[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

An ode to UK public transport

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: citaro.jpg (3MB, 3600x1827px) Image search: [Google]
citaro.jpg
3MB, 3600x1827px
Feel free to post anything related to public transport in the UK - including bus, trains, trams etc.

An ode to First Manchester - a marmite situation of sorts

FirstBus' operations in Manchester can be laughable at times, with buses running over 10 minutes late or even not turning up - usually to unknown reasons. Yes, traffic is a major factor and is acceptable - but its when the service is heavily delayed during quieter times which is...annoying to say the least, especially during the evening when the frequency is half hourly.

Despite this, Manchester has quite an interesting fleet of vehicles with the majority being around ten years old or even older (with some nearly reaching the twenty year mark). An example of this is the Mercedes Benz O530 Citaro fleet, with these being the first vehicles of the type in the UK, with them being introduced around 1999/2000. These are now in varying fucked conditions. There's also the usual Wright bodied Volvo stuff found all over the UK, old Dennis Tridents and other usual vehicles operated by First which a cba to mention.
>>
In Aberdeen First is even worse, if they aren't trying to run over pedestrians and cyclists they are going through red lights. I have seen not nor did then run reds than cyclists! Stagecoach buses are driven much more responsibly and have better service in terms of turning up on time and notifying users in advance of timetable changes.
I have also seen foamers get to walk around with employees around the buses in the yard to take pictures up close of the buses in movement.
>>
Try living in Bristol.
>>
>>1069644
I like the idea of free competition in UK in case of public transport, but the amount of different companies with different, messed up prices seems very confusing. Only London has a ''unified'' system of trains, trams, metros and buses while places like Manchester have a separate tram system, dozens bus companies etc.
>>
File: lastbus.jpg (345KB, 1991x1334px) Image search: [Google]
lastbus.jpg
345KB, 1991x1334px
>>1069791
Competition doesn't really exist with transport.
It's not like going into a shop and selecting one brand of product over another.
Having 2 bus companies operating similar routes just seems wasteful. Twice the pollution, and once you've bought your ticket you just have to use the same operator.

It only works with the London system where the operators are simply fulfilling tenders issued by government (TfL), so the routes are efficiently set to meet demand and ticketing is not confusing (oyster card).

The idea of bus wars with drivers literally fighting to collect passengers and timetables being changed at the last minute to be 1 minute before a rival just seems dangerous and wasteful. And once the other company is out of business you just get the old prices (or higher) and the service declines again.
>>
sadik kahn
>>
>>1069794
?
>>
>>1069793
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxi_wars_in_South_Africa
this if we had truly free market busses
>>
I miss the late 113 bus from Preston to Wigan, getting in Wigan at about 0015, turning around and going back north as far as shevington vale, IIRC it got to shevington at about 0040 or so, very very comfy bus and hardly anyone else ever on it
>>
>>1069791
>I like the idea of free competition in UK in case of public transport

You might like the idea of it, and so do I, but in practice it's a fucking nightmare.

I live in the North East and there are so many fucking bus companies, and their tickets don't apply to others at all. It means you can't buy day tickets that apply for the whole system, and the prices for transport are daftly high anyway.

The metro's good I suppose. When it's on time. Which is never.
>>
I lived in London for three years then moved up to the Midlands. Buses here are an absolute nightmare clusterfuck, there are like 20 different companies servicing the city alone each of which only run a few routes all with different websites, pricing schemes, timetables and all with their own fucking version of the Oyster card which is completely useless unless you commute on the same bus every day (granted probably a large proportion of bus users seeing as you'd have to be mental to try and take one somewhere you've never been before).
>>
Why the hell would UK double decker bus have so little capacity? That capacity is almost just as much as single decker elsewhere in the world...
>>
The shitty bus system is to prevent terrorist attacks. If the terrorist doesn't know when a bus will arrive it stops their plans.
>>
>>1077962
Many years and a shitty job ago I had to depend on a single bus to get to work, said bus was never ever on time and consistently 10 minutes late so I eventually just scheduled around this.

Of course one day it actually shows up on time fucking me over and making me late to work.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.