[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Folding bikes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: 20170122_202953.jpg (298KB, 1309x903px) Image search: [Google]
20170122_202953.jpg
298KB, 1309x903px
My generic $150 Amazon folding bike. The gear ratio seems too low for road use. Even in 6th gear I spin like nuts on the flats and don't seem to go fast enough. They probably put normal size gears on a 20 incher. Oh well. Should I rebuild it with BMX wheels/hubs as a SS freewheel or coaster brake bike? Does anyone enjoy their folding bikes? It's not too bad for commuting or basic off-roading though. I might put some Kenda Kwest or other colored BMX tires on it to make a more fun looking bike. The low gear ratio really bugs me though, which is why I don't ride it that much.
>>
i was thinking of aquiring one as a second bike incase my beater gets a flat or someone goes to my house and we need to move around.
i find them cute, is it worth it?
>>
>>1069591
>i find them cute, is it worth it?
I have one, they are good for low distances, 4-10km (20km loop), mine has pretty beefy 20'' wheels. The bad thing about the bike is the weight, weights more than my road bike, and the seatpost is kinda short, so it hurts my knees a bit on big hills. Overall is a pretty nice BSO., I have used it a lot, and carried plenty of times 25kg-30kg loads on it without problems except some rubbing with my shoes.
>>
>>1069651
You have the $150 amazon one?

I've been thinking of getting a Brompton or a Tern or some such thing, is it not really worth the extra? What does the extra cost get you?
>>
>>1069673
No, I'm the one with the $150 amazon one. It's generic; appears to have been made by a Taiwanese company. The low gear ratio is the main problem with the bike. It doesn't seem fast but I have no way of actually knowing how fast I go. The frame is sturdy enough. It is heavy for its size, even for a hi-ten bike. The headset is noisy; it probably needs grease. The seatpost is more than long enough for me, and I'm 5' 11". If anything bad happens I will put BMX parts on it and make a SS bike. I like having gears, but it's not super useful if you can't go fast on the flats. It does well going up hills for a 6 speed.
>>
B U M P
>>
File: speeduno2[1].jpg (149KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
speeduno2[1].jpg
149KB, 640x480px
I bought pic related for my 2 mile commute to the bus stop. Its ok but I dont do distance on it because it sucks on shitty roads and speed bumps. Definitely the best minimalist bike available imo.
>>
>>1069447
Best folding bike coming through!
>>
>>1070655
If I do the coaster brake conversion with BMX parts, it could look like your bike. That's a very nice one.

Also, it turns out the noise isn't coming from the headset; it's the steerer hinge. I can't really do anything about it.
>>
File: 20170509_224453.jpg (106KB, 800x1422px) Image search: [Google]
20170509_224453.jpg
106KB, 800x1422px
>>1069447
OP here. My final exams ended Monday. I have one more semester left after this summer. On my way home I was excited and attempted a wheelie. I lifted up the front wheel WAY too fast (I had no idea what I was doing), and somehow went sideways. I have road rash all over my face, arms, and my shoulder is in serious pain (I think I sprained it). I don't think I broke or seriously tore anything, but this really sucks since I don't really think I can ride like this. It wasn't really the bike's fault. It was mine for trying to show off on a bike that handles differently. It sucks because I didn't even really want to ride it, but my road bike and mountain bike both went flat in a very small time interval, and I was waiting for Amazon to ship new tubes and a tire. Be careful guys.
>>
folding bikes are evil!

a woman could get pleasure from the folding mechanism and then what?

they should be banned and the owners circumcised!
>>
Trying to find a good deal on a used folder under $400. Besides Dahon/Tern, what else do you guys like? I've started to look at Citizens, Origamis, Downtubes as well.
>>
>>1071467
>tubes
>mtb

bro you should do a tubeless conversion its ez as fuck
>>
>>1071467
>not having spare chains, patchkit, tubes, cabling set, bar tape and other definitely-going-to-need-sooner-or-later spare parts at home
u dun goofed

You don't order a wearing part when you need it replaced. You order when you're using your spare. Let the head bump be a reminder.
>>
>>1074585
>Let the head bump be a reminder.
Well, that's not the bike's fault I did a wheelie and failed miserably. Everything has healed now. I have Vittoria Morsas on the mountain bike and cheap CST gumwalls on the 10 speed. I haven't rode the folder since. It's nice riding a bike that actually takes effort to pedal on flats and goes fast.
>>
>>1075182
I dont think you understand the purpose of a folding bike.
>t. folding bike fan
>>
>>1075184
I don't think the gear ratio should be that low. I mean I was spinning far more than on a BMX bike in the highest gear. If you rode it, you wouldn't like it. Could I replace the chainring with something bigger maybe?
>>
>>1075191
>Could I replace the chainring with something bigger maybe?

I have an old gutted BMX bike sitting around, I wonder if the front cog has more teeth. Not sure how it will play with the existing chain and derailleur. Would I need to make it longer?
>>
>>1075191
You could. It's still a bike.
The point of a folding bike is to be able to be stashed on public transit or in cars. It's for part of a commute, not all of it.
>>
>>1075193
>The point of a folding bike is to be able to be stashed on public transit or in cars. It's for part of a commute, not all of it.

I know. I don't expect it to be as fast as a road bike or even a mountain bike. But having 6 speeds is worthless when the ratio is so small. In 1st gear it climbs very steep/rough hills almost as well as my mountain bike. I might do the SS swap and make it a coaster since I have also been having issues with the brakes. All I would need is a hose clamp for the coaster brake and a SS chain, which I could probably find at Wal-Mart or order one from Amazon. I have many old BMX rear wheels and they seem to be in good shape. Right now it is almost the opposite of a SS bike, it's awesome on hills but useless on flats and downhills.
>>
>>1075195
Go for the conversion.
I have a citizen and the stock gearing on it was pretty good.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.