[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Political calculus of mass transit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Waterloo ION LRT.jpg (240KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Waterloo ION LRT.jpg
240KB, 1280x960px
How do you feel about the fact that a small city of 300K people in Canada has received a massive federal and provincial funding to build a $800M light metro-tier LRT (separate right of way, grade-separation at several points) over much larger cities that were denied such funding?

The one big difference between this city and the other cities that were denied was that this city is a permanent battleground -- both federal and provincial parliament seats are constantly switching back and forth between the three major political parties -- while the other cities are safe Liberal or safe NDP.
>>
Doesn't kitchener have a university
>>
>>1061838
>small city
>300K
That's mid-sized by US standards. 100K and below is small.
>>
>>1061917
no.
>>
File: 7713557908_afa40acb22_o.jpg (832KB, 1024x740px) Image search: [Google]
7713557908_afa40acb22_o.jpg
832KB, 1024x740px
>>1061838
So what? In Europe much smaller towns got tram networks and subsidies for expansion.
>>
File: lausanne.jpg (2MB, 2288x1712px) Image search: [Google]
lausanne.jpg
2MB, 2288x1712px
>>1061957
This, in Europe there are smaller cities like Lausanne or Rennes that have a proper metro lines.
>>
I feel I should live there
>>
>>1061838
i feel that it's just the result of successful lobbying
>>
>>1061838
>>1061983
Every rail ever is about demand density and service concentration on a linear corridor. Full stop.
>>
maybe they had a better plan and consensus among the electorate for light rail.even big cities can make stupid decisions about mass transit (see San Francisco)
>>
>>1061838
At least they're not Brampton. They were cleared for a free LRT but nimbies said no. Now they're getting a chopped up bus station and hole in the ground.
>>
>>1061946
Yeah but Waterloo has two and Waterloo and Kitchener are pretty much the same thing. You're a fucking autist
>>
>>1061838
I live in Scarborough and I want you to Nuke the place
>>
>>1062187
>Yeah but Waterloo has two

So not Kitchener. I'm glad we agree.
>>
>>1062091
how will you densify your town if you make it rely on car for everything? the Tram must act as a magnet for dense buildings and de-sprawling
>>
>>1062830
Chicken or egg.
>>
Is this the same city that has the Trillium line?

Why won't Canada spend the money it needs to on transport?
>>
>>1062192
WLU and UW both have campuses (at least buildings) in Kitchener. I believe Conestoga College does as well. Not to mention the line between the cities might as well be arbitrary, and I bet a good amount of the students come from Kitchener since it has the larger population.

>>1062870
Trillium line is in Ottawa, this is Kitchener-Waterloo. I think it's supposed to also go to Cambridge eventually.
>>
>>1063043
Kitchener paid UW millions of dollars to build their pharmacy school building in Kitchener, creating artificial public transportation demand from pharmacy students commuting back and forth between the main campus in Waterloo and the pharmacy campus in Kitchener.

I am not sure the main express bus line would be as packed as it is had it not for Kitchener paying millions to fuck over students (who are wasting at least an hour every day riding the goddamn bus back and forth).
>>
>>1061926
300k is even smaller than a district l of some other cities around the world?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.