[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /nee/ have a favorite gps?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: beeline.jpg (32KB, 880x587px) Image search: [Google]
beeline.jpg
32KB, 880x587px
Does /nee/ have a favorite gps?
>>
>>1058445
its call an iphone strap
>>
>>1058445
Ayyo, give us sauce on the one in the pic, boss.
>>
I use my Apple Watch
>>
>>1058471
It's called a Beeline; hooks up to you phone's GPS, but instead of picking roads to you destination, it only displays the distance and direction of the endpoint, so you aren't locked into a route. Seems like a good way to learn new paths.
>>
>>1058455
>using pleb tier phone gps
get a load of this casual

I use a garmin 510, it's ok. Apparently other brands have been stepping their game up in the last couple of years.
>>
>>1058445
I have a PowerTap Joule GPS, and they're replacing it under warranty with a Joule GPS+ (Lap button is breaking), but I have the GPS in it turned off 99% of the time because I don't need it. Works pretty good the 1% of the time I do want it though. :-)
>>
>>1058481
This better be bait.
>>
my trusty daily garmin 800
>>
>>1058481
>I use my Apple Watch
>And Apple maps.

Poster was never seen again.
>>
>>1058485
>>1058445
I really want this.
Is it out yet?
My dumb ass gets too cought up in details in unfamiliar places and forgets how I got there by just names.
This was made for how my brain works.
Also, gps sometimes gives me suicidal directions.
>>
>>1060282
>Also, gps sometimes gives me suicidal directions.

Most decent GPS have a direction/distance display mode. Beeline just presents a simplified display that is nothing but this, but at the expense of needing to use another input device to set destination coordinates.
>>
I quite like my Garmin Edge Touring, although sometimes it gives terrible directions with lots of traffic stops/intersections, when it should give a nicer path instead
>>
>>1060477
True enough but I learn better the other way instead of following directions.
>>
>>1060520
Like I said (maybe not clearly) most GPS have a direction (bearing) and distance mode. Instead of a calculated route.

If you need a phone to program your Beeline, odds are that your phone can give you a similar display.
>>
Garmin 820 w/custom app.
>>
>>1060553
A lot of people (myself included) have an issue with mounting their phone on their handlebars though.
>>
>>1058455
>>1058481

/g/ here
Appleā„¢
lol
>>
garmin fenix 3, the hr is a plus
>>
my beeline is on the post, i'll tell you how it goes when i get it.
>>
Why isn't there a really good GPS app for a phone?

I mean, you have a multi purpose computer and a GPS antenna. Why would you ever need an expensive garmin whatever?
>>
>>1063777
>Why isn't there a really good GPS app for a phone?
There is. It's called Google Maps.

Seriously, Google Maps is fucking amazing. Apple Maps is making headway but still has a few years to go before being considered even slightly 'good.'
>>
>>1064029
>Google Maps.
It still doesn't do everything a Garmin can do.
>>
File: garmin-edge-810-182648-1.jpg (57KB, 496x880px) Image search: [Google]
garmin-edge-810-182648-1.jpg
57KB, 496x880px
Garmin Edge 810. I love this thing. Wish I had enough moneys for the 1000. :')
>>
>>1064148

What are you wanting the phone to do?

If you're running Android, check out Geo Tracker if you're looking for a way to record your path and statistics. It's 100% free; there is a way to toss some cash at the developer in-app which is why it's marked "Digital Purchases".
>>
>>1064214

The rest of the typical Garmin functionality can be had with an app like "GPS Data - location status fix".

Browse through the app store for your device and there should be a selection of basic GPS functionality apps available.
>>
>>1058445
I just look up at the sky its p much always there
>>
>>1064214
>>1064222

Did a bit of digging and installing from Google Play. "Locus Map" seems to be the best handheld GPS replacement app. As a bonus, it includes a bike computer mode too.
>>
>>1064214
I used like really expensive GPS when I was in school and you could edit how frequently it would take a measurement, you could place waypoints, it was compatible with GIS mapping and some other stuff I can't remember.

My question is why would you have to spend several thousand dollars on a really nice work GPS when you have a phone? (except for perhaps durability sake)
>>
>>1064298

Pro gear allows the use of GPS base stations which provide centimeter level accuracy.

For consumer level gear, besides durability, you're looking at water resistance, easier to read displays in the sun, longer run times, and the use of AA (or other store available) batteries if you pick the right model.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.