[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think about internal cable routing on bikes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Tcampionissimo_BikeFront.jpg (91KB, 383x640px) Image search: [Google]
Tcampionissimo_BikeFront.jpg
91KB, 383x640px
What do you guys think about internal cable routing on bikes with mechanical shifting?

I can't see any advantage to it besides looks..

1. maintenance becomes more annoying
2. shifting can become dumb with all the added turns it needs to make
3. sometimes its noisy/cables slap the inside of the frame
4. is incompatible with some components sometimes- IE the position of the cable insert into component like brake caliper or derailleur is in a position that is too close to the exit of the cable from the frame and makes too sharp of a curve for the housing.

I don't like internal cable routing!

Makes sense for electronic though.
>>
>can't sit on my top tube because cables
or
>can't shoulder bike because cables
or
>can't put a third bottle under downtube because cables

It might be more annoying for the mechanics but who gives a shit.
>>
>>1066442
Except when you're the mechanic yourself
>>
File: 1.jpg (1MB, 1698x1131px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1MB, 1698x1131px
>>1066448
What are you, poor?
>>
>>1066442
or
>can't use frame bag because cables
>>
my bike has internal cables and its nice thar they dont get road spray, and are out of the way so my clothes dont get snagged when commuting. also makes it easier to carry the bike around no worries of fucking up the cables

totally worth the 5 extra minutes of fuss when replacing them
>>
>>1066442
Unless you have an aluminum or steel frame, you shouldn't sit on your top tube anyway, unless you want to destroy your frame. CF frames aren't designed to take force in that direction.
>>
>>1066409
Depending on the bike, sometimes maintenance isn't that much harder. There's absolutely exceptions, fully integrated shit like on the madone is a bitch and a half. BUT something to consider, is that it helps protect the cables, which can mean less maintenance.

tucking cables away helps for MUH AERO and aesthetically keeps a bike clean. on mountain bikes it has the advantage of keeping shit out of the way, the benefits of which are obvious on a bike with moving parts, such as linkage, and something that gets thrashed around more.

I don't personally have a problem with it, it's a small plus on road bikes, especially aero bikes. But it can fuck right off on adventure/touring bikes.
>>
>>1066448
It makes a 5 minute job a 10 minute job that you do every 1 or 2 years.
>>
>>1066464
aluminum top tubes these days are far more delicate than carbon top tubes

some areas are about as thick as a soda can

I just spent 45 minutes trying to get my rear brake cable through the exit hole in the frame of my CAAD12

the entry is an integrated stop with the hole the exact diameter of brake cable so I can't use thin plastic tubing like normal

magnetic pull is too weak on the cable

vacuum+string tied to the end of the cable didn't work either because that was still too wide to get through the integrated stop

I wound up just flopping the cable back and forth in the top tube until it finally went through the tiny ass exit hole (not an integrated stop, but still too small to get any sort of tool or loop up into the frame)

fucking retarded.

I never had any issues messing cable tension up on my CX bikes that had both TT cabling or DT cabling in CX races where I was bashing the cables around on my shoulder or grabbing the TT and throwing the bike around. Never had any shifting problems due to grime getting on that area of the cabling either.

Internal cabling DOES exit the bottom bracket and DOES get gunked up there

internal cabling is fucking retarded.
>>
>>1066674

Suck through a length of strong thread with a vacuum. Then tie some string onto that string and tie that string to the cable or housing.

Everybody should be using continuous length housing these days which lasts quite a while. So you'll only have to go through this ordeal every couple years.
>>
>>1066689
told u that didnt work cuz the brake cable stop hole was just wide enough for the brake cable

i tried tying small piece of thread on the end but it was still too bulky to get through the hole
>>
>>1066477
>it helps protect the cables, which can mean less maintenance.
Ackchyually, it means you're terminating the housing several times extra and this invariably leads to _more_ maintenance due to increased cable friction and more bedding.
Bowden housing and cabling is incredibly impact resistant and doesn't need protection. It needs to run uninterrupted. Especially in dirty and wet conditions.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.