[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RIP in peace sweet prince

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: mikehall.jpg (92KB, 880x784px) Image search: [Google]
mikehall.jpg
92KB, 880x784px
RIP in peace sweet prince
>>
I'm a bit shitty they cancelled it. I'm pretty sure it anyone had asked him if he would want the race cancelled in the event that he comes to harm that he would slap their shit
>>
>>1059813
An article said he was only 35. I would have guessed much older. Looks pretty beaten up in many photos from the long miles and lack of sleep.
>>
but was he wearing a helmet?
>>
He will live on in the memories of his peers. The candle that burns the brightest runs out first.
>>
>bicycling in ausfailia

Asking for it.
>>
F
>>
File: pepegun.jpg (19KB, 403x392px) Image search: [Google]
pepegun.jpg
19KB, 403x392px
>>1059813
KILL ALL CAGERS!
>>
File: Mike Hall.jpg (53KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Mike Hall.jpg
53KB, 600x450px
this is incredibly sad, i'm not an emotional guy but this hit me pretty hard.

throughout the IPWR I've been reading comments about agressive drivers passing the racers too close. Is Australia such a shitty place to bike?

Keep riding bros, don't let this shit get to you
>>
>>1059875
Another reason to ban assault disk brakes
Thanks UCI!
>>
>>1059820
>a bit shitty they cancelled it
i think there had been other incidents as well, although this was the first death
they just didn't want any of the other riders to be hurt, which is reasonable

really, we need a focused media and political campaign to promote bike safety after this
minimum passing distance laws are in effect almost everywhere, they just aren't enforced
>>
>>1059875
>is australia such a shitty place to ride
yes, it makes texas look like heaven
>>
>>1059820

All the riders were burnt out. From the experienced race leaders who put themselves in the box for two weeks, to the first timers who were struggling like fuck at the halfway point, they were all in a difficult mental place already after loads of no sleep and extreme effort. Add to this the awful news of Mike Hall getting killed and it doesn't add up to a very safe headspace when you need full concentration day after day to avoid the same happening. I think they are worried it would lead to a lot more people DNFing or worse, more riders getting killed or injured. I am sad its over as well, but it's the right thing to do given the circumstances.

I got a genuine shock when I woke up and read this. I followed the Tour Divide and IWPR was even better with the constant social media updates. Hopefully it will come back stronger and safer next year.
>>
Also, can only imagine how shitty Jesse Carlson feels right now. First DNFing his own race after two days, then one of the world's best ultra endurance riders getting killed in an event he organised. Yikes.
>>
You don't really have to type "in peace" after RIP. That's what RIP stands for - rest in peace.
>>
>>1059910
>not being aware of the RIP in peace meme
>>
>>1059851
l m a o
>>
>>1059875
>Is Australia such a shitty place to bike?
I mostly ride in the city and it's not bad at all, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the sticks are full of bogan cunt cagers.
>>
File: 1489953247922.jpg (698KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1489953247922.jpg
698KB, 1600x1200px
>>1059875
>i'm not an emotional guy but this hit me pretty hard.

Holy shit you guys are a bunch of faggots.
This guy literally is famous for just pedaling . This is not an amazing poet.
Not a Nobel winning scientist.
You idiots dont even have a clue what is personality is like.
What the fuck is there for you to bond to here?
Jesus hero worship is fucking retarded, especially in sports.
>>
>>1059975
are you a sociopath or what cunt.

Its because he was relate-able as fuck, he was a nice guy who liked to ride their bike. He wasnt some fuck off road cyclist cyborg or dudebro mountain biker. He was a guy with a passion for adventure. I saw him a week before he was killed and if you cant understand why this has hit a lot of people who were following the IPWR hard, you are fucked in the head. Fuck off with your '2cool' superiority complex, you shit and piss like everyone else.
>>
>>1059975
why so mad
>>
>>1059975
im with ya pal. fucking weird being so attached to a youtube person
>>
>>1060107
Well, I'm a bit amazed at this "sport" but to each his own. I live in the middle of the US and occasionally find people pedaling across the country. I offer them a cool drink and have had some nice conversations. That seems like a relaxed way to see the country. But when you make it competitive, then you got folks pushing themselves and getting into situations where they're only one drunk redneck or bad pavement crack from death.
>>
>>1060107
>youtube person
Oh , I did not realize he was a youtuber. That is different. I thought he was just an athlete.
Apologies , if you followed this guy like that then that is almost like a friend and that I can understand. I wrongly assumed this was just some famous top cyclist.
>>
I don't understand the whole drama around this. He got killed by a cager. That's nothing new. Why cancel the whole race? That won't stop cars from killing cyclists. Cycling Maven made a video where in his gf starts crying. I cringed so hard. So now that he no longer participating in the IPWR he cannot be hit by cars? If he rides tomorrow he may just as well be killed.

Accidents happen daily. Why should I suddenly care about some unwashed hobo on a bike? And why should a race be cancelled because of it?
>>
>>1060107
>>1060118
Over here a month won't pass without reading some story about a cyclist being killed by a driver, just last week a bus hit a girl while riding on the shoulder, two months ago a car hit me because he ran a read light.
Even a top athlete in a competitive event can get killed by the carelessness of others, it's sad, it's frustrating.

Go on, keep thinking that this is just a case of someone idolizing an athlete but it's the fact that many of us can relate to the circumstances of his death
>>
>>1060160
You have a dangerous hobby.
Dont blame others for the fact that you are sharing infrastructure with large machinery. Thats your choice.
The world needs buses cars and lorrys way more than it needs autistic cyclists.
>>
>>1060208
>the world needs cars
cars are what's killing the world though
>>
>>1060208
having trucks for last-mile delivery of goods is one thing

giving retards free-reign to cage around while texting and a slap on the wrist when they murder someone is a whole other thing

we can have one without the other, despite what cagers seem to think

inb4 you're a cripple so you need one. no you aren't, you're just fat and lazy
>>
>>1059813
>hit by a car

of fucking course, god damn cagers, fuck them all
>>
I haven't road biked in many years. It's way too dangerous.
>>
>>1060274
yeah storming down mountain paths is way safer
>>
>>1060220
Well you can rage against the cagers till the cows come home, aint shit gonna change.
You know what that makes you?
Ineffectual.
A cuck.
A weak little cry baby who can do nothing but be upset and throw a tantrum.
The world will not bend to your silly ideals.
>>
>>1060277
It is, by a large margin. There's been very few deaths in mountain biking, the ones that I can remember in the last year are a crash in an CO Enduro race and a guy eaten by a bear in Glacier Park (pretty rare MTB hazard). There are no 5000lb metal boxes with texting drivers on singletrack.
>>
>>1060284
you're kidding about the bear, right?

Maybe there are fewer deaths but certainly you're more susceptible to sudden falls repeatedly and harming yourself.
>>
>>1060289
>you're kidding about the bear, right?
http://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/07/02/search-bear-killed-man-near-glacier-park-winds/
>A 38-year-old West Glacier man was riding his mountain bike at a high speed along a narrow forest trail when he collided with a bear, leading to a fatal attack earlier this week, according to a preliminary investigation by Montana wildlife officials.

>Maybe there are fewer deaths but certainly you're more susceptible to sudden falls repeatedly and harming yourself.
Sure, you might skin your knee or elbow and get the wind knocked out of you time to time, who cares? It's a risk that's understood when you ride mountain bikes. Those are things within your own control. Riding on the road you are putting your life into the hands of other people, many of which are not competent to operate a motor vehicle. Like the other anon I stopped riding road altogether after to many close calls.
>>
>>1060208
yes it's dangerous and a i realize that, i've broken bones while descending and i ain't complaining, I accept the consequences of my own actions. But it is entirely different when it's caused by the stupidity of others. In fact it's the opposite of what you are saying, drivers who can't take responsibility over the fact that they are operating large machinery and the safety of others i way more important than them losing a couple of seconds.

>>1060280
you are wrong, things are actually changing, at least in my city more people are riding bikes and the local government is starting to enforce laws to protect cyclist.

Things are far from ideal but it's getting better.
>>
>>1059910
being this new
>>
>>1060280
You just used the word "cuck" unironically, you already lost at life
>>
>>1060277
>storming down mountain paths is safer
unfortunately, it actually is
that's how amazingly fucked cars are
>>
>>1060375
>>1060317
I had no idea this was such a liberal board.
You guys know this is 4chan right ?
>>
>>1059911
Isn't it "pieces"?
>>
>>1060457
t. lost /b/tard
>>
>>1060461
Dont act like this board is better than /b/
We are all 4chan
If you are a normal person then you dont fucking belong here.
NOT ON ANY BOARD
>>
>>1060478
I like how you accidentally admitted that liberal = normal

you're slipping, /mlpol/
>>
>>1059911
>>1060357
>replying to obvious bait
>>
Sorry to hear this m8s. I don't really follow racing, but I did watch Inspired to Ride recently because I am planning to ride the transamerica bicycle trail (not racing though), and he seemed like a great guy. I loved how he said something along the lines of people always ask him if he would like to travel the routes slower so he could enjoy everything, and he said if someone enjoys racing, then they are enjoying themselves. RIP in peace.
>>
>>1059875
depends

in nicer cities (Sydney, Perth, Melbourne) it's not too bad. Once you get out of the city areas you get angry bogans that like to throw shit out of their windows at you and don't give you any room when passing.
a lot of cyclists are utter cunts here which doesn't do the rest of us any favours. Durianrider is a prime example. They make most drivers despise cyclists, which causes a lot of conflict.
there was already a lot of controversy over this race, I remember seeing a bunch of south australians whining about the racers being on regional roads on facebook maybe two days before he died. There were a few news articles on near misses and shit too.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.