/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dérrailleurs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

So I fucked up my dérailleur after god knows how many miles and thus need a new one.
Had quite a biking and bike fixing hiatus, so it's been forever since I last worked on that part of my bike.
The adjustment I can probably figure out (I heard there is a thing called youtube…), but I'm not quite sure how I can mix and match stuff.
The original one is an old as shit shimano deore XT, but since it is my "I'm-so-rusty-that-you-must-be-really-stupid-to-steal-me beater bike", I dont wan't to buy an expensive one. Can I simply bolt on some Alivio shit and reuse my shifter (assuming it's an 8)? What about other brands, like the pictured SRAM or some random chink shit?
>>
>>1070615
You could get a friction shifter and then use any derailleur that you please. What sort of failure happened to the Deore?
>>
>>1070615
Any Shimano 8-speed rear derailleur will work. SRAM will not work, because SRAM and Shimano rear derailleurs use different shift ratios, meaning that for a given amount of cable pull, the derailleur will move a different amount. Therefore, SRAM rear derailleurs only work with SRAM shifters, and Shimano rear derailleurs only work with Shimano shifters.
While going with the proper speed rear derailleur is often not entirely necessary, it's a good idea for optimal performance (and in some cases, it IS necessary), meaning you need an 8-speed derailleur. These are often marketed as "7/8 speed" meaning they are compatible with both 7-speed and 8-speed drive trains; this is perfectly acceptable.
If you want all the nerdy details, read this (if not, ignore this): http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

tl;dr your new derailleur must be:
>Shimano
>8-speed
Other details don't matter, just get whatever quality/pricepoint you want
>>
>>1070657
>What sort of failure happened to the Deore?
an age of about 15 years, daily commuter duty with parking outside all the time and a very salty winter. Seems like it finally died, after something bent my chains and I didnt realize until I stepped in with full force. Sad.
>>
>>1070662
>science-behind-the-magic
Well, with that in the url, I gotta read it. thanks!
>>
>>1070662
Oh, and a few things I forgot to mention. It has to have the correct mount type. So in your case, probably just a standard mount, but some low-end derailleurs/bikes use a derailleur with an integrated hanger, as opposed to the hanger being part of the frame or bolted onto the frame as a separate part from the derailleur. Post a pic of your frame at the point where the derailleur mounts if you want us to tell you for sure. Some rear derailleurs have different mounting systems.

You also may need a long-cage derailleur if you have a wide gearing range, which I'm guessing you do.

So tl;dr
>Shimano
>8-speed
>long-cage
>correct mount type
>>
File: derailleur mount types.jpg (72KB, 1250x1350px) Image search: [Google]
derailleur mount types.jpg
72KB, 1250x1350px
I just made this pic to help explain the two mount styles.

There's technically a third (Shimano direct mount/shadow derailleur) but don't worry about that
>>
File: shadow.jpg (23KB, 309x350px) Image search: [Google]
shadow.jpg
23KB, 309x350px
>>1070668
And here's the direct mount/shadow style. Notice how unlike the standard derailleur which has one mounting bolt, this has two bolts right next to each other.
Make sure you do NOT get this type (because I'm almost certain your old derailleur is not this type, and your bike is therefore not designed for this type)
>>
>>1070668
>>1070669
I'm currently not at my bike, but I think I have the 2nd version, but yeah, I was going to check those details before buing anyways.
>>
Jesus Christ people are way over complicating this. Any fucking shimano RD will work as long as it is 9 speed or less. 7 8 9 speed same shit.
>>
>>1070669
That's actually just a regular derailer mount, the direct mount ones use the left most bolt (the short link plate is removable on Shadow plus derailers, regular Shadow ones aren't compatible with direct mount frames). The only difference is the derailer pivots at that left bolt instead of where it bolts to the frame.
>>
>>1070701
>Jesus Christ people are way over complicating this.
Well, there are some caveats. 9-speed is actually the only one that you can *guarantee* will work.

Any Shimano 6, 7, or 8 rear derailleur (except Dura Ace!) will work with your 8-speed Deore XT shifter. Any Shimano 9-speed rear derailleur will work, period, no exceptions. Also any Shimano 10-speed *road* rear derailleur will work, but not the 10-speed MTB "Dyna Sys" derailleur.

I'd recommend getting a Deore RD-M591. They're available new, and not particularly more expensive than whatever Alivio/Acera shit you're looking at.

>>1070668
>>1070669
Dude, the Shadow derailleurs mount just the same as the standard type. The linkage keeps the derailleur tucked in further under the chainstay (to try and prevent damage on MTBs), but it's 100% compatible and interchangeable with normal mount style.
>>
>>1070701
Yeah say this when he buys a derailleur with a built in hanger and asks why it doesn't work
>>
>>1070662
Assuming OP has 8 speed shimano shifter

This is 50% correct.

Almost any shimano 9 or lower speed deraileur will work. Exception being DuraAce 7400 series.

Almost any shimano 10 speed road deraileur will work. Exception being Tiagra 4700.

Almost any microshift deraileur will work. Much of the higher grade chink shit will work ( Microshift, sunrace etc ).

There are also some obscure SRAM and Sachs deraileurs that would work, but those are very, very rare these days.
>>
>>1070767
>Almost any shimano 9 or lower speed deraileur will work. Exception being DuraAce 7400 series.

Except 7400/7410 was a 6/7/8 speed group. Dura Ace 7700 was the first 9-speed DA group, and the RD works with any other 9-speed Shimano stuff.

>Almost any shimano 10 speed road deraileur will work. Exception being Tiagra 4700.

TIL about Tiagra 4700, thanks anon (and fuck you, Shimano). Sounds like it's basically an 11-speed RD with a special shifter to shift across 10-speed cassettes?
>>
>>1070774
>Almost any shimano 9 or lower speed deraileur will work.
>9 or lower speed
6, 7, and 8 are lower than 9.
>>
>>1070774
>Sounds like it's basically an 11-speed RD with a special shifter to shift across 10-speed cassettes?
Yes, because the older cable pull ratio didn't work very well with stealth cabling.
>>
>>1070813
...and you don't want dura-ace/105 people buying tiagra cassettes.
>>
>>1070664
>>1070662
holy cow, talk about information overload.
that's great if you want to learn about how they are engineered, here's the super simple tl;dr version

http://www.bike.bikegremlin.com/2016/05/18/bicycle-rear-derailleur-compatibility/

basically, with shimano, don't worry about derailleur type/cable pull ratios for either mountain or road until you get up to 9 speed. just make sure you have the right chain capacity and max/min cog size. also make sure it has the right type of mounting like >>1070669
>>1070668
said.

I'd say go with a compatible mountain derailleur. it's a bit heavier but they design them to stick out less which means it doesn't get beat to shit as much, and while heavier than a road derailleur, it doesn't make a noticeable difference unless you're racing or are a weight weenie. that extra weight also means beefier parts and more durable.
>>
Seriously, how do you people manage to fuck your derailleurs up?
>>
>>1070867
cheap derailleurs are like play-doh. I crashed my shit bike on the drive site twice, more of a drop than a crash and it fucked up the shimano tourney derailleur when i tried to bend it out of the spokes.
>>
>>1070813
>>1070774
>>1070767
Wait, can you turn 4700 Tiagra into 11 speed by changing 11 speed shifters and cassette in? Asking for a friend.
>>
>>1070873
>>1070874

if it isn't already an 11 speed, you will have issues with hub size and spacing.
https://blog.performancebike.com/2013/10/25/our-take-10-speed-vs-11-speed/
"Do you need new wheels?

Answer: Yes*. Contrary to what you read on many bike message boards, you do need a new rear wheel; the reason being that the new wider cassettes require a wider axle than a 9/10-speed wheel. If you look at an 11-speed wheel, the drive-side spokes are nearly in-line with the hub flange. The exception being Campagnolo users, who’s 9- and 10-speed wheels should still work with 11-speed. For SRAM/Shimano users, conversion kits do exist from some manufacturers, but it can sometimes be a pretty involved process requiring removal of axles, re-truing and re-dishing. And, of course, the manufacturer cannot guarantee how a wheel will perform with a converted freehub. Your best bet is to get a new wheel.

*with the exception of Mavic wheels with an M10 freehub body, which technically should work with Shimano 11-speed if you leave off the Mavic spacer"

and http://www.velonews.com/2013/09/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-drivetrain-compatibility-for-10-and-11-speed_301392

also, if you swap out the cassette and shifters, you've already changed the biggest components of the drive train, so why not just go whole hog and swap everything out. although if you have to change hubs it's more involved. this is why I think anything above 9. 10 speed only rarely gets a pass. 11 and 12 can screw off
>>
>>1070873
supplement to >>1070875

in general, with things like cassettes, they will be backwards compatible. if you have a cassette of a certain number, say 11 speed, you can put anything lower on it. 10 can match anything below it, and on. compatibility between brands is something i'm not sure on.

bottom brackets are similar. if you have a large diameter shell, and has a small width, say 68mm which is for road, you can use spacers and put something with a smaller diameter or wider in. the names and nomenclature just confuse things.
>>
>>1070873
Yes - if you have a rear hub that you can fit an 11-speed cassette on. Shimano road 11-speed requires a new, wider freehub body than was used on the 8/9/10 speed cassettes.

They fit MTB 11-speed on the same old 8/9/10-speed freehub body by dishing the largest cog in toward the spokes, but they couldn't do that with smaller road cassettes.
>>
>>1070873
There's no point. The derailleur is such a tiny fraction of the cost of the group. The shifters are an order of magnitude more expensive; the cassette is twice as expensive; the new wheel is five times at least; the fucking chain cost as much as the RD - you get the idea.

It's like saying you can turn your Honda into a Ferrari if you replace every part of it but the wheel glove.
>>
>>1070875
>>1070878
>>1070879
>>1070893
>implying cassettes don't ever need replacing
>implying large portion of bikes with 4700 Tiagra don't have 11 speed compatible hub
Yeah buying a new bike with Tiagra and converting it to 11 speeds might not make much sense. However if you have 12 speed hub and your cassette is worn and needs replacing it might make sense if you happen to find cheap 11 speed STIs.
>>
File: IMG_20170127_221821_863.jpg (1MB, 3120x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170127_221821_863.jpg
1MB, 3120x3120px
>>1070875
I upgraded from a 9 to a 10.

9 speed is wider than the 10 speed cassette so you need a spacer.

You only need one shifter.

I also couldn't find a good deal on a 10 speed crankset so I used an 11speed crankset.

My bike is 9 speed tiagra front brifter, 10 speed rear brifter from microshift an off brand China company, 11 speed crankset, 11 speed front Derailleur both 105 but the crankset I put a tiagra 53/39 chain ring on, 10 speed kmc chain, 9 speed wheel, 10 speed cassette, 10 speed 1.0mm flat washer on hub, and 10 spd 105 rd

I did it all because someone on bikesforums said it can't be done. Literally everything on my bike is something someone said can't be one.

Including putting hollowtech II bottom bracket on a frame designed for cartridge bb

Someone also said titanium frames don't exist on bike forums well my bike must not exist
>>
>>1071101
" You can't put campagnolo skewers on a Shimano wheel"

Front skewer is campy on my bike

" You can't miss match the top and bottom bearings on a headset"

Top is canecreek, bottom is fsa orbit under an FSA orbit bearing cap.

" You can't use a carbon fiber seatpost on titanium without fiber grip" not a drop of fiber grip on it.

"You can't use old style non-cantilever skewers on a modern day bike"

I have it sitting on a bike trainer using those skewers right now

You can't drill out presta valve stem holes to accept 700c Schrader valve stem

Well I fucking did and it works just fine
>>
>>1071101
>>1071102
>b-but the mechanic at my LBS told me you can't do that so how dare you do it
>>
>>1070873
Does this also mean that I can't use anyother 10 speed cassette with my Tiagra 4700 groupset? Well, fuck.
>>
>>1071101
>Including putting hollowtech II bottom bracket on a frame designed for cartridge bb
But what kind of raging retard would say that can't be done? They're specifically designed to be compatible with BSA frames. Sounds more like someone confusing cartridge (square taper, ISIS or Octalink) with pressfit.
>>
>>1071124
Cassettes are the same. Only the wire pull ratio is changed. The actual movement is unaffected.
>>
>>1071102
>" You can't put campagnolo skewers on a Shimano wheel"
>" You can't miss match the top and bottom bearings on a headset"
>"You can't use old style non-cantilever skewers on a modern day bike"
Whoever said this is just plain retarded.

>" You can't use a carbon fiber seatpost on titanium without fiber grip" not a drop of fiber grip on it.
You don't have to, but it's a good idea with carbon seatposts, bars, and steerers no matter what the material clamping them is. If you don't crank down on it like a gorilla it's not a big deal, it just won't be gripped as tight as it could be and could slip at some point.

>You can't drill out presta valve stem holes to accept 700c Schrader valve stem
Similarly to above, you certainly can but depending on the rim width it may not be the best idea. There's no reason to use Schrader anyway, it's objectively inferior to Presta.
>>
i honestly can't tell if sieg is trolling or not, but if what they are saying is true, i am feeling really confident in my choice to ignore bike advice from internet forums and imageboards.
>>
>>1071101
>I did it all because someone on bikesforums said it can't be done. Literally everything on my bike is something someone said can't be one.
You can't have a radially spoked rear wheel.
>>
>>1071186
Depends on the brake type. But radially lacing one side of the rear wheel is plenty of possible.
>>
>>1070615
Niglets
>>
>>1071418
Didn't say anything about half radial
>>
>>1071418
I'll probably end up doing this one day.

What I really want to do next is buy a flat bar hybrid that everyone says you can't put drops on and build it up with a spare 10 speed 105 groupset I bought from nashbar returns clearance
>>
>>1071136
>There's no reason to use Schrader anyway,

My air gun at home is from snap-on I don't want to buy the park tool one since I have one that fits my plumbing already.

Also

I can fill up my tires at any gas station in the city rather than carry co2 canisters
>>
>>1070730
Most regular Shadow RD's (770, 592, 593, 970, 3000, 4000, and obviously the newer ones, 610, etc) are indeed DM-compatible.
>>
File: 31126920814_839e46b938_k.jpg (546KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
31126920814_839e46b938_k.jpg
546KB, 1536x2048px
>>1071470
>My air gun at home is from snap-on I don't want to buy the park tool
>park tool
Park tool makes some nice bike tools, but their pump is garbage. The chuck is the most useless piece of crap and you're lucky if the gauge reads accurately to begin with, much less after 3 months or so. The check valve usually starts sticking after a few months as well.

I know you're probably talking about a hand chuck for your compressor rather than a floor pump, but given how bad their floor pumps are, I wouldn't trust an air tool from them.

Pictured: My shit Park Tool pump with a new gauge from the hardware store electrical taped on, and a cheapo replacement Serfas pump head that's infinitely better than the one it came with.
>>
>>1070657
Is there any difference between brands of derailleurs? Can I replace my bent rear Campagnolo derailleur with a Shimano one and keep the rest of the group set Campagnolo and Huret? I have friction shifters.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.