[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wheel truing with a zip tie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_2168.jpg (40KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2168.jpg
40KB, 480x640px
Has anyone ever used a zip tie for wheel truing? Is it effective?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4jLnfcNO0jA
>>
File: $_1.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
Yup, all you need is a point of reference to spot a wobble. Sometimes I just use the brake pads as a reference for a quick adjustment. On my truing stand I use a dial indicator and adjustable arm which makes it easy to find the most out of true spots quickly.

Once you find an out of true spot, just pluck the spokes like guitar strings to find the one whose pitch is lower than the ones next to it.
>>
>>1067824
>dial indicator
>spoke sounds
Okay.. you need to have someone who actually knows how to true wheels show you the right way to do it.

You do not need the accuracy of a dial indicator. The arms on your truing stand are more than enough.

Spoke tension does not equal loose spoke(s). The tension of each spoke can be different, especially if the wheel in question has had at least one broken spoke over the course of it's lifetime.

I don't even own a truing stand or trust myself to true a wheel on my own bikes and I know these things. Please update your knowledge and skills before advising others, thanks.
>>
>>1067833
>Okay.. you need to have someone who actually knows how to true wheels show you the right way to do it.
Implying having wheels trued to less than 5/1000 of an inch is wrong.
>>
>>1067833
You're retarded. The best trying stands use dial indicators because they measure instead of just scrape.
>>
>>1067770
Worked for me each time.
>>
>>1067833
>he chooses to do things more precisely than other people
>there's a problem with that
Fuck off you fucking downtubing idiot.
>>
>>1067770
Shit, I never knew that Fitzgerald rode a bicycle. Seems like he would have been too drunk.
>>
>>1067833
>being OK with wheels that have uneven tension and a history of broken spokes
...I don't even...
just fuck off
>>
>>1067770
Don't even need the zip tie
I'll just hold the spoke wrench (less painful than using your finger) to the fork as a reference
>>
>>1068081
You are honestly a genius anon
>>
>>1067770

yes generally i just hold it if i am in a hurry.

the genius of it is the fact it has an audible reference like a proffesional stand if you have ever used one

wont help you centre or dish though and 99% of it is in the skill of the person holding the spoke wrench
>>
File: IMG_20170427_113019_126.jpg (130KB, 950x950px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170427_113019_126.jpg
130KB, 950x950px
>>1067770
you don't even need a zip tie if you can use your brakes. it's effective enough until you learn the ins and outs of adjusting spoke tension. Once your skill level exceeds using primitive tools, then look into specialty tools like truing stands and dishing tools.

you don't even need a dishing tool really
>>
>>1068081
Yea but what if you need to true the back wheel smart guy?
>>
>>1068120
>tfw worked at lbs and we had dishing tool but literally no one ever used it
>no one even used the spoke tension meters
lol
>>
>>1068124
>tfw we didn't even need the cup press
that's how it is in the real world really
>>
>>1068129
Who needs a press when you have a hammer?
>>
File: press.jpg (28KB, 288x510px) Image search: [Google]
press.jpg
28KB, 288x510px
>>1068133
hammer? I prefer a little creativity and finesse
>>
>>1068123
Chainstays/Seatstays instead of fork leg
>>
>>1068144
What the fuck is a chainstay and seatstay?
>>
>>1068124
Same here

dishing tool is unnecessary, just flip the wheel around on the truing stand to check centering

and screw the tension meter, we feel it by hand
>>
File: sharpieinkstains.jpg (5KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
sharpieinkstains.jpg
5KB, 300x250px
I've used a permanent marker, worked well enough
>>
File: homemade-chainstay-protector-2.jpg (50KB, 260x195px) Image search: [Google]
homemade-chainstay-protector-2.jpg
50KB, 260x195px
>>1068145
>tubes are hard
lurk moar fagget and so on and so forth
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.