[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MARTA?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_9878.jpg (2MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9878.jpg
2MB, 3456x2304px
Since I live in Atlanta....what's y'all opinion towards MARTA?
>>
Always late, smells like piss.

Take an Uber, it's cheaper
>>
Never been, but the colour scheme looks stuck in the 70s.
>>
>>
>>1058112

I think it's on the up. The bus system overhaul is encouraging, and the expansion funding should help improve things in Atlanta Proper.

We'll see if the rest of the state can get its head out of its own ass, and help.
>>
At least most cancerous US cities are on a grid. Atlanta doesn't even have this. It is the worst planned city in the country.
>>
i think "moving africans rapidly through atlanta" explains it all
>>
Atlanta desperately needs expanded rail services. Yet the fucking NIMBYs outside the Perimeter won't let rail expand.
>>
Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta
>>
>>1058112
my experiences since moving here in 02 are largely positive. Haven't been riding much in the last few years, I'm becoming more of a shut-in.
>>
If your destination isn't far from the lines, it ain't bad, but not being able to expand north due to Cobb fuckery, and not expanding south of the airport to Peachtree city is criminal.

Buses... yeah, you're better off getting an uber.
>>
Never had reason to use it much, getting a ride was faster and cheaper.
If you live and work by stations and would have to commute during rush hour I guess it makes sense.
>>
>>1058627
>If your destination isn't far from the lines, it ain't bad, but not being able to expand north due to Cobb fuckery, and not expanding south of the airport to Peachtree city is criminal.

Well, politics are shifting for a Cobb (and Gwinnett) push to join. The Clayton high-capacity route is under study, and has funding for whatever it will be, so hopefully that'll get done in not too long.

>Buses... yeah, you're better off getting an uber.

At least they're starting to implement a better bus system. The Comprehensive Operations Analysis has some good stuff, with the Arterial Rapid Transit routes, frequent bus service routes, and circulators.
>>
>>1059199
politics are only shifting because the metric fuck ton of mexicans and californians(what's the difference, amirite?), that have moved in this century.
>>
>>1058112
ooga booga
>>
>>1059212
That's true for Gwinnett. Cobb has blacks moving in. Both will end up white minority... Gwinnett is actually already there. Joining MARTA is just a matter of time now. My guess is five years for Gwinnett, after census redistricting causes a huge change in the county commission. Cobb probably won't join until around 2030.
>>
>I-85 shut down for months

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyy lmmmmmmaooooooooooooooooooooooo

sprawl was a mistake
>>
>>1059784
cagers on suicide watch.

delicious.
>>
>>1059784

We may see some new ridership records set from this, who knows?
>>
>>1059784
>months

try the rest of the year.

firefighters will take till at least monday to make sure all the hot spots are gone. then a month of investigation. then a month or demolition. Months of construction. then a month of waiting for the concrete to cure. then a week of inspection.
>>
>>1059784

probably the same amount of time, or a little less, that it took to rebuild 35W bridge in Minneapolis. that took thirteen months
>>
>>1059801
>may
no, absolutely confirmed it will see at the very least a 10-15% uptick. Now what T-SPLOST has already been voted in, this can only galvanize all those dipshit NIMBY commuters who so vociferously voted against MARTA expansion for the past few decades

>>1059803
> then a month of investigation. then a month or demolition

The bridge performed exactly as it should have fared in such an event. A 'lengthy' investigation would portend only if it was a structural deficiency (aka falling by itself under normal service loads) or negligence by inspectors to spot residual cracking or differential settlement. The only investigation pertinent here is why GDOT (the lot in question is/was GDOT property, I know this having lived in the area for years) would store spools of flammable HDPE materials underneath a critical transit viaduct, so I suspect some heads are going to roll in a humiliating way for the city.

>>1059807
>comparing a 115' tall, almost 2,000' long bridge prone required to withstand repeated freeze/thaw cycles to a viaduct comprised of pre-fab reinforced concrete sections

These two cases are hardly comparable. The contractor responsible for this section of elevated freeway spans has already been contacted, as by law they must have these files fully traceable and accessible for events just like this. Given the now federal-level of intervention that this collapse has now required, everything possible to expedite the construction of multiple spans (as I'm inclined to believe the I-85S prefab span is also structurally compromised) will be implemented. These spans can begin pouring as soon as a few days from now assuming the same aggregate and PCC and supplementary materials vendors are still in around- I suspect no more than 40-60 days at the very most, but then again GDOT is pretty expedient at fumbling so I hope established private firms can guide the way as well

>t. Structural Engineering senior @ GTech
>>
>>1059833
>no, absolutely confirmed it will see at the very least a 10-15% uptick. Now what T-SPLOST has already been voted in, this can only galvanize all those dipshit NIMBY commuters who so vociferously voted against MARTA expansion for the past few decades

25% uptick in daily rides, with 80% rise in Breeze Card sales (but today was the day they shifted to the new card, so that'd do it, too).

This is on a day that a LOT of places were closed, and spring break is next week IIRC. We'll see how things go when everyone is supposed to be back in school and work.

Fuck, who knows, maybe this was just the thing needed to get people to FINALLY FUCKING EXPAND MARTA OUTSIDE OF THE CITY. For fucks sake.
>>
>>1058113
>Take an Uber, it's cheaper
lol what really
>>
>>1059833
>t. Structural Engineering senior @ GTech
Kaos or Foos
>>
>>1058509
Can somebody explain to me how the NIMBY's in Atlanta have as much power as they do, exactly?
>>
>>1059784
Wow, maybe the useless cagers and NIMBY's will be forced to admit that transit is necessary. There is a silver lining to every cloud.

>>1060018
Why should the subway go to the suburbs, exactly? I'd love to know. I mean, if it gets people to expand MARTA overall that's great, but if you send it to the suburbs then it will be almost entirely useless and a permanent strangling force on the system.
>>
>>1060662

There used to be two major automotive plants in town, one near the northern terminal for MARTA (torn down recently and being redeveloped), and another one down near the airport/fayeteville, so cars are kinda a big thing for the city.
>>
>>1060671
Youre comparing apples to oranges
>>
>>1060663
>Why should the subway go to the suburbs, exactly? I'd love to know. I mean, if it gets people to expand MARTA overall that's great, but if you send it to the suburbs then it will be almost entirely useless and a permanent strangling force on the system.

Not if you set each new station up as a Transit Oriented Development, generating revenue from the leases.

Also, who says MARTA is only the subway? They're seriously planning to build commuter rail in the southern part of the metro, will be building light rail in the core of the metro, will be building bus rapid transit in the core, and are in the process of implementing an overhaul of their bus network.

Now, more than ever, MARTA is an agency offering a full suite of transportation modes, which would be built out to match the needs of the new areas it reaches to.
>>
horn is dope
https://youtu.be/beLZq2webeQ?t=3m43s
>>
>>1060881
I don't know if this is an ATL thing or everywhere or what, but I've noticed the train operators doing that quiet, rapid horn honking as a courtesy to the people on the platform when the train goes through rather than stops.

"sorry, don't get up, don't come near the train, just passing through."
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.