[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linear induction motors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: aps_tram.jpg (71KB, 1000x323px) Image search: [Google]
aps_tram.jpg
71KB, 1000x323px
Is it possible (not feasible) to build a tram/streetcar running on LIMs? What would happen with induction tracks on street, in dedicated and shared lane setting?
>>
>tram
>shares road with cars
>steel cars
>big, powerful magnets in ground
>steel cars
>magnet
>steel
no
>>
>>1062782

lol, you can do the aluminum reaction plate in the road, but the odds of the plate getting fucked up or stolen is high
>>
>>1062793
Sure. Not saying it is feasible.
Would appreciate a linear synchronous motor scenario too. Don't know a lot about LIMs and LSMs, just curious.
>>
>>1062784
this. overhead catenary is so simple and cost effective there-s little point in these contraption.
>>
File: baggage-handling-system-load2.jpg (49KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
baggage-handling-system-load2.jpg
49KB, 400x266px
>>1062782
The infamous Denver International Airport baggage system used carts which were had an aluminum plate on the bottom. The carts didn't have motors but were driven along by passing through a series of linear induction motors. The LIM system seemed to work fine but the rest of the system had many problems. Check out this article:
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/blog/broadway_17th/2015/02/dia20-the-high-techairport-baggage-system-that.html
>>
>>1062967
And I sue Denver Airport for erasing all the floppy disks in my checked luggage.
>>
>>1063096
Hopefully it didn't also screw with all your cassette tapes too.
>>
>>1062967
Well the origin of this thread is I see all those linear motor metros and AGTs, wondering how a light rail version would work, especially at-grade. Shared lane on the road is extra fun. These industrial applications are well-established, along with heavy and intermediate (medium capacity) rail propulsion.

>>1062784
How much of an effect would that be? It's not like you are using car-lifting electromagnets. They can be turned off together with the power supply in the section. Ditto for magnet strength of your car's steel for LSMs. On a side note magnetic roads aren't unheard of, hell inductive charging and propulsion sounds the most sci-fi for self-driving BEVs.

>>1062873
Thought it would be a good idea to explore, one step further than ground-level power.
>>
>>1062784

>big, powerful magnets in ground

You don't need magnets in the ground, just metal.
>>
>>1063234
The way the DIA system worked, there were powerful driving electromagnets mounted every 50 feet or so under the track. When the aluminum plate from a cart came through a slot in the driver, power was applied and the cart was accelerated to the next driver. This went on and on. I was working at DIA when the system was being tested. Sometimes a driver would stop working. Then a cart would stall until the next cart came along and slammed into it. If there were bags in the carts, they would go flying up in the air. Great fun but I wouldn't want to ride in a trolley that worked that way.
>>
>>1062967
But why?
>>
>>1062784
Or pacemakers...
>>
>>1063310
That is if you and >>1062784 make the primary side trackside for these systems. >>1062793 >>1063234 makes the logical choice in rail of making the train mount the primary side and the secondary side the plate on the ground.

>>1063396
Don't realize how maglevs and conventional linear rail are killing people every day at such a distance.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.