[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scarponi killed in training accident

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

RIP

>Michele Scarponi has been killed while training at home early on Saturday morning.

>According to reports in local media and Gazzetta dello Sport, the 38 year-old Astana rider had left home early for a short ride after finishing the Tour of the Alps on Friday and returning to his home in Filottrano in the central Le Marche region of Italy.
>>
What the fuck, man. Fucking cagers.
>>
Goodnight, sweet prince. https://twitter.com/MicheleScarponi/status/801038366674391040/video/1?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=MicheleScarponi&utm_content=801038366674391040
>>
>>1066240
>Scarponi killed in training accident
Trainfags will defend this.
>>
Nibali's odds of tdf victory have greatly reduced
>>
F
>>
File: 1492850365916.jpg (31KB, 422x582px) Image search: [Google]
1492850365916.jpg
31KB, 422x582px
spee F thread
https://boards.4chan.org/sp/thread/75414257#bottom
>>
>>1066240
Why would you call it a training accident when it had nothing to do with his training? If he'd taken a fall and died it would be a training accident. Getting fucking run over by a lorry is not a training accident. It's at best a traffic accident, and possibly a crime of negligence.
>>
I'm going to stop cycling. Every day I think about whether I'll become the next statistic. I've had enough fun and I'm gonna quit road cycling before I get killed.

RIP to that guy OP.
>>
>>1066323
That's what ((they)) want.
>>
That sucks. Always have to assume cagers simply don't see you, it's your job to avoid them, sadly.
>>
>>1066323
Same here. I was thinking of doing a 137 KM ride tomorrow but this really puts me off. Its amazing how careless most cagers are.
>>
>>1066323
I put my bike up for sale as soon as I heard the news. I'll have a deposit down on a new Dodge 3500 by this time tomorrow. The streets just aren't safe anymore.
>>
F
>>
That's why I ride my mtb in the woods and not a faggy road bike
>>
>>1066323
I'm trading my car for a bike and I'm really loving cycling but have almost been hit twice already. H-how bad are the statistics?
>>
File: DSC04226.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04226.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
>>
>>1066412
>yeah man me and my dudebro's with loose,ill fitting clothes are gonna go to the secluded woods and "mountainbike" :v)
>>
File: it may not be perfect.jpg (69KB, 479x640px) Image search: [Google]
it may not be perfect.jpg
69KB, 479x640px
>Fred ignores every traffic signal and law for decades because he's gottagofast and is More Important than other road users
>Finally gets pasted

This is called justice.
>>
>>1066414
Per km cycling is only marginally more dangerous than driving. Scarponi has probably rode his bike 150,000 kms, do that in car and youll probably get in a wreck at some point
>>
File: 1405792807237.jpg (325KB, 1536x1021px) Image search: [Google]
1405792807237.jpg
325KB, 1536x1021px
>>1066414
I tried looking it up out of curiosity, but it is difficult to interpret the data. The best I found was approximately 3-10 times as likely to be killed as someone driving a car for an equal distance traveled. Of course cars are faster, so a probability based on hours on the road should start to make things more even. Bicycle death statistics also include younger kids and accidents that do not include traffic. One source I saw claimed that only ~30% of bicycle deaths were due to being hit by a car.

Overall, it is not as bad as it seems especially if you take precautions. The imbalance between a car vs bike and idea that some accidents are out of your control make each incident seem much worse. The car death statistics are actually pretty terrible. I don't understand how people seem to take driving so lightly.
>>
>>1066323
more tarmac for me you utter faggot
>>
>>1066240
Good.
>>
>>1066443
>I don't understand how people seem to take driving so lightly.
Risk compensation. Every new safety feature that's introduced has the effect of making people drive less safely because they think there's less risk of severe injury or death if they crash.
>>
The parrot is still waiting for him. Also, it turns out that the person driving the van was an old man who Scarponi's father knew well. Sad shit.
>>
>>1066414
I don't think it's as bad as it looks. We get surprised and outraged everytime it happens because it is a relatively uncommon thing to happen. 35000~ Americans die every year in car on car crashes, but I don't see anyone giving up driving for that. Have your head on a swivel, keep your distance and don't take risks and you'll be fine. I know motorcycle riders who have been riding for +30 years who have never even had a close call. It's about attitude and caution.
>>
>>1067160
Right in the feels.
>>
>a car overtakes me by a hair length even though there is no oncoming traffic

>going downhill 60 km/h+
>overtaking car didn't stop when he saw me
>he squeezed through somehow, i had to ride on the white line just to not get hit (and probably die as our combined speed was way over 100 km/h or 60mph)

>some old hag cut me off at the last moment (if she waited a second or two more i would have passed)
>slammed my hand on the back side of the car but luckily didn't break anything though it hurt like hell for a week

>numerous other occasions when they tried to cut me off (city riding)

Being a road cyclist in a third world shithole is a pain.
Got myself a MTB now and do road cycling mostly on traffic sparse mountain roads.
>>
>>1066544
WTF? I don't see why bicyclists don't take riding more seriously. There big ass cars out there that will kill you.
>>
>>1066414
If you're in America, chances aren't good. I too have had a couple of occasions where I nearly got hit. Combined with the typical heckling of some drivers I just don't feel enthusiastic about riding sometimes unless it's on a dedicated bike trail with few crossings.

When I bother to listen to the local news I might hear of a cyclist being hit a couple of times a month. I shudder to think how much they really report it and how many incidents go unreported by the news.

I've seen the aftermath of one not too far from my home, a shocked cager with a bicycle in the middle of the road once - clearly an accident had happened. The cyclist I assume was already en route to the hospital but I think he probably died, don't know as I didn't see the incident on the news. I've seen nastier aftermaths involving mopeds and motorcycles, though it doesn't top the worst cage on cage accidents on the highway I've seen.
>>
>>1066443
>>1066544
Here in the states it is far too easy to get a license probably thanks to the automaker, oil, and insurance lobbyists.

>>1067988
It's a two way street. More often than not I see a few cyclists that do very, very, stupid things. It's often that guy that thinks he's invincible, those types usually do themselves in sooner or later and die young.
>>
>>1066293
what does all the "F" mean?
>>
>>1068108
It's a dumbfuck newfag meme in which posting 'F' is supposed to be paying respect to a dead guy
>>
>>1068076
The thing that bicyclists seem to always forget is that they are riding on roads which were designed for automobiles. Forgetting this is a ticket to serious injury.
>>
>>1068193
>roads were designed for automobiles
How did people move around before the invention of cars?
>>
>>1068195
They moved around on roads that were designed for horse-drawn wagons. If there had been an internet in those days, it would have been filled with idiot bicyclists complaining about all the horse shit.
>>
>>1068319
No chill
>>
>>1068319
But everyone even pedestrians were complaining about horse shit then.
>>
I'm surprised that more details about the accident haven't surfaced. I really doubt it was Scarponi's fault or caused by any reckless behaviour from him.
>>
>>1066414
after i've bought my new bike exactly a year ago i have been hit once and about 5 times i could have been hit heavily but i avoided them because i could see the retarded woman about to make the mistake (6 times it was a woman) keep in mind that they were all in fault and i was lucky she braked after i got hit or i would have thrown in oncoming traffic. Tbh if you're not suicidal i would avoid places where cars turn stop get out of parking spots and make movements that aren't straight
>>
>>1068650
Trusting a cager to follow traffic regulations IS reckless.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.