: 06-131-rear-derailleur.jpg (11KB, 370x276px) Image search: [Google]
06-131-rear-derailleur.jpg
11KB, 370x276px
DE-RAL-EE-OR
>>
File: RMS.jpg (16KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
RMS.jpg
16KB, 300x400px
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as "deralleur", is in fact, a derailer. There really is an actual French word for this, but it is commonly pronounced in an anglicized manner, as "de-RAIL-er" or "de-RAIL-yur." The actual French pronunciation is more like "day-RYE-EUH" but nobody says that when speaking English. The proper French spelling is "dérailleur," not "derailleur."

I am on a one-man campaign to replace the foreign spelling "dérailleur" with the English spelling and pronunciation "derailer." I have been using this spelling in all of my writing for some time, and urge others to do the same.
The word "derailer" (or "dérailleur") is actually a metaphor, relating the gear change to what happens when a railroad train goes off the tracks. In English, we call this a "derailment," not a "déraillement."

In fact, in the railroad industry, there is an obscure device designed to deliberately derail a runaway rail car. This device has always been called a "derailer" in English, and a "dérailleur" in French. All the so-called “derailleurs” on bicycles are really derailers.
>>
http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html

Had a "friend" as a kid who used to call it a "drayler", very annoying. He also used to say something along the lines of "bazorst" instead of exhaust.
>>
File: c2d.jpg (36KB, 663x579px) Image search: [Google]
c2d.jpg
36KB, 663x579px
>TFW you remember that Captain Bicycle is dead
>>
>>1071458
autism
>>
>>1071455
The roller.
>>1071459
>exhaust
Ex-oust.
>>
>>1071458
I never noticed how similar Sheldon and Stallman looked
>>
File: 1360513937007.jpg (19KB, 500x248px) Image search: [Google]
1360513937007.jpg
19KB, 500x248px
>>1071513
>>
File: 1491578411410.jpg (260KB, 449x1197px) Image search: [Google]
1491578411410.jpg
260KB, 449x1197px
>>1071513
>Captain Bicycle
>>
>>1071458
Is there a brochure I can read about this? Do you also happen to have very strong opinions on the formating and use of SI unit symbols in informal text?
>>
>>1071459
Came here to post this
Sheldon is a god but he's wrong about derailleurs
THEY ARE CALLED DERAILLEURS
IT IS NOT AN ENGLISH WORD OR A FRENCH WORD
IT IS A CYCLING WORD
IT IS PRONOUNCED DERAILER
AND IT IS SPELLED DERAILLEUR
SO JUST CALL IT A FUCKING DERAILLEUR
NIGGERFUCK
>>
>>1071672
So why not spell it as it's pronounced? If you're not going to pronounce it the correct French way then we may as well use our own English name for it, and that is a derailer.

I'm guessing you call a dog a dog, but do you type chien instead?
>>
>>1071685
Why the fuck would I type chien you fucking moron? Do you spell all words the same as the way you pronounce them? Do you spell bicycle 'bisikl'? Do you spell house 'hows'? Do you spell you 'yew'? Do you spell meme 'meem'? Do you spell your name 'Faggot'?
>>
>>1072060
Because it's the French word for dog, just as derailleur is the French word for derailer. You use the English pronunciation of derailer so why don't you also use the English spelling?
>>
Every American bike maintenance video ever.

>K guise its yo main boii luis ahnd todeyyy we're gonna tackle the workings of teh DEY-RAIL-I-YUR
>>
>>1072106
>americants gonna americant
Move along. Nothing to see.
>>
>>1072102
Because derailleur in this context is a BICYCLE-SPECIFIC WORD. If I was using the word 'derailer' as in something that derails in a general context, I would spell it derailer. However, the bicycle part is called a derailleur. Derailleur is the English word for the bicycle component, while derailer is the English word for things that derail in a general context.
>>1072106
Lol the Park Tool guy pronounces it like that.
>>
>>1072199
> If I was using the word 'derailer' as in something that derails in a general context, I would spell it derailer.
But that's what a derailer (the bike part) does. Why does it need it's own special name? There are also other kinds of derailers that take trains off tracks, yet we don't call it a descarrilador (Catalan language).
>>
>>1072215
>But that's what a derailer (the bike part) does. Why does it need it's own special name?
A bike is just a vehicle, why not just call it a vehicle? A knobby tire is just a tire, why call it a knobby instead of just a tire? A brake lever is just a lever, why call it a brake lever instead of a lever? Because sometimes it's nice to have a word for a specific type of something, you thick skulled dumb American.
>>
>>1072221
Because all of those examples add clarification. A derailer doesn't need that sort of clarification, there are pretty much two kinds and one (the type that derailers trains) is unknown to many people, thus if you talk about a derailer it's pretty clear what you're talking about (for those people that are aware of both types the context will be enough to know).
>>
>>1072227
Simple answer to your question: It is simply common usage, which has come into being because names not only signify things but also ca carry additional meaning, in this case a memory to the fact that France is the birthplace of the modern derailleur. Also, at some point the word gets codified in regulations and literature, catalogues etc. Once a spelling is so well established, it is hard to change.

Finally, as my English professor always liked to stress: English spelling today is more or less the way 17th century French people spelled contemporary English. Ever wondered why "house" has an "ou"? Because it was pronounced "hoos" back then (like in boot). French spelling for that? "ou".
The modern pronunciation is a result of a so called vowel shift that ironically made the "ou" a nice match suddenly. If you bitch about French spelling, you have some work to do, mate.
>>
>>1072199
Yeah I basically meant park tool anyway.
pls Don't hate me Americans x(
>>
>>1072227
No because derailer isn't just about derailleurs (aka bicycle drivetrain derailers) and train derailers, it's about anything that derails
you fucking fag
>>1072254
Thanks for not being a fag!
>>
>>1072304
>it's about anything that derails
Such as? As I said, context will make it quite clear that it is a bicycle derailer that is being discussed. When you go into a bike shop and ask them to show you the saddles you don't need to clarify that it's for a bicycle and not a horse.
>>
but how do you say "pannier"

is it "pan-yur" or "pan-yay"?
>>
>>1072825
pan-ee-er
>>
>>1072317
>>1072227
>>1072215
>>1072102
>>1071685
You're the flat bar road bike autist aren't you? It's either that or we have another autist in our ranks who can't comprehend the way languages work.
>>
>>1072865
So I'm autistic because I don't want to use a silly French word when we have a perfectly good English word to use instead? Do you also think Sheldon is autistic, blasphemer?
>>
>>1072875
Yes and yes. Not that there's anything wrong with being autistic. It just explains your inability to understand how languages work.

Do you also refuse to use any well established loan words as long as there is some obscure English word for the same thing even if it's not used normally?
>>
>>1072876
Derailer isn't obscure, it's easier to spell and is actually spelt the way it is pronounced.
>>
>>1072881
It's obscure in the way that practically no one use it to describe a bike part.
>>
>>1072889
And yet everyone understands it. In fact if someone had never seen derailleur written down before they'd probably spell it as derailer, because that's how most people pronounce it.
>>
>>1072896
They'd also spell dough as dow. You're hitting boardman-kun levels of autism.
>>
>>1072951
No, because we're taught in school how to spell dough. Most people will come across the word derail multiple times in their life and if someone mentioned a derailer that's how they're gonna spell it.
>>
>>1072953
Admit it, you _are_ boardman. Dear lord, what crippling autism. I almost pity you, but you're not quite worth even that.
>>
>>1072957
Why are you so obsessed with him? Do you think that it's only possible for one person to ever disagree with you, and that that person must be autistic to do so? You're like a child that resorts to mocking someone else's voice when they're losing an argument.
>>
>>1072962
Samefag much? There are many people with whom I disagree. Most of those I have no problem respecting. The problem with you is that you are obviously, literally autistic, and yet don't have the self awareness to fuck right off and stop shitting up this board with your mental illness. You're incapable of forming a coherent train of thought. You're incapable of seeing reason. You're incapable of understanding the workings of minds and people who do not suffer your particular neurological dysfunction - and yet you persist. You keep repeating childlike, naive reinterpretations of established rules of communication, and in spite of great pedagogic efforts on the part of multiple people you put your fingers in your ears and scream LA-LA-LA-LA-LA as loud as you can, while repeating your long since refuted non-arguments as if nothing happened. You are impervious to common sense.

Now to be clear, this is my third reply to you in this thread. You may wish to play this of as 'that one OBSESSED dude', but the one falling that idea - it's you. You just did exactly that.

You and your literal autism is a literal meme. Now, will you kindly fuck right off forever because the whole board is sick of your bullshit, m-kay?
>>
>>1072972
Brah, I actually know some people with autism and I can assure you that I am not autistic. Stop using it as some sort of defence because you can no longer be bothered to continue the argument, just don't reply to me if you don't want to.

Sheldon isn't autistic, I'm not autistic, and other's that agree with him and me are not automatically autistic either. Being logical is not autistic. It is illogical to use butchered French spelling with incorrect pronunciation when there exists a perfectly good English alternative. I would say that to insist otherwise for the sake of retrogrouch tradition is autistic but to do so would be childish.
>>
>>1072976
>Sheldon isn't autistic
On that we'll agree.
>I'm not autistic
On that we'll disagree. I defer to your neuropsychiatrist.
>and other's that agree with him and me are not automatically autistic either
Which is not the issue. There's what, and there's how. The what reasonable, neurotypical people can have respectful disagreement on, depending on the how. That's where great Sheldon-sama and lowly boardman-kun differ. In the how. And of course that Sheldon has demonstrated a great understanding of bicycles and bicycle culture, albeit a bastardised and americanised flavour of it. Therefore, his opinions and little eccentricities merit much greater appreciation and leniency than the boards own posterboy for autisms. Sheldon has earned that right, hard. You, on the other hand, is inconsequential to the world in general, and the nomenclature of cycling in particular, flatbar-kun.
>>
Get a room already you couple of autists
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.