[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/CCG/ Cycle Commuting General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 264
Thread images: 41

File: Outlier-New-OGs.jpg (109KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
Outlier-New-OGs.jpg
109KB, 660x440px
Who here cycle commutes?
Post your bike pics, details of your route.
Any tips or questions for other commuters?
>>
File: 20170321_122234.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170321_122234.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
My cycle commute starts on a busy road with 5 sets of traffic lights, then up a hill to a shared use path going uphill, then quarter a mile on a quiet road to gently cool off.
>>
>>1058225
>3.86 MB
pls
>>
>>1058221
I do
No
No
No
>>
>>1058229
What is wrong with my file size?
Just the camera I had then saved it lower res to meet the boards 4mb limit.
>>
File: 1490386696972.jpg (1MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
1490386696972.jpg
1MB, 4128x3096px
>>1058225
>>1058229
>>1058245
>>
>>1058221
I use my bike when I go to see my grandma, 3-4 times per week, it's a short trip, like 8-9km which I do in 25 minutes. I use a foldable bike, it's in a bad shape, the deraileur is fucked and I use it with only 1 speed, also the saddle is too low and it hurt my knees. It's pretty painful riding that bike, but it's ghetto and I know it won't be stolen.
>>
>>1058225
dam how fucking tall are you? is the the mini lock or regular?
>>
File: IMG_0618.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0618.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
/k/anasas here. use this in the winter/when its wet. love it. comfy, but not very fast but i dont care, i only have 3.4 miles each way to work.
>>
File: IMG_0805.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0805.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1058284
and then sometimes i ride this, when its nicer just for fun.
>>
File: IMG_0161.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0161.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I've been trundling around Seattle for 4 years now; currently on pic related that I finished building with a friend back around the new year.

I'm getting slower and slower with each passing month and now I'm not even bothered to get out of the saddle unless it's really worth it.

Feels like cycling is all about working your way toward giving zero fucks about cycling.
>>
>>1058301
Could it be due to the flat bars? I notice I am less likely to put in effort if I have flat bars. Not getting out of saddle might be from the front loading making it feel heavier for your arms making you get less out of it?
>>
>>1058272
Mini, I use that lock to leave my bikes at work when I commute and always lock up to the game type of rack there that it fits perfectly, feels safer.
I have a bigger lock for recreational riding where I can't guarantee rack size.
>>
>>1058270
Maybe you should look for a second hand bike with a better groups and longer seat post, then swap those parts onto your current bike. Might make it better feeling to ride but keep the theft-reduction due to low "Visible Value".
>>
>>1058284
>>1058286
I know some tough as nails riders into Trek. Nice choice of bikes for commuting. Do you ever chance from your full commuting rig to your racer and end up surprising yourself with how much faster it is?
>>
Recently got a new job. Only thing I miss is the 12km commute. New job is like five minutes ride away. No more #CAT6TOUGHGUY for me
>>
>>1058366
Why not make a route you do a lap of on your way?
Keep up your fitness while meaning if you sleep in one day you just don't do the lap and are still on time.
>>
>>1058367

Ah I'm not too bothered. I cycle a lot outwith work hours, and I guess its nice to get home at 5.05pm
>>
Today I tried a different route, half a mile on road, then 3.5 miles of shared use tarmac paths that all meet up, was so nice getting to ride without buses and trucks trying to kill me.
>>
>>1058221
My daily work/school commute is pretty short (about 7 miinutes, used to be around 20) but I don't drive and ride everywhere else in town. Usually ride through some traffic but usually ride the sidewalk on one road that's on the way to work since it is narrow with fast traffic. It does well in snow/ice conditions. Also just an observation, in medium sized cities like mine, cars go the fastest because there is more distance than a small town but less congestion than a big city. I usually enjoy riding on country roads though. I do ride off road quite a bit (including on some commutes when I take long off-road shortcuts to avoid traffic), so the mountain bike is probably best for me. I am interested in a road bike though. I have an old Schwinn 10 speed but the rear wheel is out of true and rubs the chainstays. Maybe eventually I could fix it or get it fixed but no big deal.
>>
>>1058346
all the time, brings a smile to my face every time i hope on the road bike after a few days on the commuter. like the first time i rode it. feels so good to get that free speed boost and so easily go fast.
>>
>>1058221

I cycle commute, in the summer i use a Rose Pro SL-2000 race bike or a Scott Scale 735 mtb depending on if i want to ride on the road or in the terrain.

Road commutes is anything from 6km (4 mi) to 20km (12 mi) and terrain commutes is around 8km (5 mi) mostly in hard terrain.

In the winter i only use the scale 735 with studded winter tyres (suomi tyres wxc'r 312). Riding through snow, ice and wind is very tiresome and if its really cold and windy you get even more tired so i ride the shortest path possible which is 5.4 km (3.4 mi).
>>
>>1058402
wow my commute is going to be way longer than yours
>>
>>1058366
Same here. My previous job involved a really fun 15 mile morning/evening ride with lots of variation and route choices, but my current work is 2.5 miles away and while it's nice being able to get to work really quickly, it's a repetitive commute and the local geography dictates there's only one logical path to take.

I've posted it before, but here's my current winter bike, I've not had to use it much this year because we didn't get much snow or ice.
>>
File: 2.jpg (381KB, 1836x2252px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
381KB, 1836x2252px
>>1058408
pic
>>
>>1058408
> My previous job involved a really fun 15 mile morning/evening ride

Not the person you're responding to but this is HIGHLY relevant to my interests.

I am going to be embarking on a 25 mile + commute (one way) maybe 3 times a week.

When you were riding that much were you in fantastic shape or did you eat so much because how hungry you got that the long rides of fat burning were reversed by hefty meals?

This is what I want to know.
>>
>>1058410
Like the previous anon, my commuting trips represent a minority of my overall mileage and I've been riding pretty near every single day for the past decade, so my personal answers aren't relevant to your situation...

But if your goal is lose weight, then doing longer rides more frequently can only help. Pay attention to your body and remember that the feeling of hunger is a lagging indicator - you get hungry after your body starts asking for nutrition, and you don't stop feeling hungry until your food has had 20-30 minutes to digest.
>>
>>1058409
do brooks saddle fit on most treks?
>>
>>1058429
>do [general category][unspecific verb] on most [general category]?
Yes, probably.
>>
File: IMG_0480.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0480.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Pretty comfy most of the year

Summer is the worst though, joggers and walkers and kids everywhere
>>
No pics of my cheap hybrid. Or of my mostly suburban 6 mile (10km) commute. Riding by the river is nice, especially as the speed bumps mean traffic tends to avoid that road.
>>
>>1058221
I own a nice randonneur with 105 groupset, but I commute on my single speed converted '94 Peugeot.

>lower maintenance and running cost
>lower chance of theft
>just as fast on my commute through traffic over flat terrain
>actually more fun to ride
>lighter
>>
File: 1490399015971.jpg (462KB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
1490399015971.jpg
462KB, 4128x3096px
>>1058253
>>
>>1058436
noice
>>
>>1058409
Where did you get those bar mitts? I think they could be useful for me on windy days.
>>
>>1058409
what a horrific sight
>>
File: 2011defy2.jpg (197KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
2011defy2.jpg
197KB, 1328x747px
Here's my Giant Defy I got back in 2011 to get me into road cycling converted to a beater/commuter shitter. Added SKS Longboard fenders and Topeak MTX rack, had the LBS change rear D to a long cage Deore for that 34t mountain climbing goodness (which was pretty badly adjusted when I got it back from the LBS, pretty pissed I had to fix their shit).
>>
>>1058391
>I have an old Schwinn 10 speed but the rear wheel is out of true and rubs the chainstays.

I'm about to get two more old ten speeds since my grandpa passed away and no one else wants them. A Schwinn Le Tour and Schwinn Traveler. I think the Traveler is the better bike, it is chromoly steel with downtube shifters. Looks like this one >>1060285

The one with the crooked wheel is a World Sport.
>>
>>1060677
Does the World Sport have the stylized mid-'80s Schwinn logo or the sports-uniform logo from the '70s
>>
File: oase.jpg (962KB, 1386x908px) Image search: [Google]
oase.jpg
962KB, 1386x908px
12.5 km flat. 1 km on a shared busy road then about 2km through suburbs with little traffic, along a small creek, crossing one road and then on a gravel path to my school.
Only one traffic light on the way.
Commute on ~200 days a year (teacher - that's all of my days I have to go to school) in any weather.
Tip: For wet conditions: get an IGS/gearbox. I love my gearbox + full chaincase. Chain has topped 11k kms just recently. I do close to zero maintenance.
>>
File: abc.jpg (3MB, 3004x1856px) Image search: [Google]
abc.jpg
3MB, 3004x1856px
>tfw used to be the only one on the bike lanes
>now we're becoming amsterdam 0.1 and I actually get stuck in bike traffic

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1058221
Does <5 km distance still count as a commute?
I live within 5 km radius of pretty much every place i might conceivably want to go in my town.
>>
>>1060701
>coworker lives 3km away from work
>says she won't use a bike because "it's bothersome to get it out of the cellar"
>drives those 3km every day
>literally pays for parking at work

fucking cagers

oh and yeah, it's still a commute
>>
>>1060704
>3km from work
>bothersome to get it out of the cellar
at that point i'd just fucking walk desu
it would probably be faster and easier than having to deal with a car and parking
>>
>>1060680
>stylized mid-'80s Schwinn logo
That one, it's a chromoly steel bike I think
>>
>>1060708
Not if you're a fat ass American
>>
File: commute.jpg (379KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
commute.jpg
379KB, 1000x750px
I commute in West-Flanders, Belgium. The commute is 27km one way. The first 5km is a bit boring with a couple stoplights, but after that I have about 15km of almost uninterrupted riding with no traffic (with 12km next to a sweet canal). There are a few cobblestone sections on said 15km. Then there is about 4km of a bike path but next to an industrial section with lots of trucks, before I roll into town and have to navigate the final 3km,

I commute mon-fri 9 months a year (from march to december) on my Felt F75. It's my second year commuting
>>
>>1060736
god that sounds like heaven compared to dallas
>>
>>1060736
>used to get to school on a bike as a kid
>kinda hated it because I had to do it
>didn't have a proper bike for it most of the time
>get a car
>forget about cycling for 5 years and drive everywhere
>get a job 12 km from where I live
>great bike connection between work and home
>all of the way is bike paths or suburban feeder roads with practically no traffic
>grade separated crossings
>buy a bike to exclusively commute on nice summer days
>tell myself that I won't ride in winter because of awful memories
>first summer goes riding in mostly nice days
>switch to car for the winter
>start biking much earlier in the spring of second summer
>commute the entire summer regardless of weather
>buy a new bike in fall to commute in winter
>buy winter clothes and gear to commute in winter
>commute through the winter in Arctic even though I promised myself as a kid to never ride a bike in winter and told that to myself as I bought my first bike as an adult
>actually enjoy the commutes even though the roads aren't always cleared of snow
>actually thinking about buying a fatbike to go riding for fun come next winter
>somehow got the idea that it would be cool to ride a bike to north/south pole
I don't know what's wrong with me.
>>
>>1060743
>I don't know what's wrong with me.
you're one of us now
enjoy the addiction
>>
File: IMG_1399.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1399.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
This is my commuter. My commute is 6 miles one way along the ocean and is pretty comfy even with a few big hills. The wind can be a hassle but it's better than going right through town.
>>
>used to ride 90's rigid, offroad on my commute home
>graduated university
>don't go that way anymore
Now it's just regular pathways into the downtown core, no thrill
>>
How do you avoid sweating when I need to wear business casual at work?

I have a very short commute (1km) and now have indoor parking with a locker room and showers so I may start using them when the temp gets higher.
>>
>>1060810
>How do you avoid sweating
You don't, you embrace it and have fresh clothes at work. Though you must be really out of shape to get sweaty over a single kilometer.
>>
File: IMG_0673.jpg (752KB, 2398x1599px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0673.jpg
752KB, 2398x1599px
I've got a really short commute. The most direct route is roughly 2.5km one way, of which I'll ride any of my bikes I've got. Depending on mood, weather, and any number of other things I can extend it as far as I want with minimal traffic interaction, which is nice to say the least. Go-to commute this summer is likely to be a nice 6.5km route along a freshly paved MUP.

Current ride has been this beast. SSCX with fat 45c tires, 42/17 fixed, fenders, risers and a basket. It's pretty fun. Usually have some knobbies on with a much lower SS ratio for winter.
>>
>>1060810
I was thinking of more when I commuted 4+ km. But even in the 35C days when I'd bike the 2km to the train station I would be uncomfortable and nervous that I smelled for the rest of the day.
>>
>>1060819
>fixie
nigger
>>
>>1060831
y'all bitches don't know bout my phat skids
>>
>>1060736
Did a bike/barge in Belgium/Holland. Comfy. Only thing I found odd is that motorized scooters were allowed in the bike lanes.
>>
File: Message_1489614217063.jpg (1MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
Message_1489614217063.jpg
1MB, 2656x1494px
This is my bike, I'm the same anon from the pybt a while ago. That saddle has grown on me. The next step is getting a shorter stem and some road slicks. Can anyone vouch for Compass Tires?
>>
>>1060810
You don't if you have showers and a locker room at work. Take fresh clothes to work and shower there. You don't have to shower at home and you'll always be fresh when you start working.
>>
>>1060810

Preparing/riding:
- Pannier/ rack bag/ handlebar bag to keep weight off back
- Lower gears and speed , simply keep it low enough effort to match walking
- If it is cold in the wind but warm elsewhere, dress for the warm sections and use wind blocking clothes instead of ending up hotter.
- Wear removable layers, such as wear a jersey on bottom, then have a jersey that you can zip all the way down as the temperature changes.

Luggage/Arrival: (Assuming no work shower)
- Spare clothes
- Small towel
- Baby wipes
- Deodorant

Bonus tip:
- Unzip outer layer as you slow down on arrival and take off top layer when you stop as you will still be hot but without riding into the air like wind. If possible, let yourself cool downed stop sweating before you get changed you don't sweat in your fresh clothes.
>>
>>1060837
Also these brakes do fucking suck. I want to get some TRP Spyres and some Hope floating rotors. They REEEEEEEEEEEEE at the slightest hint of moisture.
>>
>>1060814
Not him, but I'll start sweating after a minute or two of exercise during summer and I'm a fairly fit guy
Some people are just predisposed to it
>>
>>1060854
This. Some people just sweat more easily than others. If I ride faster than brisk jog I'll be sweating. I also profusely sweat when going to the gym needing a towel sometimes between warm up sets.
>>
>>1060810
For a short commute like yours, ride slowly. Like, get on the sidewalk and ride hobo slow if you have to. The air moving over your body should keep you cooler than walking with similar or less effort. Later on, as your body acclimates to that routine, you'll be able to pick up the pace a bit without breaking a sweat. If possible, set up your bike for a more relaxed riding position.

Good advice from >>1060846 too. Fit whatever you need to carry cargo on the bike; wearing a backpack while riding will cause sweating. Opt to be cold rather than hot if the weather is variable. If one direction of your commute is colder than the other, equip your bike to carry your jacket for the warmer leg.

Also, adjust your routine- shower in the evenings and keep a clean bed so you're still fresh in the morning. Giving your skin time to dry overnight will make you less prone to sweating in the morning.
>>
>>1058225
I tried reducing that to 256 colours and save it as gif or png, but it just became bigger. 6-8MB. It looked much nicer than I expected tho.
>>
File: 1337597816631.png (31KB, 268x270px) Image search: [Google]
1337597816631.png
31KB, 268x270px
>>1060893
>saving it as .png
>>
>>1061199
gif and png were the two formats i could think of right away that supports 256 colours. jpg does not afaik.
>>
>>1061206
Always jpg for photographs, anon. That much should be obvious.
>>
>>
>>1061224
Not when you want to reduce the colour depth to 256 colours. Was surprised by how well it looked.
>>
>>1061229
Why would you do that? Just use a filter if you're going for an effect. PNG for photos is retarded.

Also,
>well
"good".
>>
>>1061235
Was curious to see if the file size was smaller if I reduced the colour depth to 256 colours. Saved in a format that supports 256 colours. It wasn't.
>>
I cycle commute sometimes, but I have to wake up at around 6:15 if I do it, or 7:15 if I drive. It's so much easier to sleep in and drive.
>>
>>1061363
>It's so much easier to sleep in and drive.
coward
>>
>>1061363
For me it is the opposite. public transportation takes about 45 minutes. Riding my bike takes about 20 minutes. Driving myself is quicker, but not by much, and I would have to deal with rush hour on my way home.
>>
>>1060704
The hell? I used to walk three km to school in the winters, before i had studded tires.
>>
>>1061372
ok I got up early and commuted on friday. hope you are happy
>>
>>1060820
>>1060846
>>1060886
> Being this man shamed
You fags are hilarious. Caring what white collar cagers think of your cyclist must. Trying so hard to stay "fresh" smelling. You sound like a yeast infection commercial.
>>
>>1061914
>got up early and commuted on friday
good work
>>
>>1060837
>Can anyone vouch for Compass Tires?

Have used a pair for a while. Was expecting them to be more fragile than they actually were so that was a pleasant surprise.

+extremely light for the sizes
+fast
+comfy
+look cool

-extremely expensive compared to just about everything
-paper-ish

The downfall for me was thorns, three-corner jacks shred through these tyres and there are a LOT this year. That said my voyager hypers haven't done much better. I think you simply need a tyre with a thick shell like marathon(plus) to stop the bitches from physically reaching the tube.
>>
>>1061920
I work at a transit planning firm where no one drives to work. Try again.
>>
>>1058229
>>1058245

I clicked on that and soon remembered my internet is down and i'm on phone internet. I won't even waste 500k on titties, much less 4 MB on a bike.
>>
wow i just put a 28mm rear tire on instead of 25mm on my OTS and its sooo much more comfortable.
>>
What is the best rain jacket would you recommend for commuting?
I was looking at the Shower's pass elite 2.1, but I'm still hesitating, as it's pushing my budget a little bit.
>>
>>1062342
None, you'll sweat a lot. Just put you jersey.
>>
>>1062155
Tried Gatorskins? Mine literally have worn down to the kevlar strip and I'll probably continue to ride them for another month. Rarely get flats.
>>
>>1062342
How much do you sweat? This is the most important factor.
>>
>>1062471
If I ever do get frustrated enough for meme tyres I'll be looking at some kind of Marathon.
>>
>>1062471
Memeskins are probably the worst tires I've ever used. They're a bitch to mount like any contis, the puncture protection is a fucking joke as my gp4ks2's get less punctures, the ride is uncomfortable, and they have absolutely no grip because the compound is so hard.
>>
>>1061920
>Being this NEET
Your mom might not judge you for smelling like a locker room toilet, but if you had co-workers you'd understand that they will.

Part of holding down a job entails getting along with the people there... and that means in a "normal human being" kind of way, not a surly "Leave me alone and we won't end up on the evening news" way.
>>
File: IMG_5855.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5855.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Live in Belgium, commute is under 10km and completely flat so I figured I only ever need one gear.

Considering switching to SS though to improve cornering.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with my meme bike.
>>
>>1062553
Is that a fixie with no foot retention?
Are you suicidal?
>>
>>1062556
It has toe clips, just didn't have them yet when I took this pic
>>
>>1062559
So you are retarded. Good.
>>
>>1062483
I use Schwalbe Marathons, not the grippiest or fastest rolling, but is good as a tank for avoiding punctures.
>>
>>1062561
no u
>>
>>1062553
Whereabouts in Belgium?
>>
>>1062587
Antwerp
>>
>>1062490
You clearly haven't used them enough.
How can a tire with a kevlar strip get more punctures than one without a kevlar strip from the same manufacturer?

>bitch to mount
I'll give you that

>ride is uncomfortable
Quit your whining

>absolutely no grip
Are you trying to take corners at speed in the pouring rain? This is a cycle commuter thread.

I commute four seasons on Gatorskins, no complaints whatsoever.
>>
File: 1 Whole Foods.jpg (797KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1 Whole Foods.jpg
797KB, 1920x1080px
Commuting to Whole Foods to buy tofu
>>
>>1062928
>Are you trying to take corners at speed in the pouring rain? This is a cycle commuter thread.
>not going fast while commuting
>not having FUN while commuting
mate...
And on the tire subject,
PASELA
A
S
E
L
A
>>
File: 20170409_201429.jpg (435KB, 1205x699px) Image search: [Google]
20170409_201429.jpg
435KB, 1205x699px
>>1060677
>>1060680
Here is the bike. I have been using it as a commuter for the past few days. This is the first time I have used a road bike as a regular commuter, and I am enjoying it for the most part.

>>1062483
>>1062562
Once my gumwalls wear out I might consider Marathons since they make them in 27" (630mm), which there's not a whole lot of premium tires available in.
>>
>>1063011
Taking corners at speed in the rain isn't fun, it's retarded. Paselas are nice tho.
>>
>>1063171
>being too CASUAL to corner at speed in rain
Fucking downtuber
>>
>>1063191
This is a cycle commuter thread. Cat6ing your commute is for freds.
I recommend you check your local organ registry to see how long the wait list is.
>>
File: IMAG0634.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0634.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>1062928
I don't know why they get more punctures. I've had a gp4k and memeskin combo multiple times on my bike, in both combinations and the memeskin is always the one to puncture instead of the gp4k.

>quit whining
I like to be comfy while riding a bike

>this is a cycle commuter thread
I like to have tires I can trust whenever I'm riding in case something happens. Why would I use tires with shitty slippery compound when other manufacturers offer better compounds in the same type of tire.

>I commute four seasons on Gatorskins
Wow, must be nice when your seasons are summer, late summer, slightly colder and more rainy summer, and early summer. Pic related is from my commute yesterday. This is what having four seasons looks like.
>>
>>1063200
>This is a cycle commuter thread.
Your point?
>Cat6ing your commute is for freds.
Going fast and having fun is not synonymous with cat6ing. Going fast is fun even when there is no one around to cat6. Faggotfuck.
>I recommend you check your local organ registry to see how long the wait list is.
I wear a helmet (and ride with lights) so it's a non-issue.
>>
>>1063206
>Your point?
That you're retarded. Yours?
>I wear a helmet therefore I can't slide out or be hurt by cars
huehuehuehue
>>
File: 20170411_130938~2.jpg (2MB, 3280x2026px) Image search: [Google]
20170411_130938~2.jpg
2MB, 3280x2026px
I commute in Phoenix Arizona, USA. Mine is mostly flat, on a roadway that's along the highway. Total the distance is 8.7 miles (14km). It's interesting because the highway exits every so often so the traffic is always moving super fast behind me, but keeping to the right and staying predictable works. This time of year the cycling is excellent, but it will get hot hot hot.

I ride a 1994 specialized hardrock green blue it's a great bike, I hope it fairs well. I came off a fixie and this is a nice change.
>>
>>1063205
I vehemently assert that you're imagining the disparity or just have bad luck. The whole point of Gatorskins is to be puncture resistant.

I also commute in the snow, and I've flatted once in 2 years using them.

>Why would I use tires with shitty slippery compound when other manufacturers offer better compounds in the same type of tire.
Because puncture resistance, and they're lighter than touring tires.
>>
>>1063213
I know they're supposed to be puncture resistant. My own experience with them is that they're absolute fucking shit at doing the one job they're supposed to do.

You do know that other manufacturers offer direct competitors to the memeskins? They aren't the only tire in their category.
>>
>>1063208
>That you're retarded. Yours?
That you're a filthy casual
>>
>>1063215
Drop some names, bruh.
Nothing with a significant tread pls.
>>
>>1058286
Is that a Crossrip?
>>
>>1063228
It literally says crossrip on the toptube you blind fucking downtube
>>
>>1063230
Can't see it that well.
>>
>>1063213
>recommends checking local organ registry for organ wait times to anyone who rides fast
>rides gatorskins in the snow himself
Either your "winter" consists of 2 days of snow or you should be the one checking wait times for new organs.

>>1063218
Literally every large bike tire manufacturer has a similar offering.
>>
>>1063279
Where exactly would you hang it on?
>>
>>1063283
There's plenty of panniers that double as backpacks
>>
>>1063285
Huh. Thanks, I'm stupid. Deleting my stupidity in 3...2...1...
>>
>>1063217
Name one you like, then
>>
>>1063291
One what? Tire? Pasela.
>>1063285
>>1063286
http://banjobrothers.com/products/current/panniers/convertible-waterproof-pannier-backpack/
>>
>>1063009
>Commuting to Whole Foods to buy tofu
how very vegan of you
>>
>>1063211
>1994 specialized hardrock
one of the best of the 90s rigids, nice
>>
>>1063443
I am indeed vegan, but I liked tofu before becoming vegetarian/vegan so it's not really related. And I shop at Whole Foods not so much because I'm vegan (vegan food is readily available at all grocery stores) but because I prefer organic foods.
>>
>>1062472
yeah, does it harm the breathiness of the jacket?
>>
I ride to work, but it only takes me 5 minutes to get there. I still have to deal with shithead cagers during tourist season though. I wish there were bike lanes here.
>ride next to the curb to let cager pass
>keeps following me slowly
>come to a parked car so I have to get in the lane
>now the retard cager thinks it's a good time to try to pass me and gets buttmad I'm in the lane
>>
>finally start bike commuting season after long months of being squeezed like a sardine in the bus
>two weeks of winds and rains with an extra part of snow
Where the fuck is global warming?

>>1062342
I'm using a light "wind-breaker" jacket for when it's cold enough. It's rain-proof enough for a short, low-intensity rain on my commute. Anything other and I'd get more wet on the inside than on the outside.
>>
>>1063781
That's not how global warming works
>>
>>1063781
In most temperate regions, global warming will just lead to more rain.
>>
>>1063781
>not commuting through the winter
>>
>>1062342
O2 Rainwear makes nice high-vis jackets. They're also the only company I've found that makes a hooded rain jacket in high-vis yellow-green.
http://o2rainwear.com/2015/07/primary-jacket-hi-viz-yellow/
If you don't care about high-vis, Marmot makes nice Gore Tex jackets.
>>
File: 20170402_164217.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170402_164217.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1063462
yes I am loving it
>>
>>1063228
Yes its a crossrip 3
>>
>>1063783
>>1063785
W-what?
>>
>>1064034
Global warming means the AVERAGE temperature of the earth rises. Not the local temperature in each and every region. Arctic regions warm up much faster than average, others not so much, some even cool down. And the temp changes cause complex effects that lead to more rain for some regions and less for others.
Europe is one region that's projected to cool down and get more rain even though global average temperatures rise.

This is especially tragic since most politicians who could be a leading force in combatting global warming live in countries that are less affected by it.
>>
>>1064039
If I ever find that shithead who promised me sandy beaches and palm trees, fuck.
>most politicians who could be
Sorry, but I don't think any of them really give a damn about such an abstract idea.
>>
>>1064046
They will when their beachside villas are underwater.
>>
>>1058405
Nobody fucking cares you faggot.
>>
File: dolphin_whip_it.jpg (2MB, 2800x1575px) Image search: [Google]
dolphin_whip_it.jpg
2MB, 2800x1575px
I mount a sexy red ortlieb bag on this bad boy and I'm ready to go for my 40 mile round trip commute. Most of the ride is on a bike path that follows the beach so its pretty great. :')
>>
>>1058221
14 miles daily commute to work and back (without errands), 94 ft elevation, 40 minutes each trip, 21 speed vilano tuono bicycle from roadbikeoutlet.com
>>
>>1064135
>Most of the ride is on a bike path that follows the beach so its pretty great. :')
How often is your commute windy as fuck?
>>1058405
No one gives a fuck.
>>1058429
Who cares? They're shit saddles.
>>
>>1064261
>Who cares? They're shit saddles.
Nice bait nigger.
>>
>>1064283
He's right though. Brooks are terrible.
>>
>>1063778
why do they do this? I've taken to waving them forward to get them the fuck off my ass. sometimes they take the hint.
>>
File: traitor crusade.jpg (218KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
traitor crusade.jpg
218KB, 1500x1500px
>>1058221
i have a potato camera, so here's a stock photo.

the route is 15 miles round trip of 'house-rail trail-work-rail trail-house', literally a straight shot with no actual city or country road riding unless i want to detour. it's also about 7-10 miles one-way to the mtb trails in either direction.
>>
>>1064261

It's always windy (7-14 mph).
>>
>>1064355
Same, and it gets 15+ very often
>>
File: 20170413_154455.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170413_154455.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
I recently discovered this mo/n/olith by a car dealership on a ride to pick up some slacks. Just a giant obelisk constructed of nothing but bicycle parts. May start making regular pilgrimages to it with my cycling related prayers.
>>
>>1063778
>At intersection
>Car has right of way so I stop
>She stops and waives at me to go
>I insist for her to go first cause I don't want to act unpredictable to other traffic
>She smiles and insists for me to go first
>Look literally everywhere
>No other cars
>Go first
>She turns into the same street as me and passes me with less than 10 inches distance
>>
>>1064373
post close-up pics
>>
>>1064374
>>1063778

these people need to be rounded up and shot
>>
Got meme'd again by thorns today so dropped by the bikeshop on the way home and ordered in some marathon GTs. New model this year, they're heavy but an unknown quantity so I'll be interested to see how they turn out. The fact that the allmotion tested as very fast despite being heavy is promising.
>>
>>1058221
What do you guys know about Papillionaire?

I need a new bike and am in college so $449 is a lot of dough for me but my $250 Schwinn from freshman year has tried to end my life 1 time too many.
>>
>>1058376
I know we aren't supposed to bike on sidewalks but even in my college town I feel like I am going to be fucking killed everytime I ride on a road.
>>
>>1065544
Where I live it's totally legal.
Not that I'd properly ride on there, but it's nice for shortcuts and such.
>>1065543
If you want a basic city bike it's probably ok, but it looks like hipster shit. Would stay away from the Remi at least though.
What's failing on the schwinn?
>>
>>1065546
4 of the 7 gears won't work and I tried to fix it since I used to be able to fix most shit like that when I was a kid but the new schwinns are just absolute shit in terms of quality

The handlebars will slip and displace constantly no matter how tight I make the bolt that holds them in place, you could see where close to 25 mph this could almost kill you.

It rusted terribly since I have owned it through college and it has been stored outside

I just don't think it is fixable.

I was going to go for the classic Papillionaire.
I've always thought they looked cool and I only need a three speed since I am usually on campus and there are minimal hills.
>>
Do a roughly 5km each way commute in north west london. Was hard to begin with because a couple of hills but afterva couple of weeks was nothing. Would come back a different way , going past a resevoir which is nice in the summer.

Worst part is the cars in the morning. So many people driving kids to school. Roads are so much quieter when they're on holiday.
>>
>>1064373
Cute. Where is this?
>>
>>1065543
>OTS
>90s rigid w/ slicks
Pick one
>>
>>1065771
Why?

I want a new bike not something used and old.
>>
>>1065860
Because you're a poorfag college student and don't have new bike money. A good used bike will be both much more reliable and fun to ride than a shitty new bike.

You can get a killer bike for $250, not to even speak of $450, as long as you can accept riding a used bike. If you buy a similarly priced new bike it will heavy as fuck shit that will break down on you in few months. And on used bikes the best choices are either OTS or 90s rigid with slicks.
>>
>>1065863
I am going to be making 1k a week in t minus 3 weeks I'm not too worried. As it stands I make 600 a month and have 0 expenses.

Do you even know anything about the brand I posted???
>>
>>1065867
In your original post you told you were a poorfag college student for whom $450 is a lot of money. I gave you advice based on the information available.

Don't have any information on the brand you posted. Though I'd argue that any $450 bike is going to be shit.
>>
>>1065879
My bad,

Well my current bike was $250 at Target and after 3 years of being parked outside it is straight ass.
>>
>>1063816
thanks!
>>
File: 1485899443366.jpg (147KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1485899443366.jpg
147KB, 750x750px
>tfw living to close to work to warrant cycle commuting
Would be neat to get some workout every day.
>>
>tfw first time riding a bike without studs in 5 months
Summer is here, get hype.
>>
File: close.jpg (164KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
close.jpg
164KB, 600x450px
>>1064572
>>1065703

Santa rosa CA.
>>
>>1066973
Man you are living the dream, now you only have leisure rides.
>>
File: kube.jpg (536KB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
kube.jpg
536KB, 2816x2112px
>>1066987
The /n/ version of /k/s murder cube
>>
I do, but it kinda doesnt count cause I'm a mechanic at the closest bike shop to me and it's maybe a mile ride half of which is flat.
>>
>>1064346
>SS
>derailleur hanger
Nigga what
>>
>>1067037
He could replace the dropout with a hangerless one in theory. The stock one obviously allows you to convert from SS to geared.
>>
Any tips for commuting under the rain? I'm already using full fenders and a waterproof cape, but I'm not sure what to do about my legs and feet
>>
>>1067050
Do you have a mudflap on the front? Closer you get it to the group the more spray you block.
>>
>>1058225
UK?
>>
>>1067594
Aberdeen. You?
>>
>>1067605
Ah yes, the grey city. I take the ferry from there to see my senpai. Living in Leicester at the moment, want to move to Derbyshire for those sweet country roads.
>>
>>1067613
Trying to build some base miles/range so rode to Inverurie after work today, those hills are a bitch!
>>
>>1061914
what the fuck you want, a cookie.
get up every day you pansy
>>
>>1063200
what is cat6, what is fred?
>>
My car broke down, commuting to college on my bike for the first time. I hope nobody makes fun of me.
>>
>>1058301
looking for a ride like this. how much does it weigh?
>>
>>1067044
>>1067037
It's for a chain tensioner. It looks like the rear axle spacing is for a single speed but the dropouts don't allow for movement to tension the chain. I can't imagine this working without a chain tensioner.
>>
>>1067755
If they do, then laugh back on your way home passing all of them stuck in traffic queues.
>>
>>1063211
Also a Phoenix commuter (well, Tempe)... not looking forward to those summer temps.
>>
>>1067723
pls respond
>>
File: fuji-cross-1.5-194559-1.jpg (124KB, 1000x613px) Image search: [Google]
fuji-cross-1.5-194559-1.jpg
124KB, 1000x613px
>>1058221
Don't have a really good picture of my bike right now but here is a stock photo.

Things I've done:

-I've taken off the stickers on the rims and slapped on some 'road' tires for less rolling resistance on pathways and on the street.

-Cages for wattle bottles (duh)

-Stem Captain Analog Clock

-Lights

That's really about it.

I live in downtown Cincinnati and commute up to the suburbs for work. Unfortunately my city isn't very bike friendly in most areas so I drive halfway to the suburbs (going to look into taking the bus this weekend on a trial run) and bike approximately 10 miles on quite suburban streets and a nice hilly bike trail.
>>
>>1060699
where you at?
>>
>>1067849
I'm also in Tempe and just started cycling. Been looking to commute to class on my bike from now on. How is it usually?
>>
>>1068460
Ljubljana

Well, I guess the upside is we've gone from "fear the murder cages on every street" in my teen years to 13th most bike friendly city, so there's that...
>>
>>1067962
I had one of those Fuji Cross bikes

it was probably the best bike I ever had
>>
>>1058229
Fag.
>>
>>1058225
Explain to me, at once, how that bag is mounted. Is it on an exotic rack of some kind?

Brand names and a second picture, for the love of god!
>>
>>1063205
Get a set of split fenders already you double nigger and stop riding with meme ziptie pieces of shit.

t. Man Who Actually Has A Brain
>>
what kind of straps do you guys recommend carrying a laundry bag on a rear rack?
>>
>>1070834
straps woven out of cotton candy
>>
>>1070834
just wrap a bunch of dental floss around it
>>
>>1058225
fpbp
>>
>>1070840
>>1070841

i didn't know if there was a standard approach to hauling shit
>>
>>1070844
ignore the foamers, anon

By far the most versatile(and cheapest) way to carry shit on a rack is a milk crate. zip-tie that bad boy to the rack. If you're tall enough, try wedging it under your saddle rails and zip-tieing in there too, makes the whole set-up stronger.
>>
File: IMG_20170425_010715.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170425_010715.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>1070845
>pic related
>>
File: IMG_20170503_202032.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170503_202032.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>1070849
>>
>>1070826
>implying there is enough clearance between the frame and tire to have a full rear fender with winter tires
>implying I even have the fenders on when it's not wet
>>
>>1067958
"a Fred is more often somebody with higher quality and more expensive cycling equipment than his or her talent and commitment would warrant. For example, a stereotypical Fred by this definition would be an individual with little cycling experience who watches the highlights of a few Tour de France stages, then goes to a bike store and purchases a Trek carbon fiber Madone in Team Discovery colors, along with Team Discovery shorts and jersey."
https://biskey7.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/bicycling-are-you-a-fred/

Explains pretty well what a Fred is

And Cat6ing is the act of not wanting to be passed by another cyclist, so trying to keep your speed even though he may be better than you
>>
>>1070849
Isn't it almost winter down in Australia?
>>
File: 0BcHiJx[1].png (118KB, 640x834px) Image search: [Google]
0BcHiJx[1].png
118KB, 640x834px
This is my daily commute home from the subway station. 4.5 miles each way

So obviously my ride there is pretty much a coast downhill for 3 of these miles.

The ride there takes about 15 minutes, the ride home takes half an hour.
>>
>>1071081

Yeah, it's bloody cold.
Where I am we don't get any snow usually, just insane frost. You can slide out and eat shit prettymuch everywhere before mid-day
>>
>>1058221
What kind of retard gets carpal tunnel like that?
>>
>>1067613
>Living in Leicester at the moment
me 2, where senpai?
>>
My workplace is very old fashioned and the wearing of a perfectly pressed shirt and pair of trousers is absolutely non-negotiable. I want to start cycling the 5 miles to work because driving that short a distance is ridiculous but have no idea how to keep them perfect on my folder. There is a changing room but no ironing facilities.
>>
>>1058284
What part of Kansas? I swear to god I saw this bike resting up against a building where I was at today.
>>
>live in city with awful traffic, shitty roads and no bike lanes
>11km commute

can i make it bros?
>>
>>1071745
where at?
>>
File: IMAG0752.jpg (4MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0752.jpg
4MB, 4000x3000px
>11th of fucking May
>It's snowing
>rode back home from work yesterday in snow
>looks like I'll be doing it again today
SUMMER FUCKING WHEN?!?!?!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1071745
PLEASE don't
>>
>>1071818
Lucky fuck, that is perfectly navigable snow and it's just enough to keep the plebs inside

Where I am all the fucktards are clogging up the path
>>
Thinking of getting a singlespeed for commuting, quite like the idea of a tricross. Can't find many of the ss versions about though.
>>
>>1071849
easy solution for you friend

don't get a shitty fixie
>>
>>1071839
Do you really think that in a place where it still snows well into May people are afraid of snow? That might be the case somewhere that doesn't have a winter but not here.

Also when you've already had snow for 6 months and eagerly waiting for summer and warmth getting more snow isn't fun.
>>
>>1071858
I don't intend to, I intend to get an SS.
>>
>>1067722
>what the fuck you want, a cookie.
chocolate chip please!
>>
Okay, so this has been hurting my head for a while.

The front derailleur's cable is connected, but not matter which limit screw I turn, I don't see any movement in the cage.

Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>>1074437
Has the derailleur spring seized? put drop of lube on it and see if that lets you adjust it easier.
>>
>>1074437
You're not supposed to adjust the limit screws while the FD cable is connected.
>>
File: spurdoapproval.jpg (8KB, 250x234px) Image search: [Google]
spurdoapproval.jpg
8KB, 250x234px
>tfw new commute is 100% downhill from my apartment and under 1km long
I think I'll just coast it on the MTB
>>
>>1071460
Manhattan ks
>>
>>1074437
if it's a brand new low end shimano fd there might be a lil plastic doodad blocking the spring
>>
>>1071080
>tfw im a mountainfred
i'm getting better at technical skills, but sometimes i'll still throw myself off the bike when i'm attempting an american bunnyhop because i'm putting too much power through my hips and not controlling my feet.
>>
>>1064047
It's not like you can stop it anyway.
Even in medieval times there were moments of extreme temperature changes. Even heard of little ice age?
>>
>>1064373
>Cycli/n/gcube
wew
>>
I wouldn't do it.

I see white trash girls out here randomly kicking bikes over in the racks or doing shit like taking qr wheels off and rolling them down hills

Or taking quick adjust seat posts and smacking her friend in the ass with it and throwing the seatlsaddle in a dumpster

It was a junky Raleigh I can't imagine having s modern cf fr
>>
>>1075387
https://xkcd.com/1732/
>>
>>1075389
All of the things you mentioned can be avoided by having a bike without stealme releases and proper use of a U-lock.
>>
>>1075398
Could you post something other than unfunny comics drawn by Hillary voter?
>>
>>1075448
Could you say something other than unfunny conspiracy said by Trump voter?
>>
File: Hayden Crash.jpg (53KB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
Hayden Crash.jpg
53KB, 660x371px
Anyone else here like to ride thru stop signs without stopping?
>>
>>1071745
I did it when I was 13-15, so yeah, you can do it.

In fact, it was much more (((fun))) swerving between cars than being stuck in bike lane traffic.
>>
>>1075455
This is older than Trump meme, you know that.
>>
>>1062166
So you're a brokeboi who still gets his ass chewed by his parents if he goes over the family plans data limit?

Don't bitch about it here I don't give a fuck you can't load images.
>>
>>1062155
Or get slime tubes.
>>
>>1075458
t-too soon ;_;
>>
>>1058221
They recently extended the bike path that runs the entire length of my city to 100m from my house so my commute is 95% off the road and would be perfect if I didn't have to cross through three sets of traffic lights
>>
>>1075557
You obviously do
>>
>>1075559
>slime tubes
Absolutely haram senpai. Just add some sealant to your tubes if you're worried about punctures.
>>
>>1075673
same shit for 50g extra you get puncture resistance.
>>
Just starting cycle commuting. From my door to work is 15 miles. Thirteen of those miles are on paved bike path but they go through (((vibrant))) parks. I'll live forever if I don't get shot.
>>
>>1075791
great motivation to ride harder, niggers can't hit fast moving targets for shit
>>
Do drop bars and skintight suits cause homosexuality/transvestism or is the other way around?
>>
>>1075791
>/pol/ doesn't even know how to use (((echo))) anymore
/pol/ is literally just reddit
>>
>>1075911
Does being slow cause intense insecurity, or is it the other way around?
>>
>>1075930
>sensible shorts + shirt combos make you slower

I'll give you the bit about drop bars since limited access to brakes will make you much faster.
>>
>>1075936
>drops
>limited access to brakes
Nigga what?

And wearing clothing other than a skinsuit will make you slower. Now if it makes sense to wear a full on skinsuit over well fitting cycling jersey and shorts is another case. Wearing baggy shorts and a shirt will make you considerably slower. And will flap annoyingly if you're on a long ride.
>>
File: normal_person.jpg (68KB, 298x400px) Image search: [Google]
normal_person.jpg
68KB, 298x400px
>>1075911
I think the issue here is american puritanism, societal repression and issues with latent homophobia.
>>
>>1075911
just wear a jersey and not-baggy shorts, then stop being a faggot who cares about the opinions of fatties and cagers
>>
what tire do you guys recommend for commuting?
>>
>>1058429
I have a Brooks on my trek.
>>
File: IMG_20170530_151544.jpg (3MB, 4208x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170530_151544.jpg
3MB, 4208x3120px
hello
>>
Anyone here have advice on packing a 3-peice suit into a pannier bag to avoid creasing?
I need to ride between jobs where one is in construction for a few hours and the next is in an office usually having meetings.
>>
>>1058221
never, that shit is retarded.

my tip is don't fucking do it get a car like any sane person preferably an electric car for small range commute!
>>
Best bang for buck pannier bags?
Thread posts: 264
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.